For Sale:  1957 MERCURY TURNPIKE CRUISER 2dr Hardtop - $19,500 - RUSSELL, PA - Not Mine - Still Available, Price Reduced to $18,500: 3-25-2024.

For Sale: 1957 MERCURY TURNPIKE CRUISER 2dr Hardtop - $19,500 - RUSSELL, PA - Still Available, Price Reduced to $18,500: 3-25-2024. See New Link Below.

1957 mercury turnpike cruiser for sale by owner - Russell, PA - craigslist
Seller's Description:

RARE 1957 MERCURY TURNPIKE CRUISER 2 door hard top v/8 368 push button transmission power steering power brakes power back window roles up and down runs and drives has re-chromed bumpers continental kit $19,500.
Copy and paste in your email: 5709d3c1324f3e7590149a1a4d96dcca@sale.craigslist.org

I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this 1957 MERCURY TURNPIKE CRUISER 2dr Hardtop.
The Standard Catalog of American Cars, 1946-1975, Edited by John Gunnell states 7,291 1957 MERCURY TURNPIKE CRUISER 2dr Hardtops built.

'57 mercury turnpike cruiser PA a.jpg

'57 mercury turnpike cruiser PA b.jpg

'57 mercury turnpike cruiser PA c.jpg

'57 mercury turnpike cruiser PA d.jpg

'57 mercury turnpike cruiser PA e.jpg

'57 mercury turnpike cruiser PA f.jpg

'57 mercury turnpike cruiser PA g.jpg

'57 mercury turnpike cruiser PA h.jpg

'57 mercury turnpike cruiser PA i.jpg

'57 mercury turnpike cruiser PA j.jpg

'57 mercury turnpike cruiser PA k.jpg

Edited by 58L-Y8
Still Available, Price Reduced to $18,500: 3-25-2024. Crossed out the dead CL link. (see edit history)
  • Like 4

Usually when these cars turn up they are looking well used. This car has a lot going for it, two doors, beautiful color combination and although the interior may not be correct, it sure fits this car. GLWTS

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 7th Son said:

All that's missing are the five foot long "cruiser" fender skirts and, maybe, the fuzzy dice.

At the time, I really liked the look of the "Turnpike Cruiser" skirts,

and for a short time I had a set on my white 1958 Impala convertible,

and it had the "factory" Continental Kit in just the center of the rear bumper.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Marty Roth said:

At the time, I really liked the look of the "Turnpike Cruiser" skirts,

and for a short time I had a set on my white 1958 Impala convertible,

and it had the "factory" Continental Kit in just the center of the rear bumper.

Marty’s comments are spot on for reflecting the tastes of a certain era in automotive history.  I remember people swooning over the additional bling like chrome dual exhaust pipes, Continental kits, twin antennas, dual dummy spotlights and the like.  It’s like fashion, what’s in during a time period can look very strange today.  Just watch some old 1940s and 1950s movies to see that played out.  This Mercury screams 1950s to the people who grew up with that.  Today it looks out of place, like flower print shirts, bell bottom pants, and the dreadful leisure suit!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I also prefer that most '50's cars not have a continental kit, but the '57 Merc has such extreme and unique styling (almost to the point of being an acquired taste) that an outrageous bumper extending kit somehow seems a little less out of place on it. I saw a nice '57 at a car gathering a couple of weeks ago and it had a continental kit. With or without the kit, they are a sight to behold. I do like these cars. I even placed a bid on a presentable lower priced '57 Turnpike Cruiser a week ago or so. It didn't have a kit, which is still my preference.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JamesR said:

I also prefer that most '50's cars not have a continental kit, but the '57 Merc has such extreme and unique styling (almost to the point of being an acquired taste) that an outrageous bumper extending kit somehow seems a little less out of place on it. I saw a nice '57 at a car gathering a couple of weeks ago and it had a continental kit. With or without the kit, they are a sight to behold. I do like these cars. I even placed a bid on a presentable lower priced '57 Turnpike Cruiser a week ago or so. It didn't have a kit, which is still my preference.

@JamesR, I think you and others are 100% right RE: the fashion of the time and the car vis-a-vis a timeless 1949 Cadillac would look out of place with a continental kit.

This 57 Turnpike cruiser is so "out there" it is completely appropriate to have a continental kit.  Or in other words, "why stop now? If your gonna GO, GO ! 

• Like 3

On 10/10/2023 at 12:21 PM, TerryB said:

Marty’s comments are spot on for reflecting the tastes of a certain era in automotive history.  I remember people swooning over the additional bling like chrome dual exhaust pipes, Continental kits, twin antennas, dual dummy spotlights and the like.  It’s like fashion, what’s in during a time period can look very strange today.  Just watch some old 1940s and 1950s movies to see that played out.  This Mercury screams 1950s to the people who grew up with that.  Today it looks out of place, like flower print shirts, bell bottom pants, and the dreadful leisure suit!

Thanks, TerryB,

and while I don't own a flower print shirt,

somewhere in the back of a spare closet, there may still be some Bell-Bottom Pants, and maybe even a Leisure Suit 

(saved only for "Period Costume"?)

• Haha 2

On 10/10/2023 at 12:11 PM, JamesR said:

I think the styling is an acquired taste. Dripping chrome and no surface unadorned. Over the top in a similar way to stylish clothes in about 1970.  It's very striking when compared to what was happening in Europe at that time: 

c4e0f958-84ee-4ea9-9c4b-0bcb7d0d9472.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&mode=crop

• Like 5

I'm just old enough to recall these  cars when they were new (or nearly new), and I don't recall seeing continental kits like this on much of anything except '55-57 TBirds, certainly not on a car like this with a long deck. Maybe it's a regional thing (I grew up in Northern CA)? I see these and assume they were added much later, like all the driving/fog/search lights you see added to '30's cars.

• Thanks 1

For some reason upon seeing this and reading the comments all I hear in my head is Fats Domino singing "when my dreamboat comes home". Not saying this to be unkind or funny , its true. Songs "of the era" that usually are in my head are from big bands of the pre WWII era and most of those I have on 78 rpm records on my Wurlitzer juke box.

• Like 3

On 10/10/2023 at 1:07 PM, Gearheadengineer said:

I generally agree with you, but…

They look pretty good on early Lincoln Continentals. 😀

The original Continental was styled for that exposed tire and there was an indentation in the trunk area for the set up. Apples and oranges to a silly 1950s era contraption that extended OUT from the originally styled vehicle. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, B Jake Moran said:

The original Continental was styled for that exposed tire and there was an indentation in the trunk area for the set up. Apples and oranges to a silly 1950s era contraption that extended OUT from the originally styled vehicle. 

All true. My sense of humor doesn’t always translate online. 

• 58L-Y8 changed the title to For Sale:  1957 MERCURY TURNPIKE CRUISER 2dr Hardtop - $19,500 - RUSSELL, PA - Not Mine - Still Available, Price Reduced to $18,500: 3-25-2024.

Still Available, Price Reduced to $18,500: 3-25-2024.

1957 mercury turnpike cruiser for sale by owner - Russell, PA - craigslist
Copy and paste in your email: 99727940cce53c1e9c9ee0b24190c65b@sale.craigslist.org

With regard to the continental kit, it was listed as a factory-installed option for all 1957 Mercurys.  The Turnpike Cruiser convertible, with 'Convertible Cruiser' scripts on the front fenders, included the continental kit and chrome lower fender shields as part of the standard package.  The continental kits even had a great '50's name: "Dream Car Spare Tire Carrier."