Pictures from a local show in San Jose, CA

1935Packard

Some interesting cars at the annual cars in the park show in San Jose.  Up to ‘49 permitted this year.   A few favorites:

IMG_9596.jpeg.780c579cd5b8b05a3dbb965e2e7e484a.jpeg
Detroit Electric.

IMG_9589.jpeg.8e6c0a9572a9c0de882be491256e44ec.jpeg

Stutz Bearcat, although I don’t know its provenance.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

IMG_9581.jpeg.c54a856705dba3760e30a41de138dff8.jpeg 

I’ve seen this car many times— a local collector brings it out often— but every time it’s just awesome.  For Packard guys, you can’t beat a Dietrich.

IMG_9580.jpeg.9a1410e6f8a233ffee742fc4e85953d4.jpeg

awesome Silver Arrow owned by someone familiar to readers here (although I’ll let him announce himself if he would like!)

Edited by 1935Packard (see edit history)
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 3

32 minutes ago, 1935Packard said:

IMG_9590.jpeg.9b1bedb95ae2f87258c05178e9417b9f.jpeg

here’s one you have never seen: 1899 Osen and Hunt, believed to be one of seven made.  A local brand, from San Jose.

The first time I saw that car, I was still in high school. The owner then was a member of the first local antique automobile club I ever belonged to. He was a very interesting fellow, had couple 1927 to 1931 era Packards, a high wheel IHC, and other wonderful collector cars. He eventually became extremely reclusive, only seeing a few longtime friends. The Osen and Hunt was his prized possession. When he eventually passed away, one of my longest time best friends spearheaded the campaign to have the car donated to the San Jose History Museum. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, 1935Packard said:

IMG_9590.jpeg.9b1bedb95ae2f87258c05178e9417b9f.jpeg

here’s one you have never seen: 1899 Osen and Hunt, believed to be one of seven made.  A local brand, from San Jose.

Thanks for showing us those, 1935 Packard. And for naming as well, makes it easier and more interesting to identify.

Right hand side of this pic, has a roped off area with disassembled car. That is some sort of timed event to reassemble?

How long to reassemble by how many people please?

Thanks again.

1 hour ago, kar3516 said:

@1935Packard thank you for the very nice pictures!  Can you post any additional pictures of the blue Pierce and the other Lincolns that you mentioned?

Kent

Unfortunately, that was all the pictures I had of those. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Rod P said:

Thanks for showing us those, 1935 Packard. And for naming as well, makes it easier and more interesting to identify.

Right hand side of this pic, has a roped off area with disassembled car. That is some sort of timed event to reassemble?

Thanks again.

I didn’t stay long enough for it, but I’m pretty sure it’s a model T assembly. I found this on YouTube from a prior year, same show.

• Like 3

1935Packard, Thanks for the beautiful photos and thanks particularly for taking the extra effort to identify the cars. Those of us in the middle of the country don't often have a chance to see cars of this caliber, and the younger members have never seen them. I love to see photos, but it's frustrating to see a rare car with an excellent restoration and have no idea what it is.

Don

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Rod P said:

That's the annual Model T assembly, a timed event.  15 minutes and a few seconds this year.  About 8 people (I didn't count) including three women!

I enjoyed a great conversation with @1935Packard and I'll admit to owning the 1934 Pierce-Arrow 8-cyl "production" Silver Arrow.  Of about 50 built 1934-35 (vast majority in 1934), 12 are known to survive and 3 of those are overseas.  They are on a 144" wb and could be had with/without sidemounted spares and either 385cid straight 8 (140 hp) or 462 cid V-12 (175 hp).  I've had this one 18 years and have put 17,000 miles on it.

And @neil morse and @Shootey were there, too!

Edited by Grimy
added last sentence (see edit history)
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 4

30 minutes ago, Crusty Trucker said:

Nice to see the Silicone Valley 1%-ers having fun in the park with their cars.

Must be an otherwise tough life.

if it matters, the event is hosted by the local model T club and most of the cars there are Fords, especially model A’s.  It’s not really the Silicon Valley tech bro crowd looking for angel investors on their new AI startup.  But this is a dedicated pre-war show (up to ‘49 this year) so some cool things pop up and the horseless carriage crowd shows up in good numbers.

• Like 7

IMG_9588.jpeg.1e1788a3a6dd6fe0efd3267c9ce90c55.jpeg

rear view of the Stutz Bearcat.  I have no idea if this is original/correct or if it’s a non-bearcat stutz converted to look like a bearcat. Anyone know?

• Like 4

3 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

The first time I saw that car, I was still in high school. The owner then was a member of the first local antique automobile club I ever belonged to. He was a very interesting fellow, had couple 1927 to 1931 era Packards, a high wheel IHC, and other wonderful collector cars. He eventually became extremely reclusive, only seeing a few longtime friends. The Osen and Hunt was his prized possession. When he eventually passed away, one of my longest time best friends spearheaded the campaign to have the car donated to the San Jose History Museum. 

