Mudbone

55 Century 66R Project

Coming soon!  Project 66R updates. As of now I am planning to take a day off next week to do some work on the 66R. I have a high spot on the right ¼ panel where I welded in a patch where the inner fender held water and rusted a small hole. A friend is coming over with his shrinking disc so we can get that ¼ ready for primer. We also plan on installing the hood so I can finish the fender door alignment.

• Like 4

That should be interesting, both the metal shrinking and especially the hood,fender and door alignment, I've been waiting on that one. Bet that will eat up some video footage:)

I am getting ready to do some work on Project 66R. First I have to find the hood!

• Like 1

We decided to work on the right rear quarter panel first. I welded in a patch years ago and warped the metal somewhat. I was not able get the high spots out with a hammer and dolly so we are using a shrinking disc. It took a while but we got it.

• Like 2

I put it in my Will that if I die before I finish the car it is to be shipped directly to Mike Middleton to be finished and then he has to drive it by my gravesite and honk!

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Mudbone said:

I put it in my Will that if I die before I finish the car it is to be shipped directly to Mike Middleton to be finished and then he has to drive it by my gravesite and honk!

He has to finish his first....;)

• Like 4

"You've got to be careful when you have another car sitting around...all of a sudden it becomes a parts car".

Mudbone

Yep.

4 hours ago, buick5563 said:

"You've got to be careful when you have another car sitting around...all of a sudden it becomes a parts car".

Mudbone

Yep.

Even with some pieces missing, if it runs & drives, I still consider it to be a 'work in progress'.  Once enough pieces come off such that it no longer drives -- then it's a parts car!  :o

On 11/13/2016 at 5:28 PM, Mudbone said:

I am getting ready to do some work on Project 66R. First I have to find the hood!

The hood rests right between the front fenders! I know, I asked my wife!

After a year of distractions I finally had a few hours to work on project 66R. I started the process of lining up hood, fenders and doors before paint preparation. (I just had to put on some shiny stuff just for fun)

• Like 3

I have been waiting for an update on this Buick.  Simply gorgeous.  Can't wait to see more.  Thank you Mr Mudd.

I worked on the project 66R most of the day. If this was one of those restoration reality shows I would be driving off into the sunset at the end of this video.

• Like 4

Buick Saturday: How many times can I take a fender off and on in one day?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mudbone said:

Buick Saturday: How many times can I take a fender off and on in one day?

I do not think many people understand this phenomenon (and they get less understanding if there is an hourly bill attached) - I spend hours and hours fitting things that had very decent alignment when I took them off and then when done and taken off to paint again then spend hours refitting (whole days often go by in process too). 

• Like 1

It appears that my welding skills have not improved significantly but my grinding skills have!  LOL

• Like 3

I just had a birthday and realized that I'm old! I guess I better pick up the pace on the 55!

• Like 6

Hey Mudd - Glad to see more how to videos and the yakety sax was a riot.   Paint here has been waiting for over 25 years - you're doing a superb job and appreciate you taking the time to make all the how to videos

Factory gaps on mine are recdiculous.  Same pinch at the trunk edge, same passenger door fitment issues at forward edge and top rear edge, driver side at fender to cowl.  Been staring at it wondering how to attack it. Your trunk and door edge gap fixes were interesting.

Nice!  I did a time lapse a couple weeks ago...

• Like 2

It has been so long since I shot primer, I forgot I have an HVLP primer gun!!!

• Like 4