Hershey Swap meet Observations

Guest BJM

It was my 1st time at Hershey. I only had Friday but tried to at least get through some of it. I collect mainly Buicks, Chrysler, Peerless and dabble in the orphans.

1st, mostly Ford and Chevy stuff. 2nd, all very overpriced in my opinion. The average price for a "thing" - whatever the "thing" might be (hubcaps/chrome/hard parts) - seemed to be $175.

Lots and lots of brass headlamps or such for exorbitant prices. And I thought - OK with so much supply and so few people doing brass cars, weren't these overpriced?

Ran into an early 60's Ford parts seller that said he did not sell anything. See above for pricing.

I thought swap meets were for selling. Headlight buckets for 30's cars- $150 and up.

Boxes and boxes of parts, highly used when reproductions are available.

Very little Buick, Olds, Cadillac etc parts. Multiple people offering 41 Cadillac grilles for $400 or such.

Most of the shop manuals I wanted, the "paper" stuff like sales catalogs etc priced about $20 to $35 over what I would pay for them.

Most shop manuals about $45. I tried to get a 260Z Datsun fold out brochure and he quoted me $10 and I said $5 and he said no sale $10.

In and of itself, not much, but I was just getting started and ended up with ads, a poster, a sales brochure, etc.

I saw no Buick hubcaps, few Buick parts, few orphan parts except Packard and high prices on those. I even walked around Friday afternoon until 5pm and saw little evidence of bargaining.

Impossible to cover the entire event in one day! I saw a LOT of buying going on and most of the vendors I talked to were very happy with this year's results. Guess it is all about perspective as we all have different experiences. I do not get to do the flea market but in rushing around i got a few treasures and bargains. Thanks to an AACA member I got a priceless piece of literature that I have donated already to our library.

I always get aggravated at vendors who will not negotiate a bit or come down on prices any. I understand they have overhead with gas costs, flea market space costs and lodging which is ridiculous in Hershey during the show, but what gets me is that often you can go back for several years and see the same part just sitting there not sold. Same with antique dealers. I saw something on a rack years ago that had a $95 price tag, it was an old rifle with surface rust and cobwebs on it. I asked the guy if he'd take $50 for it, he said the price was on it at $95. Two years later I went into the same place and the rifle was still sitting there getting rustier and had never sold. I know if I was in business like that the key would be turnover, turnover and turnover. You know he did not pay $95 for it. The same with car parts. Why not negotiate a fair price with someone to get the item off your trailer and into the marketplace to make a fellow car restorer happy instead of hoping you get that one sucker who will pay your ridiculous asking price for it. Every year you ask a vendor how's he doing, and they complain that sales are slow, no wonder!

I was at Hershey all day Friday, and the Hershey price premium is well known. If you have a large pool of buyers, you stand a better chance of getting a higher price. I'm mainly looking for musclecar era parts, which have yet to make great inroads at Hershey. The good news is that if you know what you're looking at, there are some great bargains to be had. For example, I found a brand new Auburn posi carrier for a 7.5" GM rear axle. Not exactly what the majority of Hershey buyers would be looking for, so I snagged it for $80. Price in the discount catalogs is over $400. I'm happy.

I also end up buying more tools than anything at swap meets else these days. One of the few upsides of dealerships closing down is that a lot of the specialized Kent Moore factory tools are now for sale at swap meets and on ebay. If you know what you're looking for, it can be a tremendous bargain.

Of course, one of the joys of a swap meet like Hershey is just walking the rows and stumbling over a completely mysterious part. The "what the heck is THAT?" discussion is always enlightening.

I only vend ocasionally at small meets but here is a perspective - I don't price things with the expectation that I will discount at 50%, but usually am willing to "take a few bucks off". I agree sometimes the price on some mediocre parts may seem high, but I have also been on the other end where someone wants a $125 item for $50 or $75.

I was happy to find a clean trim piece for my car that, at $125, seemed fair enough to me as the repro sells for $100. I don't care what it cost the vendor, I needed it and prefer original stuff.

Made a couple classic mistakes this year, thinking about something too long but made some good buying choices this year also. Thrilled to nail a very early "oilzum" sign for $200, yes, we did some bargaining but I did not expect to get it for $50 either.

So much stuff, my biggest problem was forgetting about something after leaving the area or the meet. Dawned on me yesterday that I was considering a nice Mobil Gargoyle can and went back to get it late Friday, still there but I got distracted speaking to some friends and forgot all about it until yesterday! So the lesson "if you think you want it, buy it then and there" was re-taught!

