In Memory of Our Friends Now Departed but Not Forgotten

MrEarl

I only had the opportunity to meet Brad Conley once at a national in upstate NY.

as with any GS fan/collector i was in total awe of his ProtoX, i approached him and asked if i could shoot all around pics of the X which he allowed me to do, while i was doing it i asked if i could open the door for some interior pics, he said sure you can sit in it if you want. I could not bring myself to sit in this car it was way to special of an automobile. after the pictures we had a wonderful conversation about the car, just one of the car owners you meet who was so pleasant and made you feel like you had known each other for years. I know that this is a huge loss for the GS and GN community, everyone i spoke to that knew him or met him spoke very highly of him and what a great guy he was. My sympathies go out to his family and close friends may God hold your hands as you go through this difficult time.

Marty    

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• MrEarl changed the title to In Memory of Our Friends Now Departed but Not Forgotten

I've just been informed that Bob Fritz, BCA #6774 of Nashville, Tennessee, died last night. He was a good guy, always ready to help with national meet judging, and he owned some nice Buicks including a 1941 Limited and a '53 Skylark. He had a stroke a year or so ago and was not in good health. A good friend--sorry to hear that he is gone.

Pete Phillips

• Thanks 3

8 minutes ago, Pete Phillips said:

I've just been informed that Bob Fritz, BCA #6774 of Nashville, Tennessee, died last night. He was a good guy, always ready to help with national meet judging, and he owned some nice Buicks including a 1941 Limited and a '53 Skylark. He had a stroke a year or so ago and was not in good health. A good friend--sorry to hear that he is gone.

Pete Phillips

That's a shame, Bob was a great man. Always enjoyed visiting with him at the meets. Thanks for letting us know Pete.

• Like 1

I met Bob, doing some judging at a National Meet, I beieve first was Buffalo.  He was always most helpful in coaching beginners.  Most hepful insteering my restoration of my "32.  Rest in Peace, Bob.

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

I've just been informed that Dick Gludt of Troy, Idaho died last week at the age of 89. He and his family drove their 1914 (?) Buick over 100 miles to the Spokane national meet last summer, and they received Nicola Bulgari's Spirit of Buick Award, which I thought was so very fitting and appropriate. The whole family was there for the presentation. Dick bought the car in 1960, and has refused to trailer it anywhere, driving it to every destination. If you read the attached obituary, the '14 is going to carry Dick's ashes from the funeral service to the cemetery on May 4th. I can't think of a nicer, more appropriate tribute and a way to go out.

https://dnews.com/obituaries/richard-dick-gludt/article_96197386-5ea2-5ced-a4c3-a763fbbbc930.html

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Dave Powers, BCA 4088, of San Juan Capistrano passed last month as well. Dave and I have been friends for quite some time as he owned a 38-80C (from the Pillsbury Estate), but his true Buick love was 1937 80Cs as he owned several over the years. He also had a modified '41, a '54 Skylarks and several non Buicks. He frequently attended the BCA National meets.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Dale Smith (smithbrother) who frequented this forum a few years ago passed away in early March. Some may remember his remarkable wooden artwork of Buicks and General Motors figures. I was always in such awe at all the amazing wood pieces he created and some from just everyday lumber and even scrap, SO intricately detailed. He was his art, through and through.  What amazing pieces he left behind.

image.png.4f140b18635e4c8f48edb2473cb859a7.png

Dale spoke many times of his dads Buick dealership and of the new showroom Skylark he took for a ride

Dad was a Buick dealer in Bloomington,IL. I was in HS. dad allowed me to come to the dealership during our hour long lunch break. This allowed me to take the car back to school and show some friends. I had less than an hour......

I arrived at the school, picked up best friend, he advised me that another friend was behind us on the sidewalk, so I started backing up,,,,,,,I didn't know he had opened the passengers door, a bread truck was at the curb, with the door open it struck the front bumper, folded the door, broke the cast hinges, and the door feel to the ground.

I felt like my world was ending, got out, put the door in the trunk, and headed back to the dealership. Needless to say my friends didn't want to be anywhere near when dad saw the missing door.

