Any members near Hershey PA that can look at a car for me. It's in Halifax PA

It's the only kind I can afford.  The ones that need stuff.  Atleast I know some of the needs ahead of time.  

It's the ones that need nothing that scare me.  Those are the ones that just need that last 10 percent once you get them and that will haunt you to the grave to try to fix so they don't leave you stranded or perform like the worn out POS you weren't suppose to be buying.

Admit it,  Half of us here can name atleast one car we've had that can slide right into that category. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Did we already eliminate Cunningham?

Yes, Cunningham is eliminated……… McFarland Knickerbocker cabriolet is still on the list.

A6639A03-4D5E-47E6-80D4-2CE5CC72C0F2.png

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, K8096 said:

Lets get this narrowed down logically.   1937HD45 is on the right track.   Question number one:    In what state was the car in question built?

As a proud Hoosier, I’m cheering for an Indiana car.....  so many great options. 

1 hour ago, edinmass said:

Yes, Cunningham is eliminated……… McFarland Knickerbocker cabriolet is still on the list.

I think Ed is having as much fun as anybody! I "think" 17 inch wheels were basically confirmed (maybe I need to spend a few minutes and reread everything carefully, make notes?)?

I am sure that McFarland Knickerbocker cabriolet has wheels larger than 17 inch! I would guess they are 20 inch, but could be 19 or 21.

• Like 1

Messing with the regulars is always fun. Having been on the inside line of a couple of cars, amp down on the outside on this one just made me want to get his attention……….next time I’m sure he will keep me in the loop to avoid all the hassles. He need to get his garage done and his Auburn up and running. I want to take it for a spin. 

• Like 1

Come on if I give you the city it was built,  that would pretty much narrow it right down.  

Today's clue.  No significant structural wood in the body.  So it's not a wood frame with a tin skin. 

That's almost two clues if you analyze what I wrote. 

I must be feeling generous today. 

Now if we can drag this out to the 23rd. Rusty Tin Man will be delivering it then (if all things go as planned)  I might have some photos to share. 

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)

2 minutes ago, thehandleman said:

Dale,

I do not think Austin was made west of the Hudson River but hell I guess if you travel long enough you would get there 

lol

Thinking outside the box, as we know Randy is not a box type of a guy!

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

Have we determined this is a passenger car and not some commercial vehicle? I'm also wondering how big the pile of sales literature was that it is equal to. 

Are we talking the pile I had to sell to get it,  or the actual physical cubic space each would displace? 

34 minutes ago, auburnseeker said:

I will go as far as to say it's not an obscure Commercial vehicle.  

Feel like you are questioning a politician yet trying to get to the truth? 

PLEASE! I consider you to be a good friend, Friends don't call each other politicians! A Hump back Dodge Panel truck would be a great addition to your business. Bob 

d12.jpg

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

OK......since I am special, and know what the car is......(Yes, thats why they call me Special Ed.)..........I can confirm:

It's NOT your grandfathers Oldsmobile. 

• Haha 3

So using reverse phsychology (late father in law's favorite terms for trying to get someone to take action he wanted them to...) Ed's comment and the comments Randy made earlier are leading me back to GM.  

"Oh, not a lot of wood" or such.  Quickly one rules out GM till say 37.  I bet it's an interesting GM product now.

Marquette roadster

Not a lot of wood - speaks to Seeker's clue

Olds powered (I think) Ed's clue if tbat indeed was a clue.

But, I can't imagine AJ discussing a Marquette with Randy. Seems unlikely to me unless  the car is unusual in some way beyond being a fairly rare car.

Was any domestic manufacturer using 17" wire wheels after 1934 or '35? None that I can think of so the lack of wood has me believing it's not a GM product. Most every clue given so far would lead me down the path of a Chrysler product from the 1933-34 era. 17" wire wheels. Flathead six, hydraulic brakes on all four corners, not much wood. I think Chrysler, Plymouth, Dodge, and DeSoto have all been mentioned and denied? Well, maybe not Dodge. I need to go back and look again.

• Like 2

Ok this my end of week research guess's 😬  I as well need to read back but I am just going to throw this out there Randy ???

1933-35 Packard Twin six has 17" wire wheels

1933-36 Willys 77 has 17" Wire wheels

1932 Willys Knight model 66D Six 17" Wire wheels

1932 Rockne  17" wire wheels

That's it I am going to start drinking again, Cheers

• Haha 3

59 minutes ago, thehandleman said:

Ok this my end of week research guess's 😬  I as well need to read back but I am just going to throw this out there Randy ???

1933-35 Packard Twin six has 17" wire wheels

1933-36 Willys 77 has 17" Wire wheels

1932 Willys Knight model 66D Six 17" Wire wheels

1932 Rockne  17" wire wheels

That's it I am going to start drinking again, Cheers

Did they make a lot of the Twin Six Packard's with inline 6 flatheads? Are they Full Classics?

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)

3 hours ago, edinmass said:

How about a V 16 Caddy roadster. I can sell you one. 

What kind of Warranty you gonna give me on it? I think you are the only one I would want to fix it,  but I don't know if I can afford the shop rate, even if I show up with a few bottles of crown Royal to get on the right side of the Accounting department. 

Nope not a Marquette or a Viking.  Wouldn't both of those have had alot of wood,  or did they use more steel in the Canadian cars? 

With all that's been thrown around you are going to be disappointed to find out what it is. 

If it was a game of hand grenades I'de have some shrapnel in me but not really any direct hits that I confirmed. 

8 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

Did they make a lot of the Twin Six Packard's with inline 6 flatheads? Are they Full Classics?

It's what the Wheel book called it Unfortunately I never been on the top,only the lowly Plymouth's and Dodges, but my brother got my Dad's 37 Packard Dietrich Super 8 Convertible that's all I know about the Packard world but I was assuming Twin Six meant Twin Ignition Six like the Nash Sorry me 🤕

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, thehandleman said:

It's what the Wheel book called it Unfortunately I never been on the top,only the lowly Plymouth's and Dodges, but my brother got my Dad's 37 Packard Dietrich Super 8 Convertible that's all I know about the Packard world but I was assuming Twin Six meant Twin Ignition Six like the Nash Sorry me 🤕

No worries we won't hold a grudge, you'll just be flogged later, then we'll move on. :) 

• Haha 1