BJM, sorry the experience was not ideal. The only other advice I would give would be if you are that limited in time, immediately buy a program and search out the Buick guys, stay focused on your main objectives. Poking is great fun but before you know it half the day is gone.. Hope you still enjoyed it enough to come back next year!

I was pretty happy overall. I bought quite a few parts. I even found a few parts that fit my own vehicles. My wife and I are always amazed to see some of the vendors drag in NOS parts that have been treated like old garbage ask top dollar for them and then leave them and the few good boxes out in the rain. Then just throw them in boxes beating against each other when they pack up.

I rescued some stuff from a few vendors. It's hard to buy stuff from many vendors as alot of them don't mark prices and the package price for say 10 items is a whole world apart from the price they give you on 1 or 2 items.

I remember one year when it was really raining, watch an older vendor pull out a bunch of super nice minty looking GM accessory boxes with chrome guards and what not in them and stick them out in the pouring rain. You could watch he boxes just disintegrate. What a shame.

Highlights I would say include a pair of NOS 63 Buick Special wagon tail lights from a vendor for $55, A NOS park light bezel for my 56 Olds for less than $10:D

A couple of 1940's Temperature gauges for less than $10 a piece and a whole box of 10 NOS Delco Heater blower motors for $50

Had an interesting Purchase as well. I bought a tail panel moulding in the box with insert for 1975 Lincoln cars and left it with the vendor. He said leave it with him and pick it up on our way out. We said we would pick it up later that day or by noon on Friday on our way home. He even had us put our name on it and put it in his truck. When we went to pick it up he said you already came and got it. Then asked why we paid for it a second time? Seems someone else came along and bought it from him a second time out of the back of his truck which was closed with a cap on it. He appologized and gave us our money back but wow that was a first. My wife and I dress fairly unique and are pretty young. Hard to believe a second couple looking like us came by to buy that same part.

The attached photo shows my Hershey haul this year.

post-43003-143138324359_thumb.jpg

Lots and lots of brass headlamps or such for exorbitant prices. And I thought - OK with so much supply and so few people doing brass cars, weren't these overpriced?

Again, that's your perspective. I mentioned this in another thread, people who aren't interested in some aspect of the hobby somehow think that no one should be, or is, interested. There are plenty of people "doing" brass cars, and if you need a specific set of lights, they can be expensive. I was with a friend last year, looking for a specific set of brass lights, and when he found them was pleased to get them at a fair price.

Hershey is more than just prices for parts, it's a whole experience of seeing old and new friends, everyone with a common link of loving the old cars......

This was my first year as a vendor. I brought a wide selection of stuff collected by multiple people over a bunch of years. I had everything marked at what I thought was a reasonable price. I took less on most but had a few items that I refused to go lower on, as they were already marked too low. For example, I had an older 1930/1931 stainless steel Model A Ford Radiator Stone Guard in perfect flawless but dusty condition. It was marked $75 as I know that newer reproduction items, which are not quite as well made, are priced at $150. They buyer tried to talk me down but that was one of the things that I refused to reduce. He paid the $75 and took it away. There was a Model A Ford aftermarket vendor across the aisle from me. He had a $150 one hanging up that did not sell. The buyer got a great deal and I was happy to get a reasonable price out of it and free up some space in the garage.

I had a lot of fun seeing folks dig through my $1 boxes. Those items sold well.

I met a lot of old friends, met some Discussion Forum members for the first time and had a blast! I can't wait for next year.

Bill and I were able to sell some books to a vendor for $25 and an old Ford wrench to another vendor for $3, all of which was spent later at food booths so we made and left the money at Hershey. :D Hopefully those items did, or will, find a good home with someone that needs or wants them.

I met a lot of old friends, met some Discussion Forum members for the first time and had a blast! I can't wait for next year.

I was a little disappointed that no one asked about my DFer button, as I wore it all weekend. I did explain to one AACA member that you can still order these buttons from David Devine.

I hope that is still accurate, David??

Wayne

Well BJM, glad you were able to make it, too bad you only had one day as that is not enough to catch everything.

A Buick/Olds/Pontiac guy can indeed be disappointed at Hershey. More often than not I went through and came out with nothing I needed for my 1957 Pontiac, all the while people chortling that "if you can't find it here you don't need it" or even worse "if you can't find it here it doesn't exist." Annoying to me, thank you, last year there was not even a 1957 Pontiac in the show, so I guess they must not exist at all, correct? But that is the BOP experience at most swap meets.

