Post some pics of your Rivieras!!!!!!!!!!

bb1970

5 hours ago, XframeFX said:

Bob, very nice trunk! What size spare did you use? A 215-75R-15?

Of all 1st Gen. trunk images on this forum, every one turned out better than mine. Not happy with the outcome. I knew the wheel well would be a challenge. A trade secret how to do curves. Not my trade!

🆖?

image.png.b6f9a2ade3a7e639624b42633ca2cba1.png

The tire I have on the shelf is ??? 75 R 15. The dimension of the width of my spare is less than the four that meet the road. I have not figured out how to secure the tire so it doesn’t droop back in to the trunk. Thank you for your compliment(s). I appreciate your consideration.

Turbinator

Forgive me for not making appropriate remarks about your trunk. I think the trunk looks fine to me. Could it be your trunk kit was absolutely correct for your car production time?

I have an interesting story about accessories regarding a compass with two conflicting stories in two Buick pubs. Life is good when the only thing bothering us is a trunk kit and a compass. 
Regards,

Turbinator

6 hours ago, XframeFX said:

Bob, very nice trunk! What size spare did you use? A 215-75R-15?

Of all 1st Gen. trunk images on this forum, every one turned out better than mine. Not happy with the outcome. I knew the wheel well would be a challenge. A trade secret how to do curves. Not my trade!

🆖?

image.png.b6f9a2ade3a7e639624b42633ca2cba1.png

I am not Bob but, I used a 195-75R15. Much easier to wrestle on and off  the shelf, especially as my body ages. Yes, a size difference but, I figured it would not be on there for long.

Bill

18 hours ago, RivNut said:

The first production 1963s came with the spare tire mounted to the floor.  Jim Cannon may be able to tell you a build date or FB number when the 1963 spare was moved under the package tray.  

I just sent Jim the data plates from 2-63 Rivieras I just purchased. One had a build date of 03E and FB number of 27650. Jim wanted to know where the spare was mounted as he said that was in the time frame where the change was made form the trunk floor to the trunk shelf. This one had it on the shelf. So the change occurred between 02E and 03E. Jim may be able to pinpoint it more exactly.

Bill

17 hours ago, Dundee said:

That’s one beautiful red car Bob can tell you love her!

Mr. Dundee, I really do enjoy the car. The little fixes these days are items I can handle.

I have a cover that mounts on 63 under the hood switch and vacuum hose mounting center. The cover mounts front and back on the panel and makes the engine bay for the 63

clean up.

I neglected to get the flap made on the covers. The flap is ornamental; nevertheless, I have to fiddle with the project to get the part look stock.

997ED517-29D6-4D44-B702-B5C0DCDFAC91.jpeg

On 11/11/2022 at 9:46 PM, Turbinator said:

The tire I have on the shelf is ??? 75 R 15. The dimension of the width of my spare is less than the four that meet the road. I have not figured out how to secure the tire so it doesn’t droop back in to the trunk. Thank you for your compliment(s). I appreciate your consideration.

Turbinator

The spare is held down with a rod hooked at one end, and threaded at the other.  The hooked end is held by a tang welded to the center of the 'shelf' where the tire is stowed. 

The tire is held down by the jack base plate and secured with a big 'wing' nut.   

Getting the spare onto the stowage shelf, fishing the hook onto the tang, then securing the whole jazz with the the jack base plate requires a fair bit of strugglng, esp. if your spare is a 235-75 15 like mine!

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Turbinator said:

65VerdeGS,

You broke the code for me. The Jack base was the piece I was missing. Now I know where to hide the Jack base. You are a genius.

thank you

Turbinator

Do you have the spring/hook device that holds the jack stem in place?  You probably also figured out that there is no real provision for storing the jack handle.  I took a couple of sections of old bicycle tube, slip them over the stem, and slide the jack handle in between them and the stem.

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

4 minutes ago, RivNut said:

Do you have the spring/hook device that holds the jack stem in place?  You probably also figured out that there is no real provision for storing the jack handle.  I took a couple of sections of old bicycle tube, slip them over the stem, and slide the jack handle in between them and the stem.

