Would you do what I just did?

Rata Road

Yes I have done similar. I also do it with information, that is what makes this forum great - shared knowledge. Some "clubs" are reluctant to pass on info if you are not a financial member for some reason.

There is stuff in my shed that someone needs to get or keep a car going and if its surplus to my needs its theirs. Some of this has cost me good money and I have covered many miles to get. My exception is on things I have restored to "as new" condition then I will charge a reasonable amount (mainly cost and no labor).

I have had only one issue and that was an entire engine that needed to be sent to Scotland from Australia. I offered it at no cost to the guy and had it all packed up and freight organized at a very good rate (my brother in-law works in international freight). Motor was free and a "runner", but the guy refused to pay the freight, so it never left. I believe that car is still languishing for want of a motor and he is trying to sell it.

• Like 5

I have done similar and have also reaped the rewards of this 'paying forward in short order... 

it's not always about money...

friendships and knowledge gained just interacting with people through the forums has more value to me than the $$$

• Like 7

I have helped many club members and non , some times those non become members . I like working on older cars but helping get those cars on the road

A good story about a good guy, here Is another:    

On all my Great American Races I would self address stamped envelopes to me and write on the back in a red flare  HELP, PLEASE SEND ME A COPY OF THAT PICTURE YOU JUST TOO OF  CAR # 37.    Inside with our  Press Release/Story, Race information, Stickers & Sponsor coupons, I explained this way I'll have a picture for our Scapbook when we qet home.   I do have a lot of great Scapbooks too!

One year we were driving along on the Green River in front of the Palisades in Wyoming.   When we got home there

was a 16 X 20" printed on canvas,  with note,  "As Requested".   

People are great, Pay It Forward.

Edited by Paul Dobbin
re-position text (see edit history)
  • Like 4

As you were telling this story, I thought it was going to end like this.  After I got the rim all wrapped up and ready for shipping, the guy in Europe said Never mind, I found one.  

6 hours ago, marcapra said:

As you were telling this story, I thought it was going to end like this.  After I got the rim all wrapped up and ready for shipping, the guy in Europe said Never mind, I found one.  

Sometimes no good deed goes unpunished.

• Like 3