Regarding the parts for sale, I guess any swap meet is only as good as what you happen to find. There are always bargans to be found, but even for 1957 Pontiacs it is only a bargan if someone needs the item. If you don't need brass headlamps they are quite overpriced at $175 or whatever, but if you need that part and it is a good example you may think it is a real find. It is indeed a treasure hunt and in the eye of the beholder. Todd

Well this was my first time at Hershey. I guess I must just go to too many car shows and swap meets because most of the vendors seemed to have the same stuff as what can be found anywhere else, there are just a lot more of them. I guess maybe if you are looking for prewar stuff, there might be more of that at Hershey. I walked every single aisle, and did not miss a thing. It took me a day and a half. Of course I don't bother digging through booths with Model A parts etc. since I don't need that, I just glance at it and keep walking. Didn't bother looking thorugh literature either since I already have every brochure for my car.

I have heard 2 things. First, if you can't find it at Herhsey, you can't find it anywhere. Second, complaints that there is not enough prewar stuff anymore, it is too much 1960's and 1970's stuff. Both are untrue. I'm glad I don't really need much for my car because I didn't find anything there. I saw 2 grilles and a couple of hubcaps. That is it. I don't need one, but couldn't even find something as simple as a taillight. Those can be found any day of the week on Ebay. I hardly saw any 1970's parts. Most of the stuff was prewar or 1950's. So I have no clue what the prewar guys are complaining about.

My big purchase at Hershey, drum roll................ one 8 track tape. That is all I bought after walking the entire swap meet.

I even checked out the Packard vendors since someday I would like to have a '56. Plenty of parts, but prices were the same or higher as what you can get them for on Ebay. And I also heard several vendors complaining that Ebay is killing their business, then they say that if they ever get anything really good, they don't bother to bring it to the swap meet, they just sell it on Ebay. Even heard one guy say "I had everything this guy needed for his Packard, and he wouldn't buy a thing. The only reason I can think of is he must be selling it, and doesn't want to put the money into it." Really, your exorbitant prices couldn't be the reason?

As far as the car corral, it looked like the trend is for very low mileage cars with ridiculous prices. I saw early 1980's Olds Delta 88 and a Toronado both with 15,000 miles or so for $12,000 for the Delta and $23,000 for the Toro. Nobody is even really interested in those cars yet, and certainly not at those ridiculous prices. If you want one, a very nice one can be had for less than $5,000 any day of the week. Any interest I had in a 1961 Imperial coupe was killed by its $52,000 price tag. Value guides place it at $23,000 for a #1 condition, and this car would have been lucky to be considered #2. Bathtub Packard woody for $300,000? Didn't seem like a deal. Most interesting to me was a 1956 pink and white Imperial coupe. Didn't see a price on it. Too much is my guess.

I'm glad I went and had the experience. If it was less than a 3 hour drive, I'd go back. But it isn't worth a 15+ hour drive plus gas and hotel to go back again. I'd rather go to Auburn.

Edited by LINC400 (see edit history)

Hi Linc400, the overpriced cars for sale are a Hershey tradition, that is for sure. I cannot know but I have wondered before if some car corral people's primary goal was a prime parking space. Then if a sucker will pay the price they will take it but otherwise, no problem, see you next year. Just a theory.

A Buick/Olds/Pontiac guy can indeed be disappointed at Hershey.

Yeah, and at pretty much any other swap meet, as well. Even the swap area at the OCA Nationals this year was a little disappointing. And for those who think Hershey prices are high, try a swap meet where you have a captive, one-marque audience! :eek:

This was my first Hershey. I could only be there for one day, and since I didn't particularly need anything from the flea market, I chose Saturday. I expected it to be the busiest day, since it was the weekend. I got there around 10 am and expected to spend the whole day. Well, by noon, the flea market was already empty. By one o'clock, the cars were already leaving the show field, before I could check out most of them. I walked around a bit since I was already there anyway, but it was very disappointing. Had I known, I might as well have stayed home, really.

The biggest impression on me was made by a very friendly older gent with a Model T that was in his family since new. I got a quick lesson in operating those pedals, which was fun. The best deal I saw in the car corral was a yellow 1985 Eldorado with leather and sunroof for $2500. Being that I own a '79 Chevy in the same color, I must have appreciated it more than other people who hurried past it. It would have made a great daily driver for someone. My only puchase was a 50 cent AACA sticker. I'll be back next year, though.

