55 Century 66R Project

Mudbone

Hey Mudd - Glad to see more how to videos and the yakety sax was a riot.   Paint here has been waiting for over 25 years - you're doing a superb job and appreciate you taking the time to make all the how to videos

Factory gaps on mine are recdiculous.  Same pinch at the trunk edge, same passenger door fitment issues at forward edge and top rear edge, driver side at fender to cowl.  Been staring at it wondering how to attack it. Your trunk and door edge gap fixes were interesting.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I found some lost video of Project 66R. (Coming home from the media blaster) On the way home one of the fender wells blew of the trailer. (Just minor damage) My son Matt filmed this. He still thinks he’s a comedian!

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

You just gotta love the women who worked all day and didn't complain.  Reminds me of my mom.  She'd be up and dressed with breakfast ready in the AM when I got up and still going strong when I went to bed.  She'd always tell me "Too soon old, too late smart."

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/14/2019 at 8:24 PM, Mudbone said:

I have been doing it all wrong!  

I guess so...everybody uses one don't they.:D

Since I never worked in a body shop, I don't know the "proper" tools so other devices become re-purposed:  like using stick-on sand paper on a carpenters level for the large flat panels.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@Mudbone Amazing motion in that video.  At that speed you should be done by last Tuesday I figure...😁  But like all your work, the final product looks fantastic! 

It's been a while. I forgot if you have already chosen top coat colors?

• 2 months later...

Looking good!

I started using the powder guide coat from 3M a couple years ago and have never looked back.  I've painted 5 cars with this stuff, and haven't even needed a refill yet.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-05861-Guide-Cartridge-Applicator/dp/B000PENEMM/ref=asc_df_B000PENEMM/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312429177733&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14007963278829060874&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9022943&hvtargid=pla-406825123634&psc=1

The first image is of the red 72 GSX that was at the meet last week.  The second is of my Skylark I did a couple years ago for our wedding.  Sometimes I use this on polyester high build primer if I am having trouble seeing imperfections when blocking.  Otherwise, I use it on the last coat of surfacer just before paint.  I use a small block with 6-800 grit to knock down the surfacer and sand until the guide coat is completely gone...all over.  This way, you can see EVERY spot or imperfection you missed in previous blocking and filling.

IMG_0103.jpg

IMG_6174.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Smartin said:

Looking good!

I started using the powder guide coat from 3M a couple years ago and have never looked back.  I've painted 5 cars with this stuff, and haven't even needed a refill yet.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-05861-Guide-Cartridge-Applicator/dp/B000PENEMM/ref=asc_df_B000PENEMM/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312429177733&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14007963278829060874&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9022943&hvtargid=pla-406825123634&psc=1

The first image is of the red 72 GSX that was at the meet last week.  The second is of my Skylark I did a couple years ago for our wedding.  Sometimes I use this on polyester high build primer if I am having trouble seeing imperfections when blocking.  Otherwise, I use it on the last coat of surfacer just before paint.  I use a small block with 6-800 grit to knock down the surfacer and sand until the guide coat is completely gone...all over.  This way, you can see EVERY spot or imperfection you missed in previous blocking and filling.

IMG_0103.jpg

IMG_6174.JPG

I have the powder also. I will probably use that next.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...