Looking for an MG TD expert to give me some advice. (1952 specifically)

Peter I’m no expert on MG’s or any car actually but I do know if you are 6 feet tall or more and weight over 200 lbs you are not going to have an easy time getting into (if you even can) or get out of an MGTD unless you are very nimble. I had the possibility of buying one recently at a great price and there was no way I was going to fit more less be comfortable. I’ve always loved the TD’s, TC’s. 
dave s 

• Like 2

An MGA is far more friendly as far as interior space goes. All around a better car. TD's have a sort of charm as far as looks are concerned, but so do MGA's , just in a different way. TD's have a primitave , and from a parts supply situation , problematic engine , trans, rear end. Front end is nearly the same as a MGA, Just 5 lug hubs and wheels rather than 4 on an A. I have owned a TF and several A's . { and worked on quite a few T series cars back in the day } Night and day in several important ways.

I am 6 ft 2 and have lots of room in an A, quite snug in a T series.

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

We had a discussion and he has some info to help him evaluate the car. I'm looking fwd to talking more. 

Terry

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MgTFguy said:

I have a 1952 TD, and (1958 MGA, 61 Sprite, Lotus 7 Clone.....etc) 

What did you want to know about the TD?

Terry Bond was nice enough to call me. He gave me some things to look for.  

I take a look at it Thurs.

One comment above I'll have to pay close attention too... I'm curious if I fit in it. (im 6-3).

I'll post more photos Thurs.

Peter

20220517_153903.jpg

• Like 1

Nice talking with you today, Peter.   Glad I thought to refer you to Terry.  

Did you receive the contact I sent via PM on Proper Noise Restorations?  As I mentioned they are located here in Mt. Penn and all they do is restore sportscars.

Regards,

Peter J.

1 hour ago, Peter J.Heizmann said:

Nice talking with you today, Peter.   Glad I thought to refer you to Terry.  

Did you receive the contact I sent via PM on Proper Noise Restorations?  As I mentioned they are located here in Mt. Penn and all they do is restore sportscars.

Regards,

Peter J.

Got it. :)

Years ago I knew someone who had a TC. He said that the appeal of a T type was the illusion of speed because your butt was just inches off the ground.  The fact that the car took the better part of 20 seconds to reach 60 mph and had a top speed a little over 70 was of little importance in his view.

I agree about the wire wheels. Although they do have their own set of problems over bolt on wheels. At 6 foot 3 you may fit, but I somehow doubt it will be a comfortable or relaxed fit. It's a pity , even at 6 foot 2 , "only" size 10 feet and shortish legs there are several British cars I really like , but have a hard time driving for anything over a half hour or so.

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

We have a 52 TD in our stable I love driving it , Still getting bugs out . Going to change the steering wheel 17 inch to a 13 inch to give more space in the seat.   Kings32

Peter ,Look up (search) John Twist...MG or Univeristy Motors etc.

He's been.around for years, r

ran an MG shop,posted videos,wrote articals..does seminars at major meets ,on and on.

Mentioned in many mags like MG Experience...

He won't be hard to find if you make any effort at all...He is a great guy! And loves MG and other makes and knows what he is talking about..

• Like 1

Occasional forum poster Daytona now owns Abingdon Spares in CT, so if you buy be sure to consider him for parts.  

A TD is still high on my want list also.  Preferably not a project.    Having tried a couple on for size I can say a heavyset 5' 10" person fits no problem, footwells are deep.  

I think, and experts can correct me, ypu will need whitworth (sp) tools for it though, just another consideration.

While a basic set of Whitworth wrenches or sockets can help (I own a 1950TD), most every nut or bolt can be handled with a good metric set. Also, with some experimentation, you can figure out which standard sizes work instead of Whitworth. 

These are great little cars. Easy to work on. Most parts are available from a variety of vendors,except for new brake drums. Lots of NOS parts continue to pop up. Yes, they do tend to drip a little oil, which is a consequence of the design of the engine, coupled with decades of wear. An inexpensive drip pan attached to the flywheel cover usually handles that last, little, maddening drip.

would love to know how that bonnet is secured without side panels or a strap.

Personally if I were serious about a TD I would reach out to @Luv2Wrench whose fantastic TD restoration is documented in our cars and projects section.

He is considering selling it.  To me the documented journey adds value as well.

Maybe Peter is in the negotiation process and wants to lay low for s bit...