Anyone else noticed show turnouts getting lower?

Pontiac59

I'm by no means an expert, but it sure seems like AACA show turnouts have dropped off this year.

I did an Onieda Lake Region (New York) show in Liverpool and it was quiet, even with nice weather, one field that normally fills right up had very few cars in it.

And I just got back from one in Auburn NY - Finger Lakes Region? which was the same deal - maybe 1/3 to 1/2 as many fewer cars turned out. This one was opposite an all-Mopar show at the same place in Liverpool, but I don't think that cut into it as much.

I'm already skipping the Owego NY show I did last year - I set up and sell the swap meets, and barely broke even at that one last year. These shows, my sales are down too, and I don't want to go and lose money. Yesterday I sold a whopping $29 - the gas down to Owego would cost more than that. Normally I'd do between 2 and 3 times as much.

By comparison, the hot rod shows I've sold better at, and the turnouts have been about the same. And I went back to an all-Ford show for the first time in 3 years and did pretty decent there too - this one with a terrible weather forecast, although it never really did rain. Some of these shows are at the same locations as the AACA shows, too, so it's hard to attribute the drop to other local elements.

Are people just staying home because of the price of gas?

Pony, I don't have figures, but my first meet in Charlotte was a little short because of the weather, although the awards dinner was well represented. The Flintstone Meet was really nice, lots of cars and people. It took like forever for the awards to be passed out on to sides of the room. I thought Enzo the cat, I mean Dave Berg, was going to pass out calling winner's names.

Gas prices? We attended the Sentimental Tour in June. We were very lucky to get in, with a cutoff of around 100 cars, where 300 had returned their reply cards. What a time we had. Gas prices did not deter anyone. As a matter of fact many participants drove their antique cars to the Tour.

The Burgess family's vacation has become an AACA vacation, and as you know everyone takes a vacation. wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: R W Burgess</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Burgess family's vacation has become an AACA vacation, and as you know everyone takes a vacation. wink.gif </div></div>

I too schedule "vacation" time for automotive events.

Last year, when I traveled to Kalamazoo, Michigan for the Grand National, that was my "vacation".

This year the Cumberland Meet was supposed to be a "long weekend" for me but family matters intervened.

Looks like Fall Hershey will be another "long weekend" opportunity for me.

Should be interesting to see what the turnout will be like for Das Awkscht Fescht at Macungie, PA. this coming weekend.

My schedule is full this weekend so I will unable to attend but I am sure those that do will post how the attendance was.

Should also be interesting to see what the attendance at Fall Hershey is like this year when it comes to vendors, show cars, car corral, etc.

Since Hershey is a "must attend" for many AACA members, one would think that attendance may not be impacted as much as other smaller events.

Time will tell I suppose.

Bill and I will be going to Hershey and we are taking this as we have since we got it. Well, the car behind it will be our PT Cruiser this year because we sold the Taurus in Nov. of last year.

Our worst fear is that the show cars are going to show up but not the judges. And the ones that do come will be overwhelmed and drop out next year if the gas prices stay high, or go higher.

post-36313-14313799439_thumb.jpg

I only setup to sell at Hershey, and bring stuff I can't move on eBay. The local CSRA swap is the only local one I'd bother to sell at, ease of set up and ease of early exit is the main reason. It isn't 1975 anymore, if you can't get 6 new members to post on this Forum what makes you think they will show up in the hot sun?

Our local AACA Show had record attendance this year. We went to Kalamazoo and Hershey last year, Melbourne and the Sentimental Tour this year, planning on Hershey and are looking for other stuff to do too. The hobby is alive and well in NC anyway, in spite of gas prices.

Guest windjamer

IMHO I think the price of gas will keep a lot of us home. I normaly attend a local show (100 miles one way or less)at least once a week every week starting in May. I took my Buick to cumberland this year and the boss ladys Chevelle to our own show and 2 outhers, THATS ALL!! I dont think anyone is bothered by the 50-75 cent a gal. incresse,its that first 3.50 3.75 befor the increse that hurts. I have seen shows cancled because of low attendance.As for Hershey,I think they shot themself in the foot when they moved the show to the back 40. I also think they moved it to make room for more vendors,so the show cars are left out or takeing second place. I wanted to say sucking hind t**t,but dont want to be chastized again. Will I go to Hershey this year,?? yes Lord willing,Judge?? yes, Take the chevelll yes my Buick?? I say no ,wife says yes, I would like to get my preservation and the wife is misserable when she dont get her way, so I may have to eat a little crow. Time will tell. I do hope the price of gas dont keep folks away.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Vertigo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pumpjack

Do you mean to tell me it's NOT okay to pass on a clapped out 1932 Chrysler roadster because I'll lose my shirt restoring it, but it's okay for you to pass on going to a show because you're not going to make enough money to cover the gas?

