1954 Packard Executive Limo - $15,950 (550 Rt 7 So milton vt)

Not Mine - interesting or fascinating?

https://vermont.craigslist.org/ctd/d/milton-1954-packard-executive-limo/7560054290.html

1954 Packard Executive Limo Custom Built 500 Cubic Inch Cadillac V-8, Automatic, Stereo-Cd, Dual Air-Conditioned, Power Moonroof, Power steering, Power Disc Brakes, 2 Sets of Hub Caps with Fender Skirts.Car Cover, Car was fully redone over the years top to bottom have all receipts and records original Arizona car with Arizona Title .No Rust very rare could be used for limo service or have the only one at the car show. Seats 8 --- Phone (802) 343-29 six two

[more documentation pics in ad]

ay0100N0N_2bJ89tITfXEz_1320MM_1200x900.jpg

ay0300Q0Q_41lEWnC57acz_1320MM_1200x900.jpg

ay0400x0x_3MfFls4gVONz_1320MM_1200x900.jpg

ay0500E0E_alLWn0odYtnz_1320MM_1200x900.jpg

ay0600n0n_dL2ndB9VgcBz_1320MM_1200x900.jpg

ay0700V0V_4BzZ8Sx9CiPz_1320MM_1200x900.jpg

ay0800t0t_9477MFSn6g3z_0MM132_1200x900.jpg

ay0200606_cheY3PWAsFCz_1320MM_1200x900.jpg

• Like 1

As I recall, Not every Limousine had to have a Divider Window.

They were optional on some, perhaps standard on another, and in some cases it was a separate model number,

but a Limousine, nonetheless.

Sometimes the nomenclature was dependent on wheelbase, jump seats, built-in bar, lack of rearmost side windows,etc

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Marty Roth said:

They were optional on some, perhaps standard on another, and in some cases it was a separate model number,

Sometimes the nomenclature was dependent on wheelbase, jump seats, built-in bar, lack of rearmost side windows,etc

Disregarding any marketing mangling of the terms, this is a seven passenger sedan.  The limo would have a division window, and the driver's compartment usually in leather since it was meant to be chauffeur-driven.  I believe Packard used the terms that way also.

• Like 5

• 5 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Fleetwood Meadow said:

What makes this car a shame? 

Answer:

On 12/3/2022 at 11:12 AM, classiclines said:

Custom Built 500 Cubic Inch Cadillac V-8, Automatic, Stereo-Cd, Dual Air-Conditioned, Power Moon roof, Power steering, Power Disc Brakes, 2 Sets of Hub Caps with Fender Skirts, window tint, and the interior.

Otherwise it's a great collectible Packard!

Edited by Twisted Shifter (see edit history)
  • Like 2

So long story short, the guy changed the engine, reupholstered the car, and added features to make the car drivable to a wider band of people and it’s garbage now? I don’t get it because people change the very life-blood of vehicles on here (6-12 volt conversions) and people cheer them. This guy added added air conditioning and power steering/brakes and he’s a monster? Maybe I misunderstand the word shame..

• Thanks 1

The reason it is a shame is you can drop a crate motor in any run of the mill Packard and nobody cares.  This car is actually something sort of special and unique.

Btw,  when I was young and stupid I did the 6v to 12v upgrade but I now realize it is the wrong path and you are just papering over the real problem.

• Like 1

As noted by others, the common thinking is a Limo has a glass divider.... the sedan does not.   The long wheelbase sedan was called many thing by different manufactures. 

I think Packard called it a "Executive Sedans",  others more commonly called the 7 passenger sedans. 

In 1954 Packard made 30,865 vehicles.    35 were Executive sedans,  65 were "Corporate Limo"    either way a rare car and well worth saving. 

My only comment is the Walmart wire wheel covers must go.   It would look great with the available "real" wire wheels but they were probably not available on the 

long wheelbase cars because of the weight.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alsancle said:

The reason it is a shame is you can drop a crate motor in any run of the mill Packard and nobody cares.  This car is actually something sort of special and unique.

That makes sense. The other reasons that were given for my question had not made sense. What was the engine that would have been in this car and would it be difficult to locate another one to make the car more correct on that part? At least he went somewhat appropriate with a Cadillac engine versus a sbc. 

On 12/3/2022 at 3:50 PM, Marty Roth said:

You can't go wrong calling them what Packard called them. Custom Limousine (with disappearing glass partition), 8-Passenger Sedan (without).

Also called in company literature the Packard Corporation Limousine and Executive Sedan.

1170472382_54ExecutiveLimousineSedanHenney2PBro.jpg.7ce1b980ef8f363745df9768c2822a5c.jpg

1511005222_54ExecutiveLimousineSedanHenney3PBro.jpg.7a498b923c2c99c3fed0ea0395d2c422.jpg

TG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

Yep.   Papering over the problem that 6V was antiquated WAY before it was replaced.   If it was so good , why was it changed 70 or so years ago?

Ben

Because of cost ! 12 volt uses cables  only half as thick as 6 volt cables .With 24 volts you can again use thinner cables.

18 hours ago, TG57Roadmaster said:

You can't go wrong calling them what Packard called them. Custom Limousine (with disappearing glass partition), 8-Passenger Sedan (without).

Also called in company literature the Packard Corporation Limousine and Executive Sedan.

1170472382_54ExecutiveLimousineSedanHenney2PBro.jpg.7ce1b980ef8f363745df9768c2822a5c.jpg

1511005222_54ExecutiveLimousineSedanHenney3PBro.jpg.7a498b923c2c99c3fed0ea0395d2c422.jpg

TG

Wow !! 

The short paragraph at the lower left of the ad really documents what Packard called it for that year and model.

Thank you @TG57Roadmaster

These postings in this forum are not advertising.

Purity and righteousness standards require omniscient judging.  That has yet to exist in car clubs.  Sure we try, but never totally succeed.  A fools errand when all we want to do is make others aware of cars out there somewhere that might be of interest to fellow collectors.

And most surely tire construction and wheel covers that can all be changed out in half an hour by the next owner should not be determinant of whether a car can appear, IMHO.

11 minutes ago, StillOutThere said:

These postings in this forum are not advertising.

Purity and righteousness standards require omniscient judging.  That has yet to exist in car clubs.  Sure we try, but never totally succeed.  A fools errand when all we want to do is make others aware of cars out there somewhere that might be of interest to fellow collectors.

And most surely tire construction and wheel covers that can all be changed out in half an hour by the next owner should not be determinant of whether a car can appear, IMHO.

I think he was making a joke.    The wheels are an easy fix.  The crate motor not so much.

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, alsancle said:

The original 327 or 359 engine was basically indestructible. I question the wisdom of anyone that comes up with the idea of putting a Cadillac engine in a Packard.

I don’t disagree and I wouldn’t have done the swap. Apparently someone read too many Hot Rod magazines.

I’m just saying that a running, driving, usable (allegedly), car with AC for $16k seems like a good deal. 

• Like 2