Photo Without Caption

Dave Mellor NJ

3 hours ago, keiser31 said:

"This job REALLY sucks."

The hose is connected to the coupe's exhaust pipe. I think they are trying to gas the rodents. It works for gophers, but some rats live in more open areas where gassing wouldn't be as effective. 

There is an estimated 7 billion [4 legged] rats in the world, so I don't think this method was very successful.

• Like 1

Look beyond the immediate subject at hand. see the building in the back ground and note the neat "bump" out in the facade above the windows and door covered in the same shingles. Pretty cool indeed - and a feature I have not seen on any "modern" buildings with that subtle affect.  All the small details in the period photos in all aspects of what is seen really are important to me and tell the broad story well beyond the focus of what may be going on.

Edited by Walt G (see edit history)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

My great uncle used a version of this to rid his cattle pasture of woodchucks.  His tired 1953 Chevy emitted a blue has haze from its exhaust.  He piped the exhasust down the woodchuck's entry hole, opened the trunk lid, had a seat and waited for the blue haze to exit the woodchuck tunnel's backdoor.  His long tom shotgun eliminated his rodent problem.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

22 hours ago, Walt G said:

Look beyond the immediate subject at hand. see the building in the back ground and note the neat "bump" out in the facade above the windows and door covered in the same shingles. Pretty cool indeed - and a feature I have not seen on any "modern" buildings with that subtle affect.  All the small details in the period photos in all aspects of what is seen really are important to me and tell the broad story well beyond the focus of what may be going on.

As I study that building, it appears to be a very low-budget housing development that used the cheapest materials and methods-of-construction available at the time.  The windows and door appear to be very low grade items, and the use of what I believe are creosote shingles for the siding, which was not uncommon at the time.  I can bet those 'bulges' above the windows and doors which I can honestly say, I don't find that attractive were a water retention measure to keep some of the rain away from the door and window openings in the structure.  It was less expensive to use cheap window and door hardware without lintels and build those bulges out of wood and cover it with those flexible creosote shingles than to use better materials and/or extra labor to construct a proper window frame wide enough that could accommodate sash balances.  One would also expect a mini-eaves on the one above the door, for example.

Craig

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 8E45E said:

As I study that building, it appears to be a very low-budget housing development that used the cheapest materials and methods-of-construction available at the time.  The windows and door appear to be very low grade items, and the use of what I believe are creosote shingles for the siding, which was not uncommon at the time.  I can bet those 'bulges' above the windows and doors which I can honestly say, I don't find that attractive were a water retention measure to keep some of the rain away from the door and window openings in the structure.  It was less expensive to use cheap window and door hardware without lintels and build those bulges out of wood and cover it with those flexible creosote shingles than to use better materials and/or extra labor to construct a proper window frame wide enough that could accommodate sash balances.  One would also expect a mini-eaves on the one above the door, for example.

Craig

Or possibly this is an older building which was shingled to cover deteriorating siding, and those bulges are covering a Victorian architectural element. 

It's interesting no matter which! 

• Like 1