epa sniffing cars at shows for r12 freon, is it true ?

PONTIAC1953

hi everyone, i just had a conversation with an owner of a old car body shop near branson,mo., and we got to talking about air conditioning, he said that at some recent car shows, he saw a guy going around cars with a freon sniffer, checking for presents of r12 freon, sniffer guy said that if he finds cars with r12 freon, he turns the owners into the epa, the owner gets fined $10,000.00, of with half is given to the sniffer guy for his work. the body shop owner went on to say that if the car owner didn't pay the fine, the car would be taken. is this in any way true ? i sure the heck hope not, charles coker, 1953 pontiac tech advisor, poci

I'm only guessing, but, I think if your car came with r12 freon there was no law requiring a change of gas to a modern version. most updates allow for grandfathering older practices such as no seat-belts and one taillight on older cars are still allowed many decades after requiring them on newer models. Heck I still use my arm for a turn signal!

Interesting thought. I also agree with Jfranklin that if your car came with R-12, you did not need to remove the R-12. R-12 was just not sold in the US since the early/middle 90's to anyone without a license. Depending on the vehicle, the R-134A will not work in cars older than about 1995 depending on manufacturer but I know that many GM cars can be retrofited back to about 88 if my memory is good.

As for the guy running around with the sniffer, he would get zero R-12 reading unless the system is leaking which if that is the case, then unless it was just refilled with R-12 just prior to the show, there would probably be noting to detect.

I will ask around some of my contacts after the first of the year.

Cheers to a great Christmas and Holiday season. :-)

Guest tcuda340

If you see someone venting R12 to the atmosphere, you can report them to the EPA or whoever and get a reward. Basically intended for service facilities that did not want to buy the equipment to reclaim the R12 back then. With the price of R12, no ones that stupid anymore to willing vent it to the atmosphere! It's actually now illegal to vent R134a as well. So that guy should go check all the R134a vehicles in the parking lot at the show as well!

Guest Xprefix28truck

I would find that story to totaly false. With a permit you can still purchase it. I also own a "sniffer". It doesn't have a way to tell R12 from 134.

I would find it hard to believe that the EPA has enough extra people to send them to car shows. They can't catch big companies where the fines are in the tens of millions of dollars. They aren't going to waste manpower for $10K.

Guest doberman

Being in the hvac buisiness since way befor all this epa crap started. And buying all

the reclaimers and on my third sniffer of the $300 range. I have yet to find one that

can tell one gas from another. There is no way this guy is for real. Besides that it has been

already mentioned that it is not against the law to use r12 if you can find it or aford

it.And if you think you will get the reward pick up the phone and call the epa tell them you

saw someone blow the 12 out of there car and see how long you will be on hold

befoe your arm gives out and you hang up.

By the way there is something that most people dont know that Dow and allied didnt

tell you when they pushed the epa to ban R12 so they could sell all the tons of R134

they had stock piled for the big squeez and that was there was and still is a direct

drop in for R12 that can be had for less than 10 bucks a can and will mix right in

with the R12.

Cant remember the name off hand but if any interest I will look it up.

there is also one for R22 Called NU22 but we cant by it yet because R22 can be

made untill Jan 1st 2010. And the chem co. sell all the stock pile of R410 they have.

Anyway dont worry about this sniffer guy. He probly looking for some to sniff up his nose

witch a lot of people are doing these days.

have a very merry christmas everyone. ALAN

Sounds like total BS to me too.

Nowhere in the Questions & Answers on Motor Vehicle Air Conditioning from the EPA site is anything remotely similar to this. Feel free to read everything the EPA wants you to know about Motor Vehicle Air Conditioning at the following link:

Questions & Answers on Motor Vehicle Air Conditioning | Ozone Depletion - Regulatory Programs | U.S. EPA

hi everyone, i just had a conversation with an owner of a old car body shop near branson,mo., and we got to talking about air conditioning, he said that at some recent car shows, he saw a guy going around cars with a freon sniffer, checking for presents of r12 freon, sniffer guy said that if he finds cars with r12 freon, he turns the owners into the epa, the owner gets fined $10,000.00, of with half is given to the sniffer guy for his work. the body shop owner went on to say that if the car owner didn't pay the fine, the car would be taken. is this in any way true ? i sure the heck hope not, charles coker, 1953 pontiac tech advisor, poci

I think the guy has been sniffing more than freon................Bob

Guest doberman

For all those out there that are even thinking about retro to 134a dont go through

all that trouble.

Johnsons freeze 12 is a direct drop in that is approved by the epa and can be had as easy as 134a.

nothing to take apart. It will mix with oil already in the system why would any one

want to go to all that trouble retro fiting your system when you dont have to.

I have been using this product for quite a while with no problems.

Just google it and read about it. also if you have been properly lisenced you can

get other freon that will drop in such as r414a and r414b.

Have a merry christmas and a happy cooling season this summer for a lot less.

