What is this Car?

TAKerry

1 minute ago, West Peterson said:

It looks to be possibly a very very rare Century convertible sedan, that has been highly modified.

I disagree, I say it’s been ruined

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Thanks,  I knew that wouldnt take long, LOL.

What I found odd about this one is there were a couple of rear end shots. It did not look like there were any lines on the trunk, i.e. nothing to open from the outside. Is this normal?

The wide tires and aftermarket wheels, as well as bucket seats in the rear, are the obvious takeaway.

A fellow in (I think) Virginia was buying up Buicks, mostly 1934-1939 as I recall, and did modifications involving later Buick driveline, suspension, brakes, etc.

I recall the note that he was keeping them all-Buick instead of using Chevy engines.

This stuck in my mind because back around the mid-1990s when I was looking for a 1934-1935 60 or 90 Series Convertible Sedan, he was buying them up quickly and at higher prices, and then he seemed to shift to the 1937, 1938 models.

I never got my 1934/1935 open model, but was lucky to be close with the late Dr. (and Mrs.) Mike Werckle of Rockford, IL. Mike was past-President of VMCCA, a physician specializing in geriatric patients, and a long-time friend. He helped me buy my unrestored 1937 Roadmaster Phaeton 80C (Convertible Sedan), initially bought by the CIty of New York as a Parade Car for Mayor Fiorello, LaGuardia, later in a museum, then a private collection, and never in private hands until coming to us in 2009 with just over 7,000 (mostly parade) miles showing. We still enjoy touring this Buick, now with nearly 15,xxx miles.

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)
  • Like 7

4 hours ago, alsancle said:

I was gonna laugh at the wheels and then remembered I live in a glass house.

IMG_2358.jpeg

Ed let you put those wheels on that car?

I'm guessing he hasn't touched it since.

1 hour ago, zepher said:

Ed let you put those wheels on that car?

I'm guessing he hasn't touched it since.

They were installed before I was born........that's a family car since the 50's. 

• Like 2

Wheels and seats aside { a big eugh in my books ! } it looks like a reasonably decent car.  I know Ed has very high standards, but some of us must accept compromises if it helps affordability. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JBP said:

Not that badging means much of anything on a car that's been heavily modified, but the script on the hood operators seems (to my low-res eye) to look more like "Roadmaster" than "Century."

Hard to see, but I think I agree. Still... a very rare car. Maybe a handful????

• Like 1

Any comment on if this car had an opening trunk? There is a picture of the back and everything is smoothed over. After reading about the customization I am wondering? 

Was there a Pontiac and Cadillac somewhat version of this car? I saw something similar at show a couple of years ago, of course it may have been an Olds???

2 hours ago, edinmass said:

They were installed before I was born........that's a family car since the 50's. 

Ed is correct.  Those wheels have been on the car for over 60 years.  I still don't like them but  maybe blackwalls will tone things down.

IMG_0613.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, TAKerry said:

Any comment on if this car had an opening trunk? There is a picture of the back and everything is smoothed over. After reading about the customization I am wondering? …

This one has a regular opening trunk:

https://www.motorcarcompany.com/1938-buick-roadmaster-4dr-phaeton-convertible--model-80-c--for-sale-at-motor-car-company-in-san-diego-california-.html

IMG_0167.jpeg

Edited by classic_cruiser
Added photo (see edit history)
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, classic_cruiser said:

OK, if you guys thought the mod's from the front were bad I will try to post a pic of the rear. It looks nothing like the above pic.There is a bustle back that looks odd to me.

Modified or not, it's still an awesome looking Buick.   I don't like the hump trunk either, but there must have been a reason it was done.    Someone worked really hard making it into a presentable antique parade car.   Probably spent

a small fortune doing it too.  Ended up with the most popular parade car in his town.   Then along come the armchair

experts and tell him he ruined it.   I doubt he would be excited about joining this club.

Edited by Paul Dobbin
In defense of personal taste. (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Sometimes you just have to define ruined. Many a "restorer" has sold a car like this to "some Hot Rodder" and a few years later called it ruined.

"Wasn't good enough to restore."

014.JPG.fc2f8decf3a83a9fc7d9868e7ec2db69.JPG

016.JPG.13be496fbb6ff998eba76a8b83191136.JPG

017.JPG.8c2fef092f1a8b1c639d09bce25951e9.JPG

I missed buying that. And that is a funny story in itself.

• Like 1