Dad was sitting on his desk in the showroom, he saw the door missing, he came out in a hurry, I was 17, I was crying, dad said, "DALE, CALM DOWN, JUST DON'T TELL YOUR MOTHER". He knew I was upset, and he felt bad too, but knew no one was hurt.

He called Buick, they air shipped a new door that afternoon to Chicago, the body shop foreman drove the 130 miles north to pick it up. The body shop crew worked into the night and repaired the car, MOTHER NEVER KNEW.

We have no clue as to where the car is, or if it is a survivor.

That's the story, and I'm sticking to it.

Dale in Indy

Dale was a fellow fittyfo owner and we kidded a lot about his custom scalloped '54 Century he and his wife got married in.

here are some of his masterpieces

image.jpeg.b0f200b435d326df60c9bf6d5457085f.jpeg

image.jpeg.85cfa6cf7ccb031aa51ccf36bb816b42.jpeg

image.jpeg.3811dfc15d4438e7117aa26c6ba8e670.jpeg

He also left behind his custom '41 Limited

image.jpeg.9ca6f4e465bc8d1cc8931ccafe04af6c.jpeg

and after

image.jpeg.9363ce20368be2af2e0b44326ac4c78e.jpeg

Dale and I had fun emailing each other up until his passing. What a wonderful person.   I will miss Dale

• Like 2
  • Thanks 6

Dale was a superb craftsman and had his own idea of what some vehicles should look like.  

I may have more photos of models he made somewhere in my photo file. 

The first picture above was sometime around 2016 when we met in Frankfort Ind for lunch and tour the 

funeral home (behind him) collection of cars.   My wife and I grew up in Frankfort and we were there on 

vacation and Dale and his wife drove up from their home on the East side of Indianapolis.  

So sad to hear we lost another Buick friend. 

• 3 weeks later...

I just learned that Lewis Jenkins' son, Hill Jenkins, died last week at the age of 67 in N. Carolina. He apparently fell on the way to his car, hit his head, cracked his skull, and was brain dead by the time they reached the hospital in Winston-Salem. I just spoke to one of the employees of Jenkins Interiors, Clay Minton, who says he is going to continue Jenkins Interiors' business of trunk interiors and convertible tops for Buicks and Cadillacs of the 1940s and 1950s. Mr. Minton's phone # is 336-927-7911 in case you were trying to contact Jenkins Interiors last week, as I was.

Pete Phillips

• Thanks 6

Not a poster here but Reatta/Buick people will know my wife Nancy.  She passed on May 1 after three years 

in assisted living.  She was diagnosed with Parkinson's in 2000 but was not greatly affected by it.  About 5 years ago she 

was having memory issues and it got to the point I could not leave her alone.   Nancy was the Reatta newsletter editor for several years and administered the judges points awards from about 2012 to 2018,  she also worked in judging admin.  for several meets. 

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Barney Eaton said:

Not a poster here but Reatta/Buick people will know my wife Nancy.  She passed on May 1 after three years 

in assisted living. 

So sorry for your loss. When I came to the Reatta forum in 2007 I didn't know anyone here. Nancy was the first person to contact me personally. She called and asked if I would be interested in being the webmaster for the Reatta Division's website. I was honored that she asked and I will never forget her phone call. She seemed like a very nice person who truly cared about the Reatta club.

• Like 2

I am very sorry for you and your family's loss Barney.  It is a very difficult period in life. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help you get through it.

• Like 2

While it would be easy to also mention my condolences I must add as others have that I was fortunate to have met her at 2 meets.  Maybe 3.  Very good ambassador for the Reatta.  Very nice lady- I purchased a Reatta club long sleeve shirt from her at Iowa 2010. 

On behalf of myself and the North Texas Chapter, our deepest condolences to Barney and his and Nancy's family.  Nancy was a great lady and deeply involved with the Reatta group over the years.  May she Rest In Peace.

Willis Bell  20811

Chapter Director, North TX Chapter, BCA

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Guy Bennett, Jr. passed away on Sunday, June 23. Obituary here:

Guy Bowles Bennett Jr., 94 years of age, passed away Sunday June 23, 2024 at his home on Granger Rd, Wayland.

