Any members near Hershey PA that can look at a car for me. It's in Halifax PA

On 5/15/2022 at 4:00 PM, thehandleman said:

Dodge Brothers ended in 1928 and I do not believe they had 17” wire wheels in 1928. Although my 1933 Dodge DP 6 had DB on all the bolt heads Walter did not waste anything still using DB bolts Five years later

lol

As we members of the Dodge Brothers Club will attest, the last Dodge Brothers was 1938.  My 32DL is officially a DB, and all the bolts are also stamped DB.  I, too, wondered if the Dodge/Dodge Brothers routine was a "dodge" by auburnseeker.  This new car must be better than the Auburn I looked at for him in central Illinois a few years ago.  I hope so, at least.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Taylormade said:

As we members of the Dodge Brothers Club will attest, the last Dodge Brothers was 1938.  My 32DL is officially a DB, and all the bolts are also stamped DB.  I, too, wondered if the Dodge/Dodge Brothers routine was a "dodge" by auburnseeker.  This new car must be better than the Auburn I looked at for him in central Illinois a few years ago.  I hope so, at least.

Thank you for confirming what I thought was correct about the Dodge Brothers last truck date. Bob 

27 minutes ago, Taylormade said:

Nope!  Dodge brothers died in 1928 when came under ownership of Mr Chrysler and yes he was no fool, he used up all the stock hardware and Parts from the sale till they ran out who wouldn’t? Good business practice, but ownership is ownership so if it says dodge brothers again Walter used the tags, name plates and parts.  but Chrysler owned it all. So therefore by Proxy it’s a Chrysler product! Lol 😂 

5 hours ago, thehandleman said:

Nope!  Dodge brothers died in 1928 when came under ownership of Mr Chrysler and yes he was no fool, he used up all the stock hardware and Parts from the sale till they ran out who wouldn’t? Good business practice, but ownership is ownership so if it says dodge brothers again Walter used the tags, name plates and parts.  but Chrysler owned it all. So therefore by Proxy it’s a Chrysler product! Lol 😂 

So, your claiming that there were enough Dodge Brothers parts available when Walter P. Chrysler bought the company that they were able to produce cars with theses parts until 1938?  The badges, parts and hardware were all already manufactured in 1927 and were used for another ten years?  All those bodies fenders, bumpers designed and built and languishing in warehouses just waiting to be used.  Chrysler continued to use the Dodge Brothers name until 1938 and it was the official name of the car.  By your reasoning a Lincoln isn't really a Lincoln because the company was bought by Ford.  Same with Cadillac and Buick and General Motors.

Just now, Taylormade said:

So, your claiming that there were enough Dodge Brothers parts available when Walter P. Chrysler bought the company that they were able to produce cars with theses parts until 1938?  The badges, parts and hardware were all already manufactured in 1927 and were used for another ten years?  All those bodies fenders, bumpers designed and built and languishing in warehouses just waiting to be used.  Chrysler continued to use the Dodge Brothers name until 1938 and it was the official name of the car.  By your reasoning a Lincoln isn't really a Lincoln because the company was bought by Ford.  Same with Cadillac and Buick and General Motors.

No! I am saying he did not throw crap away so if he had 1 million bolts and pk screws he used them till expired if they had DB stamped on them and he used the Dodge brothers name on the side of hoods and on the Truck line cause it had good bones to keep the Truck line, Just cause my 1933 Dodge DP6 Coupe has all the bottom hardware saying DB does not make it a Dodge brothers anymore It’s a 1933 Dodge made by Chrysler. Most people often associate the plymouth with Mayflower ship and yes he used it a slogan on there emblems but the name plymouth Walter Chrysler came up with was to get the Farmers to buy a Chrysler product because of the Plymouth Combine Farmers used. The Farmers could relate to the name, Walter used anything he could do to compete with Henry’s Model A Fords with a low priced car but it was all Chrysler Corporation Products. That’s what I am saying. Stop trying to read more into it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, thehandleman said:

No! I am saying he did not throw crap away so if he had 1 million bolts and pk screws he used them till expired if they had DB stamped on them and he used the Dodge brothers name on the side of hoods and on the Truck line cause it had good bones to keep the Truck line, Just cause my 1933 Dodge DP6 Coupe has all the bottom hardware saying DB does not make it a Dodge brothers anymore It’s a 1933 Dodge made by Chrysler. Most people often associate the plymouth with Mayflower ship and yes he used it a slogan on there emblems but the name plymouth Walter Chrysler came up with was to get the Farmers to buy a Chrysler product because of the Plymouth Combine Farmers used. The Farmers could relate to the name, Walter used anything he could do to compete with Henry’s Model A Fords with a low priced car but it was all Chrysler Corporation Products. That’s what I am saying. Stop trying to read more into it.

Whatever he saved on using  existing stock he must have lost on printing all the manuals and sales brochures years in advance. 

s-l1600 (2).jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

Again Tagging a name to keep and bring in old and new customers is and was a Great marketing Scheme, but they were Dodge under name of Chrysler Corporation, and not talking the Truck line, that went on much longer but on cars I believe they weened the car name Dodge Brothers off by late 32 ?  My 33 manual says Dodge.  Whatever I give up I cannot get my point across it was marketing Scheme. to sell more cars, Just like the Emblems would say Dodge Brothers even well after 32 and up but still it was a Dodge under Chrysler Corp.

