Featured cars at Pebble Beach Concours 2023

1937hd45

Beautiful Packard Twin Six! Yes, that is a car I could go crazy over!

Almost twenty years ago, I went on a Nickel Age Touring Club tour with my then 1915/'16 Studebaker touring car. An old friend was there, one of the last club tours he went on. He sadly went in a modern car due to his rapidly failing health. His daughter's boyfriend drove his just completed Packard Twin Six roadster on the tour. It was a 1917 if I recall correctly. An extremely impressive automobile!

On 11/23/2022 at 11:04 PM, Grimy said:

Thanks, Bob.  Here you go...photo taken during the Saturday cleanup before the show, not a wonderful backdrop.  The relatively unusual rear-mounted spare (for a 12) really shows off the fender and runningboard curves.

Jeff 1937 Packard 12.jpg

The essential aesthetic appeal of an innocuous color such as this warm gray is it allows the car's design, proportions, details and surface developments to be completely visible to their best advantage.  Its subtlety is its greatest asset, not demanding attention.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, 58L-Y8 said:

The essential aesthetic appeal of an innocuous color such as this warm gray is it allows the car's design, proportions, details and surface developments to be completely visible to their best advantage.  Its subtlety is its greatest asset, not demanding attention.

On great cars of the 20’s and 30’s…….less is always more.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 11/23/2022 at 10:04 PM, Grimy said:

Thanks, Bob.  Here you go...photo taken during the Saturday cleanup before the show, not a wonderful backdrop.  The relatively unusual rear-mounted spare (for a 12) really shows off the fender and runningboard curves.

Jeff 1937 Packard 12.jpg

Help me out here. Is that Packard 12 behind the grey coupe a Packard bodied 1507 5 pass coupe or something coachbuilt?

On 11/24/2022 at 5:21 AM, alsancle said:

George,  thanks.  I was so impressed with the presentation of this car that I went back 3 times to try and introduce myself to Jeff.   First time in the photo I posted you can see the judges were keeping him busy.   When you are standing with your car at Pebble you tend to be occupied.

AJ, I told Jeff how impressed you were, and he was very flattered.  He's a great guy, I'll be sure to introduce you to him. 

That color tan/beige Jeff used for his '37 was the original color on my '35 1207.   Some day I'll get it back to that color, with the same dark brown leather as it originally had.   I think it was bedford tan/bronson beige (I bought a paint chip sheet and matched the color to my door jambs where you can see the original paint).

1067_58ed6fc6a0766.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, West Peterson said:

With the front opening doors, you're looking at a 1936 Model 1407 5-passenger coupe.

Thanks West, I missed that front opening door detail. I really like that 5 pass coupe body, sexy lines and you don’t see them often.  

On 11/23/2022 at 7:57 PM, Grimy said:

John, I'm partially colorblind so I'll refrain from commenting on colors other than the gold-leafed Cads and Pierces 🙂

I must correct my earlier remark that this was Jeff's first ground-up restoration--just before this one he did a ground-up on a Shelby Mustang.  I didn't think of that at the time because it was "modern" and therefore not in my own wheelhouse.

Hate to also say it, but V-12 Packard while very neat cars are sorta dime a dozen in their yet rare way via plenty of survivors of most all years and you really do have to think out the colors (often to something others have not done before in their restorations) or you get lost in the crowd.   I also believe that if you have photos of your car new or a build sheet then you should follow that - even if you would not personally make that choice.  And a little off topic - I also believe original data plates should be ignored as to their condition.   

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 11/27/2022 at 1:26 AM, 1935Packard said:

AJ, I told Jeff how impressed you were, and he was very flattered.  He's a great guy, I'll be sure to introduce you to him. 

That color tan/beige Jeff used for his '37 was the original color on my '35 1207.   Some day I'll get it back to that color, with the same dark brown leather as it originally had.   I think it was bedford tan/bronson beige (I bought a paint chip sheet and matched the color to my door jambs where you can see the original paint).

