For Sale: 1949 Oldsmobile Futuramic 88 Station Wagon - "In garage undriven since 1968" - Ambitious project - Burlington, VT - Not Mine - 8/13 Reduced - 8/25 SOLD!

For sale on Craigslist: 1949 Oldsmobile Futuramic 88 Deluxe 4-door Station Wagon in Burlington, VT  -  $15,000  -  No phone # provided. Reply to Seller through Craigslist email to:  761768e3b2fc31d79f642c0cee04af75@sale.craigslist.org

On 8/13, Seller reduced price to $10,000

Link: https://vermont.craigslist.org/cto/d/burlington-1949-oldsmobile/7651054580.html

Seller's Description:

1949 Oldsmobile Futuramic 88 Deluxe 4-door Station Wagon

• condition: fair
  • cylinders: 8 cylinders
  • transmission: automatic
  • odometer: 16,000
  • paint color: green
  • title status: clean

1949 Oldsmobile Station Wagon, woodie, Rocket 88
Purchased used by father in 1953 as family was growing. Has been in garage undriven since 1968. Classic wagon for restoration, will need some wood work.

image.png.6d666a9db7cfa2f2b83e549cad60f038.png

image.png.0d43e683952787d7eeb335f763aef3ec.png

image.png.8b8b13a0bfd0974f33540998593ff067.png

image.png.888456f9c0ee206005965680af1aeafa.png

image.png.132341ba61ffad0ed7bcc932e0cd17b5.png

image.png.a260414ce5348b2b8fcd9f9aabc16dce.png

image.png.810c384d6351d05787c8d8c535973721.png

image.png.26b8120e3c8134deb8f180162416893f.png

image.png.324a60aa888f63ca6d7e844e41a135a8.png

Edited by 6T-FinSeeker
update status (see edit history)
  • Like 2

• 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1949 Oldsmobile Futuramic 88 Station Wagon - "In garage undriven since 1968" - Ambitious project - Burlington, VT - Not Mine

Scanty information. Does it run and drive? Are the brakes any good? What does it need?

I guess we have to assume it needs everything. 

I would just sand the wood down and smooth it out, and wouldn't replace any of it unless it was rotten. 

• Like 1

I'm not a wood worker so what I'm seeing would scare me to death. For those with the talents necessary this might look like a golden opportunity. The asking price makes me cringe but I'm running away as it is. 

• Like 2

$15k might not be too far of the mark even for a wagon in this condition.

J.D. Power Logo

1949 Oldsmobile Futuramic 884 Door Station Wagon Values

Pricing & Values

Prices shown are the prices you can expect to pay for a 1949 Oldsmobile Futuramic 88 4 Door Station Wagon across different levels of condition. 

Base Price$3,120
Options$0
Original MSRP $3,120

Base Price$132,900
Options$0
Low Retail $132,900

Base Price$257,800
Options$0
Average Retail $257,800

Base Price$390,500
Options$0
High Retail $390,500
(as of 08/03/2023)
  • Like 3

If it is a complete car with all the odd ball trim intact it would be a good find for someone looking to rebuild this particular model. Guessing was short run in it's day.  How was this wood attached to the body of these cars?  Wood looks like the varnish peeled off so might just need reworked. The older the wood the better it is to work with and more stable.  Whenever I am doing projects for people like doors, new trim, ect I go to lumber and home salvage yards.  I would rather buy a 150 year old door and dismantle it prior to refinishing then buy a new door. Some of the lumber in those old doors was 400+ years old when they cut it down to start with going by grain patterns.

• Like 3

This 1949 Oldsmobile is a genuine rarity, the caption on this model in the book: The Cars of Oldsmobile by Dennis Casteele, page 211:

"The lowest production model of the entire 1949 line was the 88-station wagon, model number 49-3561-D.  This was Oldsmobile's highest priced car tagged at $3,120, which even placed it above the top-of-the-line 98s.  Only 1,355 total of this model were built, divided between the early production wood bodied version and the mid-year introduced all-steel variety.  Shown here is the wood bodied model (images from the sales brochure) - the last true "woodie" that Oldsmobile would produce".

Given that no more than approximately 675 wood bodied 1949 Oldsmobile 88 station wagons were possibly built and the generally poor survival rate of wood bodied station wagons in general, this is a rare opportunity to acquire a survivor. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

IMO a 1949 Olds 88 club coupe or 2-door sedanet or a similar 1950 (which was also the first year for 2-door hardtop models) would be a more worthwhile project than a 4-door station wagon that might need a lot of expensive wood repair. I would assume this wagon is a dead non-runner that will need everything. It doesn't say if the 116K mile engine turns and I'm sure those old Hydramatic transmissions don't like to sit dormant for 55 years without shifting. I think the $15K asking price is too high and the JD Power numbers are just ridiculous. This 1950 Olds 88 woody wagon hotrod that's pictured didn't generate any interest on Ebay two weeks ago.........

