1935 Chrysler C2 Imperial Coupe

1935 Chrysler C2 Imperial Coupe... Full CCCA Classic, one of 200 built. Came out of an estate where it was in storage for quite a few years. A restoration was started but never completed. The car was started and running last year. Most of the chrome and stainless have been redone, including the inside seat frames, and it appears the seats and door panels were also restored. The headliner is original and needs to be replaced. The Imperial has a factory radio. I have all the parts that you don't see in the pictures as they were off the car when I bought it. Some of the chrome was still in wrappers. The body and fenders are real straight but there are rust issues underneath the body behind the runningboards which seem to be typical on 35's. You could put the parts back on, get the car running and drive it as is, but in reality because of it's rarity and value this car deserves a full restoration which I'm not in a position to take on. Asking $42,000. Thanks for looking!

IMG_4865.jpg

IMG_4866.jpg

IMG_4868.jpg

IMG_4870.jpg

IMG_4872.jpg

IMG_4874.jpg

IMG_4875.jpg

IMG_4876.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dpcdfan said:

The car was started and running last year

I have all the parts that you don't see in the pictures as they were off the car when I bought it.

You could put the parts back on, get the car running and drive it as is,

When you put the critical comments all together my thought is that the pictures shown do not accurately reflect the CURRENT condition. 

Pictures from when you bought it are nice, and a picture of a restored example has some value (I guess), but PLEASE, the buyer needs to know what it looks like TODAY!  Which is not clearly communicated in this offering. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Any two door Airflow Chrysler or DeSoto was a low-production car when new, the survival rate now is extremely low.  Any interested individuals should seriously investigate this example...it may be the only opportunity you will ever have to have one.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, dpcdfan said:

1935 Chrysler C2 Imperial Coupe... Full CCCA Classic, one of 200 built.

Mr. DPCD Fan, can you copy the link?  And where is

this located?  Contact information, too?  If anyone is 

interested--and for our records--these things are

important.  Thank you for sharing the find.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Mr. DPCD Fan, can you copy the link?  And where is

this located?  Contact information, too?  If anyone is 

interested--and for our records--these things are

important.  Thank you for sharing the find.

Hi John,

Thanks for reaching out. My bad, this is actually my car, hopefully it's okay to list it on this thread. The car is near San Bernardino, Ca. It was originally from here in Southern California and then owned by a person in Oregon.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, m-mman said:

When you put the critical comments all together my thought is that the pictures shown do not accurately reflect the CURRENT condition. 

Pictures from when you bought it are nice, and a picture of a restored example has some value (I guess), but PLEASE, the buyer needs to know what it looks like TODAY!  Which is not clearly communicated in this offering. 

Hi,

The pics were taken recently and that is what the car currently looks like.

37 minutes ago, Crusty Trucker said:

Here's some old forum posts about a couple of Airflow coupes that were for sale in 2018. The original seller's ad has been deleted as well as the asking price, but one of the posts references $35,000. which I presume was for the pair.

Actually he had the pair advertised for $85,000 Don't know what he finally ended up getting for them.

1 hour ago, 1wonton said:

How many times you see someone start a restoration project then lose interest before finishing the job?  A crime, in my opinion.  I know there can be extenuating circumstances, but we see it all too often.  Probably another car lost to history.

I'm not seeing whatever it is that you find so objectionable. The debris on the rear seat back? the iffy woodgraining on the dashboard? It sounds to me like you are nitpicking prior to offering a lowball offer.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Hudsy Wudsy said:

I'm not seeing whatever it is that you find so objectionable. The debris on the rear seat back? the iffy woodgraining on the dashboard? It sounds to me like you are nitpicking prior to offering a lowball offer.

"Hudsy".... Thanks for your comments. As I stated in the post, my reason for selling the Airflow is that I do want to see it get a proper restoration. The restoration project was started by the previous owner who died and I don't want to see the car sit and get neglected.  imperial Airflow coupes can sell in the $125-175k range when properly restored. Unfortunately, I do not have the time, money, or where with all to give the car the restoration it deserves. Most of the chrome being already done is certainly a plus. The debris on the rear back seat is just pieces of the original headliner that fell on the seat.

• Like 2

do think that the debris on the top of the rear seat is terribly distracting. I thought at first that it was mouse activity. If it could be removed and that photo retaken that would be a substantial improvement. I haven't studied all of the details thoroughly, but I think that I'd be content with a paint job, and then just show it as is. I'd be proud of it!

