Anyone else noticed show turnouts getting lower?

Pontiac59

Here is the bottom line, people can cut back in other areas:

Cable T.V.

Buy Generic Brands

Dont run the air con. in your car when you dont need to (if equipped!)

Dont go to a stupid starbucks coffee

buy off the dollar menu at fast food joints

Tip less!

get coupons

sell off a few extra car parts that you dont need so, you can go to the show

Get gas at Cosco

Dont go to the movies

stay at a Super 8 or renovated Motel 6

Book on a trip website

Dont buy that one unnecessary car polish or part that you do not need.

I love going to shows, of course most of them are within a half hour away from my house on a regular basis. It has not affected my attendance or me taking long drives in the old cars, I fillher up about 5 gallons and see where that takes me! Of course, I mostly have 6 cyls!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AlK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the problem in this area is there are not ANY quality shows

with any kind of objective judging. they are mostly good-ole-boy shows where Billy-Joe-Bubba-Ray-Don-Bob brings in his 2007 vette to an "antique and classic' car show and takes best of show. That is pretty much why I have not shown any of my cars in the last three years or so except to try and sell one. I went to the "Buried Car" meet last year in Tulsa and had a blast. </div></div>

Sounds like Portland Oregon area. There is a group of car owners that have formed a car club called the "Loose Ends" in the Portland area. None of their cars are anything to rave about and all they do is go to the shows and stuff the ballot box at Peoples Choice shows. For example at one show in the stock class, a mid 60s driver shape Cadillac beat out three beautiful early 70s Mopar fresh restoration. All because it was a Peoples Choice show and they stuffed the ballot box. You never see the "Loose Ends" at a judged show. You just got go and enjoy the shows though it does bother a lot of people they way these shows are rigged.

I'm currently on a once-every-two days fillup in my commuter car due to a broken gas guage. I've noticed price per gallon of gas going down where I buy it (a gas/rest stop on I-95 in West Haven, CT), over the past couple of weeks or so, appaering to go down by a couple of cents each time. Maybe the late summer won't be so bad for people being able to afford the gas to go to car shows (and/or anywhere else)...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dave@Moon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Watch for things to get worse in this area. Road repairs are almost exclusively paid for with fuel taxes. With the massive reduction in fuel consumption lately due to fuel prices, those taxes are reportedly down 5-10% this year from last. If a "tax holiday" somehow gets approval (very unlikely now), either state or Federal, it'll be even worse. </div></div>

BTW, some states are worse than others. Some politicians are "redirecting" money allocated to road/bridge construction & repairs to other things.

A few years ago the governor of my state "redirected" 700 million dollars out of the PENNDOT budget to fund Mass Transit.

Funny how the vast majority of the money went to Mass Transit systems in Philadelphia and Pittsburgh.

The timing of this was even more interesting since this money was redireted while the Governor was campaigning for re-election.

Also interesting to note that in order to win the Governors race in Pennsylvania a candidate has to do well in Pittsburgh and Philadelphia. Hmmmmmm.

Still trying to find out if the 700 million dollars was ever put back in PENNDOT's budget.

This is just one example of why the bridges and roads in Pennsylvania are in the condition they are in and how reductions in fuel consumption

(and gas taxes) are not necessarily to blame for road repairs not being done. Many states have not been keeping up with road repairs and construction for decades. Heck one road project just completed a couple of years ago in my area took 30-40 YEARS to get done. Yet road projects in other areas of the state are done in a lot less time (ie under 10 years). I guess the state representatives for my area need to start taking lessons from their peers who can get roads built in the middle of the state much faster.

Guest windjamer

Redirect hell, here in NY gas taxes road repair, lottery money and anything else the politions can get there hands on all gos into the GENERAL FUND.that makes it easer to steal. We all know where Gov. caught with his pants off redirected some.

Guest Skyking

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: charlier</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Just wondering, how was the turnout at Macungie this year compared to years past?

</div></div>

They say it was off some but nevertheless it was a great show, very well organized as usual. This is one show I really look forward to every year. There are cars you don't often see elsewhere. Pre-registration is only $10.00 per day before Dec. 31st.