This was my first Hershey. I could only be there for one day, and since I didn't particularly need anything from the flea market, I chose Saturday. I expected it to be the busiest day, since it was the weekend. I got there around 10 am and expected to spend the whole day. Well, by noon, the flea market was already empty. By one o'clock, the cars were already leaving the show field, before I could check out most of them. I walked around a bit since I was already there anyway, but it was very disappointing. Had I known, I might as well have stayed home, really.

Saturday in the flea market has been dead for quite a while. My dad stayed open, but from a customer standpoint, it was barely worth being open. Friday is a good day. With the High Wheeler and Race Car demonstrations, they're good. Usually Tuesday and Wednesday are our best days.

Unless you're coming to see the cars on the show field, Saturday is not your day. Traffic going out of town at the end of the day is always the worst too.

One: Asking prices and selling prices may be two different things! A lot of cars were sold in the flea market, 100% (one was iffy) at the RM Auction and sales were good at the corral from what we heard. Ridiculous prices, again, to whom. If you "overpay" for a car that you want, plan on keeping and are happy with then is that really overpaying? I understand the sentiment but have always felt that you cannot overpay for a car you want to enjoy. Overpaying for an investment is a whole other story.

Anyway, the people who stopped me and the emails this morning have been effusive in their praise for this year's meet. I saw more brass stuff there this year than I have seen in about 10 years.

Very pleased that Friday was an apparent record attendance at the show (at least based on parking totals).

Linc, there is a whole other reason people attend Hershey...the PEOPLE! When you make friends at Hershey they seem to last a lifetime. It is a reason a lot of people have attended the fall meet for 50 and more!

Anyway, the people who stopped me and the emails this morning have been effusive in their praise for this year's meet. I saw more brass stuff there this year than I have seen in about 10 years.
....and it was praise well deserved my friend.

As for the brass cars, I feel that they're starting to go back in demand.

I have to agree that just because a car -- or part --is priced above what "you" would pay, doesn't necessarily mean it's overpriced. And not every vendor there is set up to make a sale. So even if it is "overpriced," it may be there just to draw attention. As Steve says, Hershey is just as much about socializing as it is about finding specific parts.

And I also believe that many of those "Ford vendors" have other parts for which they don't even know what they go to. If you completely ignore them and walk right by, you are not looking hard enough. There has been many a time that a badly needed part -- even rare parts -- has been found in a box of "what is it?" For instance, last year a friend was looking through a bucket of voltage regulators and found an overdrive relay, which looks very similar. He paid $10 for a $400 item. I once found a $500 limousine clock and paid $20. You can't walk by the vendors that look like all they have is "brand A" stuff and say that you looked at everything. Like the Stephen Grabel headlights that were bought this year for about 10 percent of their value.

Guest Skyking

As far as the car corral, it looked like the trend is for very low mileage cars with ridiculous prices. I saw early 1980's Olds Delta 88 and a Toronado both with 15,000 miles or so for $12,000 for the Delta

There was a 85 Delta 88 Royale Brougham right across from where we were set up with a price of $7250. The car had 35,000 miles and was brand new in condition. The next day he dropped the price to $6250. Finally on Friday he wrote "the car must sell, make a reasonable offer."

I was very tempted to make an offer. I think there were some nice bargains if you looked hard enough.

I also end up buying more tools than anything at swap meets else these days.

I knew I would not be buying a lot of "heavy" stuff so i actually went for the services vendors and catalogs. I was happy but as Steve noted - not enough time to hit all of them.

It's a smorgousbord of car clubs all in one place too but I only found a couple.

I wanted to talk to the products vendors, the parts vendors, so I was able to do so.

BJM, sorry the experience was not ideal. The only other advice I would give would be if you are that limited in time, immediately buy a program and search out the Buick guys, stay focused on your main objectives. Poking is great fun but before you know it half the day is gone.. Hope you still enjoyed it enough to come back next year!

Steve,

I was not disappointed entirely -trust me it's a great event. I think the 1st time you go, you don't expect much - you (me) are just trying to get your feet wet so to speak.

I bought a program right off the bat and was overwhelmed. I found the Buick Club tent, most of the others but just ran out of time.

Next time I go I will alot 3 days. Thurs, Fri and Saturday for the car show.

