36 Pontiac coupe $4800/not mine

Personally, I would prefer this be called a "two-door sedan". That is the generally more common term for this style. However, being somewhat OCD about language, and often getting into discussions on the subjects of both antique automobiles and etymology, I did do some reading on this a few years back. 

Marketing has for a very long time played with words and their applications. Calling this basic style a "coupe" actually does go back at least to the mid 1920s for a few automobile manufacturers. Examples of this have been shared by others on this forum in past years. 

To know what General Motors or Pontiac were calling this style in 1936? One would need to look through a lot of their advertising from that time.

While I may have to accept the use of "coupe" for this body style due to SOME historic precedent? I would prefer people use the more commonly accepted term of "two-door sedan"  for one simple reason. It avoids confusion.  And that is the ultimate goal of language and communication, to avoid confusion.

But that is just my opinion.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

would prefer people use the more commonly accepted term of "two-door sedan"

I am surprised that nobody has mentioned the “often used at the time” word - Coach.   A 1936 Pontiac Coach…..
I don’t hear it very often these days. 

Pontiac called that a "2-Door Sedan" in 1936, and would have called it a "2-Door Touring Sedan" if it had a trunk bulge.

Chevrolet would have called it a "Coach", and if it had a trunk bulge they would have called it a "Town Sedan".

5 hours ago, m-mman said:

I am surprised that nobody has mentioned the “often used at the time” word - Coach.   A 1936 Pontiac Coach…..
I don’t hear it very often these days. 

I like the word "Coach" for the body style. When I bought my 1925 Studebaker over 45 years ago, the local Studebaker authority informed me that what I had had originally been called a coach by Studebaker, and I have seen era advertising using that term. I often then and now refer to the car as a coach. However again, the word "coach" isn't commonly understood by a lot of people. "Two-door sedan" is the most widely recognized term for the body type regardless of the vintage or region in which it is being discussed.

Coach of course dates back hundreds of years in reference to horse drawn carriages. A "coach" usually had a fixed roof and a door on each side. Many of them had two seats, one front and one back. They usually faced each other so that passengers could carry on conversations while traveling. Horse-drawn coaches generally had the driver sitting up front outside, while the passengers rode inside in comfort. As automobiles developed, it became more practical to face all seats forward, especially since the driver was now inside and needed a front view regardless.

I think we should make a habit of interjecting the word "coach" in discussions of appropriate automobiles! "This car is a remarkable looking two-door sedan, often called a coach in its era."

Just silly me.

• Like 2

Whether named a two-door sedan or coach by its manufacturer, once the body style reached parity with the open body styles, the sales of two-door sedans and coaches were the best sellers for the low-priced three.   The reasoning was the two-door sedan offered the most enclosed passenger capacity for the least amount of money, style notwithstanding.   Moving up through the medium-priced makes, the four door sedans took the popularity crown simply because cost was less of a consideration versus personal convenience.

• Like 1

To take on a project like this Pontiac would be strictly a labor of love. anyone thinking buying this could not be faint of heard because just paint and an interior would send the costs skywards. Isn't this car made partially with made of wood? Sorry to bring reality into this discussion but IMHO there are other cars that would be more desirable to sink my money in. Two door sedans are not sought after and don't fetch big money. I agree this would a wonderful car if it was restored!

• Like 1

Not sure how much body wood comes into play here, but this was the beginning of the GM "turret top" so no insert which helps a bit. 

In the 70s, 80s this car would be a prime candidate for a hobbyist restoration.  

Almost $5k seems like a steep price though.  

• Like 1

I couldn't see it until the brochure was posted. Having stated that, to bring this car to that level will take a very large investment. Even at that stage IMO you will have a beautiful car that is worth half of what you have put into it. I sure would like to see this car finished if some takes it on. 

• Like 3

Value vs. Investment aside, it would seem to be a much better start than some average (in other words, not really rare or valuable stuff) cars of the era that hobbyists have restored.  Looks solid and complete.  Chrome would be scary though, expense wise.

• Like 2