Need parts after being T boned at 55

Hello 

I write this from the ER. 
today I was in a collision in my 1926 dodge. I was T boned at 55 on the passenger. My injuries are minor and will heal. That is not my concern. My pride and joy hand been destroyed.  Have been working on the car every day for over a decade. I am looking for parts. Money is no object. I will find a summer job. I  located in Hamilton NY. I have hagerty. A front axle is needed. The frame appears bent. I was in the process of painting it. With nitrocellulose lacquer. I even got lead poisoning by leading and sanding the fenders. I have been very distraught. Do those of you who don’t know I try to drive this car as often as possible. I have put over 12k miles on it. I was on my way to a car show. 

thank you for your help. 

Sincerely
Matthew  

20F97894-A42A-4D55-BE3E-3EC17D18E310.jpeg

3819FD93-C1A2-412A-B36B-BA015289A87E.jpeg

Edited by Mpgp1999 (see edit history)

Hey Matt,

I am not sure how much Hagerty is giving you but maybe buy this and your back on road right away and buy back yours from hagerty and you have a project yet your still driving Dodge Brothers now. here is the link while your in the hospital recovering, Just a thought??

https://clarksville.craigslist.org/cto/d/clarksville-1927-dodge-brothers/7482011072.html

Rich

• Like 1

Matt…….it’s just a car. Your ok……NOTHING else matters. Catch your breath. Take your time. Early pre war cars like that are exceptionally difficult to fix correctly. It can be done, but it takes time. Get back on your feet……everyone here is pulling for you……and your car.

I see you are in your early 20’s. You have a lot more cars in your future. Seems like yesterday I was your age. That was about 50 pre war cars ago……….👍

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1

My folks are coming to help. I will hear from the insurance company on Monday and figure out how to get this car back on the road as quickly as possible. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, edinmass said:

Matt…….it’s just a car. Your ok……NOTHING else matters. Catch your breath. Take your time. Early pre war cars like that are exceptionally difficult to fix correctly. It can be done, but it takes time. Get back on your feet……everyone here is pulling for you……and your car.

I see you are in your early 20’s. You have a lot more cars in your future. Seems like yesterday I was your age. That was about 50 pre war cars ago……….👍

Do you know anyone who specializes in frame straightening. Most of the skills required to repair this car have gone the way of the dodo. 

That is devastating, I do know how it feels to be crashed into. At least your ok and that’s all that really matters at the end of the day. The damage looks to be quite extensive. We do have to be extra careful driving these old girls these days, traffic and people are in such a hurry now. 

Matt…..hope you are doing ok. Insurance and old cars is not straight forward. Depending on coverages, both yours and his, it’s likely you will get a check and have to move on. Agreed value policy’s are the way to go on old cars…….even then, you just get money. Good restoration shops are backed up for years right now, and that is no car that should go to a regular body shop. I understand the car is priceless to you…….but in the world of insurance it will have a number attached. And the replacement cost is probably ten times less than the repair. Maybe you can get a replacement car in better condition than what you were driving. The market on 20’s everything is very soft………Dodge included. Take a few weeks to think it through. Maybe a bigger or later car…….or possibly earlier. 

• Like 2

Hated to see this as I've followed your progress at times. I bought my car about the same age as you did though it was 50 years ago......it would devastate me to lose my car in an accident so bad. It's a wonder you weren't seriously injured....glad you're okay, but I'm afraid the insurance company would see it as a total loss. I'm not sure what the insurance company would do w/ a car like yours.....maybe you could keep it....you might talk to them. I think edinmass has a good idea; get another one in good shape w/ insurance money and maybe you could keep the wrecked one for parts, work on the old one for practice / restoration or maybe rebuild the old one (w/ frame work) into a speedster or something. So sorry this happened to you and the car.

Hey Matthew,

Sorry about the car but very glad to hear that you are OK.  I'm not far from you and would be happy to lend a hand if you need one.

Let me know if I can help.

Good Luck with your recovery.

• Like 1

Matthew,

I have a 1926  that's rough but rust free condition. No interior, half an engine, but everything else is solid and is a roller with disk wheels. Photos available upon request. Get yourself healed up and if Indiana is not too far then we can talk later.

Bill

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Sorry for the loss of your beloved Dodge. We know the pain of a departed friend. You owe it to yourself to start over with a clean original car, not crunched. You and your families safety are at stake when taking to the road. I would not trust a repaired car that was damaged this extensively. Like edinmass said the 20’s car market is soft. You will be able to find a great car for your next ride. Good luck.

• Like 1

I was a mechanic for 33 years and I understand your passion as I cannot part with my dads car that being said, I strongly think you are biting off more then you will want to do, but I appreciate your drive and ambition, there are so many 20’s DB’s out there and driveable that are I am way sure in the Insurance companies payout range, and they will gladly settle that way then dragging it out. Just my opine

I wish you luck in your endeavors moving forward and again am glad you are ok.

Regards

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ArticiferTom said:

Torches ,welder and string line and beer .. Ah the old way's .

Sounds like a plan. I will need A lot of acetylene Metal wire brazing wire and lead. I will have to get a refrigerator for the beer. 

I thought I should share with you guys some photos from the last year. Since owning this car I have put over 12,000 miles on it. Much of it was not in nice weather. 

54B94762-B953-49DE-AD29-E25532C9FE4A.jpeg

E55B3660-1260-4315-B3D6-0E1C210645BB.jpeg

4F94853B-93E9-4E69-B74D-CBCA4C89F2DD.jpeg

• Like 6

There is a 26 project car for sale up my way, I was going to go over there this morning but the latest email informed me that the car cant be moved yet and they have two other interested parties and for now its just to look and make an offer. Then they will share those offers so one could up their original offer.

I called them and bailed.

When I go shopping I bring the trailer and cash. I am not into bidding wars.

There was also an extra body that looked rough in a different barn, probably good for yard art, but there was doors and the main body.

If interested PM me and I will forward you the contact info. 

I might even be able to forward you the pics I got via email.

Located in Oregon City, OR.

I’m impressed. A young gentleman who chases his dream, works hard, and accomplishes his goals. Three thumbs up! 👍👍👍

Hard core, and living the dream. Year round transportation.  It’s obvious to me you will go far in your life. 

With age…….comes wisdom. I understand you want your car back. Maybe the best plan is purchase another car you can use right away, and buy back the wreck. Over time, you can find a parts car to work with and save your first car. Unless you have access to a full shop, it will take you years to fix the bent car. I sincerely hope it all works out well for you. If you get to southern Florida, PM me and I’ll give you a tour of our museum, and take you for a spin in an American automotive legend.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Mpgp1999 said:

I am going to look at a house next week with a barn. It will be the perfect place for an off frame restoration. 

Matt,

If you haven't started on your frame yet I've got one that you can have for free.  I'm located in Woodstock, Ontario which is roughly 2 hours from Buffalo.  If the border is an issue I might still be able to help you out.

Don 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think they are right. At least buy a new frame and then you’ll give yourself a head start on the rest of the work. Save you from buying the tools and space needed, not to mention the time, for a frame straightening. 

Edited by DB26 (see edit history)
  • Like 1