IMG_1563.JPG

In Oldsworld, these woodies outrank almost everything but a Fiesta and do not go cheap unless they're really bad or incomplete.

Or flamed, lowered, subframed and with a modern drivetrain:P. That dealer/broker isn't the most reputable I know of anyway. They tack add-on fees on everything on top of their sales commissions, which I believe are in the 30% range.

This one might need it all but it looks like a good start on a desirable and rare Oldsmobile for someone with the resources to tackle it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 years ago; before I acquired my Buick' I might have gone to take a look at this and possibly bought it. After restoring my Buick, that was in better condition than this car, I am older, wiser and poorer. I can visualize this car completed and it will be amazing, but it will take deep pockets. As a side note before I moved to North Carolina I was a member of the Los Angeles chapter of the BCA and one of our members had a '53 Buick woody. The wood was in bad shape and it needed paint and interior, but he drove it everywhere. It was a very cool car. The Olds is very cool also. 

• Like 2

There's a 53 Buick woodie between Richmond and Fredericksburg VA. Owned by a true ambassador for AACA and old cars in general, and someone I have tried to emulate in my old car doings.

After the local AACA group snubbed me and my newly acquired unrestored original 1964 Olds Starfire, I took the car to Richmond Region's annual show and met the fellow with the 1953 Buick woodie. He made me realize that AACA was a worthwhile group to join and I have never forgotten his kindness to a young (27 then) hobbyist.

The locals who snubbed me are all dead or senile now, and later on I realized the majority of "car people" in this area were bonafide, certified, grade A prime jerks. 

So you can lay the blame for me being here on a 53 Buick woodie wagon and its personable owner!:D

• Like 5

Those people are everywhere. They have a saturday cars and coffee thing here in my little town but don't show up with anything but a hot rod. They will actually ask you to move down to the end of the parking area. Of course I won't. When I feel like being a prick I get there really early and park in the prime spot they have "reserved" for themselves week after week and bring one of the original paint 50's mopars with me.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

The J.D. Powers estimate is just out of the ballpark and it's so outrageous.  I had a car that was rare, it was a C-bodied Pontiac Torpedo coupe.  To put it in context the car was basically a Buick Super with a Pontiac motor.  Everyone here saw it because I used to used a picture of it as my icon on the right of screen.  I have come to realize the rare means no one knows about car and parts can be extremely hard to find. Because no one knew about the car I did not get a lot of money for it.  Then for instance there is the tri five Chevrolet Bel Air where there are parts available and the car is iconic, sought after and there's always big money chasing them.  Now that said, is this Olds really sought after or is it rare and an expensive pain in the arse to restore?  I agree with 55ER that Olds is a heck of a lot of work on top of the wood being replaced or refinished.  I do agree it would a cool car once restored but at what price and what time factor?  Oh and once restored you probably won't get your money out of it.  So it becomes a labor of love; if you love it buy it!

• Like 4

21 hours ago, The 55er said:

IMO a 1949 Olds 88 club coupe or 2-door sedanet or a similar 1950 (which was also the first year for 2-door hardtop models) would be a more worthwhile project than a 4-door station wagon that might need a lot of expensive wood repair. I would assume this wagon is a dead non-runner that will need everything. It doesn't say if the 116K mile engine turns and I'm sure those old Hydramatic transmissions don't like to sit dormant for 55 years without shifting. I think the $15K asking price is too high and the JD Power numbers are just ridiculous. This 1950 Olds 88 woody wagon hotrod that's pictured didn't generate any interest on Ebay two weeks ago.........

IMG_1563.JPG

This 1950 Olds 88 woody wagon hotrod that's pictured didn't generate any interest on Ebay two weeks ago........

IMO this car is something that a prior owner went far out of his way to "make it his own" Sooner or later all cars will find a new owner and the more that you deviate from what the car once was (originality), the more likely that you will fail to get anything near the money that you spent "making it your own"

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, kingrudy said:

This 1950 Olds 88 woody wagon hotrod that's pictured didn't generate any interest on Ebay two weeks ago........

IMO this car is something that a prior owner went far out of his way to "make it his own" Sooner or later all cars will find a new owner and the more that you deviate from what the car once was (originality), the more likely that you will fail to get anything near the money that you spent "making it your own"

Plus, it's a "TIN WOODY" - not even real wood

• Like 1

• 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1949 Oldsmobile Futuramic 88 Station Wagon - "In garage undriven since 1968" - Ambitious project - Burlington, VT - Not Mine - 8/13 Reduced

Seems like a realistic seller making a significant price adjustment. 

