What's your funniest story, sitting at a show.......

trimacar

....and answering questions or talking to the passers-by?

Mine would have to be the time that I had the '37 Cord in a tour in South Louisiana, this would have been mid-1980's. We parked in a lot to go eat lunch.

A "local yokel" (let's just call him LY for short) came up and asked, "What kind of car is that?"

Me: It's a 1937 Cord.

LY: A Ford? Ford never made a car like that!

Me: No, no, a CORD, made by the Auburn Cord Duesenberg company.

LY: Duesenberg? Oh, it's a German car.....

Me: No, it was made in Indiana, it's front wheel drive.

LY: Oh, front wheel drive, then it's a new kit car, they just came out with that....

I just shook my head.....

post-31482-143138255576_thumb.jpg

Looking at a 1956 Coupe DeVille at a car show, Mr. Knowledgeable was explaining features to two bimbos.

Pointing to the a/c vent on the quarterpanel "That is for cooling the brakes"

Pointing to the bumper dagmars "They had more rural roads back then, so those are for pushing cows out of the way".

For my own car

Did you repaint the interior to match the car?

Yes, velour looks so good when painted

Did you get that bodyside molding at Walmart?

Yes, Mediterrenean style molding in chrome trim molded exactly to fit the car in Aqua Blue Diamondfire Metallic is readily available at all Walmarts.

Since the cat is on medication she has to go with for trips. For the last trip the cat, and not the car got the stupid comments. Went into an antique mall. It was too hot (92) to leave her in the car. So I left her by the front desk in her carrier. Picking her up on the way out...

Is that a live cat in there?

No it's dead. I just carry it with me everywhere.

Did you buy it here?

Yes, I buy all my antique cats here. There is a whole displaycase full of them pawing at the glass.

Edited by LINC400 (see edit history)

Guest billybird

I'll never forget this one as long as I live. I was showing my 1940 FORD-COUPE one time and this guy comes by and says, "My daddy had one just like that, except his was a FOURDOOR and it was a CHEVROLET"! Art Linkletter used to say, "kids say the darndest things" but I've found adults do their share as well!

Q: What kind of car is that?

A: It's a Packard.

Q: Who made Packard?

A: Big sigh. :(

This conversation has occurred 3 times to date and I've only been showing the car (the 1950) at local events for the last year and a half. Makes me feel really, really old! At least no one has asked if I bought it new (yet).

I heard a story about a guy with a 1937 Cadillac V 16 2 passanger coupe on the 154" wheelbase. He was on a tour and stopped at a gas station and a local yocal came up and said, " my dad had one just lke it, except his was a Plymouth!"

While sitting beside the MGBGT at a car show a couple of years ago -

"Wow, I had one of those."

"Really? When how long ago was that?"

"Well, it was a few years ago. Gee, mine was just like that - it was my neighbors old car and he let me have it when he moved. It was just like that, except it was a different color. And the top folded down, and it had different bumpers on it I think, but it was just like that."

"Do you remember what year it was?"

"I think it was from the 50's."

"Oh, it must have been a TD."

"No, it was a MG."

"Really?"

"Say, do you know who made MG?"

(I just couldn't resist temptation at this point)

"It was made by GM, but since they drive on the other side of the road in England, they called it a MG."

"Gee, I always wondered why the GM was backwards."

We then all had a great laugh when I began to tell the history of MG and what it really meant.

Terry

Then there was my dad, God love his heart, that swore that his neighbor had a car "just like" our blue and white 1958 Chevy Biscayne two-door in his garage. Mom and Dad lived about ten minutes from our house.

Every time we were down to visit we drove past the neighbor's house and finally one day the garage doors were open and we could see his antique car.......an orange 1970's Pinto. :eek: :D

Yep, just like ours. :rolleyes:

Just to add one more, I was at a tour in Lafayette La., 1938 Packard parked at hotel. A youngish guy walked by, and he started explaining to his son what a Packard was. "Son, that's a Packard, the only American car ever built in Europe.." I was speechless........

Driving through very rural roads of Maine and stopped for gas. The attendant begins filling up the tank and notices the credit card in the customers hand.

Attendant: "We don't take credit cards"

Customer: "Oh he says" and puts it back in his wallet, "Why dont you take credit cards" asks the customer

Attendant: "We dont have a credit card machine"

Customer: "Couldn't you buy a credit card machine?"