I would agree on the Buick hubcaps for the teens, but you cannot have everything. I was pleased with my couple of days.

Buick hubcaps - I would not have minded getting some ornamental hubcaps and hood ornaments for my collection but $75 for an old Buick hubcap?

$200 for a hood ornament?

Jake,

If you can make it four days, you should consider it. In my limited experience, the good stuff tends to get sold on Wednesday. Thursday and Friday would give you more time to go to more vendors. Many vendors are gone on Saturday, probably because many of the vendors either have a car in the show or are judges.

Jake,

Not all, but a lot of prices in the swap meet spaces are starting points for negotiation. You never know what you might get unless you ask. You don't lose anything by making an offer.

Well BJM, glad you were able to make it, too bad you only had one day as that is not enough to catch everything.

A Buick/Olds/Pontiac guy can indeed be disappointed at Hershey. Todd

Todd,

Now that I think about it, IF Hershey had had some of the critical Buick parts I need I probably would have paid the price to get them BUT I would have had to make a tough decision as I could not have afforded to drop serious cash on everything.

But I didn't have to worry. I own a 63 Electra, 66 GS, 72 and 73 Centurions and an 88 Lesabre T Type admittedly too new. There wasn't much of anything.

Also- I saw some parts that might have worked but were not marked so did not want to gamble on buying something only to get it home and find it did not fit or work.

I would have DIED for a 72 right rear plastic taillamp cover and would have overpaid just to wrap that rascal up.

I have noticed in other swap meets tons of repop and NOS taillamps. This year at Hershey not so much. Of course, I did not hit it all.

I haven't missed a Hershey meet since 1969, think I first started vending in 1971. If I want to sell something at market value it goes on eBay, it is open 24/7/365, Hershey is were I bring the leftovers, I don't think I'm alone with this setup. I have a One and Five dollar pile, and mark the 10-25 dollar items with tags. If someone makes an offer 99% of the time I accept it. I had one item I thought had value, sold it on Wendsday and was very happy to drop $75.00 off my asking price, easy to do when I got it for FREE. Pushed my two wheeled hand truck around with a large milk crate Tuesday through Friday, bought a rearview mirror, & front hub, future eBay items. Killer find for me was a circa 1928 Chrysler tube front axle with hubs and steering arms, and a Model A Ford rear body section. Meeting old friends is the main reason to go to Hershey, putting a face on an internet ID is a lot of fun too. Sure,. it isn't what it used to be, but what is? See you in 2011...........I may even have a car finished for the show.

This was my first Hershey. I could only be there for one day, and since I didn't particularly need anything from the flea market, I chose Saturday. I'll be back next year, though.

Next year consider Friday for a single day. I was there until 5pm with a lot of vendors packing it in. It's all too common especially if there is a car show on the "last" day.

Next time I would do Thursday, Friday and half a day Saturday (for the car show) .

Having a good eye is important. A friend last year found the rear fenders for a 1941 Crosley Woody Wagon that he had been looking for for 35 years. He had to talk the owner into not only selling them to him but taking them off the trailer he used to haul his parts to Hershey. It was the last major parts he needed so he could start his restoration. It won the PreWar class at the Crosley Nationals this year.

In years past he has went down the same row I have and found Crosley parts I never saw. I find after walking for awhile I'm just walking, my brain has gotten saturated and can't compute what I'm seeing anymore. I try to catch myself when that happens and take a break, even if it is just striking up a conversation with a vendor for a few minutes.

And if you Buick/Pontiac/Olds people thing those parts are hard to find at Hershey try Crosleys, but the fun is in the hunt and I always find lots of other interesting things to buy or at least look at. Much better than a museum where you can just look.

People always ask what I'm looking for and I usually tell them I will know when I find it. I believe this was my 40 or 41st time going to Hershey and I usually take about a month to recover before I start looking forward to the next year. I do miss the mud a little. Did stop and chat with the last vendor on grass and he said he still does well off on the side and hopes they let him continue to be on the grass.

Next year consider Friday for a single day. I was there until 5pm with a lot of vendors packing it in. It's all too common especially if there is a car show on the "last" day.

Next time I would do Thursday, Friday and half a day Saturday (for the car show) .

My recent spectating practice has been:

THURSDAY at least half a day

FRIDAY all day at swap meet and car corral

SATURDAY car show and out by noon

Weather permitting this seems my best possible way to hit pretty much everything as long as I keep moving. Leaving by noon Saturday allows me to drive back to central IL and arrive home by midnight.