Some positives here are that the car appears 100% complete, untouched by anyone who might do more harm than good, and if (big if) it is as solid as it looks it could be a good start.  Will need either an old school restorer, an Olds or GM person willing to soend $$ for that particular car, or a hot rodder.  Not a car one can wake up and use, from looks, sounds of it.  Still, wood on these I believe is cosmetic, so maybe not as bad as a few years earlier, would sure be cool restored. 

Alternatively would be attractive seasonal yard art for one of VTs famous inns - woukd hate to see it winter outside though...

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 8/5/2023 at 11:32 PM, Joe Cocuzza said:

If I didn't have my 49 Plymouth Woody (project) I would buy this one in a heartbeat.

If it wasn't 5 1/2 hours from me I would have already went and looked it over.

Now this is really starting to get to me

BUT I DON'T NEED ANOTHER PROJECT !!!!!!

Or do I ???????😏😏😏

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Joe Cocuzza said:

Now this is really starting to get to me

BUT I DON'T NEED ANOTHER PROJECT !!!!!!

Or do I ???????😏😏😏

Sure you do...

All it's going to take is a little of this, some of that, and a lot of the other!

You only pass through here once; might as well enjoy it while you can. You can't take it with you.

image.jpeg.b96dc576db51e5d8a97ca38456314ea8.jpeg

image.jpeg.e743e327bcb4734da7adc060478a3722.jpeg

image.jpeg.935ceb8bafd0b95ea47613e29050e8ec.jpeg

Money Pile Bundles Of 100 Usd Notes Stock Photo - Download Image Now - US Paper  Currency, Currency, Stack - iStock

Edited by Crusty Trucker (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

"All it's going to take is a little of this, some of that, and a lot of the other!"

If you mean:

"A little time and a little space and a lot of money"....

Yea, I fall short in ALL 3 categories

That's what's keeping me in check with this one

But you never know.....

• Haha 1

• 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1949 Oldsmobile Futuramic 88 Station Wagon - "In garage undriven since 1968" - Ambitious project - Burlington, VT - Not Mine - 8/13 Reduced - 8/25 SOLD!

On 8/25, Member "apumaeye" posted:

"Hello @dcaddick  I just bought my 1949 88 Woodie Wagon.  I'm looking forward to discussing with you while O go thru the restoration process.  I'm new to the forum and not sure what I need to do to be approved to send you messages.  I will need new B pillars, and I think some window frame pieces, but most of the wood looks salvageable.  I hope to have the car early next week."

Link: https://forums.aaca.org/topic/358146-1949-oldsmobile-88-station-wagon-woodie/page/2/#comment-2573957

Edited by 6T-FinSeeker (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Rats!!!!!! and congrats, I guess😢😢😢......

I knew someone was going to get this one before I could.

If I had the room for it I would have bought it.

Anyway, any questions just ask.

BTW, keep soaking the engine cylinders with penetrant(s) and you'll most likely be able to free it up.

However, DO NOT DROP A BATTERY IN IT AND TRY TO CRANK IT OVER BEFORE SOAKING THE CYLINDERS (AT A MINIMUM).

That can cause many, many problems. Try to turn it manually first. (socket on the crankshaft end nut, by prying the flywheel, etc)

Just don't rush things. Be patient or you'll cause more harm than good.

Also, you might want to remove the valve covers and soak the valve train.

Dropping the oil pan and cleaning it out is a must for a car that has sat.

If you need gaskets Olsen's is the place

Edited by Joe Cocuzza
spelling (see edit history)
  • Like 3

22 hours ago, apumaeye said:

Thanks.  Trying to free the motor still, but I'm a happy camper.  It's the coolest car in my mind, and thankful to have it.

Hi Happy Camper, congratulations on a great find!

Please consider creating a seperate blog for this restoration or refurbishing either under the Oldsmobile forum or Our Cars and Restoration Projects.

I like many would be keen to see the progress of this wagon. And please supply lots of pictures.

Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/29/2023 at 8:40 PM, apumaeye said:

Thanks.  Trying to free the motor still, but I'm a happy camper.  It's the coolest car in my mind, and thankful to have it.

Make friends with the folks at www.fusick.com . Mike Fusick himself restored one of these many years ago and he'd be an invaluable resource and advisor.

• Thanks 1

A fellow in Indiana just rescued this. Not sure how much from a Series 76 Club Coupe crosses over to an 88 wagon but may have parts you can use.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums/vintage-oldsmobiles-63/49-50-olds-what-174427/

Eric is a good guy. He specializes in Jetfires (another Oldsmobile oddity). He's on AACA Forums once in a while.

• Like 1