Mudbone

55 Century 66R Project

I would just fabricate that part, looks pretty simple

Might be harder if its tapered

Mick

My Special had that same rot. I lucked out on my Century. I will have to check if I have any good ones. Is it just the right side?

My Special had that same rot. I lucked out on my Century. I will have to check if I have any good ones. Is it just the right side?

Yep, I did the left a few years ago.

I would just fabricate that part, looks pretty simple

Might be harder if its tapered

Mick

Mick, I’m not too good at fabricating. I had such good results when I replaced the section on the left fender I wanted the easy way out. Mr. Earl came to my rescue and has a section on the way. Thanks, Mud

Glad you found the part, certainly nothing wrong with doing it your way with an original piece. 

My point was, take some sheet metal the same/approx. thickness, WRAP/FORM it around a welding cylinder until you get the curve you like.  then take another flat piece of steel, and make the front bolt section, drill it like the other side, from a pattern.  Weld it to the curved part you had already made, grind the welds, weld in place.

Wishing you the best, I'm, NOT TRYING TO BE A KNOW IT ALL, 

Dale in Indy

• Like 1

A day late getting it to the PO Mud but should be to you Monday.. Just curious, the one I sent you has some surface rust and light pitting but nothing a bit of high build can't handle, would this particular area, top of headlight, be the same on a large series. I had a nicer one on a 55 Super I could have cut. I meant to have held the Century one up to the Super and answered my own question but forgot.

Wishing you the best, I'm, NOT TRYING TO BE A KNOW IT ALL, 

Dale in Indy

But it's just so hard  for you to hide, isn't it Smitty. he he ha ha

One thing I know for sure,,,,,,,,I have the ability to see, be inspired, JUMP in head first in projects that I LIKE, B4 I understand what all is involved.

Kind of goes with my loving, ( to do those things I don't know how to do ). My current arty piece is an example, 331 pieces, plus 129 copper rivets, 460 total pieces. Oh well, so far it's only taken 6-plus months of my life.

Loving every minute though,

Dale in Indy

A day late getting it to the PO Mud but should be to you Monday.. Just curious, the one I sent you has some surface rust and light pitting but nothing a bit of high build can't handle, would this particular area, top of headlight, be the same on a large series. I had a nicer one on a 55 Super I could have cut. I meant to have held the Century one up to the Super and answered my own question but forgot.

I'm sure it will be fine. I think any GM car of that era would work for a patch. Olds and Pontiac would work too.

I had a good day in the garage yesterday. I was able to get the patch MrEarl sent me welded in and a skim of filler on it.

post-94171-0-79823100-1453045340_thumb.j

post-94171-0-87257600-1453045353_thumb.j

post-94171-0-27394000-1453045375_thumb.j

post-94171-0-91666100-1453045401_thumb.j

Edited by Mudbone (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Great work. Always like to watch your threads.

I will have a video when I get time.

Perty darn nice!!!  Love seeing old metal live on.

Buick Saturday: I was out in the garage at 7:30 A.M. ready to get a lot done, and then I looked at the mess I left from the last two weekends. So I started cleaning and putting things away. I was then able to install my right side hood hinge spring and blasted the left one and got it painted. I started looking for hardware for the right inner and outer fender. The only thing I am missing is the front mount bolt for the inner fender. I will look at the left one and match it up. I came in about 5:00 P.M. I was Pooped!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4QbBhDZTpo

• Like 4

Great tool you made there Mud! BTW, I've decided your signature doesn't apply anymore....you make EVERYTHING look "easy". Here's hoping you keep up the videos on reassembly of the front clip as I have one I need to put back together "someday"

Full day in the garage. Working on the right fender and door adjustment. They don’t fit any better than when I took it apart. I would like to get them as close as possible before installing the hood.

post-94171-0-57314800-1454805283_thumb.j

post-94171-0-39368900-1454805291_thumb.j

Must say that I love the "noodle" across the front :)

I can imagine what the inspiration for that came from

Must say that I love the "noodle" across the front :)

I can imagine what the inspiration for that came from

Yep, after banging my knee into it a dozen times, the noodle did the trick!

Yep, after banging my knee into it a dozen times, the noodle did the trick!

Smart.

• Like 1