For Sale: 1969 MERCURY MARAUDER X-100 BARN FIND "N" CODE 429 - Project - $8,900 - Airport Area, Cleveland, OH - Not Mine - This posting has been deleted by its author. 8-14-2022 -SOLD!!!

For Sale: 1969 MERCURY MARAUDER X-100 BARN FIND "N" CODE 429 - Project - $8,900 - Airport Area, Cleveland, OH - This posting has been deleted by its author. 8-14-2022 - SOLD!!!

1969 MERCURY MARAUDER X-100 BARN FIND "N" CODE 429 - cars & trucks -... (craigslist.org)
Seller's Description:

1969 Mercury Marauder X-100, Very rare car, fresh from a barn in Northern Washington state. Original paint, very rare " burnt orange" with original "Sports Tone" matte black tunnel and decklid. Very solid body has sun bleached top surfaces, and some dents along the sides from the elderly owner before being parked. Is missing the spare and jack parts. Interior is original, has the "twin comfort " seating, some wear and tear to the driver seat bolster, and some of the plastic is old, but complete and definitely usable. This has the "N" code 429 4bbl, 360HP, 10.5 C/R engine. Currently has an Edelbrock carb, I have the original, could use new tune up, parts are old. A/C was removed at some time, I have all of it in a box. Original Kelsey Hayes Shelby style alloy wheels, needs correct center caps, tires are new. Car starts, runs, drives, stops just fine. These are very rare, true full size muscle cars, you can go to cruise-ins your whole life and never see another one, let alone a survivor example like this with the awesome original patina. Price is $8900, firm, cheap for a solid, running, driving late '60s muscle car.

Copy and paste in your email: ff8e94a992e93d4abaaed86eb69f4f38@sale.craigslist.org

I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this 1969 MERCURY MARAUDER X-100 - Project.

The Standard Catalog of American Cars, 1946-1975, Edited by John Gunnell states 5,635 1969 MERCURY MARAUDER X-100 were built.

'69 MERCURY MARAUDER X-100 OH a.jpg

'69 MERCURY MARAUDER X-100 OH b.jpg

'69 MERCURY MARAUDER X-100 OH c.jpg

'69 MERCURY MARAUDER X-100 OH d.jpg

'69 MERCURY MARAUDER X-100 OH e.jpg

'69 MERCURY MARAUDER X-100 OH f.jpg

'69 MERCURY MARAUDER X-100 OH g.jpg

'69 MERCURY MARAUDER X-100 OH h.jpg

Edited by 58L-Y8
This posting has been deleted by its author. 8-14-2022 - SOLD!!! (see edit history)
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, alsancle said:

That is super cool!

When was the last time you saw one? I think the only thing that would make it better would be a four-speed.

AJ: 

Does this Marauder look familiar?  I seem to remember it was posted on here for sale when it was still in Washington State, but a search didn't turn it up.   The Standard Catalog of American Cars, 1946-1975, Edited by John Gunnell states the Marquis and X-100 both came standard with Select-Shift automatic transmission.  Fitting a four-speed would be easy enough although not a factory option.

Steve

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Does this Marauder look familiar?  I seem to remember it was posted on here for sale when it was still in Washington State,

I think it was a different model and maybe year but it was a high performance version. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 58L-Y8 said:

AJ: 

Does this Marauder look familiar?  I seem to remember it was posted on here for sale when it was still in Washington State, but a search didn't turn it up.   The Standard Catalog of American Cars, 1946-1975, Edited by John Gunnell states the Marquis and X-100 both came standard with Select-Shift automatic transmission.  Fitting a four-speed would be easy enough although not a factory option.

Steve

Yes - it is familiar - don't know about this site - but it was on Barn Finds in April...

Price was $9800, so it has come down a little....

https://barnfinds.com/rust-free-1969-mercury-marauder-x-100/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

This buttress style roof was popular with Ford at this time.  The Mustang , Cougar and maybe the Torino shared this design. It did give more visibility through the back light. The 71 Mustang had that nearly horizontal back glass that was very hard to see out of. Contemporary road testers complained about the lack of  rear visibility with the '67 '68 Mustang fastbacks. I particularly like the black treatment to the rear panels. The perfect car for a George Peppard character. A mature but still cool and capable man.

download (10).jpeg

9 hours ago, alsancle said:

When was the last time you saw one?

