1958 Caballero

95Cardinal

Congratulations for this great job, I am this restoration in France since the beginning and I am amazed by this restoration. I even showed your restoration to friends and they were amazed by this magnificent restoration.
Congratulations, you did a great job !  ;) 
this buick is beautiful :wub: :wub:
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Not sure you have left yet but do us a favour and bring back some nice weather with you OK?

Meantime, if you need some one to baby sit your baby, I'd be willing to help with that.... 😉

• Haha 2

On 3/4/2019 at 2:34 PM, 95Cardinal said:

the class competition (1958 - 1967 Restored) was fierce

Yikes -- that would seem to include 3 or 4 classes in many other shows!  A beautiful Buick among other beautiful cars -- what's not to like!  ;)

• 1 month later...
13 hours ago, SBRMD said:

How could any other cars in the class be more perfect than that?

The way they examine the cars at Autorama, the small scratches on the liftgate glass might have been enough to differentiate my car from the award winners.

It's a very comprehensive judging effort, including very detailed under-car inspection.

I don't know how my car scored, but I was proud of it!

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Thanks to all of you for the kind comments.

It was great meeting so many of you in person!

As some of you know, the Caballero received a Senior Gold award at the 2019 meet.

It also took a "1st Place" in its class at the Cincinnati Concours on June 9.

I want to thank those of you who helped and supported the build, especially Pat O'Malley, Larry Schramm, 57BuickJim, SMartin and d.e.i.

The Caballero is tucked away until late July, when it will appear at the Concours of America at St. John's in Plymouth, MI. Hope to see many Buick fans there, too!

I have planned some winter projects for the car, including installation of the power brake unit, fabrication of new floor mats and improving the rear seat trim appearance. 

Edited by 95Cardinal (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

CONGRATULATIONS ON THE AWARDS JOE! 😎

And thank you so much for adding me to you support group.

Not sure I played too much a part with the Caballero but as you know I'm "all in" with anything '58 Buick!

Having seen it up close and personal with you at times has been a great inspiration and motivation to get at my Limited as did following your thread detailing various steps that go with a nut and bolt restoration! 

May you and yours continue to enjoy the rewards of all your hard work!

It's been a pleasure to get to know you (and the gang).

• Thanks 1

Here's a little bit of "back story" to fill the gap between my last update in March and the recent posts from Oklahoma.

Immediately after the Detroit Autorama show, we left for a well-deserved vacation in Arizona.

48124137927_d920e5d957_b.jpg

Then, I made a couple of improvements to the car before heading to the Cincinnati Concours on June  9.

I installed the seals to close out the outer wheel wells to the quarter panels.
They were installed with stainless steel staples and sealed with a heavy bodied sealer between the seal and the wheelwell.
This picture shows the first 2 staples installed on the left side seal.
It was a tight environment and took some creativity to figure out a way to crimp the legs of the staples in a very small space.

46777116114_1df28dbbd6_b.jpg

Here's the completed installation:

46585378075_b85ebba551_b.jpg

I also applied undercoating to the floors and under-body as it was applied by the factory.
To begin, I masked off the frame and other areas that did not receive the factory undercoating.
In this photo, you can see the masked areas and some of the undercoating already applied to the floor pans.

32558622197_4457348fd8_b.jpg

Originally, the underside of the tire well was undercoated, but the floor pans were undercoated only to the back of the rear axle and not above the fuel tank. Go figure...

32558619777_c302d7db6a_b.jpg

I also added the 6 sets of seat belts. I chose contrasting, brown belts with the chrome lift latches.
Here, I have attached cords to the belt anchors to assist with inserting the belts between the seat cushion and the seat back.

33696409128_9ba0679be7_b.jpg

I also used a piece of harness wrap to help push the cord through the gap

46849405894_5f7b98a1fc_b.jpg

Then, bolted the belt anchors to the underbody anchor plates that were installed when the metal work was completed.

It's a nice, clean look.

46900505674_f656f2cbed_b.jpg

47572025832_a5c3f6d070_b.jpg

Installation of the rear seat belts was a little easier, since the cushion and the back can be separated.

32687844567_9d3091df64_b.jpg

I also wanted to improve the appearance of the rear liftgate windlace. It was very wavy and didn't fit snugly against the liftgate opening.

Every time I opened the gate, the windlace looked like it had been pushed out of position by the upper liftgate frame.

I removed the windlace, tore the stitching out of the cloth cover and slit the foam core to accept a plastic reinforcement:

40745948153_ed9048334d_b.jpg

I re-stitched the cover to the reinforced foam core, while adding a 3mm thick foam rubber "gasket" to tighten the fit of the windlace to the upper liftgate opening.
The gasket won't be visible when the windlace is installed because it is trapped between the metal garnish molding and the liftgate opening in the body shell.

