Lacquer Paint Required

KeithsClassic

Back in the mid 1980's I painted my car using PPG's lacquer paint - Duracryl 9300 Black. While changing a florescent light bulb I dropped it on the hood. It dented and chipped the older brittle paint. I had kept a 2/3 quart of DDL 9300 and the matching sealer all these years for just such an emergency. I gave the hood and paint to a painter who was reccomended to me. He stripped, repaired and painted the hood but didnt use the sealer. After a month small bleed through dots started to appear. They would not compound out. He used ALL THE ORIGINAL PAINT on the hood. We have tried two different reccomended blacks in an attempt to match the color. They do not match. The only option appears to be to use the original DDL 9300 Black paint. I have chased down all the current references on the internet and cannot find any DDL 9300. I'm now searching the forums and saw a thread mentioning the paint on the AACA forum. Does ANYONE have any PPG DDL 9300 to buy or know of where I can buy any? I'm getting pretty desperate because the rest of the paint job looks beautiful. Any help would be appreciated. Keith

Edited by KeithsClassic (see edit history)

When looking for obsolete things, you need to check places like ebay daily.  Right place and right time, so they say..

You missed this full gallon in mid July ...pricey, but it was probably very worth it to you. They actually had two available at one point.

You must know that there are more out there as it was popular number to keep in stock, even if you were a hobbyist and not a body shop.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/144590494329?epid=730341165&hash=item21aa43da79:g:ZbcAAOSwFWhilTa4&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAoEEUF5yCPpiqFxIa4oDQZ%2FniO1HMYm8zfWO5GTqt0J2cLzDcoByF2FSutUPHU%2FRilx7yAs%2BorVWsARJp9GNmJfT0BVH%2FR7%2BDlv9rHfLOZzZL10ZCIsPE%2FTeAp99EDpbkFP2ig0R1Csae%2Fnc%2BNBzjMVBh1FMTFi2%2BnTqP5b72F76SAYd8CPJ2AoyD07%2F6YU8tY3KNdO8JT%2BgX3llRgdAX4fE%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR66t-a_dYA

1 hour ago, KeithsClassic said:

Back in the mid 1980's I painted my car using PPG's lacquer paint - Duracryl 9300 Black. While changing a florescent light bulb I dropped it on the hood. It dented and chipped the older brittle paint. I had kept a 2/3 quart of DDL 9300 and the matching sealer all these years for just such an emergency. I gave the hood and paint to a painter who was reccomended to me. He stripped, repaired and painted the hood but didnt use the sealer. After a month small bleed through dots started to appear. They would not compound out. He used ALL THE ORIGINAL PAINT on the hood. We have tried two different reccomended blacks in an attempt to match the color. They do not match. The only option appears to be to use the original DDL 9300 Black paint. I have chased down all the current references on the internet and cannot find any DDL 9300. I'm now searching the forums and saw a thread mentioning the paint on the AACA forum. Does ANYONE have any PPG DDL 9300 to buy or know of where I can buy any? I'm getting pretty desperate because the rest of the paint job looks beautiful. Any help would be appreciated. Keith

Sounds like the primer used  caused the problem. 

• Like 2

Check around. DDL 9300 is still around there in small quantities. I have about a gallon but it's not for sale. As mentioned above eBay is a source.

One recommendation: call or email TCP Global in San Diego. They can make custom lacquer paints for any color. It will cost you, but they should be able to match DDL 9300.  They sold it before it became illegal in CA, so they should have the formula laying around. 

https://www.autocolorlibrary.com

Let us know what happens.

I have about 1/3 of a gallon of DDL-9300. It is old but not solidified.  I painted my car with it in 1982.  It is yours for free if you want it. I'm not sure if there are restrictions to ship paint.  PM me if you are interested.

IMG_0449.jpg

• Like 1

Shipping lacquer is difficult. Forms and possibly a permit is required. The USPS has a write up on it. Special packaging is required. It is considered a hazardous material.  I was lucky to fine a gallon of original 38 Studebaker Black in FL and could not find a way to get it to SC. I even asked if anyone was coming north both no luck.  Check out USPS and FEDEX web sites for shipping rules. 

dave s  

13 hours ago, rick60 said:

I have about 1/3 of a gallon of DDL-9300. It is old but not solidified.  I painted my car with it in 1982.  It is yours for free if you want it. I'm not sure if there are restrictions to ship paint.  PM me if you are interested.

