AJ in the Great Race

George Cole

2 hours ago, alsancle said:

Silly me didn’t realize the topology of Duluth. It’s basically at the bottom of the mountain up against Lake superior.

14076F8F-1DB9-4BC0-947D-0633A5C3555A.jpeg

5C1F625D-671D-464D-85B5-0B0DCE304EB0.jpeg

I have driven that very road with my Pierce 12………..back in 1997!

• Like 3

So Tom and I are staying at the big Bear resort, which is about a half an hour outside of town. Except for yesterday, we are usually spread out across 2, 3, or 4  hotels.

One of the great things about the race, typical of most tours, is the camaraderie of the participants. Our replacement carburetor was identical, except for a single fitting for the vacuum line. When we went to swap the fitting over in the gas station parking lot, it was so hot the wrench crushed it. So we were on the last leg with no vacuum advance. We were able to get fittings  from two different racers last night . We will be out in the parking lot around 6 AM doing the swap. 

So we didn’t even get to the hotel to 915 last night is a fairly quick turnaround.

0DB012B0-5409-4C8A-93EF-5B4C5051B513.jpeg

• Like 9

AJ:

Although everyone thinks of the Great Race as a test of old car durability, it is more a trial of both men and machines...as much the former as the latter.  Good luck on your final stretches.  As far as we're all concerned here on the Forum, you are winners whether the race officials recognize that or not.

Steve 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

AJ, do they provide locations of gas stations with no ethanol fuel or do you have to find them yourself?  Do you only gas up at planned stops as they have them at reasonable intervals/ mileage or do you have to figure out the time lost and pit on a green light run? 
Just wondering how they can judge the range of all those different types of cars. If you have time to answer great if not no worries. 
dave s 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SC38dls said:

AJ, do they provide locations of gas stations with no ethanol fuel or do you have to find them yourself?  Do you only gas up at planned stops as they have them at reasonable intervals/ mileage or do you have to figure out the time lost and pit on a green light run? 
Just wondering how they can judge the range of all those different types of cars. If you have time to answer great if not no worries. 
dave s 

There are gas stops planned in. But they’ll tell you to fuel every chance you get.

It’s raining right now and we’re in the middle of a transit. And we stopped in fueled.

FC373C9F-44E5-4C2E-AFEF-3D186830FB44.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Too many problems with the last leg that I didn’t correctly recalculate. Otherwise we had a really good day. At least for us.

83660569-FC95-40B4-BFDF-0EFB8B831B00.jpeg

Wow, less than a minute, that would have give you a top 20 in the old days!    Keep up the good work.

On 6/18/2022 at 3:20 PM, 1937hd45 said:

That is not what John Q. Public can do as he/she sees a vehicle between Rhode Island and Fargo. 

They sell programs at every stop.   Like a circus, you need the program to know the acts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

They do sell programs at every stop. You see people walking around with them looking at the program and matching it to the car.They do sell programs at every stop. You see people walking around with them looking at the program and matching it to the car.

4680C588-37FF-4D7E-99D1-123952CE6A6A.jpeg

• Like 2

So today is the final day of the race. Starting a  little bit later, at 8:30 AM. We are position 97 today, so we don’t actually start until 9:57.  I pick up our instructions at 9:27. I’m thinking  today is only a half a day of racing, because we have the awards this afternoon.

One note on the positions. They are supposed to be randomly drawn, but there’s clearly a pattern to them. The experts are all upfront, and the rookies for the most part are in the back. This is fine with me because it shortens the day by at least an hour from the people at the start.

yesterday Tom and I were out at the car at 6 AM, driving to start location hotel at 7:15 AM, and got to our hotel last night around 8:30 PM. That is not an atypical day.

• Like 5

One of the main reasons the pro's start up front is not that they ae favorites, but that most of them have sponsors.   Commercially sponsored vehicles

paid a lot more to enter than the non sponsored ones.   Because the early arrivals in each town get more press than the back of the pack, sponsors paid to be up front.    In my 34 Ford races the Wrinkle City Racers got more attention when we were the Brawny Paper Towels car.   The in the Chrysler Airflow we were the Big Tough Brawny Towel Car.    

