1912 Hudson Model 33 Touring - $35K*** REDUCED! Now $16,999

Definitely a special car...maybe the Hudson gang can weigh in on the price. 

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/d/san-rafael-rare-1912-hudson-model-33/7501198203.html

1912 Hudson Model 33 Touring, Car No. 15941

Rare 33 horsepower “Mile-A-Minute” Hudson, complete with original brass and wood accents, squeeze ball horn, and acetylene headlamps. The lever (bow and arrow shaped brass) on the steering wheel is one of the first renditions of cruise control. 6,000 of these were made in 1912: serial numbers 15001-21000. It is a right side driver, manual transmission, crank to start. (Crank can be seen on the front of the vehicle)
This classic is a rare piece of history that has been passed through the family. It was running when parked into place about 10 years ago and has been garage kept since.
The Hudson has been around for 110 years (before the DMV) and has no plates, but the DMV said to just complete a Bill of Sale and Statement of Facts form (which we will provide upon sale) and the buyer will be able to register it if they please. email: 003e3550f81739ccaaca224e6d99a792@sale.craigslist.org

100V0V_gwpuYo2OdJLz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg01616_jOy7D9PtybEz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg01212_9X5SymbX2Byz_0t20CI_600x450.jpg01212_e0RBOkmR9ETz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg00p0p_eHLJG6aRoeAz_0x20oM_600x450.jpg00N0N_jmdnQ8tqjOez_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

Edited by Leif in Calif (see edit history)
  • Like 4

Price isn't awful (in my opinion) but it should be a running car in slightly better condition to get that price.  One never knows if the reason it's NOT running was a mechanical issue, and repairs add up quickly.

Also, I'm not the expert, but I believe the "Mile a Minute" designation was for a special roadster that Hudson built at the same time, not the touring car....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, trimacar said:

Price isn't awful (in my opinion) but it should be a running car in slightly better condition to get that price.  One never knows if the reason it's NOT running was a mechanical issue, and repairs add up quickly.

Also, I'm not the expert, but I believe the "Mile a Minute" designation was for a special roadster that Hudson built at the same time, not the touring car....

Correct on the "Mile-a-Minute" terminology / model.   This car ain't one.

2 hours ago, Leif in Calif said:

The Hudson has been around for 110 years (before the DMV) and has no plates, but the DMV said to just complete a Bill of Sale and Statement of Facts form (which we will provide upon sale) and the buyer will be able to register it if they please.

LMAO! 🤣

And it's in California no less. This guy should go into standup comedy. I love the car though. Very cool.

Mile-A-Minute was a factory special Roadster,.

not just any Touring.

Trimacar is correct

My 1915 Hudson Phaeton is an exceptional car to drive.

I don't generally comment on price vs value, but believe per the asking price,

it should be a proven driver,

or at least be able to start and run

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, Leif in Calif said:

I think they need a much better explanation on why there is no title. 

True, and the more I look at the pictures, the more I think price is way too high for a non running car that needs a lot of attention….

• Like 2

• Leif in Calif changed the title to 1912 Hudson Model 33 Touring - $35K*** REDUCED! Now $23K

It's minor hassle to get a car like this in the California DMV system. You have to get paperwork from the DMV, then have the "VIN" verified by the CHP (which requires trailering it to the CHP station after you've made an appointment) and then returning to the DMV. Alternatively, you can pay a certified inspector to come out and verify it for about $150, then go back to the DMV.  

• Like 1

I will buy a car without a title with no hesitation. If its a legitimate  sale , just lost paperwork I have no problem with them. I can walk into DMV and come out with a NY registration and license plates  in 15 minutes.  Buying a car with no papers gets you some great deals!

• Like 4

I do understand a lot of people's hesitation buying cars missing current titles. Some states are nasty to deal with on those issues. California can be difficult at times, but usually can be done without a lot of problems. Perhaps New York is the same? If one knows the ropes? Asks the right questions? 

It hurts seeing this car down to this price. I wish I could consider it. I was beginning to look for something, but then got hit with a large unexpected expense. Maybe another year or two?

I have a friend with a number of late 1920s Buicks and several 1930 Cadillacs including a V16. Why don't you drive them or get them on the road? After his tirate.... he indicates he bought all of those without titles, just a bill of sale and could not get them titled in Pennsylvania. No problem in NY maybe but PA is a real pain!

I have a friend from PA that  rented a post office box in NY  for the sole purpose of registering  to  pre 1973 cars. In 1973 NY went to titles. He was easily able  to get both cars registered for the road in NY . When there is no backup paperwork (like a old signed registration or a title ) NY will give you a NON transferable registration and plates  when you leave. After the computer has had a chance  to digest what information they have (or don't have) you will get a transferable  registration in the mail.  The only stipulation  is you have to swear that you've owned the vehicle for at least one year, you need a new  insurance card, a weight slip from a scales (or documentation from a book clearly showing the weight from the year and model you wat to register, and a digital picture of the VIM #.  Its easy .  

• Leif in Calif changed the title to 1912 Hudson Model 33 Touring - $35K*** REDUCED! Now $16,999

Still for sale and now reduced to $16,999. Seems  like reality is setting in...

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/7538527349.html

current email: c5ddac9ec0f33d58b7d42949165dca83@sale.craigslist.org

• Like 2

On 8/27/2022 at 1:04 AM, wayne sheldon said:

California can be difficult at times, but usually can be done without a lot of problems.

I am in California. If you submit the title and paperwork from outside of California, then you owe almost 10% sales tax on what the paperwork (bill of sale) says that you paid for it. (that's $1000 in taxes for every $10,000 in purchase price)

However if "There is no paperwork" then you submit a Bill of Sale indicating "what you paid for it" and pay 10% sales tax on that. 

Very common that even if there is a title and paperwork it just goes into the file. . . .

Cars and trucks not running I bought a 1929 Seagrave fire truck not running. They said it ran 5 years ago. It took very little work to get running then I spent $4,800 to have a new radiator built. I live in Oregon. In 2019 I bought a used 2019 GMC pickup from a Volvo dealer off of craigslist. I was going to fly down to get it. The dealer said if I did that there would be just over $7,000 in taxes and he could have it delivered to my door for less than $1000. That was a no brainer.

• Like 1

I’ve successfully used the ‘Abandoned Vehicle’ route in Virginia to get a free & clear title.  I have a ‘46 Hudson Super Six convertible that was titled in Michigan as a 47 Commodore Eight.  It cost me $50 filing fee + state sales tax and about 3 months of working through the process.  Was done completely online.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/17/2022 at 10:20 PM, oldIHtruck said:

This guy can't make a decision unless the lady is consulted...I tried to explain its various 

pluses & minuses...A coupe that was complete and in running condition recently brought 

$13k at an auction...Still has a way to go to understand it's real value...

What a twist! Usually it's the buyer that has to talk to his wife before he can make a decision😀