1958 Caballero

95Cardinal

On 1/11/2019 at 8:37 PM, 95Cardinal said:

First step in assembling the front seat back was to clean, paint and inspect the seat frame and spring unit.

44385367900_03b6af2ae9_b.jpg

The transverse spring wire  that supports the individual zig-zag springs (essentially the lumbar support) was fractured and had to be replaced.

This frame came from low-mileage car and was in excellent condition. The clean, shiny metal you see is as the frame appeared when the old trim cover was removed!

It has been coated with a clear protectant to preserve it.

Initial test fit of the trim cover and side panel to ensure that all the seams will be covered by the side panels as designed and sewn.

45479383544_dfd561bb90_b.jpg

I installed the 2 screws that will ultimately attach the ash tray to the seat back.

Having the screw heads in place will make it much easier to locate the attaching points for the ash tray after the trim cover has been attached to the frame.

46187682992_e3486ca871_b.jpg

Visible at the top of the above image is the first point of attachment of the seat cover. There is a wire-reinforced upper bolster that is attached via hog rings to the upper frame rail.

The heavy felt isolator is installed between the two layers of springs in the seat back spring unit. 

The trim cover is drawn over the perimeter of the frame and retained with hog rings.

45514569194_0089f96eee_b.jpg

After installing the cover and verifying the fit of the side panel, the upper bolster looks loose and baggy.

The area beneath the french seam required additional padding to fill out the cover contours.

46707854841_868af9decb_b.jpg

I removed the cover and added thin layers of cotton/poly blend padding to better match the cover shape

31454049117_70f79c2932_b.jpg

After re-installing the cover, fabricated stuffing tools like these make it easier to manipulate the last bits of padding into the necessary position under the corner:

44590591270_66444fa4a0_b.jpg

End view of the seat back after revising the corner padding.

45333730605_53a4084f00_b.jpg

Front seat back, ready for assembly to the cushion:

45467849125_1c7108121b_b.jpg

The 1958 Buick foam seat cushions were among the earliest applications of molded urethane foam seating components.

The Special models retained the traditional spring and pad designs for the seat cushions and backs.

The Century, Super, Roadmaster and Limited models were equipped with foam seat cushions, but retained "spring and pad" seat back pads with rubberized horsehair pads.

I disassembled the seat frame and cleaned and painted the steel structure. Since the cushion frame had some surface corrosion, I used a more aggressive treatment and then painted the frame black.

I inserted a stiff reinforcement layer of woven carpet material between the springs and the foam layer, hog-ringing the carpet to the zig-zag springs to ensure that the underlayment would not shift with occupant entry/egress. The carpet replaces the original layer of cotton burlap, which had long ago lost its ability to support the foam and isolate it from the springs.

45467846185_4b6cee4835_b.jpg

New foam is installed, along with a layer of non-woven cotton/poly felt to retain the rear edge of the foam to the frame.

The felt also acts as an insulator/isolator between the rear section of the trim cover and the "bar cover", or rear bottom section of the frame.

45467850845_1232f0b71c_b.jpg

The foam is trimmed to shape and "skived" or contoured at the perimeter to give a smooth appearance of the cover after assembly.

I have found that an electric carving knife works great for shaping and contouring the urethane foam.

45467855495_9b6140c384_b.jpg

The pink chalk mark highlights the center of the frame and the center of the trim cover.

I always start in the center and work outwards from the center to establish and maintain the proper cover position on the seat.

46380311421_c9e5f45de8_b.jpg

Like the original design, I added a layer of padding and burlap above the foam, then applied the trim cover:

44563364210_0f5c75bd07_b.jpg

The first step in retaining the cover was to hog ring the rear "tie-down" to the lower portion of the seat frame, just beneath where the forward edge of the seat back would eventually be positioned.

Then, working out from the center, hog-ringing the perimeter of the cover to the frame.

After building up the assembly, I determined that I needed additional padding to get the required comfort, fit and appearance. The cover was too loose on the pad assembly.

45481020465_e03ff2b34b_b.jpg

I removed the cover from the frame and added a thin layer of padding over the entire seating surface, with additional layers around the perimeter to provide a more full looking perimeter.