Friday last year was a problem for me since even the vague threat of rain had lots of vendors leaving and by 4PM the Red Field (where I ended up) was almost empty, much to my annoyance. Those just there for the swap meet and not staying for the Saturday show are coming earlier and leaving earlier, but I cannot come to Hershey and miss the show.

I agree with everybody that even if I do not find much for the Pontiac, which is the case at most swap meets anyway, I enjoy the sights at Hershey more than any other meet. At least I will see SOMETHING other than 1960s-70s Chevy parts and cheap tools. I will gasp at the prices on signs and petroliana but enjoy seeing them anyway, only a little disappointed that I cannot afford them. I will see Classic and brass cars for sale for probably the only time of the year. I will eat a crabcake sandwich then walk the aisles and breathe the chocolate in the air.

I will fondly remember Hershey years past. My first year there in 1987. The year I watched a 1905 Buick putt-putting through a muddy White Field. The year I watched parts float in a muddy aisle of the Chocolate Field. 1992 when I detoured my wife to Hershey during our honeymoon. 2004 with my dad there when we went to the new AACA museum for the first time and watched the parade of cars to the show field together for the last time. The yearly tradition and spectacle is like a holiday for me. Glad you were able to make it and hope you can get there again. Todd C

I was unable to make Hershey this year due to my knees which have deteriorated due to having Lyme Disease this summer. Nonetheless, I was still able to participate in what has become a yearly tradition for me and many others. That is the annual rondevous to exchange previously traded parts. Since we have people coming from all over, it is fairly easy to find someone who is going to Hershey who would be willing to make an exchange in parts and funds for you. Of course, you must also be willing to do it for others at another time. Previous years have featured the exchange of Crosley transmissions, Drum Brakes, and other assorted parts. This year featured a pair of Murray style pre war seat frames that I made a deal for at our National show in Ohio in July that were dropped at Jim Bollman's Crosley stand, and picked up by Chuck Koehler and Barry Seel who did make the trip, brought to my house where they picked up a CD style hood that I picked up on another trip. Hershey has benefits even for those that are not able to attend!!

"Todd, you took your wife to Hershey on your honeymoon??!!

You are my new hero, sir."

Yes, thank you Steve, that move is high on the list of things to prove I am a dedicated old car guy.

Full disclosure, it was not for our entire honeymoon, just for two days at the end of the week. AND as a gesture of restraint and short timeframe I did not make her cover the whole swap meet nor endure rain or (excess) mud. Yes, it was a gamble at that early stage, but she was a good sport and has been back without complaint, a keeper if there ever was. Todd C

Dear Bryan,

I'm glad you made it to the Hershey Swap Meet and got back safe and sound. At least you got to spend a day there! I live so far away I might never get to go unless I move a little closer. Maybe they have an opening at the AACA Museum...that way I could avoid the 40 hours of driving.

I think it'd take me 5 years to find out where all the vendors are....if the stories are really true that there are 8,000 of them. Of course, the wandering around and socializing is probably what's fun about attending -- more than actually buying anything. That's great that you even saw parts for Brass Era cars. I live too far out in the Boonies to see that kind of stuff. They haven't made Brass cars for 95 years, so I'd expect the headlights and such to be a little high. You know, high demand, low supply! I looked at the classified ads on the HCCA site and saw sets of headlights for $450, $864, $1,500, $1,800, and $3,750*. A 1922 Chevrolet Baby Grand Touring was for sale for just a few dollars more than the last pair of lights!! I wasn't there to see what you saw, of course. Were they asking similar prices at the Swap Meet?

I heard there were two Peerlesses at Hershey: a green 1913 with a T-head 578 cu. in. Six and a blue 1917 with a Peerless 332 cu. in. V-8, I think.

---Jeff

* had a few dents and a broken reflector

Edited by jeff_a
Had to correct a price and a model on the Chevrolet. (see edit history)

Some prices are high, but if you don't like what a vendor is offering, you have the option of walking away. If you look long enough, you'll likely find what you want at a lesser price somewhere else on the fields. The same can be said for the car corral. There is a Hershey premium but there are some reasonable prices.

I figured this would be a one time deal even before we left because of the distance. I would have loved to have tracked down as many members of this forum as possible to chat with them in person. However, since this was a one time deal, and we only had so much time to see everything, I decided to focus on seeing everything rather than tracking everyone down and missing half the show or more.