47699349992_de0f20ba73_b.jpg

Much better!!!
The windlace is held tightly in place. It flexes "down" when the upper liftgate is closed, but it does not move out of position. It's straight and neat.

47752041881_673c56e821_b.jpg

In the circled area, you can see that the trim cover on the front seat has begun to pucker. The cover was too loose on the cushion.

48124400702_67c06d024a_b.jpg

I pulled the front seat out of the car to re-pad the seat cushion.
I removed the top 2 layers of cotton/poly padding and foam and replaced them with a thicker, firmer layer of bonded foam.
The cover is much tighter and the seat holds a more defined shape at the perimeter.

47977313477_f18073d575_b.jpg

Ready for Cincinnati!

47997717806_12d11470fe_b.jpg

48022307001_54b108a249_b.jpg

The Caballero was placed in a Featured Class, celebrating Mid-Century Modern design.
It was in a group comprised of 1958 to 1965 closed cars.

"Best in Class" (Blue Ribbon) went to a beautiful, silver, fuel injected 1963 Corvette coupe.

48034161467_e30d848f4b_b.jpg

We got "First Place" (Red Ribbon) in the class. Essentially, first runner up.

48034093063_3742678581_b.jpg

48034087328_206e51bf12_b.jpg

• Like 16

• 3 weeks later...

Want to see the Caballero on the 2020 Auto Value calendar?
You can vote once per day from each ISP, as well as from your mobile.
Here's a link to the voting page:
https://woobox.com/7gw5iu/gallery/zOs3RKGUxy4

The top 20 vote getters will be the finalists for the 12 monthly spots.
The voting ends on July 24th, so vote often!
Thanks for your help!
Joe

• Like 5

July 28, 2019: Concours of America at St. John's

I was very excited about being invited to this event. I have worked at this show as a volunteer for several years, but never expected to own a car that would be invited here.

The Caballero looked "at home" on the field. Here it is in position, next to a Continental Mark II.48409016786_5b92d6003c_b.jpg

It was in a "American Post-War - Early" class that included some phenomenal cars:
1947 Cadillac 62 convertible
1948 Pontiac Torpedo coupe
1950 Muntz Jet
1953 Buick Skylark
1963 Kaiser Dragon
1955 Olds Starfire convertible
1956 Continental Mark II
1957 Mercury Turnpike Cruiser

When I looked at the rest of the cars, I was confident that the 3 award recipients would not include my wagon.

I was shocked to get the call to come and meet with the judges!

Along with the Continental Mark II, the Caballero was selected as one of 2 "Lion" award winners. That is essentially a second place award in the class.

Best in Class went to the 57 Mercury Turnpike Cruiser. 

ANY of the cars would have been worthy recipients, but it was certainly was fun to drive through the award review and listen to the commentators talk about our wagon while a bunch of photographers took their photos.

Here we are waiting our turn for the award presentation:

48409323571_3b60493af1_b.jpg

The pink and black Turnpike Cruiser was PERFECT!

48409184772_f2f1d2aa7a_b.jpg

The Mark II looks so understated compared to the Buick!

48409355441_72dc01c005_b.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
4 hours ago, frame30 said:

Also, where do I find the rope for the back seat? Cheers from Alberta. Michael.

These are basically rubber hose wrapped in vinyl, with a chain down the middle.  I may make my own for one of my cars.  Once done, it will look and function the same.  Not sure if it can be bought as aftermarket anywhere.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, frame30 said:

I was wondering if it would cost a lot to make the pucks for the rear seat legs? I don't even have the rough ones.  Also, where do I find the rope for the back seat? Cheers from Alberta. Michael.

Michael, I'm not sure what you're referring to. Do you mean the oval shaped bumpers on the rear floor?

Michael,

You're in luck...57buickjim & I have made several of them.

I made the steel parts and he made the mold to cast the rubber pieces.

He's out of town, but we should be able to make a set in the next couple of weeks.

How many do you need?

The full-width rear seat requires 2 of them, the split folding seat uses 3.

Joe

14 hours ago, 38Buick 80C said:

Congrats!!! so thrilled for you and so well deserved. Such an amazing car!!! And Joe your attention to detail is unmatched!!!

2 minutes ago, avgwarhawk said:

Well deserved!   The restoration of this Buick is the tops!  

Thanks!

It was a pleasant surprise to be a National Award finalist.

Actually being chosen as a winner was a bit of a shock...but a very nice shock!

• Like 2