What’s my sign worth - "Durant, A good Car"

Durant, A good Car

Got this sign from a friend that removed it from under their back porch. It was nailed up and painted to keep debris from blowing in under an old Baltimore house. It cleaned up pretty nice after removing the paint. I would like to offer them something but have no idea of the value.   

durant.jpg.e8baeabd934d011491b74f0229dd5fe6.jpgbefore

durant...jpg.0c72bda766f7dc97a4f4370cc249f1fc.jpgafter paint removal 

• Like 3

• Alex D. changed the title to What’s my sign worth, Durant, A good Car
1 hour ago, stretch cab said:

Not to go off topic but how did you strip the paint off?  Looks like you did a great job!

Klean Strip paint remover. The paint remover has no effect on the porcelain. No wire brushes or abrasives were used.

• Like 3

I've seen signs nailed up patching holes in fences, sides of buildings, roofs, and stuck into the ground making a mole-proof border around a garden plot. I've got a few that have interesting stories behind them.  The Durant signs are great - don't ever loose track of the story about their rescue.  Steve's price assessment seems about right to me.

Terry

The story is interesting and the cleanup job is impressive, but I don’t really see that affecting the price for a buyer. The sign stands on its own merits and I like it. You don’t say the size, is it 20 x 30? Larger? Smaller?

30 minutes ago, John Bloom said:

You don’t say the size, is it 20 x 30? Larger? Smaller?

Larger, the sign is 28x42. double sided.

1 hour ago, car crazy said:

I'm a buyer at $1,000 if it becomes available for sale, and can make it's way to Hershey in October.

If I had found it at a yard sale, flea market or whatever, I would consider your offer.  A gift from a friend makes it difficult to part with for now.

Edited by Alex D. (see edit history)
  • Like 6

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to What’s my sign worth - "Durant, A good Car"
2 hours ago, Alex D. said:

Larger, the sign is 28x42. double sided.

If I had found it at a yard sale, flea market or whatever, I would consider your offer.  A gift from a friend makes it difficult to part with for now.

Great piece. Keep it and always remember your friend. 

Thanks Alex. If this were in my collection it would take way more than a grand to buy it. In todays market it is better than owning stocks and will appreciate at 10 to 20% per year. In 2000 I purchased ten  porcelain dealership signs at an average of 2K each. In the past year I turned down $150 k from a dealer who you know was going to sell them with a 30-50% profit. With todays monetary policy you want goods not dollars. Sorry for the rant

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Robert G. Smits said:

Thanks Alex. If this were in my collection it would take way more than a grand to buy it. In todays market it is better than owning stocks and will appreciate at 10 to 20% per year. In 2000 I purchased ten  porcelain dealership signs at an average of 2K each. In the past year I turned down $150 k from a dealer who you know was going to sell them with a 30-50% profit. With todays monetary policy you want goods not dollars. Sorry for the rant

I agree, my estimate was for a single sided sign.  The back side looks great, you have a great friend and are a great friend so the $$$ is insignificant in comparison.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

I agree, my estimate was for a single sided sign.  The back side looks great, you have a great friend and are a great friend so the $$$ is insignificant in comparison.  

Steve this is spot on. In my disorganized assembly of collectibles, some of my prized and favorite pieces are ones that a friend gave to me because they thought I would enjoy it the most. On that note, when I’m in antique stores or searching around for this type of stuff, half the time when I buy things it’s because it’s relevant to a close car buddy of mine and I know how much they would enjoy it.  

it isn’t the cars or signs or collectibles, it is the friendships.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, John Bloom said:

Steve this is spot on. In my disorganized assembly of collectibles, some of my prized and favorite pieces are ones that a friend gave to me because they thought I would enjoy it the most. On that note, when I’m in antique stores or searching around for this type of stuff, half the time when I buy things it’s because it’s relevant to a close car buddy of mine and I know how much they would enjoy it.  

it isn’t the cars or signs or collectibles, it is the friendships.

In comparison to many, my collection is not huge but big enough.  The great joy I have is showing my collectibles to others as I have some pretty rare things.  They ALL have a story behind them and many items I have are from people such as you who have made it possible for me to temporarily own them.  I love telling people how I acquired the items and how good people in this hobby are.  Some day the items will be gone but the stories will be with me until my time is up.  Great post John.

• Like 4

Well stated gentlemen, the items are our bond , the appreciation for the art, the no longer seen font and style of lettering . It is our link to the past, and era we savor but were not around to witness in the first person.  And oh the memories , not just of the object but how it was found and transported home. ( I sat with a fairly large wood toy double deck bus on my lap on a plane ride home from England so it wouldn't get crushed , that was a 7+ hour trip) . Quantity of what we have is not the prime reason nor goal, just seeing and having it makes us feel like we did on Christmas morning when we were 7 years old. ( now that most of us can add a zero behind the 7)

I think the same may apply to those who look at the period photographs shared here on this wonderful AACA forums.