45485363845_f8ce2520b8_b.jpg

The second build-up was much improved

45677295754_e304e30d05_b.jpg

Attaching the seat back to the cushion is accomplished with 6 - yes, 6! - 1/4-20 bolts.

31461338977_ef91f8d4cb_b.jpg

Adding the ash tray and robe cord to the seat back:

45684219104_9073e86fda_b.jpg

It took 3 of us to maneuver the seat into the car, but we managed to position it without any injuries or damage:

31468489607_e241f01655_b.jpg

It will be challenging (impossible?) to install the seat side panels in the vehicle, but the side panels are still at the anodizer's facility.

If necessary, the seat will be removed to allow installation of the aluminum trim panels.

Dear Joe:  Putting my front seat in next week I hope.  As you know, most of my photos blew up in the computer.  Does the front seat just bolt down or (as I have been told) there are two little channels that hold the front down.  Confused. Any pictures of what they (if needed) might look like?  Great series.  I use your site a lot for my restoration. 49D wagon. Cheers from Alberta. Michael.

Frame30 wrote: "Dear Joe:  Putting my front seat in next week I hope.  As you know, most of my photos blew up in the computer.  Does the front seat just bolt down or (as I have been told) there are two little channels that hold the front down.  Confused. Any pictures of what they (if needed) might look like?  Great series.  I use your site a lot for my restoration. 49D wagon. Cheers from Alberta. Michael."

Michael,

Yes, there are 2 u-shaped brackets that mount to the floor pan and retain the front of the seat adjuster. They are the 2 pieces with 2 bolt clearance holes in this image:

49566431513_161218eba3_b.jpg

These brackets are approximately 1" wide, about 4" long and approx. 1" high.

Hope this helps!

Joe

• Like 2

4 hours ago, 95Cardinal said:

Frame30 wrote: "Dear Joe:  Putting my front seat in next week I hope.  As you know, most of my photos blew up in the computer.  Does the front seat just bolt down or (as I have been told) there are two little channels that hold the front down.  Confused. Any pictures of what they (if needed) might look like?  Great series.  I use your site a lot for my restoration. 49D wagon. Cheers from Alberta. Michael."

Michael,

Yes, there are 2 u-shaped brackets that mount to the floor pan and retain the front of the seat adjuster. They are the 2 pieces with 2 bolt clearance holes in this image:

49566431513_161218eba3_b.jpg

These brackets are approximately 1" wide, about 4" long and approx. 1" high.

Hope this helps!

Joe

Dear Joe: Thanks!! You wouldn't have to have two of these you would like to sell? Seems my seats were never properly seated. Cheers. Michael.

• 2 months later...

Hi Juan,

If I remember correctly, front to back adjustment was accomplished by setting the wedges and travel stops at the both front and rear ends of the glass opening, at the very top of the door. Every adjustment seemed to have some interaction with other settings, so it tokk me a lot of trial and error to get it right.

The Fisher Body Service Manual has detailed, step by step instructions for the removal of the window glass and all related parts. After lots of frustrating experimentation, I found that the best way to line up the windows was to follow the instructions in the reverse order. Be patient!

• Thanks 1

Juan,

Looks like the 55 is quite different from the 58.

On a 58, the door weatherstrip comes up over the rear edge and attaches along the upper edge of the door.

If you have a 1955 Fisher Body Service Manual or a Buick Body Parts book, there should be pictures of that area.

Here is what the rear, upper corner of the 58 weatherstrip looks like:

42987846185_38d3497c91_b.jpg

Hi Juan, sorry I missed the part where you have a 55 (maybe start a new thread with a specific title)

Anyhow I have two model 63 four door hardtops for 55.

There is a formed piece of rubber held by a stainless strip, screwed to the door.  Send me a PM and I can supply the body manual.

549113988_IMG_20200522_1049082431.thumb.jpg.f9223cd337f55b325d1b493d424e6cdb.jpg547657553_IMG_20200522_104722726_HDR1.thumb.jpg.8f2d6bce2e1ade58116674ca92939985.jpg

Both of my cars are late production and both made in Dallas, TX

There were two different mechanisms on the first year four door hardtop.

I just thought I’d throw these pics in from a junkyard I’m going to when weather permits. Unfortunately rain is in the forecast for the next few days. Don’t cry when you see the pics. I know, it’s an Olds, not Buick. But some interchange. 

