I was wondering if the term Suburban was ever used as a name for a car. Or just a way of describing a body style?

5 minutes ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

Looking at cars for sale I found a Dodge Suburban. And I was wondering if the term Suburban was ever used as a name for a car. Or just a way of describing a body style? That everyone used.

Dodge and Plymouth used the Suburban name for their station wagons.

Craig

• Like 1

Possibly the first iteration of an “SUV”, i.e. Suburban Utility Vehicle for housewives of suburbia to go shopping with, take kids to school and various sporting events/practices, etc ?

Looks like now even the high(est) end manufacturers, from Auto Union & Ferrari to Bentley & Porsche, etc cater to that apparently very popular (SUV) market.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TTR said:

Possibly the first iteration of an “SUV”, i.e. Suburban Utility Vehicle for housewives of suburbia to go shopping with, take kids to school and various sporting events/practices, etc ?

Possibly not.

Screenshot 2022-05-29 at 11-14-11 1935 Chevrolet Carryall Suburban.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to I was wondering if the term Suburban was ever used as a name for a car. Or just a way of describing a body style?

In 1920s I believe the term “suburban” was used as a body style for Cadillac: 7 passenger sedan, apparently with a dividing window. I think Lincoln used the term Berline for the same body style. The major differences were the front seat position, slightly more confortable than a limousine, and its  upholstery, that followed the same material of the back seat, so a large car to be driven also by the owner.

3A131C63-2692-430B-8465-998390966BA1.jpeg

• Like 3

It so happens that I have some stuff here where someone was casting some "Suburban" script.

(mold and cast plaster stuff)

Pretty sure its still on a shelf here somewhere if anyone is interested drop me a note.

I will answer first of the month.

These were for a 52 Plymouth I think.

003.JPG

004.JPG

005.JPG

006.JPG

• Like 3

"Suburban" was used by Pierce-Arrow to denote a limousine 1914 (at least) through 1920 in which the driver has a solid roof but his sides were open; a "vestibule suburban" indicated a fully-enclosed driver's compartment.

I had two DeSoto 8-passenger Suburbans, a 1947 and 1948, which were long-wheelbase (139.5") sedans with station wagon features:  The front seat was divided, like a two-door sedan or coupe; the center seat was also divided and was on tracks so that the center seat could be pushed fully forward against the back of the front seat, and a fold-into-floor rear seat with two seating positions.  There was no divider to the trunk, which had a varnished wooden floor with stainless runners.  And there was a rack on the roof.  Although these were 6-cylinder cars, all other driveline components (brakes, suspension) were Chrysler 8-cylinder.  A previous owner had outfitted the 1947 with the fastest differential available (3.36) for Chrysler 8-cyl 3-window coupes.  Standard Suburban ratios were, I believe, 3.9 and 4.1, although the latter was more common. The 3.36 made for great cruising speeds and I drove it cross-country twice, although I had to start in low range and shift to high range if I wanted to beat a snail from the stop light.

Edited by Grimy
fix typo (see edit history)
  • Like 5

HH Babcock also used the term for their estate car according to Coachbuilt.com and were supplied to several auto makers of the time.

H.H. Babcock Body Co., H.H. Babcock Carriage Co., H.H. Babcock & Sons, Henry H. Babcock - Coachbuilt.com

In addition to their production automotive bodies, Babcock maintained a small business in building Suburbans or woody wagon bodies as we know them today. They took out an ad in Country Life in early 1924 advertising their Estate Car. " The car, indispensable for suburban home or country club, is ideal for hunting and fishing parties, picnics and marketing. The governess' car, the servant's conveyance - a handy car for scores of purposes. For its distinctive individuality, it has been selected by the House of Morgan, of Gould, of Swift, of Hill, and scores of America's first.Estate cars were normally built on Dodge chassis and some were built using all-metal construction with elaborate cane work panels in place of the wooden ones found on regular suburban bodies.

JT Cantrell were another popular body supplier of suburban bodies.

Text from a late 1920s Cantrell ad featuring a Franklin Series 11A Station Wagon:

“Comfort convenience, and smart appearance combine to make the Cantrell Suburban Body ideal for a car for the country estate or suburban home. Numerous patented details add to its refinement and increase its practicability.

“The Cantrell Body can be supplied anywhere for the Dodge Standard Six and the Ford Chassis and, within driving distance of the factory, can also be supplied for the Buick, the Cadillac, the Chrysler and the Graham-Paige chassis.

“We shall be glad to send you upon request our folder "C" giving details and specifications.

“J.T. CANTRELL & COMPANY - makers of Suburban Bodies, Huntington, New York”

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Like 1

In 1955 as I entered grade 5, our 1 room rural school (P-9) closed and instead of walking 2 miles to that school (up hill both ways!) we were to be bussed to a 6 room school 3 miles away. There were about 10-12 kids and my Dad wangled a contract to do the bussing (2 trips, 6-7 kids per trip). He bought a 1950 era Chevrolet Suburban (he called it), but actually a Sedan Delivery like this one, built a pair of wooden bench seats to go fore/aft either side in the back, and my Mom was the driver. (Dad was working managing his own Esso Station). Not much regulation of bussing back then. The good old days!

1951 Chevrolet Sedan Delivery.jpg

A little sidebar about Suburbans. The August 2021 issue of the "Woodie Times" had an interesting article on license plates for Woodies and Suburbans. Two states, New York and Maine issued license plates for especially for Woodies and Suburbans. They started in the late '20's and ended in the "50's. In New York the plates started with a "SU" or "SUB" prefix and in Maine the plate's had a circle before the numbers, not a zero but a circle. So if you have a '20s to '50s Woodie or Suburban and you want to use New York or Maine Y.O.M. plates, the correct plate should be a hard to find Suburban plate.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JACK M said:

It so happens that I have some stuff here where someone was casting some "Suburban" script.

(mold and cast plaster stuff)

Pretty sure its still on a shelf here somewhere if anyone is interested drop me a note.

I will answer first of the month.

These were for a 52 Plymouth I think.

003.JPG

004.JPG

005.JPG

006.JPG

Jack,

I think that they fit 51-52 P22 bodies - This is my father's car and I just realized looking at the pictures that we never put the emblems back on the last time that he had it painted.  I've somewhat reformed him from modifying cars since this one, however, on the upside this is the car that got me into this world and my parents have driven it the length of Route 66, to Florida and to the east coast of Canada amongst many other trips.

Don

• Like 1

On 5/29/2022 at 8:15 AM, joe_padavano said:

Possibly not.

Screenshot 2022-05-29 at 11-14-11 1935 Chevrolet Carryall Suburban.png

So these ^^ must’ve been popular already among pre-war soccer moms. 😜

There is a 1948 Desoto Suburban currently for sale on eBay. Also I recently bought a 1941 Buick Estate Wagon in Arizona. In the glovebox was a New York State in-transit vehicle permit allowing the removal of my car from New York to Arizona in 1977. The car was described as “Sub’n”. 

• 2 weeks later...