1934 DeSoto Airflow Brougham RARE 1 of 4 Existing - $149,900 NOW $125,000

Looks like a very nice example. Price seems pretty unlikely to me but I'm not a fan of Airflows...as a Simca owner I am very aware that "very rare" does not equal "very valuable".

Much more text and pics in ad...(possibly a record for the longest text!) 

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/cto/d/palos-verdes-peninsula-1934-desoto/7660279282.html

This 1934 DeSoto Airflow Brougham Sedan offered for sale is one of only 4 Airflow Broughams known to exist.
This rare Brougham has benefitted from a ground up restoration. The exterior was painted two-tone medium brown and light tan using metallic finish paint, which is appropriate given that Chrysler was one of the first to introduce metallic, or as they called it, polychromatic paint, in the mid-1930s. To complete the exterior, all the chrome was redone, and the undercarriage was finished appropriately.
The interior was fitted with tan cloth and brown vinyl bolsters following the correct pattern and seams, and shows excellent workmanship.
The engine was completely rebuilt and balanced in the last two years and starts easily and runs smoothly as it should. A new aluminum head was fabricated and installed. For enhanced reliability we’ve also added an electric fuel pump, as well as a 6-bladed fan to better cool the engine.
The transmission was also serviced at the same time as the engine rebuild and shifts well, with the clutch functioning as intended.
Auto Restorer magazine did a feature on our car a few years ago. 

email: 61666f4815b1360ab764d8fc4c2cd9b5@sale.craigslist.org

00x0x_cNwzrgyRUO9_0up0t2_1200x900.jpg00E0E_9DLWaHvzKFO_0CI0p3_1200x900.jpg00i0i_67tnfv6VDWt_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg00101_7PsEJi0Bayk_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg00W0W_3JOFIMJ0iRw_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg00101_k160resrsvI_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

Edited by Leif in Calif
price change (see edit history)
  • Like 5

I’ve been looking at Airflows for several years, thinking about whether I’d own one, or not. This is an interesting one and ‘34’s have the wildest styling of the lot. From what I’ve seen, a stellar, utterly stupendous, correct in every aspect, ‘34 Imperial Airflow sedan would top out at $75K to be generous.

I don’t think this one will bring anywhere near $150K, not even if the three +Chrysler Airflow Musketeers+ were propped-up in the back seat.

Edited by AdamInNH (see edit history)
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Fossil said:

Pretty car and exceptionally clean. About the second time I cracked my tailbone on that front seat arm rest it would be history. 

I don't think you actually could rest your arm there!

It's a wonderful deco design that would be perfect in a living room but you are right, could be painful to pull yourself over. 

• Like 1

Im not insinuating that this car is not worth the asking price. I have no idea what these are worth. Just the fact that because something is rare that it does not equate to value. I have a concours winning motorcycle that is one of maybe 12 running in the world. Its value is about 1/100th of a similar year HD. Another pre war czech bike I have is the ONLY one I have ever seen, might be able to get 10k if I looked hard enough. The list goes on....

• Like 1

The car is not worth the asking price. It's a 6-cylinder Desoto, not even an 8-cylinder Chrysler. Wrong colors, vinyl interior. Nice restoration, but even Chrysler Imperial coupes rarely break the six-figure barrier. There's one for sale now for around $70K that's just about as nice.

Quality alone doesn't sell cars, nor does it add a tremendous amount of value. Nicest in the world? Meh, who cares? Rarity? Same deal. The bottom line is that the car still has to be something people want. There aren't a lot of guys with $150K to drop on a car who decide they want a 6-cylinder Desoto instead of an 8- or 12-cylinder Full Classic or a pedigreed muscle car.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, TexRiv_63 said:

What I cannot understand is anyone advertising such a nice and expensive car on CRAIGSLIST!!

Why not start there and Market Place. At that price your not going to get any replies anyway. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

The car is not worth the asking price. It's a 6-cylinder Desoto, not even an 8-cylinder Chrysler. Wrong colors, vinyl interior. Nice restoration, but even Chrysler Imperial coupes rarely break the six-figure barrier. There's one for sale now for around $70K that's just about as nice.

Quality alone doesn't sell cars, nor does it add a tremendous amount of value. Nicest in the world? Meh, who cares? Rarity? Same deal. The bottom line is that the car still has to be something people want. There aren't a lot of guys with $150K to drop on a car who decide they want a 6-cylinder Desoto instead of an 8- or 12-cylinder Full Classic or a pedigreed muscle car.

Yes my bad. I saw Brougham and that it was a 2 door and assumed it was a Chrysler or Imperial.   Being a DeSoto changes things value wise.  

11 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

The car is not worth the asking price. It's a 6-cylinder Desoto, not even an 8-cylinder Chrysler. Wrong colors, vinyl interior

Agreed. I owned that car for many years before it had a heroic restoration - looks nice now but was a VERY rough basket case when I had it.  They're dreaming in Technicolor.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Airflows were originally designed to be six cylinder automobiles. By that I mean that the suspension and weight distribution were calibrated for a lighter six cylinder engine. Even the Chrysler line was designed to use a six cylinder engine. However, corporate management  couldn't stand the idea of a prestigious marque like Chrysler using a six cylinder engine in the Imperial or even the Chrysler automobiles. So it was decided that only the DeSoto line would use the six cylinder engine. Engineering be damned, the larger cars would utilize an eight cylinder engine, the result being that the DeSoto Airflows rode and handled better than the eight cylinder models. Long story short, don't dismiss the six cylinder Airflows. They are much more roadable than the eight cylinder models. Zeke

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

12 hours ago, B Jake Moran said:

Zeke - we aren’t denigrating the DeSoto at all. We are saying it’s simply not a $150,000 car.  

I don’t think the car is worth that much either. Or, conversely, my money is worth more than the car. Zeke

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, zeke01 said:

the result being that the DeSoto Airflows rode and handled better than the eight cylinder models

I had not heard this before, how do huge Airflows like the Major Bowles car drive? 

I have driven an eight cylinder Imperial (a 35 Airflow limousine) quite extensively.  It drives like a much newer car. The car in question was a fresh restoration and was beautifully sorted. The steering was light and brakes were powerful. Honestly,  I have never driven a more competent car of the 30s. It absolutely blew the doors off my '37 Cadillac 70 Series. Just my opinion. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• Leif in Calif changed the title to 1934 DeSoto Airflow Brougham RARE 1 of 4 Existing - $149,900 NOW "Make Offer"

Here's the new ad, which sets a record for length! 

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/cto/d/palos-verdes-peninsula-rare-1934-desoto/7691200179.html

email:   11015438f43d36edac3af9d90fbca8f2@sale.craigslist.org

• Like 1

So many over priced cars for sale, especially vintage ones. Ridiculous speculation for the most part, with a large dosage of greed. All these morons who do this really irk me. "Just testing the waters" equates to "Just seeing if you're stupid enough to believe my extortion"

• Like 3

• Leif in Calif changed the title to 1934 DeSoto Airflow Brougham RARE 1 of 4 Existing - $149,900 NOW $125,000

A few months ago they reposted as "Make Offer"...obviously, that didn't get it done.   Here's the current VERY LONG ad...same pics. 

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/cto/d/palm-springs-of-desoto-airflow/7742484205.html

email: 96a3b237f8cb36cb806e760caa27fcc4@sale.craigslist.org