Looking At A '53 Chrysler Tomorrow

DrumBob

Months ago, I found a '53 Chrysler at an auto resto business here in the county. I spoke to the owner, one of the mechanics at the shop, who read off a laundry list of repairs and upgrades he's done to the car. He said he drives it almost daily. This photo was taken months ago. I'm not really familiar with these cars. Is there anything I should be aware of or look for? Of course, it's Fluid Drive, which he said takes little getting used to. 

Obviously, it needs paint. The interior is pretty decent as I remember. I'll be taking more photos tomorrow and will post them tomorrow night. 

Chrysler 1953 Sandyston.jpg

These are tanks; this is Chrysler before corners were cut. The semi-automatic is pokey off the line but once you drop into high gear you can keep up with traffic just fine. Driving it will become second nature quickly. Mechanical parts aren't that hard to find.

The 1953 Chrysler Windsor in question looks to be quite "cosmetically challenged" so one question I would have is how nice would you expect the car to look after you're finished with it? A complete paint refinishing might prove to be a project in itself but you have to realize 1951-1953 Chryslers & DeSotos have a LOT of die cast trim to deal with, especially in the front grille area & fenders. These individual pot metal pieces are for the most part unobtainium today and your only choice would be to have them repaired & rechromed which IMO would far exceed the value of the car. In comparison, the trim on the 1954 models (Chryslers anyway) is mostly stainless which would be a lot easier to source if needed and may only require some polishing to have an acceptable appearance. That's just one consideration. This Windsor would need to have a super nice interior, have all the mechanicals sorted out and purr like a kitten for me to even consider it. Again I don't know how much work you're willing to do but as with all of these early 50s Mopar six cylinder cars price & rust would be my primary concerns as there are still plenty of similar cars out there to choose from. 

• Thanks 1

Fluid Drive was Chrysler's first effort at an automatic drive. It has some characteristics of an automatic and some of a manual trans, such as the clutch pedal.

Clutch is used to shift from neutral to drive, or to reverse. Once in gear it drives like an automatic.

Warm up engine until it idles down. Shift into gear, release the clutch completely, and drive away like an automatic. When you hit 14MPH or more, lift off the gas. You should hear a soft *click-clack* from under the floor boards and you are in high. Step on the gas and go someplace.

When you come to a stop light no need to touch the clutch or do anything. It will shift down by itself. Take off when you are ready, lift off the gas etc.

There are 3 positions to the gear shift. Reverse, Low range, High range. They correspond to reverse, second, and high of a regular 3 speed. All normal driving is done in high range. Low range is for starting off on hills, or driving in deep snow, sand or mud. Each range has 2 gears, I already explained how the trans shifts in High, it does the same in Low except at 6MPH.

The fluid drive unit acts like a torque converter. Let it do its work. Do not slip the clutch as you would in a manual trans. The clutch is very small and will not take much abuse. Let it out all the way, even with the brake on, and drive like an automatic.

2 things that cross up new owners of Chrysler products, left hand threads on the left side wheel bolts, and 6 volt positive ground electrics.

Mechanically the cars are well built, durable, and long lived. Parts are available and not too expensive. Brakes work very well if set up correctly but this takes some doing. Best to get the factory repair manual and go by it.

I would check all the usual things like body rust, etc. and engine compression. These engines are foolers, will continue to run without protest in an advanced state of wear. Fortunately they are not difficult or expensive to rebuild. But if compression is good, and oil pressure is good, you should look forward to many miles of trouble free motoring.

• Like 2

"repairs and upgrades" repairs ok if they are done right, upgrades a red flag. Often guys try to change these cars to 12 volt + ground and it is a nightmare. They have a lot of electric equipment that their contemporaries do not have, like electric wipers and electric trans controls, radio etc and they are almost impossible to convert. Best leave it 6v - ground unless you are an electrical engineer.

• Like 2

That's Chrysler's most basic, lowest-priced model for 1953, the Windsor 2-door Club Coupe for 6-passengers, $2,555 of which 11,646 were built according to the Standard Catalog of American Cars, 1946-1975, edited by John Gunnell.

To give yourself a ballpark range what is a reasonable price for this Chrysler, do a search in the 'For Sale - Not Mine' Forum for both 1953 Chrysler and 1954 Chrysler which will show you all of these that have been listed for sale we've posted over the last few years.  

I looked the car over and went for a spin with the owner. He drove. The car has many new parts, including radiator, gas tank, exhaust, carburetor, brakes, tires, points, plugs, master cylinder, generator, fuel pump, etc. There's some rust on both rear fenders as shown. It has the torque converter. The radio doesn't work, but is probably as easy fix. He recommended rewiring the car, but the original wiring is OK for now. It needs carpeting, and the interior is passable, at best. The car drives pretty well on the whole. The seller drives it almost daily. Both rear fenders have rusty sections, as shown. 

Photos attached. Opinions? 

