Sign in to follow this  
danleblanc

How do you deal with an unresponsive seller?

So, the seller never did get in touch again and he pulled the ebay listing early. Must've found someone to give him even more for his car (I was already willing to give about $2k more than what it was worth just because of the colour).

Greed got me again. 

The 70 deVille is back for sale and will hit ebay again shortly. 

This also includes me delivering my car to him some 600 miles away and picking up the car he is selling me and looking after brokerage all at my cost. 

Once again, I can live with that. "

Bad idea ...

Once you sell you car - ownership legally transfers when you receive payment.

You may not transfer title right away - but you no longer have legal ownership.

If something happens to the car while you are transporting it - you have no insurance because you do not own it.

Never offer to transport - deliver - arrange for either is you are the Seller.

It just leaves you in a position of liability - it obligates you to guarantee the car you no longer own will arrive safely

in the condition you represented it to be at the time of sale - that makes you responsible for any damage that you

or anyone you hire - does to the car.

Jim

• Like 3

So I listed my 70 again on eBay last night.  Woke up this morning to two bids.  Of course, I get curious and decide to check them out.

The new high bidder has a 72 Coupe de Ville for sale.  I read the ad and though, geez, that phone number sounds familiar.  I looked it up in my phone and low and behold, it's the same guy who jerked me around last week - BIDDING UNDER A DIFFERENT ACCOUNT!  I'm half tempted to cancel his bid.

Half tempted?  I would immediately cancel it and report it to ebay.  The guy is not worth your time, well maybe he is, and that's why you are only half-tempted.  For me, I walk away from people like that.  Not worth my time at all.

Leave his bid there. The next guy has to beat him. Now that you know, you can always refuse to sell to him or cancel his bids later. But right now, what you want is eyeballs on your car and bidders trying to beat that guy. Let his bid stand until it's clear that he's affecting the odds of your car selling. Then cancel and ban and report. This early in the game, having a bidder will help, not hurt, your chances of a sale.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Matt Harwood said:

Leave his bid there. The next guy has to beat him. Now that you know, you can always refuse to sell to him or cancel his bids later. But right now, what you want is eyeballs on your car and bidders trying to beat that guy. Let his bid stand until it's clear that he's affecting the odds of your car selling. Then cancel and ban and report. This early in the game, having a bidder will help, not hurt, your chances of a sale.

Sounds like pretty sage advice to me.

For the more advanced traders. I have had sellers turn down my offer and later contact me changing their mind. When that happens I always reply that I bought another car in the meantime but would still like to buy theirs, but can only afford X ( a lower offer). I usually end up getting the car for less than I offered in the first place.

1 hour ago, Rusty_OToole said:

For the more advanced traders. I have had sellers turn down my offer and later contact me changing their mind. When that happens I always reply that I bought another car in the meantime but would still like to buy theirs, but can only afford X ( a lower offer). I usually end up getting the car for less than I offered in the first place.

So - you lie to save a few bucks ?

Jim 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Trulyvintage said:

So - you lie to save a few bucks ?

Jim 

It wasn't a lie. I was looking at 2 or 3 different cars. My first choice, the owner turned down my offer because he had only started advertising it a few days before and there were plenty of other people interested. I told him to call me if the other buyers didn't pan out and left my phone number. Then I went and bought my second choice car, an MGB that needed a lot of work, but that I got at a very attractive price.

That is why I had enough money to buy the other car, although not as much as I originally offered.

You don't have to lie. You also don't have to repeat the same offer after they turned it down. You can start over with a brand new offer. That is the point.

If someone turns down my offer hoping for a better one, and no better offer turns up, that is a sign my offer was too high to begin with.

You don't often get a call back in these circumstances but if you do it usually means the seller is ready to talk turkey.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Yeah, I agree. I think you could say that is part of establishing market value for something which is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. And then again, there is that aspect, always lurking in old car trading, that to a greater or lesser degree, sometimes resembles trading hoss or hog. (And, speaking of such domestic animals, always remember what you learned back in 4H regarding the male gender of the bovine species : "Don't forget to scrape his solid excretia off your shoes". FAR too much of that gets tracked around some used car circles).      -  Farm boy Carl 

I just can't help it. Having too much fun here today. I better go DO something before I get myself in trouble. Bye for now,   -  CC 

B44896C6-163B-486D-A0B7-83769B9F6122.jpeg

2A36AB1F-451E-4664-B315-942E89060893.jpeg

• Haha 1

On 8/13/2018 at 10:10 AM, Matt Harwood said:

I use to never block bidders for this very reason.  I only recently started with just a couple that really didn't bid high and were problematic in paying.   I have one right now that thinks I'm his pen pal, but he bids ordinary crap high and has been paying though he did cancel a high bid on something he tainted early on so it went for the opening bid of 2.99 because it was cancelled minutes before the end of the auction.  (still not sure how that was possible). I even told him,  leave the bid and I'll just take it off his invoice and relist the item,  but he did it anyway.  Same reason I allow foreign bidders though it's sometimes a pain as unless you look, you don't know how many items they didn't win but got you a premium for. 

As Matt said you want the greatest number of fish in your pond when you are fishing. 

At the end of the day, it all ended up being irrelevant anyway.  Ended the auction last Wednesday.

A gentleman who tried to buy my 70 reached out to me.  I beat him to the car.  There was a 3x black 77 Fleetwood Brougham from the same previous owner that came for sale last April that made me regret buying the 70 - I wanted it so badly but my available funds were tied up in the convertible.

So, after a very little bit of back and forth, I'm delivering the 70 this weekend and picking up his 77 and a check.  Deposit has been received, customs paperwork has started.

Edited by danleblanc (see edit history)