55 Century 66R Project

Mudbone

8 minutes ago, Mudbone said:

I went to Fall Jefferson WI. (Car Show and Swap Meet) There are always one or two Chrome plating shops at the show. I took the two front ash tray plates so I could get a price. (Just the flat plates not the pot metal handles) Anyone have a guess on what they wanted to re-plate them?

20220924_074848.jpg

$90 each

• 3 months later...

I finally got back to working on Project 66R. I was going to swap dist gears this morning. I picked up a 56 distributor on Ebay. It looks like I got a little rough with getting the gear off of the 56 distributor. I ground down one end of the peened pin and drove it out holding it with two hardwood blocks. Then I held the distributor upside down and held the gear with a gloved hand and used a punch to drive out the shaft. After running it through the bead blaster I see this…….

20230114_134506.jpg

20230114_141724.jpg

I have a complete distributor that I purchased at eBay.  However, for a 1954 264. I suspect the gear is probably the same for either the 264/322? If you would like me to take a look for part number on the distributor let me know. If it's the part you need I'll send it along to you. Let me know 

On 1/14/2023 at 10:06 PM, NailheadBob said:

To open up your search 

part # 1923262 fits ‘53 V-8, ‘54 & 55.

I will check with Frank that has ‘55 blue and white century wagon tomorrow and let you know 

Bob

Frank didn’t have distributor gear or distributor assembly,

but another possibility, Frank installed a 1957 Buick complete distributor assembly 15 years ago with no issues.

if you would like to talk to Frank PM me and I will give you his contact information.

Bob

• Like 1

53-55 nailheads used steel camshafts and distributors with compatible gears.  56 used cast camshafts with a different compatible distributor gear.  57 and later nailheads with a different distributor can supply the compatible gear or function as a swap.  Consequences of this incompatibility?  "Theory" say the gear on the cam will be destroyed, but most early nails that have been rebuilt have this incompatibility and are running fine (?).

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Buick Friday? I was able to get the ash trays back together and installed. I also polished the trim on the clock and installed that in the dash. This will be my 3rd attempt to paint the glove box. The Last two times I sanded through the clear coat. This time a little more, clear coat is going on…….

20230310_203447.jpg

20230310_203458.jpg

20230310_151305.jpg

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

I have an extra NOS one.  I don't think it is exactly like yours but it is close.  It was included in a NOS Ford accessory installation kit from 1960.  These were equivalent to the plastic cable ties we use today.  I don't know if they are reproduced.  PM your mailing address and I'll send it to you if you're interested. 

IMG_0587.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, rick60 said:

I have an extra NOS one.  I don't think it is exactly like yours but it is close.  It was included in a NOS Ford accessory installation kit from 1960.  These were equivalent to the plastic cable ties we use today.  I don't know if they are reproduced.  PM your mailing address and I'll send it to you if you're interested. 

IMG_0587.jpg

Thanks, but let me look around and see if I can find it. 

I am very close to installing the dash. I have most of the wiring connected. I have the oil psi tube through the firewall. All the cables are connected to the heat and vent levers. Any advice on installing the dash? The stand I have will keep it at the correct level until I get to the point of bolting it up.