A further unexpected incident was that the guy that we were supposed to be staying with did not answer his phone all day Tuesday. He sent us emails saying he was expecting us Tues and was all excited about us showing up. We got stuck sharing the hotel room with a different guy we rode up with instead. He is an absolute tightwad, and is charging us for everything from hotel to gas to tolls for his double axle trailer he used to haul all his crap for his booth. We had to load and unload his trailer and help set up his booth in exchange for free hotel, which he then later charged us for. He is even charging us for the port-a-potty he rented for his booth for his convenience. Ten dollars per pee, seems a bit excessive. He offered to buy us a drink for our help. It wound up on our bill. We found out the reason why the guy we were supposed to be staying with never answered the phone a few days later. He died Monday night. I have to say I feel rather guilty about all the nasty comments I made about him on Tues.

Sorry I can't agree with the you can't pay too much if you enjoy it logic. I can see paying a little more for a hard to find car because that is the one you want. Or being a little upside down on a car because it is the one that you want. But $23,000 for an '83 Toronado worth $5000, or $52,000 for a 1961 Imperial worth $15,000. Sorry, no amount of enjoyment is going to make it worth that much. You can buy 3 of them or more and have 3 times the enjoyment for that price.

As far as swap meet prices on parts, I'm sure there are always deals to be found. But the stuff I looked at didn't seem to be any great deals. It was all a little higher than what you can buy it for on Ebay. You have to pay for shipping, but that is a lot less than 28 hours of traveling, gas, and multiple nights at a hotel.

And yes, I think I can say I saw everthing. I have been antique shopping for over 20 years and do not need to examine every item on every shelf in order to see everything. I have honed my scanning skills for years so that I can immediately pick up on anything of interest to me and disregard the rest. Maybe at the bottom of a box of Model A parts, there was a small Auburn part. But I'd rather see all the booths than spend all my time rooting through all the boxes at a couple booths that don't have anything I'm looking for. Especially since I don't need an Auburn part.

Edited by LINC400 (see edit history)

LINC400,

I will have to disagree with your assessment. Visiting with friends is one of the things that makes Hershey great. If you had stopped by my swap meet space, and mentioned your lodging problems, you would have probably found yourself on a roll out cot for however many nights you needed. It would have certainly not cost you an amount that you would be complaining about now.

Looking through a swap meet booth is not a scientific experience. You cannot see it all with a superficial examination. If you stopped by my booth, you could not see everything with a quick glance. I had some Model A Parts, I had some rather valuable brass era lamps, I had some unusual brass era metal valve stems, I had lots of parts for cars of the 50's and 60's. I had boxes of misc. items for sale for $1 each. Many of those items were worth quite a bit more than that price. If you took 5 minutes at my booth, you might have some sort of idea of what I had available. The folks who think that they can glance at a booth and know what is there are the same folks who complain that they can't find what they are looking for at Hershey.

I am sure that you can find some overpriced stuff at Hershey. You will also find a lot of real deals there.

I have a local chapter member who recently bought a 1946 Ford. One of the guys sharing swap meet spaces with me happened to be selling some 1946 Ford Parts. My local chapter member is now the proud owner of a lot of 1946 Ford Parts and can't believe what a deal he got on them. I know it does not apply to everybody at Hershey, but there really are a lot of folks who have parts that they just want to get something out of and they really want them to go to someone who can use them.

Guest Silverghost

From 50+ years of Hershey Flea Market hunts I believe that some vendors put some very rare items & parts out on their tables just to get conversations going !

Just for fun !

Case in point was a complete rare old set of ARDUN Ford V8 OHV Peformance heads (Designed & sold by Zora Arkus Duntov of early corvette fame) that I saw there about five years ago.

My buddy wanted these rare performance heads in the worst way ! They were not reproductions !

He had plenty of cash burning a hole in his pocket too !

When asked what price he wanted the vendor threw out a crazy number

My buddy replied SOLD !

The vendor then replied~

"Well... I never intended to REALLY sell them... Just wanted to see if anyone knew what they really were !"

"You are the FIRST !"

They were just there to get attention and convesations going !

Just for FUN !

I know a fellow in the R~R Chocolate field area that does this sort of "experiment" every year !

Just trying to get some sort of reaction from folks to stimulate converation.

It's all in fun...

The item in question usually winds-up in his own collection !

Edited by Silverghost (see edit history)