Anyone done an insurance claim on a car trailer

nick8086

11 hours ago, nick8086 said:

Should i buy it back? It is full of car parts..

Since you ask about buying the trailer back can we assume you are carrying Comprehensive coverage on the trailer?? If not you have no decision to make.

Otherwise......

It would be in your best interest to FULLY UNDERSTAND the pros and cons of letting your insurance company classify your trailer as "TOTALED" BEFORE you make your decision. Some of the pros and cons are related to how or if you can even insure the trailer going forward. Other pros & cons are related to how the title of the trailer may change and how that can impact the value of the trailer when it is sold in the future. If you live in a state that requires that the trailer undergo a periodic safety inspections, that is a whole other can of worms and potential cost to get a "Totaled" trailer back on the road.

Did the hail damage the roof of the trailer such that is now leaks water into the inside when it rains?

If the hail damage is purely cosmetic, is it really worth a whole host of potential future headaches for the $$$$ the insurance company is offering to total it?

• Like 5

What Charlier says can be true. I had a similar situation with my car & Hagerty. I worked out a deal so I did NOT get a salvage title. The reason I did it was insurance in my state would have been difficult and resale in or out of state would have been as a parts car only. Talk to the insurance company and work out a deal. In my case the estimated repair was over twice the guarantee value. I took out there 20 grand parts car and a few of the parts not really damaged. That brought the estimate down to about $9400 instead of the $15 grand value. They sent me a check and I fixed the car for about $2800. Talk to them and work out a deal if the trailer is good otherwise. 
dave s 

AA57AD1E-E331-4BA4-A0AA-60C3C1A34273.jpeg

A1C179F3-6C97-4D10-AFE7-05D664FB0E1F.jpeg

Edited by SC38dls (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Same story - different company - many years ago -

Agreed to a (slightly) lesser price,

had repairs properly and safely completed,

passed the car to folks who knew what it had been through,

replaced with another great car

As long is there is no hail damage to any of the seams, which would allow water in, I would work a repair deal with your adjuster. The hail dents do not seem too deep and many would pop out when parked in the summer sun.  I bet your adjuster would happily work out a low-ball repair rather than the hassle and paperwork involved with a total loss, salvage, title, etc.

Hail dents prevent using the trailer? 🤔

• Thanks 1

I'd answer these questions to help you decide:

What year is the trailer?  

Any other issues with it - wiring, floor etc?

What do you use it for? - is it just storage for parts or to haul them to flea markets or something else

What is the quality of that trailer compared to what you could get today?

Do you really need it?

and lastly - What will happen to your other insurance premiums if you make a claim?  

• Like 2

I inherit 6 car trailers. I only have 3 left.. This was the only one that I had insurance on..

Looks like the other  one is in use.   By my son..

I did not pay  any thing for them.. I will update after they look at it..

Not sure about the roof.. I did not take the right set of key to open it up..

I just put the current sticker on it..

ttr.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 7/1/2022 at 8:09 PM, 3macboys said:

I'd answer these questions to help you decide:

What year is the trailer?  

Any other issues with it - wiring, floor etc?

What do you use it for? - is it just storage for parts or to haul them to flea markets or something else

What is the quality of that trailer compared to what you could get today?

Do you really need it?

and lastly - What will happen to your other insurance premiums if you make a claim?  

Just to take my car to car shows.. 

2011 was the year on the trailer..

Insurance premiums  are 20 to 50 higher this year.. Just FYI..

IMG_0826.JPG

log chain.JPG

hail.jpg

Edited by nick8086 (see edit history)

I am curious as to what the insurance is on the trailer? Was it covered by your homeowners? I have a deck trailer and a box trailer and as far as I know there is no insurance on either. There was no requirement when I got tags. I asked my agent and she told me that the coverage of the trailer was from the vehicle pulling it. 

Kerry, we had a two horse with a 6 ‘ dressing room goose neck that was insured as an independent vechicle as the car coverage does not cover it when it is not attached AND in use. Parked is not covered attached or not on your car insurance. The cost was $70 a year. No deductible covered damage and theft parked or in use. I did it just as a precaution. 
dave s 

Edited by SC38dls (see edit history)

2 hours ago, TAKerry said:

I am curious as to what the insurance is on the trailer? Was it covered by your homeowners? I have a deck trailer and a box trailer and as far as I know there is no insurance on either. There was no requirement when I got tags. I asked my agent and she told me that the coverage of the trailer was from the vehicle pulling it. 

TA Kerry

The Liability coverage comes from the car pulling it.   Physical damage to the trailer comes from the Collision and Comprehensive coverage

if the trailer is endorsed onto  your car policy.   I added my aluminum car trailer onto my collector car policy.   Stated amount.

12 hours ago, TAKerry said:

No sure on this.. I just took what my dad had and changed the name to me after he past away... Not sure on the cost .. I think it was 42.00 every 6 months..

23 hours ago, TAKerry said:

Mine are construction trailers not used to haul cars. I suppose if I had one I would endorse it through my auto policy. I would imagine my general insurance has some kind of coverage on it though.

If you had purchased Collsion & Comprhensive coverage on your trailers, the declarations page would show the trailers and a premium charged for them.   A home utility trailer can be covered on your homeowners policy of it's  use  pertains to the maintenacce of your home premises.,  Your commercial trailers would be on your commercial policy..   If there is no premium charged, there is no coverage.