Guest Skyking

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dave@Moon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Watch for things to get worse in this area. Road repairs are almost exclusively paid for with fuel taxes. </div></div>

Here in RI our roads are probably the worst in the country (for the size of the state). I often tell people there isn't a good one here, other than RT95. Now they are telling us the only way to raise money to repair the bridges & roads is to put a toll on 95 as you enter from Connecticut. So much for our gas tax. We all know where that went.

I found the worst drive was going RT287 over the Tappan Zee bridge into NJ. The bridge is held together with steel plates that you have to drive over. I don't know how any car survives that in a daily basis. Also returning from 287 to 95 North there is a stretch about 1/4 mile that your car literally leaves the road it's so bad. This stretch has been like this for years. They just won't repair it. We are spending millions daily in this war and are living this way here. It don't make any sense......................

The following was just e mailed to me:

Hello Gentlemen!

Your names and club were forwarded onto me as a lead to contact regarding last minute registrants for our Auburn Concours d’Elegance on Sunday, August 31st. It is one of our few charity events located on the grounds of the WWII Victory Museum in Auburn, Indiana (right across from the Kruse International Auction Park on I-69).

Fittingly, this year’s Concours is recognizing Indiana manufactured automobiles. Unfortunately, our numbers are down this year and I have not reached my goal of 10 Indiana automobiles. I am hoping you can assist me in passing along this email to anyone in your club that may be interested or available in participating. The deadline for picture submission and registration has been extended to August 19th.

Thank you for your time!

Sincerely,

Tiffany Miller

Special Events/Promotions

The Dean V. Kruse Foundation – a 501©3 Non-Profit Organization

P.O. Box 1

5634 County Road 11A

Auburn, IN 46706

Phone: 1.260.927.9144

Now I've never heard of a Concourse associated with the Kruise Auction Labor Day weekend. Personally, for moral reasons, I would never take a car to that event. That being said however, notice the letter said "our numbers are down this year." I wonder if this is because of high gas prices, or because of the people backing this event. THe funny thing too is it's the same weekend and location as the ACD meet in Auburn. They have 200 - 300 ACD cars there and they can't get 10 of them to come to their event? Again, I think it's more to do with who is promoting this event rather than the event itself.

Macungie

This year was the same great show as the last twenty I've attended. Its mix of cars on Saturday and the clubs on Sunday, the flea market, car corral, craft show, entertainment and opportunity to see old friends every year make it my favorite. Attendance was probably down, but there was still a good crowd and most of the people I wanted to see were there.

Nice Mets

You'll have trouble finding two nicer than Bob and Dennis's

Car Show Attendance

Although this group is partial to them, shows that cater to restored classics will fade away. Macungie and Hershey are some of the largest shows in the north east and get 1200 to 1500 cars while the street rod shows get 5,000 to 10,000 cars. There were far more tuners at last weekends local AACA show than there were prewar cars. Local clubs, and I think the AACA in general has to start to embrace aspects more of the collector car hobby to attract young people.

Spending

Its a matter of setting priorities and if there is not enough money for everything, something has to go or you need to get another job. (If you are spending money for kids orthodontia on your stock car or collector car you probably chose wrong)

See you at Hershey

Bill

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stock_steve</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm currently on a once-every-two days fillup in my commuter car due to a broken gas guage. I've noticed price per gallon of gas going down where I buy it (a gas/rest stop on I-95 in West Haven, CT), over the past couple of weeks or so, appaering to go down by a couple of cents each time. Maybe the late summer won't be so bad for people being able to afford the gas to go to car shows (and/or anywhere else)... </div></div>

Ref: http://money.cnn.com/2008/08/11/news/economy/fuel/?postversion=2008081106

"Retail gasoline prices fell for the 25th day in a row..."

Oh no, even CNN is admitting it now...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stock_steve</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stock_steve</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm currently on a once-every-two days fillup in my commuter car due to a broken gas guage. I've noticed price per gallon of gas going down where I buy it (a gas/rest stop on I-95 in West Haven, CT), over the past couple of weeks or so, appaering to go down by a couple of cents each time. Maybe the late summer won't be so bad for people being able to afford the gas to go to car shows (and/or anywhere else)... </div></div>

Ref: http://money.cnn.com/2008/08/11/news/economy/fuel/?postversion=2008081106

"Retail gasoline prices fell for the 25th day in a row..."

