Interesting Car - Looks like the famous round door Rolls Royce - but it isn't

Saw this recently at the collection of a recently deceased collector whose collection is now permanently closed. A recent addition with no information card. 

IMG_4042.jpeg

IMG_4040.jpeg

IMG_4039.jpeg

IMG_4041.jpeg

• Like 1

I have seen old photos of the "round door Rolls Royce" sitting in a wrecking yard many years ago. However, I gather from comments here that this is not it?

One forum discussion a few years back suggested that it had been rescued from the wrecking yard and might have been eventually restored? Anybody know for sure?

8 minutes ago, wayne sheldon said:

I have seen old photos of the "round door Rolls Royce" sitting in a wrecking yard many years ago. However, I gather from comments here that this is not it?

One forum discussion a few years back suggested that it had been rescued from the wrecking yard and might have been eventually restored? Anybody know for sure?

Didn't that photo appear on the long-running 'Period Images to Relieve Stress' thread some time ago?

Craig

2 minutes ago, 8E45E said:

Didn't that photo appear on the long-running 'Period Images to Relieve Stress' thread some time ago?

Craig

I think it may have? 

I tend to be a stickler for "pre war" photos in the "prewar" photos section? However, alternately, I always want to encourage people to post and share photos and information, so I almost never complain about technically post war photos being posted there. And I do recall somewhat recently (maybe a couple years???) seeing one of the round door Rolls Royce photos and thinking to myself "Nice photo but in the wrong area". Still not complaining about its being there, just explaining my thought process of how I remember seeing it last.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wayne sheldon said:

I think it may have? 

I tend to be a stickler for "pre war" photos in the "prewar" photos section?

I thought it would take longer to find. 🙂

Craig

I have an old postcard featuring the Round Door Rolls painted in gold. I've seen it in black, too. Silver doesn't seem to do it justice.

11 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

The subject  car of this thread is a "homage".  Definitely not the real car.  This is the picture you are referring to.

driving-mrs-dillman-the-tale-of-the-round-door-rolls-royce.webp.593ab2e311caae79d740650bdb1d5333.webp

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, alsancle said:

The subject  car of this thread is a "homage".  Definitely not the real car.

Definitely a light-hearted tribute car when one compares the two.

Maybe a little fiberglass in the bodywork, and an LS engine under the hood??

Craig

• Like 2

I guess its my lack of education and breeding but I dont find either one particularly pleasing on the eye. I can appreciate both for what they are, I just think that the original design leaves a lot to be desired.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, TAKerry said:

I guess its my lack of education and breeding but I dont find either one particularly pleasing on the eye. I can appreciate both for what they are, I just think that the original design leaves a lot to be desired.

To be truthful, I'm not a fan of the design, either, just as I am not of the first 1934 Chrysler Airflow, but both are a tribute to the Art Deco era.

Craig

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies.  If this is a Tribute effort does anyone have any idea who built it and how it got to Texas.  The deceased owners wife has no interest in cars or her husbands museum so I suspect these will find their way to auction in the next five years

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to Interesting Car - Looks like the famous round door Rolls Royce - but it isn't

The last I knew the original car was restored and in a museum in central Florida. It was on tour to various events in the 1970s. I paid 50 cents or a dollar to see the car and get a picture post card in 1972 at a Classic car show in Rochester, NY.

It was concealed in a sideshow arrangement at that time.

30 minutes ago, 60FlatTop said:

The last I knew the original car was restored and in a museum in central Florida. It was on tour to various events in the 1970s. I paid 50 cents or a dollar to see the car and get a picture post card in 1972 at a Classic car show in Rochester, NY.

That’s the gold version. It has since had a much better restoration in black

I am pleased to hear the original still survives and was eventually restored somewhat properly. While it is not a car that I would be particularly attracted to, it and literally hundreds of other unusual cars are important historic points in the landscape of automotive history. They deserve to be studied for their backgrounds and contributions to automotive development. Whenever available, they should be preserved if decent enough, restored if it is reasonable to do so, then presented and shown such that their contributions may be remembered.

• Like 2

Oddities like the round door Rolls Royce and most of the major automaker factory show cars, Stouts and Dymaxions and literally hundreds of others? Are pretty much a "love them or hate  them" thing. Far and away MOST of them are newer than the cars I really like. Therefore I neither love them or hate them. I appreciate them for what they were and are. They fascinate me, for their out-off-the-box thinking, and their vision of what could be at a time long before experience knew better. 

One of the few times I went through the old Harrah's collection in Reno, Nevada, their shop happened to be doing some serious work on one of the cars they had (I think it was the Dymaxion? Might have been a Stout?). The car was near the ropes, all opened up with parts sitting out where they could be seen. I spent half an hour standing and walking up and back along the rope, just looking at the thing! If you offered me a chance to buy one, would I want it? No. But I can sure admire it for what it was and is.

• Like 2

The wheels quickly made me think modern build on the car, followed by thoughts of  MIG and TIG, as well as superior fillers. I have seen the innards of those coach cave) built jobs. Under glued leather is wood and nails, oozing seams of lead, slotted wood screws, and other things best covered.

If the boys at Bowman & Schwartz saw the convertible conversion on my '86 Electra Park Ave they'd have a case of the blind stutters. To borrow a term from their contemporary, Woody Guthrie.

• Like 2

For some reason I am intrigued by the build history on the car I posted but have been unable to discover any leads on this car on the internet.  Any suggestions appreciated.  Thanks

Here is a 2015 shot of the design from Turkey.

If I was going to build one body I would make the design available for more builds. Might be a couple of repops out there.

image.jpeg.f358b657d893b795fd05b524813a8999.jpeg

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, 60FlatTop said:

Here is a 2015 shot of the design from Turkey.

If I was going to build one body I would make the design available for more builds. Might be a couple of repops out there.

image.jpeg.f358b657d893b795fd05b524813a8999.jpeg

Turkey seems like a nice place to visit...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 7/10/2024 at 12:39 PM, 60FlatTop said:

I can't say I ever saw that particular car at a sideshow.  The only cars I remember seeing from that era on tour were TV cars; the Batmobile, Daktari zebra-painted Land Rover, and the Imperial 'Black Beauty' seen on Man from U.N.C.L.E.

The only car considered 'vintage' at the time that made a tour from the late '60's and early '70's was the infamous bullet-ridden 1934 Ford Bonnie & Clyde death car.

Craig

Edited by 8E45E (see edit history)

20 hours ago, phil33 said:

There's a car in that picture?

My thoughts as well.

Got fixated one the headlights, then I noticed she might be carrying a 24 pack.

I guess I will let her drive me around.