The way the insurance guy explained it to me was —if towing by your insured legal vehicle (meaning not exceeding weight limits) you have liability only. No collision. You have nothing if it is parked unhooked. You have no collision hooked or unhooked towing or not. If you pay for a separate policy you can insure for collision, extra liability (also covers if it unhooks while moving and damages others) and theft. This type policy would cover hail damage also. 
Hope that helps. 
dave s 

• Like 5

Do you use it enough to justify buying it back? If you'll never use it then let them have it. If you use it for shows then I'd keep it because replacing that same trailer isn't cheap.

I'm in between enclosed trailers currently so for me it's a no brainer... If it's only cosmetic damage to the top then it still serves it's intended purpose, but if there is structural damage I'd sell it. The sides look good still so the birds can deal with the top damage... ;) 

• Like 1

On 7/1/2022 at 7:33 AM, alsancle said:

I would buy it back.

10 years ago i would do this..

Today.. As a business person..

I have to deal with :

covid-19

inflation

politics

recession

retirement

downsizing

Here is the sad thing.. My dad had a network of guys to fix stuff very cheap.. I do not have this 12 years after dad past away..

On 7/1/2022 at 11:50 AM, charlier said:

Since you ask about buying the trailer back can we assume you are carrying Comprehensive coverage on the trailer?? If not you have no decision to make.

Otherwise......

It would be in your best interest to FULLY UNDERSTAND the pros and cons of letting your insurance company classify your trailer as "TOTALED" BEFORE you make your decision. Some of the pros and cons are related to how or if you can even insure the trailer going forward. Other pros & cons are related to how the title of the trailer may change and how that can impact the value of the trailer when it is sold in the future. If you live in a state that requires that the trailer undergo a periodic safety inspections, that is a whole other can of worms and potential cost to get a "Totaled" trailer back on the road.

Did the hail damage the roof of the trailer such that is now leaks water into the inside when it rains?

If the hail damage is purely cosmetic, is it really worth a whole host of potential future headaches for the $$$$ the insurance company is offering to total it?

It is  purely cosmetic. I was on site today..  

• 4 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, nick8086 said:

what is up with sales tax on a claim?

pru.jpg

Below is a list that shows which states require insurance companies to pay sales tax above and beyond the vehicle’s actual cash value.

A third party claim is a claim filed against another carrier (at fault carrier). A first party claim is a claim filed against your own carrier, regardless of fault.

On a first party claim your policy will indicate if you’re eligible for reimbursement for the sales tax after your vehicle is declared a total loss. As a matter of public policy most carriers pay for sales tax on all claims.

States requiring sales tax be paid for total loss settlements

State Citation Applies to third-party claims?
Alabama AL ADC 482-1-125-.08 No
Alaska AK Bulletin 93-8; 3 AK ADC 26.080 No
Arizona AZ ADC R20-6-801 No
Arkansas AR Rule 43-10; AR ST s 23-89-11; AR Bulletin 2-2002 No
California 10 CA ADC s2695.8 No
Colorado CO ST s10-4-639 Yes
Connecticut CT ST s38a-816 Yes
Florida FL Information Bulletin 82-224 Yes
Georgia GA ADC 120-2-54-.06 No
Hawaii HI ST s431:10C-312 No
Illinois 50 Ill. Adm. Code 919.80 No
Indiana IN Bulletin 82 Yes
Kansas KS ADC s40-1-34 Yes
Kentucky KY Bulletin 81-DM-007; 806 KAR ADC 12:095 Yes
Maine ME Bulletin 194; ME TI 24A s2907 No
Maryland MD Ins Order 11-25-80 Yes
Minnesota MN ST s72A.201 No
Mississippi MS Bulletin 2007-4 Yes
Nebraska NE Bulletin CB-49 Yes
Nevada NVADC 686A.680 No
New Jersey NJ ADC 11:3-10.4 No
New York NY Gen Counsel Op 3-12-2001 11 NYCRR 216.6 Yes
Ohio OH ADC 3901-1-54 Yes
Oklahoma OK ST T.36 s1250.8 No
Oregon OR ADC 836-080-0240 Yes
Pennsylvania 31 PA ADC s62.3 Yes
Puerto Rico Rule XLVII 7 Yes
Tennessee TN Bulletin 9-1-89 Yes
Utah UT ADC R590-190-11 Yes
Vermont VT Bulletin 58; VT ADC Ins 79-2 Yes
Virginia VA Ins Order 11607 Yes
Washington WA Bulletin 89-3; WA ADC 284-30-3907 Yes
West Virginia WV ADC 114-14-7; WV ST s33-6-33 Yes
Wisconsin 12/97 Insurance Commissioner Newsletter No
  • Thanks 1

Take the cash settlement from the insurance company and be done with it!  Hail dents don't make it perform over the road any worse, and being white in color don't make them stand out any.

Its not like you're trying to pick up ladies-of-the-night with it!!

Craig

I thought at one time you were wanting to sell it. I think I would take the ins. buyout and let them have it. You may sit for months trying to sell and then may not get what the offer is. Not to mention the pain of advertising and putting up with tire kickers, etc.

• Like 1