When I walked through my side yard this morning.

6 hours ago, TexRiv_63 said:

I have always liked these giant muscle cars, seems like a reasonable price assuming it's not from coastal northern Washington.

That might make less difference than you would think. Washington cars in general tend not to be rust buckets, although if they get buried in blackberries all bets are off. That said, I have heard that these short wheelbase fastback bodies (Marauder and Ford XL) are way more rust prone than the standard models. It might be true as mine has more than the expected amount of rust, and it has been in the dry part of Washington since at least 1972 and maybe since new. I would expect this one that is for sale to be OK, but I would look close. Washington cars are not typically salt damaged. They rust where dirt piles up and stays wet. Rear quarter panels on cars that have 2 pieces of sheet metal close together back there usually have damage because nobody cleans that out. Structural rust is relatively uncommon here. What you don't want is a vinyl top, and thankfully this car that is for sale does not have one.

8 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

The Standard Catalog of American Cars, 1946-1975, Edited by John Gunnell states the Marquis and X-100 both came standard with Select-Shift automatic transmission.  Fitting a four-speed would be easy enough although not a factory option.

Yes they came standard with automatic transmissions. I would not be quick to assume a 4 speed wasn't optional. I think I have seen one. I can't prove it. I also think I have seen three on the tree, but in a standard Marauder, no X100 package. I probably saved pictures but I have no idea where I put them. I don't think the X100 package meant much anyway. That was mainly about the wheels and a 429 engine as standard equipment. You could get those wheels on a standard Marauder for sure and probably the 429 too if you wanted. I used to think X100 got you bucket seats and a console by default, but as you can see this X100 does not have them.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, alsancle said:

That is super cool!

When was the last time you saw one? I think the only thing that would make it better would be a four-speed.

I've wanted one since 1969! A few times I found one it was always bad timing or not quick enough on the trigger. Memories of my youth as I did get to cruise in one of these with the off white buckets and console. That was in 1972. Andrew the owner traded it in on a new 1973 Mustang Mach 1. He worked at Ford Oakville plant for awhile. The X100 was a far cooler car and likely almost as fast as it had the 429 4V , 73 Mustang a 351 4 speed.

18 hours ago, Bloo said:

That might make less difference than you would think. Washington cars in general tend not to be rust buckets, although if they get buried in blackberries all bets are off.

I based my statement on a 57 Lincoln I bought out of Seattle. It was the most corroded and heavily bondo'd car I ever saw, and I'm originally from the Chicago area!

DSCF2606.JPG

• Like 1

I keep trying to look at that and remember how it is built. I'm thinking you could get your foot in there if you took the window out, but I am not sure. The scoop complicates things but it wouldn't surprise me too much if you could get that dent out. Rear axle in mine is the ubiquitous 9 inch, and I can't imagine them using anything else in 69-70. It should be easy enough to put a posi in.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)

The Standard Catalog of American Cars, 1946-1975, Edited by John Gunnell list "bucket seat with console, Marauder ($162)".   

Also, "A competition handling package, which included heavy-duty shocks and larger stabilizer bar, was a $31.10 option on the Marauder and X-100.  High performance and power transfer axles were also offered."

On 8/12/2022 at 10:00 AM, jimkf said:

As usual, all of the AC components have ended up in the trunk. I still like the car, dents and all. Might have to take a closer look since it's only a short drive from me.

Car sure has style, good luck on your inspection. 

• 58L-Y8 changed the title to For Sale: 1969 MERCURY MARAUDER X-100 BARN FIND "N" CODE 429 - Project - $8,900 - Airport Area, Cleveland, OH - Not Mine - This posting has been deleted by its author. 8-14-2022

Congratulations, iMotors!  Please keep us up to date on your progress with the car with some occasional posts and photos... 

