Post some pics of your Rivieras!!!!!!!!!!

bb1970

While participating at the AACA Southeast Regional car show at the Charlotte Motor Speedway recently, there was a 1968 Chevrolet Malibu with the same PNT code "K2" (Tripoli Turquoise/Aqua Mist w/ black vinyl top) as our Riviera in the show.

Of course, I had to get some pictures of the cars together!

The cars looked great!

BTW, the AZ took home it's first AACA DPC (Driver's Participation Class) award! Very proud of that!

DSC_0721.jpg.1a6100aead8e33444b81fafb8e66b54a.jpg

20230415_223052.jpg.46c8bfefdaea2b194bf212f1d309d6f1.jpg

Edited by NC1968Riviera (see edit history)
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, ericisback said:

In the middle of an engine detail for my 1965 Riviera GS. Car is in the background of the 1st photo….

IMG_20230517_082702_01.jpeg

imagejpeg_1-1.jpeg

imagejpeg_0-3.jpeg

imagejpeg_0-1.jpeg

imagejpeg_0-2.jpeg

imagejpeg_1.jpeg

imagejpeg_0.jpeg

imagejpeg_2.jpeg

Brake Master Cylinder .jpeg

imagejpeg_4.jpeg

imagejpeg_3.jpeg

imagejpeg_2.jpeg

imagejpeg_1.jpeg

imagejpeg_0.jpeg

Nice. But you should consider running exhaust manifolds without gaskets. After some heating and cooling cycles the gaskets will shrink then they’ll leak.  Originally the factory did not use gaskets. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RivNut said:

Nice. But you should consider running exhaust manifolds without gaskets. After some heating and cooling cycles the gaskets will shrink then they’ll leak.  Originally the factory did not use gaskets. 

Thanks for the information. I will talk to the person working on the engine and let him know your thoughts.

19 hours ago, RivNut said:

Thanks for the heads up. We are removing the gaskets. 

On 5/22/2023 at 7:33 AM, ericisback said:

In the middle of an engine detail for my 1965 Riviera GS. Car is in the background of the 1st photo….

Engine back in the car. 

imagejpeg_0-5.jpeg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rivdrivn said:

IMG_3129.jpeg

Steve’s 65 Gran Sport won first place in the Gran Sport class at the annual ROA International Meet in 2018.  His car sports the really rare 1965 Gran Sport wheel covers. They were standard on the 1965 Gran Sport but most Gran Sports were ordered with the optional Buick rally wheels. This car is what is referred to as a Baby Gran Sport. Made in the fall of 1964, it has different front fender emblems and a smaller Gran Sport emblem on the rear.

18 hours ago, ericisback said:

Nice. Can you give us some details about the car?

Thanks Ed. It’s also highly optioned and subtlety modified (hot rod motor, shift kit, MSD, new style headlight motor, powder coated and chromed bits, etc.). Saved it from hurricane Sandy. Never rusty, never wrecked. 5 year restoration. Very strong runner.

IMG_3707.jpeg

IMG_0166.jpeg

IMG_3239.jpeg

• Like 4

I copied this picture from Steve’s photos above to show the OE factory battery and battery cable placement for a 1st generation Riviera.  The battery has the caps toward the rear and the positive post nearest the radiator.  A service bulletin suggests that the battery cable be run between the battery and the hood down post.  

This moves the positive post away from the inner structure of the hood. Any slight movement and the positive post will ground against the hood’s inner structure instantly shorting out your entire electrical system. I only bring this up because it happened to me and my 63. Takes a lot to replace entire harnesses.

IMG_1227.jpeg.f14841138b610d33fe5c1293212ad243.jpeg

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, RivNut said:

I copied this picture from Steve’s photos above to show the OE factory battery and battery cable placement for a 1st generation Riviera.  The battery has the caps toward the rear and the positive post nearest the radiator.  A service bulletin suggests that the battery cable be run between the battery and the hood down post….

IMG_1227.jpeg.f14841138b610d33fe5c1293212ad243.jpeg

What was the original battery, and what is the one one in the photo?  Thanks!

• Oh yeah, the Group 27F, although not a true spec battery, is the same size but unlike the 27 it has the posts on the back of the battery.  Unless you’re a real stickler, it works fine and you don’t have to lay the positive cable between the caps. 
  • Like 1

Here’s a picture of the service bulletin that shows and explains which Rivieras came from the factory with the cable sandwiched between the hold down bolt and the battery. 

IMG_1230.jpeg.9ebb140631ce6c7009dfac1013f61f11.jpeg

and this illustration that shows routing, cable clamps, clips, colors, and the ground wire from the negative cable to the mounting screw on the regulator. In view A you’ll also see the “flag” style connector on the 00 guage wire where it connects to the starter motor from the horn relay.

IMG_1229.jpeg.63ab4b46c73546cb0d68bf2de7047f0a.jpeg

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, RivNut said:This car is what is referred to as a Baby Gran Sport. Made in the fall of 1964, it has different front fender emblems and a smaller Gran Sport emblem on the rear.

My car is a Baby Gran Sport as well, with a Production Date of December 2, 1964 (about 69 days into production)

IMG_4064.jpeg.58d1ff8040400d4ccb5dd9c21d9ef2c4.jpeg

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Deanoko said:

What is a "Baby" Grand Sport? 

Just an early production year GS car (through Mid-December of 1964). These early production cars have a smaller Gran Sport emblem than the ones produced after the emblem change. So they call them “Baby Gran”. ABOUT 350 were produced. 

IMG_2456.jpeg

Edited by ericisback (see edit history)

The pictures of the black car (different pictures of Steve’s car) show the early (baby) Gran Sport emblems size and placement.  The Beige car show the size and placement of what most people know as a Buick Gran Sport.

The Baby

IMG_1233.jpeg.e1c4096a1bb65fc9e16e3b2305deaaac.jpegIMG_1232.jpeg.aa1cb15665624048cd5c28f3aaf93d05.jpeg

All other production Gran Sports

IMG_1235.jpeg.52e015b7930a4e786b1aa985169d4f1e.jpegIMG_1234.jpeg.6696e980fa6a4bed76396efe09ae4079.jpegAs noted previously, Steve’s black car is equipped with the stock, 1965 only, Gran Sport only, wheel covers.  They’re a combination of the 1965 Riviera wheel covers and the 1964 cast aluminum knock off.

• Like 3

On 4/12/2023 at 10:08 AM, RivNut said:

Not a thing. For looks only. Might even distort the sound.

I plan on having those organ pipes in my 63 Riviera I have a Venetian Blind for the rear glass. The organ pipes complete the look I want I'm still waiting on new rear drums. Working daily to repair wiring bugs and unplugged, half connected, sloppy work problems created by previous idiots. Clean detail and maintenance all of it.

20230524_204057.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...