Ed, I have the spring and do dads that hold the Jack stalk. The idea for the Jack handle is a good one for sure. My wife is good with fabric and sewing machine. I had extra material left over so she made a pouch with snap closure to the the Jack kit.

The judges at AACA Hershey let me read between the lines of the score sheet. I read it as you have nice driver, but you need to “tie up loose ends.” Loose ends are many but not something I cannot do myself. Some I’ll change to conform. I’m not putting bias tires on my car. I’m not changing my compass as I have documentation showing my compass in the 1963 Buick Spec book. Presence of evidence does not mean it is the truth. I can prove the evidence I have as legitimate. Because an item is discontinued and replaced with a new model does not mean the item never existed. My company manufactured all kinds of paper handling machines to increase office worker productivity. We were flooded with TSB’s and memo’s indicating what was discontinued, modified, etc every day.

5CF7F4C3-1422-4D79-B695-2CF6A076C7A5.jpeg

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Turbinator said:

My wife is good with fabric and sewing machine. I had extra material left over so she made a pouch with snap closure to the the Jack kit

That looks pretty cool, nice idea. Although I had all my original cardboard, I used them as templates for new cardboard and covered with an upholstery fabric. I always felt the finishing of the trunk in these cars was a little cheesy for a ‘luxury car’, so I went with a “what I think they should’ve done look”.

I haven’t found a hold down bolt for the spare yet, but I always carried an emergency box that I used to support it. When I re-did the trunk a few years ago, I thought the picnic basket was a nice touch. Likely not winning any judging events, but something a little different without going too custom…

8C2EE091-A96E-455F-9313-5C31E2ECCA0E.jpeg

FFA312D0-2EFF-4F4F-8D82-9F37002E2749.jpeg

• Like 5

On 11/19/2022 at 11:22 AM, MikeJS said:

That looks pretty cool, nice idea. Although I had all my original cardboard, I used them as templates for new cardboard and covered with an upholstery fabric. I always felt the finishing of the trunk in these cars was a little cheesy for a ‘luxury car’, so I went with a “what I think they should’ve done look”.

I haven’t found a hold down bolt for the spare yet, but I always carried an emergency box that I used to support it. When I re-did the trunk a few years ago, I thought the picnic basket was a nice touch. Likely not winning any judging events, but something a little different without going too custom…

8C2EE091-A96E-455F-9313-5C31E2ECCA0E.jpeg

FFA312D0-2EFF-4F4F-8D82-9F37002E2749.jpeg

Well done. My gray cardboard was covered in gray vinyl.

turned out so it could be cleaned.

Did you affix the carpet ( I assume it is carpet) to the cardboard cut outs that line the trunk? Great looking is just that, great looking.

Bob

Edited by Turbinator (see edit history)

On other similar GM cars without separate provision for jack handle stowage I have stuck the jack handle under the edge of the spare tire so that it is pinched between the tire and the trunk floor when the wingnut holding the tire is tightened.

On 11/19/2022 at 10:48 AM, Turbinator said:

Ed, I have the spring and do dads that hold the Jack stalk. The idea for the Jack handle is a good one for sure. My wife is good with fabric and sewing machine. I had extra material left over so she made a pouch with snap closure to the the Jack kit.

The judges at AACA Hershey let me read between the lines of the score sheet. I read it as you have nice driver, but you need to “tie up loose ends.” Loose ends are many but not something I cannot do myself. Some I’ll change to conform. I’m not putting bias tires on my car. I’m not changing my compass as I have documentation showing my compass in the 1963 Buick Spec book. Presence of evidence does not mean it is the truth. I can prove the evidence I have as legitimate. Because an item is discontinued and replaced with a new model does not mean the item never existed. My company manufactured all kinds of paper handling machines to increase office worker productivity. We were flooded with TSB’s and memo’s indicating what was discontinued, modified, etc every day.

5CF7F4C3-1422-4D79-B695-2CF6A076C7A5.jpeg

Bob,

Here are the pictures that I said that I’d take.  There are two V shaped pieces of stamped sheet metal in the trunk for holding the the jack, less the base.  (Base is used to hold spare in place.) One is at the top of the wheel well, the other is on the trunk floor; both are on the passenger’s side.  

