What's your reaction when someone wants to buy your old car?

Guest asinger

Guest asinger

I honestly hadn't expected this to happen but . . .

I was parked on the street near a yard sale I was visiting, and an older gentlemen asked about my car (1967 Mercury Park Lane convertible). I told him about it, about how I acquired it and the different things I've done with it. He said he's been looking for a 1960s convertible and wanted to buy one, and was possibly interested in mine.

To be honest, I hadn't even considered selling this car for, oh, I don't know, ten years or so. I wanted to finish restoring it now, budget permitting, and drive it for ten more years until I decide to sell it. By then, the car would be over 50 years old, the economy would have (theoretically) improved, and more people might be apt to want a car like this one.

However, I did tell him that I'd be willing to sell right now if someone were interested and offered my asking price. I also explained that there's still work to be done, i.e., bushings in the suspension and the like, as well as cosmetic issues here and there.

He hated the paintjob, which the previous owner did in his garage. I don't like it either, but getting it fixed is low on the priority table. He said he'd rather buy it if the paintjob were either fixed or different. And I don't blame him.

His wife looked it over on Sunday and she seemed to like it. He said he'd be in touch and that maybe we could have a body shop look it over for a paintjob estimate. I said that was fine, as I'd like to have it done someday anyway.

I'm not seriously expecting him to buy it, although if he did, it would be cool. The very fact he was interested was flattering, just kind of unexpected.

My father in law (who's an old car buff and currently owns a 1927 Ford) told me once that his cars are always for sale. If someone wants to buy, he sells, and that many old car owners are like that.

What about you? If you were at a car show or cruise in and someone wanted to buy your old car, would you sell? And should I really sell mine, if the price is right? I mean, if I did sell, I'd just plan to buy a different car.

post-62656-143138099545_thumb.jpg

When someone askes if any of my cars are for sale, I tell him that they don't eat, so their not for sale.

I once had a boat that I paid $600 for it and a man wanted to know how much I wanted for it if it was for sale, I told hom $5000 and the D^$*^ B@#*$#@& bought it. Now I don't hav a boat!

I look at it this way, mine are for sale.

I had a co-worker what wanted to buy my open car trailer, I told him $25,000. He asked if I was nuts. I told him no, if I sold him the trailer, I'd have to go out and buy one and I'd like a 5th wheel enclosed trailer, setup as a camper in the front. Not having the money for it, I'd have to sell my open one for enough to pay for the enclosed one.

another incident was a lady knocked on a farmers door. He answered. She asked "how much for your farm?" He said "it's not for sale". She said "I didn't ask if it was for sale. how much for the farm.?" Farmer decided he'd get rid of her with an outragous figure for that farm. He gave her that figure and she wrote him out a check for it. There is now a nuclear power plant sitting on that farm.

The whole thing is how badly do you want to sell or keep it. And make sure what ever figure you tell them you'll be happy with because you end up acicdently sell it as you part some fool of thier money.

I get asked alot in my home town, where it is still stored, if I want to sell my 1970 Chevrolet pick-up. I used to tell people "No it's not for sale". Now when I get asked I say "Sure it's for sale, $1,000,000". The same ones that always asked, now get the point. They never believed me, or thought I would change my mind, now they know, and it makes me laugh. It is my 1st vehicle I'm glad I still have it. Anything else would be for sale at any time, except if I happened to have the Dodge Brothers sedan that's been in my family for atleast forty years.

Guest Siegfried

My reaction? I am flattered, but I always decline. My antiques are 'Keepers'. Otherwise I won't have bought them to begin with. But then again, I do have one for sale. My '84 Rabbit will be sold to make room for my '85 Jetta.

Anyone interested???;)

Guest Skyking

Three weeks ago I was at a cruise with my 62 Buick and wasn't sitting near it this particular night. When I walked over to my car to put my chair away a young woman came up to me and asked if it were my car. She said she couldn't take her eyes off it all night and wanted to know if it were for sale. I told her that I really didn't want to sell it. She handed me her buisness card and told me if I decided to sell it call her. She was a realtor and looked very professional and didn't even ask a price. When I got home I told my wife what happened and she asked for the card.......ummmmm.:P I've had this car for over 20 years and it feels like it's part of me.

The same week, at another cruise I was asked if it were for sale.

My luck would be not to sell it if I did put a sign on it. For now, I enjoy it.

Bob, I don't consider my '89 Caprice an old car yet, but it's for sale anyway. I moved it today and noticed the 99,994.0 miles on the odometer. I hate to see all of those zeros come up. :)

The problem with selling her, is that, now I'm having a real problem finding a 50-60,000 replacement rear wheel drive GM car. They're really getting scarce.

My suggestion to anyone that has an interested buyer is to always remember where your "next car" was parked, so you can purchase it before it's too late.;)

Wayne

I've been asked quite a few times and my answer is always the same. " Not really but I would for the right price, make an offer." Only one person actually made an offer and it was about book value which wasn't the "right" price.

I've decided most "buyers" turn out to be only tire kickers. The old phrase Money talks, Bull***t walks was probably coined by a car seller........Bob

Well folks it's like this, my wife has been around 37 years, my daughter 32 and my grand kids 6 and 9 yrs. That 57 Ford has only been around 19 years, the wife and grand kids aren't going any where, but the Ford, hmmm, let me think on that........YEP!!! cash please!!!!

Dan

post-31473-143138099901_thumb.jpg

I tell them it is like my brother once told me. "For the right price, everything that I own is for sale." (The price for my Model A Ford would be ridiculously high, The price for my Country Squire Wagon might be semi-reasonable.)