Oh no, even CNN is admitting it now... </div></div>

Oh no? confused.gif

First of all, the presumption that anyone thinks the hardship these prices represent is a good thing is offensive.

Second, the logic here is flawed at best. $3.80/gal is a reason to celebrate? By that logic yesterday's victory over the Mets makes the Pittsburgh Pirates a great baseball team, despite the fact that they're about to set the MLB record for consecutive losing seasons.

These prices have fallen, such as they have, because the inelastic demand for oil finally began to yield. We're each now using about 1 1/2 gallons per week less than we did last year. Change that, and watch things change back. Quickly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ron Green</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Macungie was way down this year in car counts and from personally speaking to many of the flea market vendors, they too stated that attendance was off big time. It was still a great meet but the show field was easily 30% less vehicles then previous years. </div></div>

OUCH, 30% decrease in the number of cars on the show field is not small potatoes.

Then again one does have to wonder if the predicted Thunderstorms and Hail on that Saturday had

more to do with the decrease in attendance than gas prices. Guess we will never know for sure.

BTW, doesn't Macungie usually attract 1,000 - 1,500 cars for the Antique day of the event?

If so 30% translates to 300-500 cars less than prior years.

Charlie; There were a lot of fields that were empty or semi empty. I do believe that the weather predictions had something to do it. I did hear several commenting they didn't bring their car because of the forecast. It did rain. The food and french fry lines were busy all day. smile.gif

1948: Quote""Second, the logic here is flawed at best. $3.80/gal is a reason to celebrate?" Ok I am in to this day 12 hours with a few hours to go; I am either dumb, exhausted or whatever however I am unsure how this relates to my post? confused.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ron Green</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Charlie; There were a lot of fields that were empty or semi empty. I do believe that the weather predictions had something to do it. I did hear several commenting they didn't bring their car because of the forecast. It did rain. The food and french fry lines were busy all day. smile.gif </div></div>

Ron; Thanks for the additional input about Macungie.

I do find it somewhat strange that this event, in general, has had little to no buzz here on the forums (unless I missed it).

Given it's size, I would have thought there would have been a thread to two about it (ie how the swap meet was, the car show, car corral, etc.)

BTW, I was at a brand specific car event on the Saturday of Macungie near York, PA.

That event had two heavy downpours and some T-Storms that afternoon.

The second storm had hail along with it but the show area was spared (it hailed outside of town).

Should be interesting to see what attendance is like for Fall Hershey this year (swap meet, car corral, car show).

Those who have not registered had better snap to it with only two more days left.

I attended the BCA (105 years for Buick, 100 years for GM.) nationals In Flint Michigan, and also the GM 100 parade there. It was repoted that attendance was down from the previous show at that location 5 years earlier for the 100 years of Buick show. There were just over 600 cars for this event compared to 1,300 to 1,400 for the BCA Meet (So I was told.) in 03. It was still a good time, expecially the Pre War Tour, which had about 15 cars in attendance.

The GM 100 parade had about 256 cars in the parade. smile.gif Dave!

Guest Skyking

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: charlier</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Given it's size, I would have thought there would have been a thread to two about it (ie how the swap meet was, the car show, car corral, etc.)

</div></div>

Somehow, Macungie is the best kept secret in alot of clubs including the Metroplitan Owners Club. They do little to promote the meet. I find that this is the one show I wouldn't miss. The drive over from the host hotel, about 8 miles is worth the trip!

This is only about half the cars that were in attendance...............

The second photo is when we stop half-way to the meet at an old Fire House.

IMG_0509.jpg

IMG_0512.jpg

Guest Skyking

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ron Green</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Small world. I was at the host hotel Saturday morning to meet my friend Ron Trudeau (Met with Sweet Pea on continental kit). He let me take his for a spin. </div></div>

Rons in our Yankee Chapter.........he has a Chevette motor & tranie in his Met. An awesome guy!!!

Bob, Thanks for posting the photos.

Interesting that your group stopped at that Fire Company.

That particular company is a few blocks from my brother's house.

I can understand that Macungie might be a secret among some clubs.

It just seems strange that Ontelanauee Region is so involved in this event yet there is hardly a peep about the event here on the AACA Forums.