</div></div>

Big difference between buying and restoring a car because you love the car, and operating like a business by selling things, including parts to said car. Some people see the restoration aspect as a business, too, they're not really car people in my opinion, just guys looking for another way to make a buck or two.

If I can stay home and throw three things on eBay and come away with more money in my pocket, there is no reason to spend 4 hours between loading up, unloading and setting up, taking it down and packing, then unloading when I get home, plus driving nearly 200 miles round trip and putting the wear and tear on my daily driver, to come home at the end of the day having worked 12 or 14 hours straight with nothing to show for it.

Said profit gets invested in saving cars from scrap, which continues to rise, so I can't exactly afford to throw money away.

Just to let you all know we have a super cruise in Golden Co. the first Sat. of the month through the summer. Alas after several years and business support the local boy's in blue are forcing a shutdown. As you know very few if any problems, just the local boys unhappy.

We had positively crummy weather this past Sunday in Guilford, CT, for the annual "Time Machines" antique auto show--intermittent rain and downpours all day--not to mention some spectacular lightening shows at several points.

TM2008OvrllForAACA.JPG

Although I am not a member of the organization that runs the Time Machines events (CT Area Classic Thunderbird Club), I did hear very preliminary numbers of 250 show cars and 1,000 spectators--which I don't think is really too bad, considering everything (this event has scratched 1,000 show cars on perfect days in recent years). So, in my opinion, I think car show attendance, at least in the Connecticut Shoreline area, appears still to be strong...

For more and more people I know, gas prices are just one of many factors causing them to reexamine their budgets and the cost of their vacations and hobbies.

When people are faced with:

- property tax increases of $400-500 in 2008

- health care costs DOUBLING because companies are being forced to pass along increases to employees

- hefty increases in the cost of home heating oil and smaller increases in natural gas for this coming winter

- food prices at the store that have risen for some items 15-20% or more

- increased costs to maintain daily driver vehicles from hoses to oil to coolant to tires. Any items with petroleum in them have and will continue to go up

Take all of the above and more and try to pay for it when one's wages do not increase on a predictable basis.

Wage increases that used to occur every year now happen every two or three years.

Even when wages do increase the 1-3% increase pales in comparison to the increased cost for everything else.

For more and more people, gas price increases have amounted to the last straw that has forced them to look long and hard at their budgets.

Obviously, when necessities like food, housing etc go up ways must be found to compensate usually by reducing spending in other areas.

For some, those cutbacks may involve entertainment, vacations or hobbies (including the antique car hobby).

People in the car hobby most certainly face some tough decisions in the years ahead.

Does one:

- go to a larger event instead of a multiple smaller events or the other way around?

- base their decision on how much it costs to attend an event (ie fuel, tolls, lodging, food, admission/entry fees, etc.) ?

- base their decision on how far away the event is from their home?

- base their decision on the attributes of the event (ie. held on grass, blacktop, shade/no shade, facilities in general, etc.)

- decide to attend an event based on how many of their friends in the car hobby attend that event?

- develop some sort of "fun factor" criteria and apply it to each event then decide to go or not?

Sooner or later even the most active people in the car hobby will start giving more thought to which events are "must attend" and which are not.

Unless one has an unlimited amount of time and money, for many, these choices are something they will face sooner or later.

Great points Chralie! You did leave out fully funding college educations for kids that don't get a free ride with jock scholarships. People wonder why the country is going down the tubes, when college space is taken up with people with IQ's equal to their shoe size. The big established shows will go on, the little 1-5 year old ones will have a tought time surviving. I still have my life time goal of attending Pebble Beach and the LA Roadster Show.

I personally see a change in some of the events that folks like to attend. I don't normally attend the usual, sit in the sun and bake events to get a two dollar trophy. That was fun maybe once.