CE983FD8-BDD7-4C6E-BE8A-CB2D784CF237.jpeg

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Congratulations, Joe!  I just read on the Hemmings website about your fabulous win of the AACA Zenith award this past weekend.  So well deserved!

Here's a link to the story for people who may have missed it:

https://www.hemmings.com/stories/2020/08/26/a-buick-century-caballero-is-the-first-post-war-car-to-win-the-aacas-zenith-award?refer=news&utm_source=edaily&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2020-08-26

Neil

Edited by neil morse (see edit history)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

On 8/26/2020 at 9:23 PM, lancemb said:

Awesome job Joe, well-deserved!

On 8/27/2020 at 12:55 PM, avgwarhawk said:

Well deserved. Beautiful wagon!  

12 hours ago, EmTee said:

Joe, the fact that you did the work yourself and shared it with us on this forum makes the result all the more impressive to me.  Congratulations!  ;)

Thank you, everyone!

• 3 months later...

A heads up to everyone -- don't miss the great article on Joe's Caballero in the November/December issue of Antique Automobile with wonderful photos by West Peterson.  The lead double-page side-view photo shows just how perfect the fit and finish of body panels and trim is on this car.  Probably better than any Caballero at the time it left the factory!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 5/22/2020 at 7:50 PM, Rusty Heaps said:

I just thought I’d throw these pics in from a junkyard I’m going to when weather permits. Unfortunately rain is in the forecast for the next few days. Don’t cry when you see the pics. I know, it’s an Olds, not Buick. But some interchange. 

CE983FD8-BDD7-4C6E-BE8A-CB2D784CF237.jpeg

great restoration project :wub:

• 3 months later...
17 minutes ago, JohnD1956 said:

@95Cardinal  Congratulations on the write up in Hemmings Classic Cars June 2021 issue # 201.  Almost can't wait for part 2 next month.

Thanks John.

I haven't seen the magazine yet, so

I'm looking forward to seeing the article and photos!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, 95Cardinal said:

Thanks John.

I haven't seen the magazine yet, so

I'm looking forward to seeing the article and photos!

You won't be disappointed.  You really did such a great job and It looks fantastic!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, EmTee said:

Hemmings' photographers do a great job.  I subscribe to HMM and the photos are what hooked me!  ;)

Barry Kluczyk, a professional freelance photographer, took all the new images for the HCC article. He did a great job!

The detailed "work-in-process" images are my photos.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 1 year later...

Hello Albuquerque NM I'm new to this forum and have enjoyed this restoration thread. This summer I picked up a 57 Caballero that's in near perfect original condition. I've spent the last few month going through it after being parked in a garage for 50 plus years. I'm just about done, and I’m looking forward to now detailing it up. One think I've been trying to locate is the piece of weather stripping that attaches to the front of the rear roll up window. Any idea where I might find this  rubber?

PXL_20220621_030411457.jpg

• Like 6

Great looking car! I'm looking forward to seeing more of it.

I don't think the 57 and 58 window seal systems are identical. Have you tried CARS (oldbuickparts.com)?

@1957buickjim will know what you need; he just finished a 57 hardtop wagon.

Joe

• Like 1

Wow - those are unique!  I don't recall ever seeing a set of those before.  It would almost be worth another set of rims to mount your 'driving tires'.  Those could be used for display only.  Are they new enough to have letter sizing (e.g., H78-15) or do they have an all numerical size (e.g., X.XX-15)?

Edited by EmTee (see edit history)

Nice Car! Congratulations on your new addition. Feel free to PM me regarding anything you might need for the wagon. I probably can help in some form or fashion. As Joe said, I just finished a 57 Riviera Estate Wagon this past summer. 

What is the paint scheme on your wagon? Would love to see some interior pictures and engine compartment pics as well. 

IMG_6490 (2).jpg

IMG_6489 (1).jpg

IMG_6478 (2).jpg

IMG_6600 (1).jpg

• Like 6

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
On 2/12/2024 at 9:11 AM, bkyrd_wrench said:

A great restore effort. I've noticed that many photo links are "broken". Looks like the place where they were (flicker?) removed them? Very sad.

Yes, I closed out my Flickr account and am slowly re-linking the images. If you follow the thread, you'll be notified as I make updates.

Joe

• Thanks 1