IMG_0449.jpg

Keith just joined yesterday and only one (this) post.

I hope he comes back since what he needs is right here.

DDL 9300 is the Holy Grail for paint enthusiasts. I can't wait for the Picker's episode where they uncover cases of unused gallons (yeah, right!).

What's funny is that I used DDL 9300 because it was the cheapest  color PPG offered. 

Keith, grab whatever, whenever you can.

I have restored two antique cars       31 and 36  Plymouth     I used that PPG black.      you mention SEALER   not sure what you mean     I stripped the old paint off,,,think I used etching and some kind of a high build primer...are you saying he did the job without the primer ?   sorry to here that !!!!  this was  maybe 30 years ago  had no issues with the 31   got a few areas of checking on 36 which I will fix with the paint I still have    for the hobbyist  that stuff is the best     I am in NJ  and was told it is unlawful  to sell it in my state   the one problem I am having is that I get swirls after buffing  no matter what I do    thought I would try using past wax !!!!

Edited by broker-len (see edit history)

On 8/29/2022 at 3:21 PM, 1937hd45 said:

Sounds like the primer used  caused the problem. 

Or the lack of using the sealer. But, water under the bridge at this point.;)

4 hours ago, broker-len said:

you mention SEALER   not sure what you mean 

Sealer is a not sanded coat between the perfect primer (i.e. ready to paint) and the top coat. The purpose is twofold, increase adhesion and color hold out. Color hold out is because the sealer is ONE color all over the part or car top be painted. The color of the primer or sealer is visible through the top coat, so if the primer is ready to paint but shows light/dark/other color primer spots then the top coat will be shaded and not uniform. I always used sealer to insure great looking top coats. If one used primer for this purpose, it would need to be sanded, thereby possibly raining the uneven color issue again. Waste of time and product. Yes, some primers can be thinned to be used as sealers, follow manufacturers instructions.

Swirls in lacquer? Corn Starch! ;)

Edited by Frank DuVal (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

On 8/29/2022 at 2:07 PM, KeithsClassic said:

I have a gallon of unused black lacquer I bought from another collector when I was thinking of touching up my car.  Instead, I repainted the whole car in basecoat/clearcoat.  Have no idea if it is 9300 though.  I don't think anything is marked on the can, but I am willing to go look.  I always thought black lacquer was black lacquer.

1 hour ago, 28 Chrysler said:

Sealer will keep things like the colored body filler hardener from bleeding through. I have never seen it in black only in the light colors.

I have 3 1/2 gallons of DDL-9300 hidden away, I might trade them for a nice Packard.

In the newer sealers (20 years old now), DP90 is a black sealer.

as I stated    paint two cars with the PPG produce with only primer      think the paint instructions indicated that was all that was needed    30 years ago     no bleed through  no issues   only three small areas of checking       was I lucky ???   is that why I got the areas of checking ???   paint cracked and seemed to rise up from steel   maybe chip off raised area then use the glazing compound that comes in tube      wet sand and put some of the black   !!!!

To: Rick 60

Sir:  I AM VERY INTERESTED!!! THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!  I ACCEPT!  I spoke with Steve at AACA in Hershey this afternoon.  Steve has graciously offered to forward you my contact information (Email and Phone) directly to you as I cannot PM you because as a new member to the forum I cannot send PM's until I post on the forum a number of times.  As a backup to Steve's contact here is my personal email address:  kgm@proaxis.com  Please contact me directly.  I did some shipping research and you can ship the paint (up to 1 gallon) via USPS using Ground Service.  It appears FedEX and UPS also offer shipping services for paint.  All shippers have specific containment requirements.  I will happily pay whatever it takes to get the paint here in Oregon.  Keith           

15 hours ago, EmTee said:

Tell me more...

Use Corn Starch as a final rub down of the finish, after glazing compound. I learned this from my paint supplier back when I was shooting lacquer for mirror like finishes. Try it in a more hidden spot first, in case it does not work with modern paint. ;) It is very slightly abrasive.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Frank DuVal said:

Use Corn Starch as a final rub down of the finish, after glazing compound. I learned this from my paint supplier back when I was shooting lacquer for mirror like finishes. Try it in a more hidden spot first, in case it does not work with modern paint. ;) It is very slightly abrasive.

Ive been told corn starch or baby powder. I've never had the courage to try after all the time I put into a panel to get to that point.

And thinned alkyd enamel with white gasoline! aka unleaded aka Amoco white gas. I never did that!