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm sort of laughing with these big kitchen clocks velcro'd to everyone's dashboards...they couldn't have issued a small quartz travel alarm? My two cents, to make it more challenging, they should insist the timing technology used can be no newer than the YOM.🙄

2 minutes ago, prewarnut said:

I'm sort of laughing with these big kitchen clocks velcro'd to everyone's dashboards...they couldn't have issued a small quartz travel alarm? My two cents, to make it more challenging, they should insist the timing technology used can be no newer than the YOM.🙄

With the 9" size limit in clocks it was easier to time to the 1/2, 1/4, or 1/10 of a second.   In a timed competition it's a real advantage.  In my earlier races there were no stop watches are cell phone clocks or any time/speed notes.   They made it easier over time, which made it easier for everyone to be competitive.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, alsancle said:

I believe it’s $2500 to put a corporate sponsor on the car. This is why Tom’s car doesn’t have his business name on it. He couldn’t find his wallet to pay the sponsorship fee.

AJ:

Better not let Tom see this comment before you reach the final finish line, or you may be left standing next to the road somewhere in North Dakota...

Steve

Edited by 58L-Y8
syntax corrected (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

AJ and Tom, it’s been a wonderful adventure to follow along with you guys over the past several days.  Each evening I would look to see how your day went and each morning I would look forward to your updates and where your next destination would take you.  Glad to see you had very few issues with the car too.  As you can tell from the posts, your efforts got the attention of many forum members to follow along and even attend the stop-overs to see our hero team in person.  And thanks to Paul Dobbin for inserting his experiences and knowledge to the thread.  Great job, thanks for sharing.

• Like 7

This has been a real joy to experience something thru your efforts that I will probably never get the opportunity to do. Congratulations to both of you on your navigation and driving skills to finish this race and to get a zero in a section. The updates and pictures have been great and thank you for taking the time in a demanding endurance road trip. Glad the Packard ran so well. 
dave s 

Edited by SC38dls (see edit history)
  • Like 6

I also want to thank you for taking the time out of each busy day to post updates. I think we all appreciate reading of one another's adventures and threads like this help bring us all along even if not in person. Prior to this thread I knew very little about the great race. I have learned a lot through your detailed posts.

• Like 1

AJ, I hope you and Tom are planning to drive back to Rhode Island, and keep a daily 'forum' log going, LOL. Like Terry B I have been looking at the score sheet/follow up in the evening and your posts in the morning. My day will be missing something now without that to look forward to. 

• Like 4

List of  Tom’s & AJ’s accomplishments this last week.

1: They didn’t kill each other. 
2:They are still talking to each other.

3: They drove a small stock pre war car cross country in a pounding competition.

4: They had almost no car issues……great preparation.

5: They posted to AACA and social media so we can ride along. Lots of fun!

6: They adapted to it reasonably well, quickly, and stayed within the pack on their first try. 👍

7: They are good ambassadors of pre war cars, showing you can easily drive them long distances, pushing them to the limit, and still keep it bone stock. Proving that almost any car post 1915 is just another car with reliability…….if you properly maintain them.

Bravo Boys! Well done, and an impressive accomplishment………and a great tribute to Tom and his fathers car. I show and offer both of you my respect……………at least until Pebble. 😎

• Like 15

Thank you Tom and AJ.  I haven't been this excited about a thread since Ed rehabilitated the White.  It was great to be able to ride along with the two of you. This was always on my bucket list but at 82 it has passed me by.  Are you going to do this again??? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Robert G. Smits said:

Thank you Tom and AJ.  I haven't been this excited about a thread since Ed rehabilitated the White.  It was great to be able to ride along with the two of you. This was always on my bucket list but at 82 it has passed me by.  Are you going to do this again??? 

Ed, you make a great point, actually a few good points, but your best point is that this is a bone stock prewar car.

And except for us just making boneheaded mistakes we had good scores in many of the legs. Which proves the car can do it.

Your Pierce arrow would be awesome on this event.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

AJ:

Better not let Tom see this comment before you reach the final finish line, or you may be left standing next to the road somewhere in North Dakota...

Steve

Especially since he’s paid for 95% of everything.  Although, now that I am practically an expert, I may need to get paid next time too.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3