Guy was born July 20, 1929 in Wayland at his childhood home on Lincoln St. He was the son of Guy B. Sr. and Mildred (Sisson) Bennett. He grew up in Wayland and was a lifetime resident of Wayland, albeit for a few short stints in Cincinnati, Binghamton and Schenectady. He was a graduate of Wayland Central School in 1947 and was a 1951 graduate of the University of Rochester with a degree in Mechanical Engineering. Guy and Anita Brooks were married February 3, 1951, in South New Berlin, NY and together celebrated over 71 years of marriage prior to Anita passing away April 14, 2022. Together Guy Jr. and Anita raised three children, Guy Brooks, Joanne and James.

Guy worked at General Electric as an engineer for 2 years and then decided to come back to the family business, Bennett Brothers Buick in 1953. At that time, he began selling Buicks and Chevys. Later he became owner and operator of Guy Bennett’s Buick Corporation until December 31, 2019.

His hobbies were many but mostly involved with Buick Cars. He was a member of the Finger Lakes Chapter of the Buick Club of America. He was very proud of their chapter being chosen to host a national meet in 1989. Guy was also a member of the Chemung Valley Car Club, the Genesee Valley Antique Car Club, Antique Automobile Club of America, National Soaring Museum, and the Wine Country Classic Boats Club. He was instrumental in developing the current national judging format for Buicks – the 400-point judging plan that is still in use today. Guy was a past president of the Wayland Rotary Club; he was active with the Wayland Historical Society, and he also enjoyed watching the birds out his back window at home. Guy was an avid collector of pedal cars, Buick cars, model cars, local history, and cameras. He was a proud member of the Wayland Methodist Church for several years and most recently a member of the Springwater Church of the Nazarene. When he wasn’t collecting or restoring classic cars, he was taking pictures and always had his camera in hand or nearby. Guy was the author of a book “I Never Met A Buick I Didn’t Like.”

Guy was predeceased by his parents, Guy Sr. and Mildred Bennett, his sister Marion Johnson and his wife, Anita Bennett. He is survived by his children, Guy Brooks (Heidi) Bennett of Wayland, Joanne Bennett of Wayland and James (Barb) Bennett of Wayland; his grandchildren, Kristin (Walter) Conway of CO, Brooke (John) Balbuena of CO, Samantha Bennett of Wayland, Zachary Bennett of Wayland, Ryan Bennett (Katrina Siegfried) of CO and Elyse Bennett of Wayland, ; his step-grandchildren, Cindy (Brian) Sick, Erika (Andrew) Thornton and Samantha (Kyle) Mott; 9 step great-grandchildren; his brother in law Carl Johnson of Carlisle ,PA; his cousin Lyle Sisson Jr. of CA; his sisters-in-law Esther “Kay” Thomsen of South New Berlin, NY, Barbara Brooks of South New Berlin, NY, Lois Brooks Brownell Vagneur of Delta ,CO, Sandra Brooks of Unadilla, NY. Along with several other nieces and nephews.

Guy’s family and friends may call Friday June 28, 2024, from 4-7pm at St. George-Forsythe Funeral Home, 109 West Naples St., Wayland. Guy’s funeral service will be Saturday June 29, 2024, at 10am at the Springwater Church of the Nazarene. Committal prayers and interment will take place immediately following at Wayland Village Cemetery.

Contributions in memory of Guy B. Bennett Jr. may be made to the Guy B. Bennett Memorial Science Award, c/o Wayland-Cohocton Central School, 2350 Rte. 63, Wayland, NY 14572 or to the Wayland Historical Society, P.O. Box 494., Wayland, NY 14572 or to the Springwater Wayland EMS, 7 South Lackawanna St., Wayland, NY 14572

• Thanks 1

Guy Bennett was a fablous person. He woukd make you feel like you knew him forever!  A humble man who was very generous with his time, knowledge, and friendship.  This is a loss for many, not just the Buick family.  Rest in peace Guy. You will be missed!

• Like 1