I think that most AACA regional meets do a pretty good job at making them more than just a show and shine. AACA realizes that PEOPLE make the hobby...the owners, the restorers, the designers, the builders, etc. I love club meets because you get to learn so much from the other folks I meet. The great stories of the barn finds, the search for the elusive part, the horrors of the inept body shop, the triumph of the Senior Award....

I still take the Vette to some local shows that are charity related, and the annual Corvette Carlisle deal, but on a nice day I really just prefer driving the stink out of it!

I have been thinking hard about Hershey and Judging too, but my thoughts also go to the gas prices, hotels at $165 plus a night, if you can find one etc. Even to fly there and rent a car can still be costly. I know that several car events here in Central Florida have stopped due to low attendance and everyone is saying the gas is the reason. People just want to hold on to their money since the future is uncertain. I guess Hershey will soon be just a rich mans gathering. They are the only ones that can afford it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: durant28</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I guess Hershey will soon be just a rich mans gathering. They are the only ones that can afford it. </div></div>

I think that as long as there is a Hershey it will one of the top ones, or the one, that people will still try to come to. They might save all year to go to that one show but they will still try to make it.

A couple years ago we started coming up a few days sooner than we had been able to when we were both working. It has turned into a vacation trip as well as looking for parts and judging.

If I only went to one car show a year it would be Hershey. I have gone every year since 1976 except about 3 of 4 years ago when it rained through the whole show. I am lucky that I live fairly close so gas is no problem. Hershey is the class act of old car shows. If you have never been there I urge you to go, it will be worth it!

Guest Bluesky636

Part of the problem, at least here in Northern Virginia, is the sheer number of shows. Just this Saturday (August 2) there are SEVEN shows, all within 50 miles or less of each other! Granted, these are not AACA shows, but the area has become saturated with shows. It seems like every hotel/church/winery/school club in the area contacts me about help organizing a show. When I ask when the show will be they say "next month." Some have even said "next week." When I stop laughing, I tell them they need to start planning at least a year in advance.

I think gas prices have had some effect, as has the weather. NOVA is notorious for severe afternoon thunderstorms in July and August. The Leesburg Cruise-In back in June (a major show) was cut short after only two hours due to a severe storm. The fact that it was near 100 degrees during the day didn't help. Even the Sully show (THE car show in NOVA) was affected. Storms the night before wet the field down and a lot of people showed up late because of fears of a flooded show field. Several years ago they lost an entire field due to soft ground and minor flooding.

People are being more choosy in the shows they attend. I know I am.

Guest windjamer

I attended a local show this past Sunday. 40 miles from home. The weather was cloudy but warm and a nice brease. Thirty six classes,maby 125 cars. Class 1 Nat. vech. had 3 cars 2 where mine. Class 18 mopar muscle all, had 0 cars. Pretty sad. I did see a repoduction 1908 Gadabout. several classes had only one or two vech. Show is at least ten years old, you figure.

I went to Macungie this past weekend for the first time and it was a wonderful event. There was a super array of vehicles, the weather cooperated, there is a lot of nice shade to be had and there is room to move around.

No idea if the attendance was up or down, but it looked pretty busy on Saturday.

pitt64

"I know around Pittsburgh people are sick of the loud music they play.

I e-mailed one of the DJs (R.G. Summers WWSW) and suggested to lower the music and got a very snotty rude response back."

What does this have to do with low attendance? (i'm lost?)

Peter

Peter,

A lot of the d.j.'s at local car cruises overpower the audience near them by blasting the music <span style="text-decoration: underline">way</span> too loud in order to reach the furthest cranny of the show. In Pittsburgh there were several times that i couldn't sit near my car because of the volume, particularly at some of the largest cruises.

In particular the Crivelli Chevrolet cruise in McKees Rocks (about 2000-2500 cars each year) was deafening at times. It was never bad enough for me to leave, but I've moved my car and parked at the far end <span style="text-decoration: underline">many</span> times.

I've only attended one major cruise this year in Sharonville, OH. Attendance there was well off, probably at least 50%.

However this weekend I attended my third "British Car Day" show. All three (Louisville, Cincinnati, and Dayton [the largest]) set attendance records. It was very encouraging.

Few, if any, cars are trailered to a British car show. Driving the cars is what they're all about in that world. cool.gif Perhaps that's the biggest difference.

Last Saturday I helped with a manufacturer specific car show.

Even with the threat of thunderstorms, the turnout was 50% more than last year's event.

The start of judging was delayed for about 45 minutes while we waited for a thunderstorm/downpour to pass.

