55 Century 66R Project

Mudbone

Slag is what came out the bottom of the burner used to fire our coal burning boilers. Ground up and I beleive called Star Brite when sold as blasting medium. That photo of the dash looks exactly like the surface of metal stuff I sandblast. Good 'toothy' surface for adhesion. It came out like molten lava and dropped into a water filled crusher to cool and then it also shattered a bit. Periodically hit timer button to crush then flushed into huge holding tanks 'sluiced'/pumped to trucks and used for paving.

Edited by 2carb40 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, old-tank said:

Did you consider the paint remover?  Paint the back side of the dash white or silver just in case you have to look for problems later.

Yes, but I also wanted the sealer and paint to stick. The glass beads helped to scuff it up a little.  Paint the back white or silver? The judges would knock off at least 20 points for that! Oh well its just a driver anyway........ :D

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Kosage Chavis said:

Looking awesome Mr Mud.

The hardest thing for me to do is get the 1500 grit sandpaper out and work on the run and the little nibs.

(It sure would be nice to have a dust free paint booth)

7 minutes ago, GARY F said:

Try a nib file.

I tried one when I did the roof and it left deep scratches. I may not have used it correctly but I found that if I use a cut off peace of a Dura-block with the 1500 sand paper, it works pretty good. It just kills me to do that to that very shinny and smooth surface. 😩

It's not impossible.  I've done it for years with no real ventilation...but I am putting together an air recirculator that will filter the air in one side and filter again on the way out.  They make them commercially, but are really expensive. My goal with the recirculation is to keep the same temperature in the room without having to draw in cold/hot air from outside.  Your paint environment and the surface you're painting needs to be warm (no less than 60*).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I found some interesting history on Project 66R. I purchased the car in 1995 from a guy that purchased it from the original owner. He had not put the car in his name. The title still had the original owner info on it. (I looked at the car while we were on vacation) I made him an offer and he did not accept it. One month later he calls and accepted my offer. I had it hauled home to my place of work. I had written a letter to the original owner using the address on the title. It was some time before I received a letter back. (I attached a copy of the letter) I was hoping to get some original family photos of the car when it was new. I never heard back from her. I was looking for something else in the Buick file and found the letter. I decided to search Facebook for relatives of this couple. I typed in his name and a Jerry Tolve came up and he lived in Denver Co. He had others in his group with the same last name. I sent him a message and asked him if he may be related to this couple. He responded that he was. It was his grandfather’s brother!

There is still hope!!!!

Letter from Tolve031.jpg

Letter from Tolve032.jpg

Edited by Mudbone (see edit history)
  • Like 6

22 hours ago, Mudbone said:

I found some interesting history on Project 66R. I purchased the car in 1995 from a guy that purchased it from the original owner. He had not put the car in his name. The title still had the original owner info on it. (I looked at the car while we were on vacation) I made him an offer and he did not accept it. One month later he calls and accepted my offer. I had it hauled home to my place of work. I had written a letter to the original owner using the address on the title. It was some time before I received a letter back. (I attached a copy of the letter) I was hoping to get some original family photos of the car when it was new. I never heard back from her. I was looking for something else in the Buick file and found the letter. I decided to search Facebook for relatives of this couple. I typed in his name and a Jerry Tolve came up and he lived in Denver Co. He had others in his group with the same last name. I sent him a message and asked him if he may be related to this couple. He responded that he was. It was his grandfather’s brother!

There is still hope!!!!

Letter from Tolve031.jpg

Letter from Tolve032.jpg

The car was green and red?

4 hours ago, JohnD1956 said:

The car was green and red?

Not the green in the photo. He did a quick paint job over the main body. It was Cherokee red top and turquoise below. I could not do it! I had to go with a better color combo than that. I think someone ordered it by mistake. (At least I hope they did) I attached the ID tag. I also attached a photo showing the turquoise around the tail lights and door jambs.

HPIM5815.JPG

20210123_091020nppp.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Hi, just had a few entertaining hours with your project. Great work and admire your perseverance.

If you have not done anything with your radio you may want to consider the Aurora Designs conversion that I had done on my 1963 Riviera and having done to my 1963 Skylark radio.

If you look up Aurora Designs on the internet, a demonstration shows how a Buick Wonderbar radio was converted to am/fm/mp3/Bluetooth/make a cup of coffee/ just about everything while retaining the original looks and function. You will be amazed by what it will do quite simply.

not a cheap option but a few inspections will cover the cost!

Not associated with them at all ( just a really happy customer) but really like what they do as opposed to all the options that are put forward. You can also upgrade your existing speakers to three way units that will fit the existing mountings. The output is enough to play music louder than you would ever want.

And if the clock is a Borg unit, it can be cleaned and repaired to make it work again. Again a great video on Borg clock repair that inspired me to do mine and it WORKS!

just my two bobs worth

Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀😀😀

• Like 1

11 hours ago, rodneybeauchamp said:

Hi, just had a few entertaining hours with your project. Great work and admire your perseverance.

If you have not done anything with your radio you may want to consider the Aurora Designs conversion that I had done on my 1963 Riviera and having done to my 1963 Skylark radio.

If you look up Aurora Designs on the internet, a demonstration shows how a Buick Wonderbar radio was converted to am/fm/mp3/Bluetooth/make a cup of coffee/ just about everything while retaining the original looks and function. You will be amazed by what it will do quite simply.

not a cheap option but a few inspections will cover the cost!

Not associated with them at all ( just a really happy customer) but really like what they do as opposed to all the options that are put forward. You can also upgrade your existing speakers to three way units that will fit the existing mountings. The output is enough to play music louder than you would ever want.

And if the clock is a Borg unit, it can be cleaned and repaired to make it work again. Again a great video on Borg clock repair that inspired me to do mine and it WORKS!

just my two bobs worth

Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀😀😀

Thanks for the info. I contacted a guy on the Aurora design list about an hour away from me. He can do it in the next week or so. I am going to drop it off after work this week. It will only cost me 1.25 inspections!

Wow, that is good news! Nice to have it looking nice.

Your posts, like many others are real inspirations for our own projects. All the fiddly parts you do are a great resource!

cheers

Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀😀

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...