19 hours ago, Hudsy Wudsy said:

Sounds like a good idea; What would you consider a good low-ball offer I should make?

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Hudsy Wudsy said:

do think that the debris on the top of the rear seat is terribly distracting. I thought at first that it was mouse activity. If it could be removed and that photo retaken that would be a substantial improvement. I haven't studied all of the details thoroughly, but I think that I'd be content with a paint job, and then just show it as is. I'd be proud of it!

You're right, I already took the headliner pieces off the rear seat. I should go ahead and retake that picture.And to your point, except for the headliner, the seats and door panels have been redone and are certainly usable as is. And then there's all the rechroming that's been done.

• Like 1

A very worthy car. '35 Airflows are my favorite, as they combine the wonderful tubular seat frames with an overdrive--a bridge between the stunning '34s and the later, less dramatic but more road-worthy cars. The Imperial is a Full Classic, as noted, and comes with the relatively powerful 323 cubic inch straight-8 instead of the smaller 299 cubic inch version. Yes, it's a BIG car--the shape masks the proportions pretty well. And a coupe! It's almost a unicorn!

I'm not in any position to make a move on this car but if you want an Airflow, this is absolutely the one to have. I should also note that dpcdfan is a straight shooter who has helped me out several times with parts that were exactly as advertised. I would assume his description of the car is likewise pretty accurate.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Interesting comments from well informed members.  I have a C1 coupe in similar or slightly better condition.  I am looked for years before I found this one, and would have liked a C2, but found a C1 and figured better get it while I could.  I am wondering if the C2 would be considered quite a bit more desirable/valuable than a C1?  Is it just the C2's that are considered a full classic?

Ed

• Like 1

3 hours ago, edk said:

Interesting comments from well informed members.  I have a C1 coupe in similar or slightly better condition.  I am looked for years before I found this one, and would have liked a C2, but found a C1 and figured better get it while I could.  I am wondering if the C2 would be considered quite a bit more desirable/valuable than a C1?  Is it just the C2's that are considered a full classic?

Ed

Airflow Imperial Eight models CV, C2, C10, C17;”. 

https://www.classiccarclub.org/approved-classics

• Like 1

On 3/1/2023 at 9:46 AM, Matt Harwood said:

A very worthy car. '35 Airflows are my favorite, as they combine the wonderful tubular seat frames with an overdrive--a bridge between the stunning '34s and the later, less dramatic but more road-worthy cars. The Imperial is a Full Classic, as noted, and comes with the relatively powerful 323 cubic inch straight-8 instead of the smaller 299 cubic inch version. Yes, it's a BIG car--the shape masks the proportions pretty well. And a coupe! It's almost a unicorn!

I'm not in any position to make a move on this car but if you want an Airflow, this is absolutely the one to have. I should also note that dpcdfan is a straight shooter who has helped me out several times with parts that were exactly as advertised. I would assume his description of the car is likewise pretty accurate.

Thanks for the kind words, especially from someone like yourself who is a well respected person in the old car hobby. Regarding my coupe, I'm open to a fair offer as it is my intent to get this rare Airflow into the hands of someone who'll appreciate it and hopefully give it the full restoration it deserves.

You guys really should learn to use "Google Images". It's an easily accessible Google-provided site where you simply enter a subject, in this case "1935 Chrysler Imperial" and Google provides you with a whole page of pictures. Simply go to Google, look for the small word "images" in the upper right corner, and click on it. A new page will open with a search box. Enter what you want to see in the search box. Try this, for example, "1935 chrysler imperial", and you'll get these. (I've left these first three pictures in their initial small size, but all you have to do is click on the ones on the Google site, and they instantly enlarge like the last one. There are many more. Some of these are C2 models. I didn't specify which I wanted.

1935 Chrysler Imperial Model C-2 Airflow | Bill Jacomet | Flickr

1935 Chrysler Airflow Imperial Series C-2 Coupe

1935 CHRYSLER IMPERIAL MODEL C-2 AIRFLOW COUPE |  Daniel-T-Lawrence.photoshelter.com

File:1935 Chrysler Imperial Coupe (9343798909).jpg

Edited by Hudsy Wudsy (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yep, Imperial, Airflow, and Coupe (actually a 2 door sedan) is the most desirable combo. I'm biased, I would add 1934 to that list as well, though mine has 4 doors...😉

• Like 1