Larry,,,good post,,,, As i recall just a very few years ago,,,someone told that they had changed the Coconut Grove,,in Boston [club] over to propane or ???,,,The fire killed about 1500 people around 1944,,,The storys all didnt quite make sense,,,,til someone told about the new gas,,,perhaps as late as 10-15 years ago,,,maybee this is off thread,,,but my memory of WBZ reading the names for days,,we could see the red in the sky 20 miles away,,,Maybee best to forget this one,,but it is history,,,,Ben

Larry,,,good post,,,, As i recall just a very few years ago,,,someone told that they had changed the Coconut Grove,,in Boston [club] over to propane or ???,,,The fire killed about 1500 people around 1944,,,The storys all didnt quite make sense,,,,til someone told about the new gas,,,perhaps as late as 10-15 years ago,,,maybee this is off thread,,,but my memory of WBZ reading the names for days,,we could see the red in the sky 20 miles away,,,Maybee best to forget this one,,but it is history,,,,Ben

492 out of 1000!!:(

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=6532185

There is one other thing to consider.

Any tool used to sniff for freon or any other refrigerant would have a metal tip--VERY good way to scratch someone's car. Since most car shows are run by a car club (lots of guys with the same interests) any guy holding a metal object close to a showcar paint job is likely to see his metal object become an anal-inserted gas-sniffing tool.

And when the cops arrive, no one saw a thing.......

Joe

Edited by Reatta Man (see edit history)

A word of caution. Some of the "drop in refrigerant" that is being sold is propane. I would be very careful and read the can before you put anything other than R-12 or R134A in your vehicle.

Although it is flammable, Freeze 12 appears not to contain any propane or butane (which is more common than propane in the cheapo substitute refrigerants). http://www.technicalchemical.com/msds/6000.pdf

There is one other thing to consider.

Any tool used to sniff for freon or any other refrigerant would have a metal tip--VERY good way to scratch someone's car.

That's not necessarily true. A sampling tube (or tip) of pure PTFE (Teflon) would be just as applicable, and although expensive the material is very commonly used when sampling for organics.

This story is absolute hogwash, however. At best this mythic person, sampling in open air outdoors, would only be able to detect a/c systems with MASSIVE leaks that couldn't be functioning for more than a few minutes in the first place.

Second it would take a mass spectrometer, and about an hour's time per car, to determine the difference between hits of R-12, R-22, R-144a, and/or an old leaky can of PAM spray. A field sniffer (as we used to call them when I worked with them) could only declare a hit, not make a determination of a specific compound.

The next hole in this story is the interfering materials that'd throw off a field sniffer. An open bottle of bleach as far away as 100 yds. would make detection impossible for a field unit.

But the best hole in the whole thing is the description of the guy using the sniffer. These things today are roughly the size of a cheap cell phone. You can hide one in the palm of your hand if you want to. If the EPA was evil and onerous enough to want to do this to your car (and if they could do it), you'd never find out about it until you got the letter in the mail.

Some people fear our own government beyond all reason. I guess a lot of people do.:(

Guest simplyconnected

Just a simple question:

Can anyone forecast a stone rupturing a condensor coil?

Even if you noticed freon is escaping (I don't care what kind), what could anyone do about it on a Sunday afternoon, in the middle of a show?

Everything goes back to the earth at sometime. The only way to prevent refrigerant leak is to evacuate before it happens. That means window air conditioners and kitchen refrigerators will have an end date, and must be evacuated before they fail.

I have heard that because automobiles 25 years old or older are heavier, Obama is requiring all such cars to have their tires filled by helium by January 1, 2010. failure to do so is punishable by a $10,000 fine plus the immediate impoundment of the vehicle. Has anyone else heard of this?

funnypost.gif

And helium would do what??? Make it lighter?? Don't think so.

woot.gif

I'd bet a good steak dinner that on some other forum right now somebody's repeating this like it's true!

roflmao.gif

Kinda makes ya wonder what hydrogen-fueled cars might do, huh? H being lighter than He, the car might just lift off and float away...

Hmm- helium-filled tires- helium atoms are mighty small and if there's a microscopic leak, they'll find it, same as an R134a molecule. I can see a whole lotta cars running around with slack tires. Maybe we should inflate our tires with R134a...

Till the helium gets HOT of course, from extra friction of underinflated tires. THEN the helium-filled tires might lift the car off into the stratosphere...

"Look mummy, there's a Cadillac up in the sky!" Brought to you by US Government Approved junk science...

Thanks for a good laugh, Paul et al!

Dave, actually I think that the posts (both pro right and pro left) that were primarily political were deleted (including mine).

Actually, a few more probably could have been deleted, and in my personal opinion, we would all be better off if this entire discussion were deleted. It was a crazy question in the first place, and only invited political discussion, which has now led to humor and political satire in the helium direction....

Dave, actually I think that the posts (both pro right and pro left) that were primarily political were deleted (including mine).

Actually, a few more probably could have been deleted, and in my personal opinion, we would all be better off if this entire discussion were deleted. It was a crazy question in the first place, and only invited political discussion, which has now led to humor and political satire in the helium direction....

Matt,

Humor and satire directed at misinformation is neither pro-right nor pro-left. They're pro-reason, which I agree has been deathly absent from much of this discussion.

Thus far there has really been only one overtly political post on this thread, and it was (eventually and thankfully) deleted.