Chrysler 53 1.jpg

Chrysler 53 2.jpg

Chrysler 53 3.jpg

Chrysler 53 4.jpg

Chrysler 53 5.jpg

Chrysler 53 6.jpg

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, DrumBob said:

If you want to enjoy the car as it is, Bob, and

not improve it much, then it might be okay.

Perhaps it's a $1500 car--what do others think

of the value?

However, if you have a garage for a better car,

and your budget allows $5000 to $8000, there

will be much better choices.  Rather than putting

a lot of money into improvements--paint, chrome,

interior, etc.--try to get one with most of those

improvements already paid for.

• Like 4

John, thank you as always, for your sage advice. Let's just say the seller wants several thousand plus more than the $1500 you suggested. I was a bit shocked at his asking price, to be honest. 

I'd want to clean up the interior, fix the rusty fenders, get whitewalls and have it painted a nicer, brighter color. I'm not sure this is wise for this vehicle, from a financial standpoint. 

Edited by DrumBob (see edit history)

38 minutes ago, DrumBob said:

John, thank you as always, for your sage advice. Let's just say the seller wants several thousand plus more than the $1500 you suggested. I was a bit shocked at his asking price, to be honest. 

I'd want to clean to clean up the interior, fix the rusty fenders, get whitewalls and have it painted a nicer, brighter color. I'm not sure this is wise for this vehicle, from a financial standpoint. 

Shop for a 53, 54 New Yorker with a Hemi 331 for that kind of money. You won't regret it!

1954 Chrysler New Yorker Deluxe | 427 Garage

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, DrumBob said:

This more of what I had in mind. Thanks.

Thanks for that indication.  Now we know better

what to recommend, as far as condition goes!

Your money can go far in your chosen 1946-1954 era,

more than in some other eras.  For example, compare the

asking price of that rough example to this 1947 Chrysler

Saratoga advertised in Edmore, Michigan for $6800,

in which everything is said to work as it should:

https://centralmich.craigslist.org/cto/d/edmore-1947-chrysler-saratoga/7649961241.html

I have read Consumer Reports reviews from the early

1950's, and Chrysler products (Plymouth, Dodge, DeSoto,

Chrysler, and Chrysler Imperial) were ranked as the most

reliable cars on the market.  That fact might not be known

today even to seasoned car fans.

junk--1947 Chrysler Saratoga 1.jpg

junk--1947 Chrysler Saratoga 2.jpg

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Back in 1962 when my grandfather died, we retrieved his 1954 Chrysler Windsor  (your car's sister) from under a orange tree in

Tampa, Fla. where he had left it at his sisters house

Looked just like yours, except it started life as a light tan car and was covered in black mildew from living under the orange tree.

I spent days cleaning and polishing it before selling it.   My best memory it is finding a Craftsman rachet wrench in the frame rail

and bettering my meager tool box.  It was a 6 cylinder but I learned later that 54 was the first year for the Hemi V8.

I think you can have a lot of fun with that car.

• Like 1

I'm going to pass on that '53 Chrysler. The seller is asking way too much for it, and even though I'm sure I could chew him down a bit, I see I could get something for about the same money or less in much better shape. 

I'll be coming to Hershey in October, and I presume there will be cars for sale there. Meanwhile, I'll keep looking around here until then. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, DrumBob said:

I'm going to pass on that '53 Chrysler. The seller is asking way too much for it, and even though I'm sure I could chew him down a bit, I see I could get something for about the same money or less in much better shape. 

I'll be coming to Hershey in October, and I presume there will be cars for sale there. Meanwhile, I'll keep looking around here until then. 

There's a decent supply of 53-54 New Yorker's always available it seems. I keep an eye on that market for family reasons. Spend the money upfront on a well sorted, non rusty 331 Hemi car. Maybe not as svelte as the later Exner cars, but a very well built and engineered car capable of long runs in comfort.

• Like 3

I have had most of the 1950s Chrysler products over the years. I suggest you look at the 54 - 56s with the fully automatics these are the most for the money.

My 54 New Yorker with the 2 barrow carb and 2 speed automatic  got 22-24 MPG on the highway. This car was great for long trips.

The 55s had a big leap in the styling department and the dash board shifters are kind of neat. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, DrumBob said:

Great and solid, dependable, well-built cars - especially the 331 Hemi,

Buy if you have the extra bucks and want to get beyond the "Stodgy" APPEARANCE, LOOK AT A '56 New Yorker for the bigger Hemi,
"Forward Look", 12 volt electricals and great styling, just prior to the huge fins of the '57

Wish I could afford the '58 Imperial convertible of my dreams !

• Like 1

On 8/24/2023 at 1:54 PM, DrumBob said:

Chrysler 53 1.jpg

Chrysler 53 5.jpg

It is a nice, plain, low-option Chrysler.   Its worth considering.

Not common as most Chryslers were loaded up with more options and accessories, than Dodges and Plymouths were.

Craig