3720E352-8E40-4D41-990B-4EEC866D2DC6.jpeg.db1e9887586aeb256ff8a633ea1054c1.jpeg10D14C07-C1E7-4DD9-8D65-8E3D8B4254BF.jpeg.f3a10d34b2ec08ac7e2dd4adc50fca11.jpegYou can see how the profile of the jack stem fits into these notches.  Apparently my hook for the hold down spring has disappeared.  You hook the spring into the hook and a wire then hook the wire into the lacking mechanism.  Everything is pulled down tight so nothing rattles.

Here’s a picture of the trunk and jack of @Riviera63 1963. It’s from a different thread in this forum.  He has the correct wire handle and spring holding the jack in place and is using some thick rubber (perhaps sections of bicycle tubes like I mentioned earlier) to secure the jack handle to the jack.  Nice, quiet, and out of the way.  It’s easy to see now why the trunk cardboard is notched.  This woul be correct jack storage for early floor mounted spare tires as well.3EA17CE0-A883-41D2-9472-59169D22474A.jpeg.430cf16b29597aa722145e978d3a9776.jpeg

16 minutes ago, RivNut said:

Here’s a picture of the trunk and jack of @Riviera63 1963. It’s from a different thread in this forum.  He has the correct wire handle and spring holding the jack in place and is using some thick rubber (perhaps sections of bicycle tubes like I mentioned earlier) to secure the jack handle to the jack.  Nice, quiet, and out of the way.  It’s easy to see now why the trunk cardboard is notched.  This woul be correct jack storage for early floor mounted spare tires as well.3EA17CE0-A883-41D2-9472-59169D22474A.jpeg.430cf16b29597aa722145e978d3a9776.jpeg

I originally did the bicycle tube for the jack handle. I later on decided to use velcro straps instead. I found that it makes it much easier to remove and replace the jack handle. 

Bill

• Like 1

On 11/20/2022 at 6:09 PM, RivNut said:

Makes sense. Good thinking.

Mine solution is not stock, but I like it.

I have a snap close pouch made from left over material. The pouch was a solution until I found a home for the Jack base. Now I can use the pouch to store something else. I appreciate the pictures showing how to hook the Jack. Using the Jack base on the spare tire would make the appearance better.

798845D2-569E-49F9-89CB-51C018F3D635.jpeg

• Like 1

Yes it looks neater but if you were to use the trunk as intended, you would be constantly moving it around to make room for suit cases, Christmas presents, golf clubs, or groceries.  I'm curious. Is the small hook still present on the floor of your trunk and do you have the spring with attached handle?  If you search this site, back to August 2012,  you'll find a thread that shows where I bent some heavy wire to make a handle and used a spring from Ace Hardware. It's an exact replica.  🙂 

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

On 11/22/2022 at 10:15 AM, RivNut said:

Yes it looks neater but if you were to use the trunk as intended, you would be constantly moving it around to make room for suit cases, Christmas presents, golf clubs, or groceries.  I'm curious. Is the small hook still present on the floor of your trunk and do you have the spring with attached handle?  If you search this site, back to August 2012,  you'll find a thread that shows where I bent some heavy wire to make a handle and used a spring from Ace Hardware. It's an exact replica.  🙂 

I do have the spring, hook, handle, etc. The idea you presented can work.

Turbinator

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/19/2022 at 10:22 AM, MikeJS said:

I used them as templates for new cardboard and covered with an upholstery fabric.

I am  not concerned to restore to original. Mike's trunk looks great. He is close by in my city. Maybe he can do my trunk!

Not Mine:

image.png.41faa7866eb5f5eb655f0d49c760e580.png

Edited by XframeFX (see edit history)

14 hours ago, RivNut said:

Congratulations.  Did we see this car at the ROA event in Eureka Springs in 2005? For some reason, I seem to remember.  Nice addition to your herd.

I wasn't there. I suppose it's possible. Once it arrives I'll post a few more pix as there are some issues with it and I'll be seeking advice on what/if I should repair. One thing is the lettering on the windshield. Keep or remove?