Cool! There was a gentleman who is active in the local horseless carriage club who gave a talk about the car and showed its features. He mentioned the full history of the car, including knowing the guy who owned it before the museum adopted it. I wonder if he is your friend? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 1935Packard said:

Cool! There was a gentleman who is active in the local horseless carriage club who gave a talk about the car and showed its features. He mentioned the full history of the car, including knowing the guy who owned it before the museum adopted it. I wonder if he is your friend? 

Almost certainly! One of the finest best friends ever. Incredible painter, artist extraordinaire. Can take an average older restoration, detail it and turn it into a showpiece. He and his wife are wonderful people.

The Santa Clara Valley Model T Ford Club is a very active and incredible group. I used to be active there myself, but, sadly that was a long time ago. They put on two major events almost every year. This in conjunction with the San Jose History Museum, and one of the best model T Endurance Runs in the country that they have been doing for more than fifty years now.

Great people! And most of them are dedicated hard working otherwise ordinary people. The best kind.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, 1935Packard said:

if it matters, the event is hosted by the local model T club and most of the cars there are Fords, especially model A’s.  

Thanks for the explanation.  I was wondering

what group got together such an interesting

grouping of pre-war cars.  One forum comment

implied those cars were for the top one percent

of wealth;  but a nice Packard or Lincoln sedan

can cost less than a commonly seen Chevelle SS!

I appreciate your show report, Mr. 1935 Packard.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for sharing your photos, certainly a fascinating group of rare, interest cars.  Be grateful there are still occasional meets such as this available to you to attend.  In many areas, we rarely have such meets any more, only the typical 'cruise night' fare...

To help folks not confuse one with the other...

'10's Rambler Four.jpg

'51 Nash Rambler Airflyte Landau CO aa.jpg

Edited by 58L-Y8
Added photos for the record. (see edit history)
  • Like 5

15 hours ago, 1935Packard said:

awesome Silver Arrow owned by someone familiar to readers here

One of my favorite cars of all time, love it, and it has a great owner who I hope to meet in person some day - the man DRIVES his cars, works on them ; they are not just "garage art".

Re the 1% ers comment - some of us who own luxury cars of the era drive them, took years to find , then restore them so do not have that elite look/attitude/pose that some of you reading this think they do. The "posers" ruin it for the rest of us..............

• Like 9

14 hours ago, George Smolinski said:

The '41 Buick would look much better if it wasn't so over accessorized.

It's a style of vintage low-rider called a "bomb," which is popular here in California.  I really enjoy them, and thought this one was actually quite tasteful.  Here's a shot of my '41 (strictly factory-correct, no JC Whitney accessories) that was parked just a few spaces away.  This was my first time attending this event and I thought it was fantastic.  A great setting and a lot of wonderful cars.  And the limit to '49 and older was the icing on the cake!

SJ_meet6.jpg.0f0084fd87178fa5e32687fc35f7cdd4.jpg

Edited by neil morse (see edit history)
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Walt G said:

One of my favorite cars of all time, love it, and it has a great owner who I hope to meet in person some day - the man DRIVES his cars, works on them ; they are not just "garage art".

Re the 1% ers comment - some of us who own luxury cars of the era drive them, took years to find , then restore them so do not have that elite look/attitude/pose that some of you reading this think they do. The "posers" ruin it for the rest of us..............

case in point: that Dietrich.  Yeah, it’s a ‘34 Packard Twelve Individual Custom by Dietrich. Amazing. But it’s a driver, not a show car.  (Only Dietrich I know of that is not restored to perfection and is instead driven.)

• Like 4

Orin…….I can think of a handful of split windshield Individual Custom Dietrich’s that are drivers………we had one as a driver till we restored it for Pebble this year. Problem is even in driver condition or lots of patina they are as expensive as a high end Model J. The eights are much more reasonable as are the 12 convertible sedans (supply and demand, and the conv sedans are numerous.) the 12’s are very big boy toys.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Orin…….I can think of a handful of split windshield Individual Custom Dietrich’s that are drivers………we had one as a driver till we restored it for Pebble this year. Problem is even in driver condition or lots of patina they are as expensive as a high end Model J. The eights are much more reasonable as are the 12 convertible sedans (supply and demand, and the conv sedans are numerous.) the 12’s are very big boy toys.  

It’s really nice learning things about these high end cars. Thanks Ed

Edited by BobinVirginia (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I have seen and toured with @Grimy's Silver Arrow and it is a spectacular car in person.

It is of those cars that is far more impressive in person than it is in pictures.

• Like 4