The identify this tool

halifaxhops

Back to top with these:

This is a belt adjusting tool. Assemble it as shown, put the curved ends against the pulleys and then turn the hex piece to expand the tool to tension the drive belt.

20230219_114819.jpg

Combined with the Borroughs belt tension gage you get good proper tension on belts. Using the adjusting tool is the only way I can get proper alternator belt tension on some 80s Olds V8 engines.

This one is a thermal limiter circuit diagnostic tester for GM airconditioning systems with superheat/low refrigerant pressure switches.

20230213_160239.jpg

Plug it into the harness in place of this thermal limiter fuse to diagnose why the fuse blew (my experience is they'll blow for no good reason on the hottest day of the year!).

20230219_120558.jpg

Instructions:

20230219_120423.jpg

• Like 2

Am going to give all of you the answer to this one up front as I doubt that but just a very few have ever seen one of these. It is a tire inflation gauge. It measures the deflection ( squash) of the tire at the ground and you inflate the tire for the correct profile! Automatically correcting for load.

20190930_125213.jpg

20190930_125236.jpg

20190930_125245.jpg

20190930_125320.jpg

20190930_130457.jpg

• Like 4

What's this? It is based on a valve spring removal tool and is a manufatured tool. (Rimac). There are several more out there but know one seems to know its intended use. It expands when the cross handle is turned clock wise. Note the holes in the plates. One has washer wear marks. IMG_2917.JPG.29e386dadf09c13e5ab03a20cd20c557.JPGIMG_2918.JPG.c396d69a6cb7220e1c0a631bc138f9fc.JPGIMG_2919.JPG.3c05eed21dd984c57c32f5ae58206fdd.JPG

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)

Dandy Dave said "What's this? It is based on a valve spring removal tool and is a (re) manufactured tool.". Obviously set up as a shop-made "spreader", could be used for many tasks which require holding a couple o layers apart, maybe light spring plies, prying off covers, holding steel panels apart for welding etc. 

16 hours ago, PFindlay said:

I've been wondering about this little kit for awhile - anyone know what it's for?

tools.jpg.f1410a07cb4d1711e36ced263f540e57.jpg

My first thought on the Williams tool was some type of spanner but most I've seen have pins instead of hooks.

Until I looked in the McMaster-Carr link I'd never seen a spanner like the Kent-Moore piece- even in my Olds shop manuals.

What are the knurled pins' function? It's a fascinating tool, especially since we don't know what it is or what it does!☺️

53 minutes ago, Larry Schramm said:

Here is a new item that I have not seen before on this tool challenge.

IMG_20230222_142302_01.jpg

I have not seen one of these but it looks like a tool to aid in the removal of valve spring keepers.  The ones which have a single pin and not collets.

3 hours ago, Stude17 said:

I have not seen one of these but it looks like a tool to aid in the removal of valve spring keepers.  The ones which have a single pin and not collets.

Taking another look at the photo it appears to have an "internal thread".  Perhaps a tool to clean damaged valve stems ie a die nut.

Edited by Stude17 (see edit history)

Not trying to spoil the party (I hope this thread continues) but I'm shocked the mods haven't shut it down since it goes against the "one item per thread" in the rules. I've seen others get scolded in the past, lets hope they let this fun thread continue. 

Nothing to see here Peter, move along ;) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/23/2023 at 6:01 AM, 30DodgePanel said:

Not trying to spoil the party (I hope this thread continues) but I'm shocked the mods haven't shut it down since it goes against the "one item per thread" in the rules. I've seen others get scolded in the past, lets hope they let this fun thread continue. 

Nothing to see here Peter, move along ;) 

Thinking about it, we should have an automotive tool section/sub forum for showing different tools and the proper use for restoring our automobiles. It would help out folks to know the right tool for the job. The correct way to use them. And also knowledge about odd tools like these. I'm supprized we have not had a section for this. 

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)
  • Like 5