Nice looking Packard. Odd color

a quick check indicates a lot of story about this car, supposedly a '46 Packard Clipper "Darrin" built for E Flynn and originally peach color with green interior. It later sold circa 1948 to a gent, who then resold it in '51 after which it was painted a dark color and eventually disappeared. Story suggests the '48 owner always regretted selling the car, could no longer locate it, so in 1990 had a reproduction made, and this is it. Good enough for me, the Hollywood crowd would have loved it and the story, and that is all that likely mattered to Flynn. If any of the naysayers on here lived/live in Hollywood they would know the vibe!  

Edited by Gunsmoke (see edit history)

Could those perhaps be two different Darrin bodied Packards?

In addition to the color differences the upper windshield trim looks different on both cars.

3 hours ago, GregLaR said:

Could those perhaps be two different Darrin bodied Packards?

In addition to the color differences the upper windshield trim looks different on both cars.

They are. The newer photo shows the reproduction of the original car.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, alsancle said:

Someone can correct me, but I believe that is a modern reproduction of a Darrin design that was never built or lost.

AJ:

Yes, it was written up in The Packard Cormorant years ago.  It was built as a recreation of the sole Clipper-based Darrin victoria which the fellow had owned at one time but sold and was lost.  The center diecast grille was from the original car.  The original was based on a 1941 Clipper, built for Errol Flynn 

Steve

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, 8E45E said:

What's going to happen when the original is found?

Craig

Be considered a miracle...

The original was a medium green according to the fellow who built this recreation.  The peach-color was what he had the Darrin Clipper changed to during his ownership.  Remember, when Darrin built the one based on the 1941 Clipper, there were only four door Clippers available, so the body required a good deal more custom work to make a two-door basis for a convertible.

Edited by 58L-Y8 (see edit history)

Sometime things gets lost in translation. 58L-Y8 said "The original was based on a 1941 Clipper, built for Errol Flynn". Not sure how to translate this sentence. Here is a pic of the Packard Darren Victoria of 1941, it is my understanding that this is not the Flynn car. my understanding is that Flynn may have seen the 1941 Victoria and asked for something similar based on the 1946 platform. If that is the sequence, the remaining discussion is only about the color Flynn ordered, may very well have been similar to this 1941 car"Cigarette Cream" (an Auburn color), or perhaps he did order Peach, or Green or Salmon, or......! The clearly 1946 Packard Clipper is mis-titled in many online posts as being a 1941 Packard Clipper Darren Convertible, which does not help the discussion. Here are pics of both, with the pre-war and post-war differences obvious. note title on Clipper should say 1946.

1941 Packard -Darren Victoria Custom.jpg

1941 Packard Clipper Darrin Convertible.jpg

4 hours ago, alsancle said:

They are. The newer photo shows the reproduction of the original car.

Sorry, perhaps I wasn't clear enough in my post.  I meant the two cars in which Errol Flynn appears.

The original Clipper convertible was not based on the 1941 production 180 Darrin you show.  It was based on the Clipper sedan which debuted in 1941 1/2.  Note the prewar grille.  The newer recreation is based on a 46-7, but has the prewar grille to look more like the original.

• Like 1