• Like 4

• 58L-Y8 changed the title to For Sale: 1969 MERCURY MARAUDER X-100 BARN FIND "N" CODE 429 - Project - $8,900 - Airport Area, Cleveland, OH - Not Mine - This posting has been deleted by its author. 8-14-2022 -SOLD!!!

Steve,

Thanks SO much for posting. I have been looking for YEARS!!! My Aqua one had Buckets and a Console, along with Power windows. I paid $600.00 for it in 1976(I was 22). I've been missing it for many many years. Do I make this one, like that one. I don't really know...YET!!! I am going to get it home, and see what it's all about. BEST part, is NO RUST!! Thanks again for the post. It definitely found the right home!!!

steve apter

1959 Cadillac Sedan deVille 4 window sedan(Flattop)

1930 Model A Murray bodied fordor

1969 Mercury Marauder X100

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Greetings all!!

I am making some slow progress on the Marauder. Some dents removed by my paintless dent guy. Gave the left side and half of the roof a good hard buffing. I added some pinstripes, and it actually looks pretty good. The original lacquer shined up nicely. Not perfect in anyway, but definitely presentable. They are only original once!!

marauder 1.jpg

marauder 2.jpg

marauder 3.jpg

marauder 4.jpg

Edited by imotors (see edit history)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

• 9 months later...

Well, It's almost been a year that I purchased the X-100. I finally finished the outside(For now).I gave it  a Good clay barring, and an old skool wool pad on a 20 year old Black and Decker buffer.  Fresh pin stripes, and a new set of whitewalls. AND...I painted the deck in trim black, as original. I am quite pleased with the end result. Now to decide what to do about the paint. I think at least, I need to paint the hood, along with the tops of the fenders, and doors. I would like to keep it as original as possible, but I am just not a fan of the "Patina" look, as some are!  It's OK for now. Might do paintwork over the winter.

The A/C is now re-installed under the hood(all of the parts were in the trunk!). I will install the repaired condenser next week, and hopefully will have cold air?

TO BE CONTINUED........

steve apter

PXL_20230818_214904632.jpg

PXL_20230818_214941627.jpg

PXL_20230818_214948580.jpg

PXL_20230818_215008138.jpg

PXL_20230818_215027628.jpg

PXL_20230818_215045718.jpg

PXL_20230818_215036609.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I have a 380SL Mercedes with the hood and trunk in similar condition.  I was quoted $1000 to paint just the hood and it may or may not match.  I've been meaning to take it downtown to inquire about having the hood wrapped.  Might be something you would be interested in, just wrap the parts to don't look good, preserves the original paint and can be undone later. 

Shined up really nice, good looking car. 

Edited by Angelfish (see edit history)

imotors:

Thanks for updating us on your progress, the X-100 looks absolutely wonderful.  It's gratifying to see a car that was reposted on the "For sale - Not Mine" Forum find an appreciative new owner.  Continued good luck and please keep us updated.

Steve

• Like 6

6 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

imotors:

Thanks for updating us on your progress, the X-100 looks absolutely wonderful.  It's gratifying to see a car that was reposted on the "For sale - Not Mine" Forum find an appreciative new owner.  Continued good luck and please keep us updated.

Steve

Steve,

Again, I can't thank you enough for posting the ad last year. I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE this car.  It is a pleasure to own and drive. I plant to keep it for many years to come. Please keep sharing those ads!!!

Kindest personal regards

steve apter

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The more that I drive this X-100, the more that I like it. It takes me back to my 20's, when I had my Turquoise one. Wish it had Buckets. Maybe? Here are some more pics. I think it looks fantastic, compared to when I bought it. Only original once!! It's a great driver!! Thank you all for your kind words and encouragement!!

PXL_20230819_191825716(1).jpg

PXL_20230819_191846236.jpg

PXL_20230819_191858673.jpg

PXL_20230819_191916826.jpg

PXL_20230819_192008192.jpg

PXL_20230819_192049942.jpg

PXL_20230819_192110736.jpg

PXL_20230819_192118131.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1