Attendant: "Don't need one, we don't take credit cards"

Guest Good Old Days

Here's a Dutch story to convince you all in Europe things are similar!

Since 1977 I drive my fathers 1928 Studebaker President 8 everywhere I want.

Once I was preparing the car with wax for the coming season, while doing so a local whatever payed me a visit, he said nice looking Ford you got there!:mad:

I say no, sir it's a Studebaker and not a Ford! Saw him at a local event later on, he comes to me saying the Ford looked very clean! After that he asked me, did you drive the car or your father?:mad::mad: I said we both do! He does the gearing and I do the steering! BTW my dad passed away a few years ago. He left saying good bye and all the luck with your father and his Ford!

A few years later he bought a 1930 Ford A Roadster and I couldn't keep myself from congratulating him with his Studebaker, did he drive it himself or did his wife do it??;)

This is only one of the remarks we get down here! Some things are the same all over the world!:D

I own a 1960 Ford Sunliner. It has been called a 1959 Chevy at least 4 times. After politely correcting one gentleman, I heard him say to his lady friend as they walked away " It's a Chevy. 1960 Fords did not look like that"!

Sitting next to my '65, 4-spd., Tri-Power GTO, a fellow that looks like he should know when to remain silent rather than indiscriminately open his pie hole staggers by with his two clean-cut teenage kids. First he tells me he had a GTO like mine, but it was a '62 as he makes eye contact with his kids revealing this tidbit of automotive history within their family.

Then as I was about point out the fact that GTO's were not around yet in 1962 he notices my US Army 1st Cav shirt and hat with Vietnam era Cobra Gun ship graphics - maybe he spotted my Vietnam Veteran license plates too. Making sure his kids are around to listen to his further parental utterances, he asks if I was a combat helicopter pilot, I said yes sir - I was, then he asked me with all seriousness - 'for which side?'.... :confused: :eek:

Edited by Uncle_Buck (see edit history)

Guest Bill K.

At the Lead East car show in Parsippany, New Jersey, many years ago, a good-looking, scantily clad, barefooted duo was walking around, enjoying the cars. The woman, pointing to a beautiful 1942 Packard (non-Clipper) limousine, asked her significant other:

"Oh, honey, when did Chevy build a car that looked like that?"

The owner of the car heard this and immediately replied:

"Ma'am, it's not a Chevy, it's a Packard, and it was built in 1942."

The woman's boyfriend asked:

"Oh, you mean Chevy didn't built it themselves, but let someone else do the work?"

The owner replied:

"No, sir, Chevy had NOTHING to do with this car's manufacture. Packard was an independent company."

The woman, apparently satisfied, said, as she was walking away:

"How nice of Chevy to let another company build such a nice car independently of them."

:confused::confused::confused:

This really did happen, folks. :eek:

West and I have a mutual friend, Bill Davis. He is one great guy and loves a good verbal prank.

Several years ago at Hershey he was sitting in the back seat of one of his many lovely Rolls Royces having his lunch. A couple walked up and asked him if it was his car. "No", he said, "is it yours?"

"Oh no, it isn't", the man replied. To which Bill replied, "Well, it just looked like such a nice place to have lunch. I figured I would be gone by the time the owners got back." :rolleyes::D

A few years later he had his pea green Rolls sitting next to a friend's red Rolls, both are the same model and year. A lady and her husband were admiring them and commented that they reminded her of Christmas. Bill proceeded to tell them that they were the special His And Hers gifts offered that year by a very well known catalogue company.

The lady said, "Well that wasn't in the catalogue I got." Bill told her, "They just found the red one so they will send out a special flyer about them." :D

"Those really aren't old cars. These guys bought out the factory dies from Detroit and they just remake the old cars." -- overheard at a car show in Houston in the 1960s, as a group of people were looking at a '29 Packard.

"Funny, that Duesenberg didn't have those outside exhaust pipes on it when I owned it a few years ago." -- overheard at Hershey in the 1990s, as people were looking at a Duesie that supposedly got its non-original external exhaust pipes when it "was returned to the factory at an early date."

"This car is completely original, never restored or repainted." overheard at Hershey as I was looking at a clearly restored '40 Cadillac V-16 convertible coupe that had no rock chips or dirt anywhere underneath on its pristine chassis or fenders, despite supposely having 60,000 miles on it.