1067_58ed6fc6a0766.jpg

My great aunt had a 1935 12 Coupe Roadster in what I would describe as an ocean blue - sort of a darker bluish turquoise (not a greenish) with a gold metallic flake that was in pearled finish.  It also had chrome wheel hubs and spokes with painted rolled rims.  The pinstripe was white.  The car made it into the 90's with basically unrestored with the bumpers and hubcaps rechromed, a 60's top , and a 70's leather interior - then the next owner went resale red. 

Ed Minni had a Pierce Arrow in pretty much the same color (with a silver metalic and very shiny finish)  - Ed called it "The Color of Winning" - The prior owner of the PA went to high school with my uncle (who eventually owned the Packard). 

• Like 2

On 11/24/2022 at 8:44 AM, edinmass said:

Here is a good photo. A exceptionally nice Murphy Roadster on the field in 2022. A world class car by anyones definition. The BOS car is next to it. This 100 point Murphy didn’t even place in the class. That’s what we call deep water. The car is owned by good friends. I hadn’t been seen in like 25 years, so it was reasonably fresh with lots of current upgrades so it presented as a “new restoration”. And you get a thank you for bring your car. That is how Pebble works. Notice the judges. Ten minutes after this photo, I helped out a friend with his 29 Packard no start on the field. He had shut off his vacuum tank and forgot. Nerves cost him a trophy. You must be on top of your game, or you lose…….

6873A074-4E81-478D-A707-0E07685DD5C3.png

I arranged for this Duesenberg to get a new interior prior to Pebble Beach (no easy task via timing) and everyone at Straight-Eight was well engaged too - I did not see it get onto trailer from upholster, but my upholster already does 100 point cars and I thought was going to slap me silly when I was telling him how I wanted the car done. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, John_Mereness said:

Hate to also say it, but V-12 Packard while very neat cars are far are sorta dime a dozen in their yet rare way via plenty of survivors of most all years and you really do have to think out the colors (often to something others have not done before in their restorations) or you get lost in the crowd.   I also believe that if you have photos of your car new or a build sheet then you should follow that - even if you would not personally make that choice.  And a little off topic - I also believe original data plates should be ignored as to their condition.   

I suspect I am being trolled here, but I'll bite anyway.  For the record, I had no part in suggesting the gray/tan color (or any other color) on the 1937 Packard 12 coupe, although I did suggest blackwall tires which were used--and I am personally gratified that the color selected was neither black nor Packard Blue (although I do appreciate that blue on a sedan or limo) because far too many other restorations have used those colors.

As to build sheets, I speak Pierce-Arrow, not Packard, and all the Pierce build sheets went into the furnace in 1938.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Grimy said:

I suspect I am being trolled here, but I'll bite anyway.  For the record, I had no part in suggesting the gray/tan color (or any other color) on the 1937 Packard 12 coupe, although I did suggest blackwall tires which were used--and I am personally gratified that the color selected was neither black nor Packard Blue (although I do appreciate that blue on a sedan or limo) because far too many other restorations have used those colors.

As to build sheets, I speak Pierce-Arrow, not Packard, and all the Pierce build sheets went into the furnace in 1938.

Do not worry, I tend to be diplomatic and yet far from it on various topics (one being paint color choice of 20's and 30's cars) - I personally like the Blue and I especially like the maroon, though having seen a few of the maroon cars via unrestored, I see the maroon as a brownish maroon and yet when I see a restored example it lacks the brownish quality (albeit the maroons are unstable so the brownish may be due to sunlight, care, and age).

I THINK THEY PULLED OFF THE GOAL ON THE V-12 COUPE, but only because it has a fabulous restoration and the whole thing is well thought out (99% of people trying to recreate will not have the same success and will be crying at time of resale). 

On 11/23/2022 at 8:46 PM, 1937hd45 said:

I like the Packard, color too. I bet it looks fantastic with the hood closed, open hoods are a 1970's thing. 

Bob

Probably Concours events should have "open your hoods" from like 1:00 to 2:00 as people do enjoy engines too. 

When I run the Haggerty Youth Judging teams we fire up some of the things the kid love that you will not see driving across the podium to win awards (draws huge crowds when we do). 

I would also like to give bonus points for really well though out period clothing (seems to be quite a thing for Goodwood Revival). 

