The identify this tool

halifaxhops

Shock absorber tool.   

It holds the threaded rod as you turn the nut and the silver socket screws on to pull the threaded rod through the hole in the frame. 

I have two.

They have NEVER worked on old rusted, bent rods. They only seem to function on brand new shocks when you dont really need one. 

20230213_161121.jpg.fb91c56ee14dfb9bb23c154805885c5c.jpg

Edited by m-mman (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Ok I'll play, this is an electrical test box. But what does it test? How is is used?

Interestingly, I bought it at a recent swap meet ($20) because I can actually use it on a friends car. 

IMG_5980.jpg

IMG_5979.jpg

Variable resistance certainly, but Not nearly heavy enough for a starter-generator. 

I stared at it at the swap meet. The instructions were in the box which described it use and then I realized that had I wondered if they ever made one and that I need it for my friend's car. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, joe_padavano said:

C'mon Glenn, that Bonney socket for the oil pan drain plug is easy. 😁

Of course, people often use a channel lock pliers instead. 🙄

earlydp.jpg

In Oldsworld, yes. Outside of there, maybe not so easy!

Hell, as the oil drain plug picture shows, some folks in Oldsworld don't know about it!

Fits 61-65 Oldsmobile V8 oil pan drain plugs except 215. A 1/2 drive ratchet works in absence of the special socket.

Looks like they didn't know that either!😄

Just now, m-mman said:

Ok I'll play, this is an electrical test box. But what does it test? How is is used?

Interestingly, I bought it at a recent swap meet ($20) because I can actually use it on a friends car. 

IMG_5980.jpg

IMG_5979.jpg

breakout box for having fixeed ohms.

3 hours ago, halifaxhops said:

breakout box for having fixed ohms.

Yes it does set a particular resistance.

It is for testing dash instruments.  Temp & fuel gauges.   There is a card in the lid that lists the specifications for various manufactures (even some tractors are listed) You set the knobs for that resistance, then connect one tester wire to the sending unit wire and the other to ground. then look at the gauge. Is it on 1/2? or 3/4 or full?

There are several knobs so that if the spec is 56 ohms you set one knob at 50 (exactly) and the other at 6 (exactly) You dont set the 'big' knob half way between 50 & 60 ohms.

If there is a discrepancy in the gauge reading then you test directly at the gauge in the dash to rule out excess resistance in the wires to the sender. 

Pretty neat. Certainly the type of tool that you would likely use only once or twice in a lifetime, but I happen to have a friend with a 1960 Edsel who's temp gauge reads way too high (at least its not consistent with the actual coolant temp). I am looking forward to trying it out. 

I have tested it with my ohm meter and 56 ohms from the box is 56 ohms on the meter. So it does work. 

There is the one switch which says "IVR" not sure what that does? Perhaps "Instrument voltage regulator" 

There is also a 1 amp fuse and a bulb that are part of another circuit in the device. (maybe the IVR circuit?) Not sure what they do or how to use them. 

Edited by m-mman (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, m-mman said:

Yes it does set a particular resistance.

It is for testing dash instruments.  Temp & fuel gauges.   There is a card in the lid that lists the specifications for various manufactures (even some tractors are listed) You set the knobs for that resistance, then connect one tester wire to the sending unit wire and the other to ground. then look at the gauge. Is it on 1/2? or 3/4 or full?

There are several knobs so that if the spec is 56 ohms you set one knob at 50 (exactly) and the other at 6 (exactly) You dont set the 'big' knob half way between 50 & 60 ohms.

If there is a discrepancy in the gauge reading then you test directly at the gauge in the dash to rule out excess resistance in the wires to the sender. 

Pretty neat. Certainly the type of tool that you would likely use only once or twice in a lifetime, but I happen to have a friend with a 1960 Edsel who's temp gauge reads way too high (at least its not consistent with the actual coolant temp). I am looking forward to trying it out. 

I have tested it with my ohm meter and 56 ohms from the box is 56 ohms on the meter. So it does work. 

There is the one switch which says "IVR" not sure what that does? Perhaps "Instrument voltage regulator" 

There is also a 1 amp fuse and a bulb that are part of another circuit in the device. (maybe the IVR circuit?) Not sure what they do or how to use them. 

I was just going to guess that!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, rocketraider said:

Think I'm right that Ford also used a separate voltage regulator for their gauges? Does the tool work with that?

Yes, Ford used a "Constant Voltage Regulator". Essentially a 12 volt flasher to supply the gauges. On-off, on-off, the voltage is never zero and never 12. The average is 8 volts.

I am thinking that the light bulb on the Rotunda device tests (proves) this flashing power.  Heck, a basic test light is easy enough to show it, but having it integrated into the tool makes it more magical I guess. 

• Like 1

On 2/8/2023 at 4:57 AM, halifaxhops said:

grounding-brush-jpg.1715993433

Used in the air craft industry to clean any hole drilled for a ground connection in the air frame.

• Like 1