Guest Bill K.

This didn't happen at a show, but I had to include it.

I was at a small car museum (which shall remain unnamed ;) ), and was given the brief tour. Since I research the 1940s, particularly the wartime era, I asked the guide if he had any data on this subject.

He said, "All car production ceased because all of the companies were forced to build airplanes. After the war, no company could produce any cars at all save for Tucker. All the other companies bought back their old cars from their owners, loaded them with tons of chrome, and sold them as new cars. You wouldn't believe how much chrome they put on those old cars to make them look new."

Needless to say, I was very disappointed that the guide at an automobile museum would spew such drivel. It's one thing to hear nonsense at shows, especially from clueless spectators. But this is entirely different.

We showed a '21 Kissel Gold Bug at Hershey and a passerby told his son "That car is fiberglas". I pointed out to him that no, it was all steel just as the factory made it. He argued with me and finally walked away muttering to son "No American factory ever built a car like that". Customer shows a '21 Rolls Silver Ghost. He has lost track of the number of times guys have told their kids "Those engines were sealed from the factory, you can't work on 'em".

Our local Antique Car Club hosts a very special show each year on Easter Sunday.

It’s held in the county historical park where 1959 and older cars are spread through

the woods among the 24 historical buildings. Participants come in period clothing to match the vintage of their vehicles and picnic on the ground or running boards. With most of the women in Easter Bonnets, it’s a photographer’s dream show.

Along with our vehicle and picnic gear, we took our dummy in period clothing. She sits with the car the entire picnic, complete with her AACA name badge (Original Owner), getting photographed regularly.

During the show the local Public Access TV crew came by to tape their story on the event. The hostess and host, both in their 80’s, told me they were going to film a segment in my picnic area. (A little pushy) Another fellow and I stood back to watch, as they started filming. What they didn’t know was that I had left my nephew’s remote controlled Fart Machine under the Original Owners dress.

When they said “Action”, I leaned over to my buddy and said "watch this." Then as the hostess reached a point in her dialogue to take a breath, I pushed the button!

Blbzzbbbzzzz!!!

The hostess jumped about a foot and screamed “What’s the Matter with her?”

I calmly replied, “She has the vapors”

They had to reshoot the segment, but we had the best laugh.

Guest Steve_Heald

I may have told these stories on the forum before, if so, my apologies.

A few years ago we took our 1910 Breeze highwheeler to our annual region show. It's an unrestored but presentable motorbuggy. While walking around the car, Mr. Observant comments to his female companion, "... oh, and it's chain drive". She's quite interested in that fact and looks at the driver's controls with a puzzled expression and says, "really, how do you peddle it?"

Another one I've heard a few times about our Repeat Sr. Grand National 1912 Maxwell: "Where did you ever find such an old car in this condition?"

And my favorite: We're in period costume, showing the Maxwell at a local town's community festival when this father and son come up to the car. The boy looks at the car, and at us and then whispers to his father, "Is that how poor people look?" I couldn't resist answering, "Yes".

Our local Antique Car Club hosts a very special show each year on Easter Sunday.

It’s held in the county historical park where 1959 and older cars are spread through

the woods among the 24 historical buildings. Participants come in period clothing to match the vintage of their vehicles and picnic on the ground or running boards. With most of the women in Easter Bonnets, it’s a photographer’s dream show.

Along with our vehicle and picnic gear, we took our dummy in period clothing. She sits with the car the entire picnic, complete with her AACA name badge (Original Owner), getting photographed regularly.

During the show the local Public Access TV crew came by to tape their story on the event. The hostess and host, both in their 80’s, told me they were going to film a segment in my picnic area. (A little pushy) Another fellow and I stood back to watch, as they started filming. What they didn’t know was that I had left my nephew’s remote controlled Fart Machine under the Original Owners dress.

When they said “Action”, I leaned over to my buddy and said "watch this." Then as the hostess reached a point in her dialogue to take a breath, I pushed the button!

Blbzzbbbzzzz!!!

The hostess jumped about a foot and screamed “What’s the Matter with her?”

I calmly replied, “She has the vapors”

They had to reshoot the segment, but we had the best laugh.

What a hoot!!