12 minutes ago, John_Mereness said:

Do not worry, I tend to be diplomatic and yet far from it on various topics (one being paint color choice of 20's and 30's cars) - I personally like the Blue and I especially like the maroon, though having seen a few of the maroon cars via unrestored, I see the maroon as a brownish maroon and yet when I see a restored example it lacks the brownish quality (albeit the maroons are unstable so the brownish may be due to sunlight, care, and age).

I THINK THEY PULLED OFF THE GOAL ON THE V-12 COUPE, but only because it has a fabulous restoration and the whole thing is well thought out (99% of people trying to recreate will not have the same success and will be crying at time of resale). 

I never worry about such things, John.  🙂  The suitability of colors is largely subjective except that many of us scorn the Circus Wagon School of Restoration during the 1970s.  I certainly agree with your comments as to maroon, especially on invariably unsuccessful attempts to replicate the original Oxblood Maroon (a magnificent brownish color, IMHO) on 1938-39 Cadillacs, including the "iridescent" version on 1940 cars.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Grimy said:

I never worry about such things, John.  🙂  The suitability of colors is largely subjective except that many of us scorn the Circus Wagon School of Restoration during the 1970s.  I certainly agree with your comments as to maroon, especially on invariably unsuccessful attempts to replicate the original Oxblood Maroon (a magnificent brownish color, IMHO) on 1938-39 Cadillacs, including the "iridescent" version on 1940 cars.

There is a 60's fleshy tan color fad that does little for me too.

Yes, the Cadillac maroon color is attractive.

And, periodically something really  different shows up and knocks the ball out ot the ballpark.

As a sidenote:  A friend has a white 35 Auburn Phaeton (white is a factory color). The car has a very nice restoration and has failed in ever reaching any decent potential in sale

There is a 60's fleshy tan color fad that does little for me too.

Yes, the cadillac color is attractive.

And, periodically something really  different shows up and knocks the ball out ot the ballpark.

As a sidenote:  A friend has a white 35 Auburn 851 Phaeton. The car has an exceptionall nice restoration and yet has failed in ever reaching any decent potential in sale price - that said though he ended up with a fabulous car condition wise, his wife and family love it, it is the only car they have his wife will drive, and he gets to do whatever he wants as it sits in their garage as a loved family member.

16 minutes ago, John_Mereness said:

As a sidenote:  A friend has a white 35 Auburn 851 Phaeton. The car has an exceptionall nice restoration and yet has failed in ever reaching any decent potential in sale price - that said though he ended up with a fabulous car condition wise, his wife and family love it, it is the only car they have his wife will drive, and he gets to do whatever he wants as it sits in their garage as a loved family member.

And that's what really counts, in my book.

Back to the Packard coupe:  Just *perhaps*, the unusual-today factory color may have made this car stand out just a trifle more to the judges.  On the other hand, the coupe received 100 points at a SoCal Grand Classic this spring, more than six months after its Pebble appearance.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, John_Mereness said:

I also believe that if you have photos of your car new or a build sheet then you should follow that - even if you would not personally make that choice.  And a little off topic - I also believe original data plates should be ignored as to their condition.   

That's my personal view, too.  In the case of my '35, it was originally the beige color and was repainted in the 70s with a cheap paint 70s-color job; as the cheap paint flakes off and rubs off, you can see the original beige on all of the body panels, the wheels, etc.  The way I see it, there's a beige car underneath trying to come out!   Add to that the 1970s vinyl upholstery, which is begging to be replaced with the original dark brown leather per early photos.  I would have done it ages ago if it weren't so damn expensive.  But, well, it's all so damn expensive. 

Also agree as to data plates.

Edited by 1935Packard (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 11/24/2022 at 5:23 PM, wayne sheldon said:

Beautiful Packard Twin Six! Yes, that is a car I could go crazy over!

Almost twenty years ago, I went on a Nickel Age Touring Club tour with my then 1915/'16 Studebaker touring car. An old friend was there, one of the last club tours he went on. He sadly went in a modern car due to his rapidly failing health. His daughter's boyfriend drove his just completed Packard Twin Six roadster on the tour. It was a 1917 if I recall correctly. An extremely impressive automobile!

A Packard high point for engineering matched to quality