Guest windjamer

I bought my property in 1972, at the time there was and still is a 30 something dodge disasambled and mostly hanging on the walls of the neighbors garage. About 15 years ago I ask the owner if he might want to sell it. I might as well have slaped him, he jumped right up and told me (I would sell my wife befor I would sell that car.) I told him I didnt want to buy his wife.

I recently was asked if my Willys fire engine was for sale. I told the gentleman if his pockets were deep enough. My 11 year old Daughter said "Dad" as she knows it is her fire engine. I was lucky enough to have a similar unrestored truck move through Ebay. I copied the auction with the 50 bids on it and the final selling price. I have that page in my photo album I always carry. In my mind a RESTORED version is worth double that because I know what is cost to bring it back.

If that Ebay auction selling price makes them wobble at all they are wasting their time.

Hence, pockets are not deep enough.

I have a friend who is a very successful antique dealer and he will never make an offer - always asking the seller for his asking price. If too high, he asks "can you give me a friendlier price?" (Nice way to word it). In some cases, the asking price is a giveway and he walks off with a great deal. In other cases, he can either try to work down the asking price or walk. The trouble with giving a price is that the prospective buyer will then usually ask for a lesser price. So my advice to anyone selling a car is to ask for an offer - you might be shocked at what someone might be willing to pay. If not a good offer, you can always decline. And if a fair offer, you can probably squeeze a few dollars more, depending on how anxious the buyer is.

One time I was with this same antique dealer and we stopped at a small antique shop. He spotted an old cast iron bank, asking for a price. The owner of the shop asked $25. He bargained real hard to get it for $15. Later in the car, I asked what it was worth - about $350 he said. I asked him why he didn't just pay the $25 - he replied "force of habit".

Other times, you might make a generous offer to buy and the seller might think then that the car is worth a lot more, so sometimes offering too much is not a good idea. Best to ask for the price if you are buying and ask for an offer if you are selling.

Fred

I bought my property in 1972, at the time there was and still is a 30 something dodge disasambled and mostly hanging on the walls of the neighbors garage. About 15 years ago I ask the owner if he might want to sell it. I might as well have slaped him, he jumped right up and told me (I would sell my wife befor I would sell that car.) I told him I didnt want to buy his wife.
Sure would like to see a photo of that 30 something Dodge hanging on the wall.

Guest windjamer

31, the story I got was he worked all summer at a station and salvage yard. At the end of summer the owner of the yard told him to pick out one of the cars and take it home. Befor going back to school he drove it to Buffalow and back and the decided to restore it. He took it apart ,hung what he could and thats the way it is today. I know its a coupe with rumble seat,thats about all I know. If I catch him in the yard I will ask year and modle

Want my 15 Buick? Bring $10,000,000.00 and drive it home right after the funds clear the bank. ;) I might be crazy,:confused: But I aint stupid. :D Dandy Dave!

Dave....I think I have come up with enough to buy your car......

post-37352-143138100229_thumb.jpg

"I asked him why he didn't just pay the $25 - he replied "force of habit".

I call that a courtesy bargain. If a buyer jumps at the asking price the seller feels he didn't ask enough is is bummed out. It's a courtesy to the seller to always make him feel he got the best price that he could.

A general rule of bargaining is whoever mentions price first is at a disadvantage..........Bob

Or a picture of the cash required prior to starting your restoration?

At the Swigart Museum show last week I had a guy (who owns an antique car) come up to me and state that I must have $2,000 in my vehicles restoration.

post-30758-143138100638_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ron Green (see edit history)

Or a picture of the cash required prior to starting your restoration?

At the Swigart Museum show last week I had a guy (who owns an antique car) come up to me and state that I must have $2,000 in my vehicles restoration.

Now THAT could be either very funny (my 1st reaction) or very depressing as in "does the car LOOK like it has only had $2,000.00 put into the restoration?".

My reaction when someone wants to buy one my cars is "No." I never WANT to sell any of my cars. The only reason I sold the 1928 Model A pickup/stakebed was because when I bought it, the first thing I said to my wife was "Man, if we ever had to sell it, we could make a killing!". Well, we had to sell it, but we paid the house off. YIPPEE!!

Quote: "Now THAT could be either very funny (my 1st reaction) or very depressing as in "does the car LOOK like it has only had $2,000.00 put into the restoration?".<!-- google_ad_section_end --> Your right I may have been insulted and was to dumb to realize it. :confused:

Wayne, :)

Woooooo Weeeeee............ I finally found someone crazier -N- me. :eek:

I'll take it... ;) Good by Buick, :( Hello 1910 Mercer race about. :D LOL...Dandy Dave!

Kinda wish someone would ask me if our 1946 Cadillac 62 was for sale....that would put a big smile on my wife's face (and give me the funds to finish the restoration of our 1940 Cadillac 60S.

Well since I am actually an antique and classic car dealer this can't happen enough. As a matter of fact in this economy in NE Ohio it does not happen near enough. BUT, when I am driving my 1948 Nash 600 Sedan that I inherited from my 94 year old aunt, it is most certianly NOT for sale for any amount of money. That dealer stuff only goes so far even for me. I love that old car and my aunt for giving it to me.

Ever since I sold my first car (55 Ford Victoria) back in the Precambrian era I have not hesitated to sell and move on. I have loved most of my cars but once I have learned all about them and the project is finished I am already looking for the next one. If someone asks about buying my car while I'm still working on it I may throw out a crazy price but that has unfortunately never resulted in an early sale.