You made me LOL & now the dog is staring at me!!!:D

Dale

In the reverse, comments from a rider in the car...........

I have a friend, Charlie, who lived in New Orleans in the 80's and 90's. He was heavy into early Thunderbirds, and in fact the first little "Bird I bought was from him, a nice unrestored 1955.

He was riding with me one day in my then-tour car, a 1924 Dodge touring. We were going through a small town, and a bunch of kids were on the sidewalk, laughing at us as we rode by. He leaned out over the door and said "hey, you might be poor one day, too and have to drive an old car!" Wide-eyed, they quit laughing, although I laughed....until I thought about what he'd said.......

In the reverse, comments from a rider in the car...........

I have a friend, Charlie, who lived in New Orleans in the 80's and 90's. He was heavy into early Thunderbirds, and in fact the first little "Bird I bought was from him, a nice unrestored 1955.

He was riding with me one day in my then-tour car, a 1924 Dodge touring. We were going through a small town, and a bunch of kids were on the sidewalk, laughing at us as we rode by. He leaned out over the door and said "hey, you might be poor one day, too and have to drive an old car!" Wide-eyed, they quit laughing, although I laughed....until I thought about what he'd said.......

I do tell people from time to time that "maybe someday I'll work for a company that will pay me enough to buy a new car."

I asked Bill if he'd come over for dinner when he was in town. He answered, "No, but I'd love to come to dinner.":o

Living with a member of the Grammar Police, I should have known better.

**snicker** I can just hear him saying that. He is so funny.

If you would like to have him come over to your house, offer him dessert. His nieces and nephews learned very early in their lives that if they sat near him they would get dessert for sure.

Now back to our funny car show stories. :)

Guest Skyking

I am asked many, many times if my car is the one that goes in the water. I answer, only in the rain. Then I get, well it looks just like the car that goes in the water..................Do the first two photos resemble the third?

I didn't think so.................

post-30819-14313825668_thumb.jpg

post-30819-143138256681_thumb.jpeg

post-30819-143138256682_thumb.jpg

Guest Skyking

Another time when I had my 55 Buick, I was getting ready to leave a show and a bunch of people were standing by my car. I turned on the key, put both hands out the window and yelled "CAR START". you wouldn't believe the looks on their faces when it started. One guy said to another, "wow, that's high-tech"....................:D:D:D

....and the funny thing (or fun thing) is that it's still described in medical texts, and it's still called a "chaffeurs" or "backfire" fracture (although early on it was called a Ford fracture, due to the number of Fords and resultant number of injuries from said Fords).

http://www.gentili.net/fracture.asp?ID=4

It's such a novelty (cranking is) to people, particularly youngsters who don't even realize that we used to have to crank car windows up and down.

Another funny thing is, people wil come up to you at a show, and love pointing out a defect. "Hey, did you know you had a scratch down here on the back of this fender." Well, of course you knew, who (whom? I just found out "grammar police" is not about my father's mother) of us true hobbyists don't know every wart and freckle on each car we own. But you reply, oh, thanks, that helps......

I broke my arm pretty badly cranking a '28 Autocar about 15 years ago (freak accident, I know how to crank an engine). Doc in ER had no idea what I was talking about when I told him how it happened. Finally told him to go look up "Chauffeur's Fracture" which he did.

I broke my arm pretty badly cranking a '28 Autocar about 15 years ago (freak accident, I know how to crank an engine). Doc in ER had no idea what I was talking about when I told him how it happened. Finally told him to go look up "Chauffeur's Fracture" which he did.

My dad was born December 14th, 1916 so he grew up with Model T Fords. One even carried him into town after he was accidentally shot in the heel while hunting with friends, he was fifteen when it happened. Luckily for him a man drove by as his two friends were hauling him out of the woods. They had been rabbit hunting. No safetys on guns back then.

I still remember him telling me when I was very young how dangerous it could be to crank start a T. That the person doing the cranking had to know how to hold onto the crank properly or it would get away from them and break their arm.

I have some photos I took at Callaway Gardens in 1975. I remember the owner of this Duesenberg found some odd part in the flea market and stuck it in the tailpipe of the Duesy. He then had a ball standing nearby and listening to all the gawkers explaining to their friends what the device was for.

Don

post-36901-143138257109_thumb.jpg