Gotta love judging after a rainstorm (especially undercarriage). At least it did not get humid after the storm passed.

The second storm after the awards lasted longer and had much more rain and some hail.

Should be interesting to see what the turnout is like at the other car events I will be attending this year.

Most people really seemed to enjoy themselves at this event which was nice.

Ironically I dosed off when the Amphicar segment came on last evening. I caught the end of the show where they tied BMW and Amphicar together through funding and they were accurate.

Another show I attended recently was a large one in Ohio and vehicle attendance was down, at least 40% including vendors.

the problem in this area is there are not ANY quality shows

with any kind of objective judging. they are mostly good-ole-boy shows where Billy-Joe-Bubba-Ray-Don-Bob brings in his 2007 vette to an "antique and classic' car show and takes best of show. That is pretty much why I have not shown any of my cars in the last three years or so except to try and sell one. I went to the "Buried Car" meet last year in Tulsa and had a blast.

It is usually the total opposite around here. Quality vehicles at many shows however there are always a few that attract the chopped, modified retro-rod's.

I am going to the Swigart museum show this Saturday and there will be Duisenberg's, Detroit Electric's, Franklin's, Stanley's, Nash & Packard hearses, etc. One of the better ones.

Guest Skyking

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dave@Moon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Few, if any, cars are trailered to a British car show. Driving the cars is what they're all about in that world. cool.gif Perhaps that's the biggest difference. </div></div>

My son & I trailered 2 Metropolitans to Macungie for this weekends show. I drove one there in 1984 and loved the drive. The difference between then & now are the poor road conditions throughout the 5 states. The infrustructure in this country is falling apart. I would <span style="font-weight: bold">never </span> chance driving that distance now. Besides, the front suspension would never hold up................. mad.gif

Therer were nice Mets driven to the Louisville and Dayton shows. The roads around here are a little better than the more traveled ones in your neck of the woods, but only a little (and around Dayton not at all for some reason). Also there's a lot of construction (especially on the interstates), which is generally not handled as well here as it is back east. eek.gif

However, driving a TR6 with wide 15" radials on a 156" car has left me a little spoiled in this regard. grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skyking</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

My son & I trailered 2 Metropolitans to Macungie for this weekends show. I drove one there in 1984 and loved the drive. The difference between then & now are the poor road conditions throughout the 5 states. The infrustructure in this country is falling apart. I would <span style="font-weight: bold">never </span> chance driving that distance now. Besides, the front suspension would never hold up................. mad.gif </div></div>

Just wondering, how was the turnout at Macungie this year compared to years past?

I agree the infrastructure in this country is falling apart.

Here in Eastern Pennsylvania where I live we have a bridge that TWICE in the last year has had pieces of the decking fall out the bottom

of the bridge onto the roadway below. In both cases, PENNDOT had to close one lane of the bridge to make "Emergency Repairs".

This bridge has been on the list of "Structurally Deficient" bridges for YEARS. Last I read, the decking on this bridge is scheduled to be replaced in 4+ more YEARS.

Have to wonder when some of the other bridges built at the same time will start falling apart.

Makes for an interesting work commute every day. Sad part is PENNDOT did not even repair the potholes in any of the bridges on my work commute.

People who wonder why others don't drive their antique cars to events have to look no further than some of the roads and bridges here in the USA.

Watch for things to get worse in this area. Road repairs are almost exclusively paid for with fuel taxes. With the massive reduction in fuel consumption lately due to fuel prices, those taxes are reportedly down 5-10% this year from last. If a "tax holiday" somehow gets approval (very unlikely now), either state or Federal, it'll be even worse.

Here is the bottom line, people can cut back in other areas:

Cable T.V.

Buy Generic Brands

Dont run the air con. in your car when you dont need to (if equipped!)

Dont go to a stupid starbucks coffee

buy off the dollar menu at fast food joints

Tip less!

get coupons

sell off a few extra car parts that you dont need so, you can go to the show

Get gas at Cosco

Dont go to the movies

stay at a Super 8 or renovated Motel 6

Book on a trip website

Dont buy that one unnecessary car polish or part that you do not need.

I love going to shows, of course most of them are within a half hour away from my house on a regular basis. It has not affected my attendance or me taking long drives in the old cars, I fillher up about 5 gallons and see where that takes me! Of course, I mostly have 6 cyls!