1959 Eldorado Biarritz

This Biarritz just sold for $410K on BaT.  Previous BaT record for a Eldorado Biarritz was $170K  It was a NICE car!!!  Is this just two bidders with too much money?  I haven't seen one sell for over $200K in quite a while.

36 minutes ago, Robert G. Smits said:

This Biarritz just sold for $410K on BaT.  Previous BaT record for a Eldorado Biarritz was $170K  It was a NICE car!!!  Is this just two bidders with too much money?  I haven't seen one sell for over $200K in quite a while.

Would you be able to afford the time it takes to post a photo of this car you are so interested in? 

1 hour ago, Robert G. Smits said:

This Biarritz just sold...

I think you forgot the link.

We'd like to admire the car too, even if it did sell

for far too much money.

Why was someone so willing to overpay?

I hope it was zeal and enthusiasm, not foolishness

with newfound money.

2 hours ago, Robert G. Smits said:

The car in question appears to be flawless (to a non 59 Cadillac expert like me) and is restored in Auction Red.  The final sales price makes sense.  

10 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

Oh, I thought the Barritz was the one with shot glasses and cigarettes in the glove box. 

No, that's the Eldorado Brougham. 

And if one sells for the same amount, all 6 of those magnetic shot glasses, cigarette case, and the other accessories better be there for that kind of $$$.   

https://www.newcadillacdatabase.org/static/CDB/Dbas_txt/Brg08.htm

Craig

Edited by 8E45E
Added link (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Even though really nice cars always bring a premium I'm not sure how the leap was made to this price.  Perhaps there is some provenance we are not aware of but generally I think land yachts of this type values have flattened due to market appeal.  I agree with the previous post that one sale does not make a trend, but my hat is off to the seller!

BAT has a flat fee over a certain price.  I think it caps at 5k.   There is no downside to making market if you happen to have a few of these in inventory, or between you and a buddy  you own a quanity.

Not saying this happened, but I think it has certainly happened in the past.

1 minute ago, Restorer32 said:

Does 2 sales make a trend?  I know of another '59 Biarritz that topped $400k at auction within the last 6-8 months.  Surprised me.

I would say yes when there are only a few dozen cars being around. Now a mustang or corvette, thats a different story.

Every collector has his own individual taste.

Reading car books from the 1970's and 1980's, I see

that the extreme fins were often regarded as a dreadful

low point in styling.  One book called such styling

"low camp."  Another opined that the 1959 Cadillac

was a "theater of the absurd on wheels."

With this Biarritz in bright red, overdone with chrome,

and a gaudy bright red and white interior, I'm inclined to

agree.  It's not in good taste, and despite what someone

was willing to pay, it looks like it's trying to "show off,"

like a showboat actor wearing a bright red suit.

When the styling itself is bold, maybe it could be toned down

with a softer color.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

Interesting story on the buyer who had a taxable income of $28K in 2015 and was a millionaire  8 months later thanks to starting multiple You Tube channels including a gaming channel.  I suspect this purchase will be written off as a business expense and be featured on his automotive channel.  In that case the more you pay the bigger the write off.  You have to admire his innovativeness.

4 minutes ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Every collector has his own individual taste.

With this Biarritz in bright red, overdone with chrome,

and a gaudy bright red and white interior, I'm inclined to

agree.  It's not in good taste, and despite what someone

was willing to pay, it looks like it's trying to "show off,"

like a showboat actor wearing a bright red suit.

In 1959, one bought a Cadillac to "show off" and tell the world that you 'made it' when the brand actually meant something.   

When I was younger, a neighbor owned a lavender (Heather) colored 1960 Biarritz convertible with the white interior, which was factory.  His wife loved the color.  Perhaps not as 'loud' as the bright red, that particular shade of lavender still stood it out from ordinary greens, blues, browns, and grays seen on other cars.

Craig

Just now, 8E45E said:

In 1959, one bought a Cadillac to "show off" and tell the world that you 'made it' when the brand actually meant something.   

I think there were many motivations for buying an

expensive car--perhaps the same then as now.

The 1959 Cadillacs certainly were noticeable;  but

in general, many families buying premium cars may have

simply wanted, quietly and conservatively, a larger car,

a better finished car, greater personalization with

paint colors and fabrics.  They didn't mean to shout out

to the world. 

I think it's only the man who doesn't have prestige 

who thinks flashiness will buy him prestige!

5 minutes ago, 8E45E said:

In 1959, one bought a Cadillac to "show off" and tell the world that you 'made it'...

Some things never change; in this case, it's still a 1959 Cadillac...

• Like 1

As I've pointed out before and what many here may not realize or understand that the cost of completely/correctly/fully/professionally restore any car similar to topic example can easily approach half a million $'s, so assuming it (= topic example) or similar car is done to even close to that extent*, +/-$400K can be seen as a relative bargain.

* OTOH, 99 out 100 cars like that (or any kind) claiming to be completely/fully restored, really just aren't and most not even close.

Edited by TTR (see edit history)