• Like 4

Some time ago my long-time buddy was given a Durant Sign from His brother and sister-in-law. Knowing that they had another, I had offered to buy the one they had left. A year or so had passed and this sign shows up at his garage as a gift for me. They said that they knew I was into old cars and that I would appreciate it. It’s not about the money, but sometimes nice to know the true value. Right now, I have it hanging in our bar room/dining room, and I love it. My wife just rolls her eyes!

• Like 1

Maybe someone ( hint   hint )  should start a "Sign's of the Times" thread ? If so requirements can be minimum such as size, material ( wood, metal, porcelain coated metal, leaded glass, cast letters etc)   No I am not going to start another thread - did so with to many already . This can include signs painted on the side of buildings if any remain. YES I have way to many ideas about everything that is interesting , usually historic and older etc.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Walt G said:

Maybe someone ( hint   hint )  should start a "Sign's of the Times" thread ? If so requirements can be minimum such as size, material ( wood, metal, porcelain coated metal, leaded glass, cast letters etc)   No I am not going to start another thread - did so with to many already . This can include signs painted on the side of buildings if any remain. YES I have way to many ideas about everything that is interesting , usually historic and older etc.

Great idea Walt! I will put this ball in motion.

• Like 1

OK, I will confirm what some of you already believe.  I am an idiot!!  Watching some of Dan Matthews auction today.  There is a sign I covet.  After watching one gallon oil cans go for $8,000 and seeing what the signs were bringing today I think the Durant sign is easily worth $2,000 if not more.  Wow, no recession among old car guys!  Auction still going...I have a certain Olds sign I am interested in but doubt it will be mine.

• Like 1

Anytime you search sign values, you have to pay attention to condition. The difference in value to certain collectors from 8.5 to 9.5 condition, is 2x the price. Of course on any given day in an auction, crazy things can happen. Durant signs aren't super common, but also not highly desirable. I think you'd get 1500-2500 in an auction for it, with the absolute max being 3-4 if the stars aligned. It's not because it's a bad sign by any stretch, it's just the big money comes out for items rated 9+ condition. 

The value it has to you because of the story is what matters. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

OK, I will confirm what some of you already believe.  I am an idiot!!  Watching some of Dan Matthews auction today.  There is a sign I covet.  After watching one gallon oil cans go for $8,000 and seeing what the signs were bringing today I think the Durant sign is easily worth $2,000 if not more.  Wow, no recession among old car guys!  Auction still going...I have a certain Olds sign I am interested in but doubt it will be mine.

A significant number of active buyers are gas and oil guys. Business has been good. When people talk about recessions and pull backs, context matters. 14 years ago the stock market was 1/4th of what it was today. A lot of people have entered the part of their life that even with pullbacks in the market, they're still WAY ahead. As that generation has gotten older, their investment strategies have changed, making them less vulnerable to big swings. I believe the market for collectibles is expanding, bringing in new money. We spend an insane amount of time bringing in and educating new clients on the market in hopes of growing the overall. Instead of the signs just traveling in a circle amongst similar collectors. 

• Like 4

Ok, my two cents from a Durant man.  I agree with Steve on his evaluation in the $500 to $700 range in the condition it is in. If it was perfect I still would not value it more than $1,000.   The Star Motors signs that are green turn up more often and are seen by Durant collectors more often and are just about in every Durant owners garage it seems. This one is the later sign for the company used in late 1929 but mostly in 1930 to 1931 when the company went out of business.  I've seen a couple at Hershey over the years but the price is ridiculous and they never sell.  Always important to put a fair price on them and get them out there in the hands of those Durant people!

1 hour ago, Durant Mike said:

Ok, my two cents from a Durant man.  I agree with Steve on his evaluation in the $500 to $700 range in the condition it is in. If it was perfect I still would not value it more than $1,000.   The Star Motors signs that are green turn up more often and are seen by Durant collectors more often and are just about in every Durant owners garage it seems. This one is the later sign for the company used in late 1929 but mostly in 1930 to 1931 when the company went out of business.  I've seen a couple at Hershey over the years but the price is ridiculous and they never sell.  Always important to put a fair price on them and get them out there in the hands of those Durant people!

If this sign was perfect, I could get 4-5k for it tomorrow. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/1/2022 at 12:34 PM, Durant Mike said:

Ok, my two cents from a Durant man.

I think this sign has a far wider appeal than Durant owners.  Like Steve M discovered if you are not monitoring the Memorabilia auctions on a day to day basis you will be shocked by the price trends.  Most sign collectors are not affected by swings in the economy and this is "disposable" money  that is being invested in a asset that has appreciated rapidly over the last 50 years.  As I mentioned in a previous thread I recently turned down $10 K for a Pontiac sign that I paid $180 for in the early 80's.  One hundred and eighty dollars in 1980 would have a purchasing power of $647 today.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/28/2022 at 10:00 PM, Alex D. said:

Durant, A good Car

Got this sign from a friend that removed it from under their back porch. It was nailed up and painted to keep debris from blowing in under an old Baltimore house. It cleaned up pretty nice after removing the paint. I would like to offer them something but have no idea of the value.   

durant.jpg.e8baeabd934d011491b74f0229dd5fe6.jpgbefore

durant...jpg.0c72bda766f7dc97a4f4370cc249f1fc.jpgafter paint removal 

this is great!!!