Guest Skyking

Interesting that your group stopped at that Fire Company.

That particular company is a few blocks from my brother's house.

</div></div>

Wow, it is a small world..........

• 2 weeks later...

I have waited a bit to make this post. Just a couple of thoughts:

1. We just had a meet in Mason City, Iowa. They went about 25% over their estimate on car attendance. At the same time gained quite a few new members for their region and several for AACA on show day. It shows you what can be done when a group is so enthusiastic about what they are doing. It was a wonderful show and everyone was seen to have smiles on their faces. Huge public draw as well!

2.Hershey: doom and gloom was forecast by some. I was somewhat in that group and now need to spend the afternoon with an emergency order for trophies. Flea market spaces are all sold out and car corral is oversold! The club is searching for more space! The car show: despite some problems last year, the economy and gas prices, the show will be bigger this year! Yes larger, they are still entering the data but it could end up with around 125 more cars than last year!

I am not naive enough to think that we don't have a concern about shows but once in awhile it is great to hear some POSITIVE news! smile.gif

That's good news Steve, the national meets seem to be very strong this season in spite of the doom and gloom that was forecast earlier. I think part of this thread addresses local events and it is my observation that folks are getting more selective. It seems that every shopping center parking lot has a car show every weekend sometimes. I think people are holding out for something special, and events like our AACA national meets offer just that.

See you all in Hershey!

Terry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Steve Moskowitz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hershey: doom and gloom was forecast by some. I was somewhat in that group and now need to spend the afternoon with an emergency order for trophies. Flea market spaces are all sold out and car corral is oversold! The club is searching for more space! The car show: despite some problems last year, the economy and gas prices, the show will be bigger this year! Yes larger, they are still entering the data but it could end up with around 125 more cars than last year!

once in awhile it is great to hear some POSITIVE news! smile.gif

</div></div>

Positive news?! NOT COOL, Steve!

We just had our local (Yankee chapter of the BCA) show this past weekend. While we did not see quite a few cars from previous years, there were 91 Buicks at the show, which is about 20% MORE then last year, with a bit cooler weather then the previous year.

We were quite impressed as we drew cars from CT (of course) MA, NY and I believe NJ, 5 of the nearby chapters as well as a lot of non-affiliated Buick owners.

So attendence was better then most of us expected for the current economy. So my conclusion, the economic situation may be tight, but not the gloom portrayed by the press.

I am glad to see Hershey is not suffering.

John

Everyone I know who has been going Hershey are still going. I Know at least 4 people that are going to Hershey for the first Time! I am going to bring more parts than I ever have Before a lot that has not seen daylight for a long time! I am packing as I write! I will continue to promote Hershey as the Best Show On Earth! Oldwhizzer

Our local regional meet, 2 weekends ago, was the biggest in years. Not a huge increase from last year, but that was a big year for us.

Good weather helped both years.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Steve Moskowitz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

2.Hershey: doom and gloom was forecast by some. I was somewhat in that group and now need to spend the afternoon with an emergency order for trophies. Flea market spaces are all sold out and car corral is oversold! The club is searching for more space! The car show: despite some problems last year, the economy and gas prices, the show will be bigger this year! Yes larger, they are still entering the data but it could end up with around 125 more cars than last year!</div></div>

This is good news for the event but it is also a BIG challenge for Hershey Region to find more space for the Car Corral and ~125 more show cars.

IIRC, wasn't the show field pretty full last year space wise? If so, finding space for 125 more cars could be a big challenge.

Lets hope Hershey Region can find enough space to accomodate the the increase in the car corral and the show cars.

Last thing anyone wants is this Postitive to turn into a Negative come October.

Guest windjamer

IMHO show field was over full last year. Class 27j was so tight opening car doors was difficult.volinteers do a excelent job, but you just cant put ten lbs of stuf in a five lb. bag.

• 3 weeks later...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Flea market spaces are all sold out and car corral is oversold! The club is searching for more space! The car show: despite some problems last year, the economy and gas prices, the show will be bigger this year! Yes larger, they are still entering the data but it could end up with around 125 more cars than last year!</div></div> So much for the people who got all mad and said that they would never be back. Even if those people are highly upset, it didn't deter others grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Moral of the story, if you complain it gets bigger grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif