Sign in to follow this  
Matt Harwood

Trailer basics

................... Iowa, Louisiana - just west of Lake Charles this past weekend for the Spring Tour hosted by the Contraband Chapter of Louisiana region, AACA.

A good time was had by all who attended - especially from the other Chapters of LA Region, with typically great Louisiana cooking by our hosts, nice back-roads to drive, a cruise on pontoon boats, and door prizes galore! ...............

Who do I contact with that group, Marty? I want to presuade them to host a National Tour.

Wayne

Who do I contact with that group, Marty? I want to presuade them to host a National Tour.

Wayne

I guess I could be the contact Wayne, but right now all seven Chapters of Louisiana Region are trying to decide how best to support the:

2015 CENTRAL DIVISION FALL MEET IN HOUMA, LOUISIANA

FOLLOWING THE 2015 MEET, WE COULD CERTAINLY LOOK AT THAT IDEA (sorry for the all-caps).

Our Region hosted a Founders Tour and two (2) Divisional Tours in the past, and all attendees seemed to want to come back to Louisiana !!

[quote name=Marty Roth;1286388

Our Region hosted a Founders Tour and two (2) Divisional Tours in the past' date=' and all attendees seemed to want to come back to Louisiana !!

Me too, Marty!:D

There's a heck of a nice trailer for sale on the MTFCA (Model T) forums, in Texas, under $10k for a 2009..... Looks great...

I have been following the meanderings of this thread with great interest, since Matt started it about a month ago.

Saw several nice trailers and read about the benefits of an "escape door". Marty's trailer seems to be very well planned, though it needs a good wax job, HEHE.

My question is, has anyone ever bought an enclosed car hauler, regretted not having the "escape door", and added one to his rig on his own ?

I don't mean taking it back to the plant and having them do it, I mean a back yard fab job. At this point pictures would be nice...............

For many Buick lovers, who work on these old cars and have to fabricate parts that are no longer available, or recondition parts that other folks would discard, building a door in the side of a trailer does not seem to be a big deal. I'm just wondering if anyone had walked down this path, and would like to share their experience.

Let the games begin..............

Mike in Colorado

I have never regretted not having a side door and with the new trailer I ordered a few years ago didn’t order a side door and the old trailer didn’t have one either. I use the trailer for a few different vehicles, some large and some small and have even hauled two small ones in it so the entire side would need to be a door. I use a wireless winch to pull them in which works for me and I would think would be cheaper and safer than trying to cut a door into a trailer not factory made for it (additional framing supports, etc). <O:p></O:p>

Ron,

Thanks for the info/support. I am curious about how to winch the car in. Can you give more details ? I've also heard some folks winch them out, and that I would like to see.............. Who steers the car ?

I've heard about putting guide rails on the floor AND building "risers" out of 2x8's so the door clears the trailers wheel wells.

Adding a bunch of lumber to the trailer floor seems curious to me. Two boards would only raise the car about 3", and 3 boards would be about 4.25", so then you have the car sitting on a long set of "rails", or do people just add sections / pads for the car to set on ?

Just trying to learn here.

Mike in Colorado

I use it to winch in and out however you need to make sure the trailer has a little tilt back on it for going out. Sometimes a little push is needed going out but once it gets starts rolling all is well. I generally just walk beside the vehicle and steer it if necessary but if the winch is located in the middle of the trailer it typically pulls straight in. Either a wireless remote (preferred) or the cord control (usually long enough) works fine.

Hi Guys,

Started looking at trailers in the Denver area, and boy are they expensive (24' car hauler).

I saw one with a 48" side door, and an idea popped into the old noggin....

If you turned the door sideways, you could install it on the drivers side and hang it from the top rail and have a 4 x 6 something escape door.

Seems simple to zip out the opening above the wheel well and the door comes with the frame, latch, and all.

Saw this on Marty's trailer, and it looked cool......

Question is............ has enyone done this to an existing trailer ?

Mike in Colorado