Powell Pickup spotting- 2005

Fargoguy

I was just looking at some old photos and came across some shots that I took just east of Kalispell, MT in the summer of 2005. This was out front of an auto wrecker, and at the time I wasn't sure even what i was looking at. I often wonder where it went, google street view shows it isn't there now. 

012_14 (3).JPG

013_13 (3).JPG

014_12 (3).JPG

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TAKerry said:

How do you make a IH scout look attractive? Park a Powell beside it!

Sorry, I couldnt resist. I am sure that is a very rare truck but it sure is homely looking.  Any relation to Crosley?

Hey, I resent that remark!   LOL  Crosley's are cute!!!!!!

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, DFeeney said:

I have always thought  the Powell truck conversions looked like a regular Dodge that they got the front sheet metal "Red Hot" and then  drove it into a stone wall at 15 MPH. 

Reminds me of a mid-fifties International COE.

image.png.d751c097b62b7cd07e23a834f48883fc.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My great uncle Ernest (helped raise my dad during the depression) and his wife my great aunt Hally (named for her birthdate, Halloween), were real life desert rats. They lived for a couple decades on a small cattle ranch in Nevada's high desert. Lifelong rock-hounds, and bottle collectors, they wandered all over that Nevada desert. They even discovered an unknown natural fossil depository filled with many thousands of fifty million year old fish entombed in the sediment. They reported their finding to the University of Nevada, who then made quite a study of their find. After the University reopened the site to the public, aunt Hally and uncle Ernest took us all out there to hunt for fossil fish. I was probably about ten at the time. I still have a few fifty million year old goldfish.

For most of my growing up years, we would go and stay with them for a couple days, almost every year.

His pickup? A Powell, all red. I really liked that pickup. A cute little bugger, with a look all its own. In the mid 1960s, it still looked really nice. I wanted to have it when I was old enough. Then one day, they sold the ranch and almost everything on it, including the Powell.

Edited by wayne sheldon
I hate leaving typos! (see edit history)
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, dalef62 said:

Hey, I resent that remark!   LOL  Crosley's are cute!!!!!!

Actually, I wasnt referring to the looks of a crosley. I thought the person that started that was named Powell Crosley. Truck looks similar to me and I didnt know if there was a connection.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, TAKerry said:

Actually, I wasnt referring to the looks of a crosley. I thought the person that started that was named Powell Crosley. Truck looks similar to me and I didnt know if there was a connection.

No connection, Powel Crosley was from Ohio and the Powell Truck was made in CA.  The Powell truck used Plymouth running gear and trim, used of course, the roof came from another vehicle if I remember correctly and the front grille panel was produced at a boat manufacturer in CA.  I have worked on one and it is very crude workmanship.  

Edited by dalef62 (see edit history)
  • Like 3

22 hours ago, dalef62 said:

The Powell truck used Plymouth running gear and trim, used of course, the roof came from another vehicle if I remember correctly and the front grille panel was produced at a boat manufacturer in CA.  I have worked on one and it is very crude workmanship.  

The Plymouth was very first 'recycled' car that was repurposed with a pickup truck body.

LOTS of legal issues regarding safety and emissions is one were to do the same and recycle a 1980's truck chassis today with a modern cab & box today!!

Craig

• 4 weeks later...

I own 3 Powell trucks and I run the Powell Owner's Group on Facebook. We have about 127 Powell trucks & wagons listed in the Registry. I also have several videos posted on YouTube under my user name of 600miles. Powells were built in Compton CA by Hayward & Channing Powell. They first started out building cathedral style radios in the 1930s. Then in 1938 or 39 they came out with their first scooter called the Streamliner. It was a push start unit with a 2.2HP Lauson engine. In 1952 they built the prototype truck on a 1952 Chevrolet chassis. In 1954 they started production using 1941 Plymouth P11 & P12 car chassis. In late '55 they introduced trucks with fishing pole tubes and in '56 the station wagon came out. In 1957 they stopped production and continued on with a wide variety of scooters and P81 motorcycles. The ceased production around 1973 producing the Powell Challenger & Phantom 7 minibikes. I am in Southern Oregon.  https://www.facebook.com/groups/112230479214124 

Miles 

6_13_18c.jpg

Powell_Country.jpg

Edited by 600miles
poor photo quality (see edit history)
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Always liked these and would buy one if one was to come around.

There was a black wagon listed somewhere in one of my searches a couple of years ago. Couldn't do it then.

Two brothers that I used to know collected odd ball and orphan cars. they had several Powells, including one wagon,, My neighbor in Castaic Ca had three and the remains of a couple in his yard. They are probably still there. Another friend had one in Kernville Ca and it burned in a wildfire. I had a Powell scooter about 50 years ago

• Like 2

10 hours ago, 600miles said:

Jack M. That black wagon got sold and the new owner drove it cross country to get it home. The owner is in my FB group.

PMC-2869Rear60902RudyCincal.gif

PMC-2869RR60902RudyCincalaP.gif

Yep, That sure looks like the one I recall.