Also, if anyone has any info on the history of the car, links, etc. I would be grateful. I have found a couple auction sales, one from this spring and one from about 2009, but I'd like to know more about the origins, previous owners, etc. Maybe GM will be helpful.

7 hours ago, Golden73 said:

Maybe GM will be helpful.

Good day.

For what it's worth, and I suspect may have already been there, but you may want to contact the GM Heritage Archives directly and see what you can find there. No idea if they can provide any info/photos you don't already have and/or information that you are looking for, but like my mom used to say, "you don't ask, you don't get"... you never know.

Source: https://www.gm.com/heritage/archive

----

Today, the collections hold more than 8 million photographic images, 220,000 video masters, 25,000 motion picture films and 1.5 million digital media files. A significant portion of these collections are accessible through the GMHA digital asset management system.

The GM Heritage Archive has trained researchers available to assist with your research, whether the endeavor is of an enthusiast, academic or commercial nature. Requests should be sent via email to gmhc@gm.com. The email should outline your information or visual media need and the intended use. For commercial endeavors, fees may apply.

----

Good luck, keep us posted...

Later,

• Like 1

On 12/6/2022 at 6:39 PM, RivNut said:

Congratulations.  Did we see this car at the ROA event in Eureka Springs in 2005? For some reason, I seem to remember.  Nice addition to your herd.

image.jpeg.b15e6167531f04f473cd8bcf2fa67de6.jpegI'm pretty sure that this is the same car which I photographed in Eureka Springs, AR in 2005.  The Sloan Museum had a number of cars - fact0ry customs, etc. that they would trailer to different ROA events back in the early 2000s.  I think this one was their convertible concept.  There was also a last generation powered by a Northstar V8.  Other cars included the last 85 GNX ever built, the last 70 GSX ever built, and the last '99 Riviera built.  Also part of their cars were the Silver Arrow I, the Twentieth Anniversary XX pace car with the twin turbo 4.3 V6, and the Blackhawk - a custom 39 Buick coupe powered by a '70 455 (same engine as was in the GSX.)  The cars would be out during the day but at night everyone had to be put back on the trailers.  The Silver Arrow 1 did not run under its own power and had to be pushed on and off the trailer daily.  UGH, it seemed much heavier than a production '63.  

If someone would ask very nicely, I would post what pictures I have of the cars that I mentioned above.

Ed

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, RivNut said:

image.jpeg.b15e6167531f04f473cd8bcf2fa67de6.jpegI'm pretty sure that this is the same car which I photographed in Eureka Springs, AR in 2005.  The Sloan Museum had a number of cars - fact0ry customs, etc. that they would trailer to different ROA events back in the early 2000s.  I think this one was their convertible concept.  There was also a last generation powered by a Northstar V8.  Other cars included the last 85 GNX ever built, the last 70 GSX ever built, and the last '99 Riviera built.  Also part of their cars were the Silver Arrow I, the Twentieth Anniversary XX pace car with the twin turbo 4.3 V6, and the Blackhawk - a custom 39 Buick coupe powered by a '70 455 (same engine as was in the GSX.)  The cars would be out during the day but at night everyone had to be put back on the trailers.  The Silver Arrow 1 did not run under its own power and had to be pushed on and off the trailer daily.  UGH, it seemed much heavier than a production '63.  

If someone would ask very nicely, I would post what pictures I have of the cars that I mentioned above.

Ed

The color scheme is the same, wheels are the same. I planned on starting to do the research in earnest after the holidays but the other projects I had have been moving ahead of schedule so here I am.

3 hours ago, Golden73 said:

The color scheme is the same, wheels are the same. I planned on starting to do the research in earnest after the holidays but the other projects I had have been moving ahead of schedule so here I am.

If that’s the case,mthe Alfred Sloan museum should have answers to all your questions.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, EmTee said:

Yes, please do!  I suggest a separate thread here in the Riviera forum, and/or here: https://forums.aaca.org/topic/333550-buick-concepts/page/3/#comment-2429559

I’ll post the pictures that I have, bit I think that I’ll post them here.  The cars are not really “concepts.”  They’re regular Rivieras that have been tweaked by the designers and engineers at Buick.  

• Thanks 1