That's it!  I am bailing, next we will start on Door handles lets see how much you know about those "COME ON MAN!!!!"   LOL have a good night.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, thehandleman said:

That's it!  I am bailing, next we will start on Door handles lets see how much you know about those "COME ON MAN!!!!"   LOL have a good night.

Doorhandles, Is that story about Auburn and Hupmobile using the same handles because one of the two ran out and borrowed or bought 200 to keep the line rolling? 

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)

Ya'll opened a can of worms now. 

For trucks only - I believe the proper way to describe it is just like the ID data plates suggested. 

"Dodge Brothers made by Graham Brothers a division of Chrysler Corp."

Or

"Made by Graham Brothers a division of Dodge Brothers Corp."

It does depend on which years you're talking about. 

The DB, GB and Chrysler transition years has so many layers to it that I think you're both right and this is one topic that will forever be debated because of many factors such as lost history, destroyed documents, missing original literature plus so many hodge podge undocumented vehicles passed down from generation to generation "claiming" to be original that we are left to figure it out and when they are missing data plates it's extremely difficult for all parties to agree on the outcome or correct labeling. 

When Chrysler took over, they sent dealers confidential bulletins and other materials as they (dealers) were instructed to begin phasing out the Graham Brothers name starting around January of 1929 (1929 model year), things like changing badges, hubcaps etc. GB was still listed on some name plates until 1938 on some trucks, I'll post the data plate if I find it again, for now, I realize it's just my BS that you'll have to trust. Question is, why would they have the name Graham Brothers on anything after the phasing out process? Things like this only add to the confusion. I know the plates weren't made years in advance as the style and size of the plate (and location of the plate on vehicle) changed. Point being, they didn't always use up old parts, the parent company used some old parts (true) but they also had new parts made with the division labeling as the transition of the buyout progressed over the years. 

image.jpeg.8cd0e2dffae9c7d582363be490f324f4.jpeg

2001215572_Caution4460lbs.jpg.5c8cb19f2b079a76c15e78dbe87d7087.jpg

My way of thinking is, it's no different than saying Made by Mercury, a Ford Motor Company or "A division of Ford". Obviously, it's hard to separate Mercury from Ford for most of us now but remember, they all had different patents and corporate governance rules that determined some of this type of confusing labeling for the consumer down the road, and again, don't forget about the tools and dies and stock that came with each buyout. 

In the end it's simple. They are all divisions of the parent company no matter who the main company is/was (Ford,Chrysler etc) and continues today. 

I have never seen a current 2022 Dodge Challenger ID tag but, I would bet it has Dodge a division of FCA on it somewhere or something similar at the very minimum. 

Sorry for the rabbit hole Randy.

Now, how about some pics of that Plymouth/Chrysler/Fiat thingy magigger?

I'm guessing this is the reason you bought it ;) 

image.png.3d3bcf1dcb1645a9235b078e4fa3c15a.png

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Like 2

This is a 1937 Dodge Brothers radiator cover badge.  It was not designed and manufactured before or during 1928.

1937 Dodge Brothers | Dodge, Desoto cars, Car emblem

In 1939 the Cars were now always referred to as Dodge cars and the Brothers was dropped from the name.  This is a 1939 badge.

Dodge%2Btrunk%2Blid%2Bemblem%2B1939.jpg

You can find some earlier badges where the Brothers does not appear, but in all literature and manuals the cars are refereed to as Dodge Brothers.  The reason our club is called the Dodge Brothers Club is it only allows cars from 1938 and back to be included in the club.  And by the way handleman, do you have a good window crank for my 1932 Dodge Brothers DL sedan?  I only need one.

1944809084_whandle.jpg.79c6588c2a093ab28d9abb1b59611750.jpg

• Like 1

On 5/20/2022 at 6:07 AM, 30DodgePanel said:

Now, how about some pics of that Plymouth/Chrysler/Fiat thingy magigger?

Still waiting for it to be delivered.  Suppose to be here Monday.  2 days to go.  I have to Fire the Brockway up and move it out to the big garage to clear up space in the small garage for it. 

• Like 1

Look what I found four miles from my house in Massachuetts ………… the kind of car you dream about.

B23A5909-6782-484B-9961-4B9F988D0C97.jpeg

55733ECA-7914-4E26-AF55-9C85F284F039.jpeg

F8364BED-C158-48AD-A96B-FE12AA4D2C61.jpeg

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Look what I found four miles from my house in Massachuetts ………… the kind of car you dream about.

That really is a good looking car. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Everyone drools over finding that car just how it sits. But if it was listed for sale, people would say seller did not even wash it or push it outside.😀

• Haha 1

I found a Plymouth Coupe just like that one standing on line at the bank. Had a Hemmings sweatshirt on, guy behind me said to his wife, "Hemmings, we should advertise the Coupe there". Stalled restoration and all blown apart, took several trips to collect everything. Body was off the frame, I put it back on all by myself with one floor jack and blocking. 

• Like 2

Well not one you might dream about Ed,  but some guys do.  While I don't dream about a find like that,  It is nice to find. 

I recall in my early teens when anything with chrome and older than me,  especially older than the 60's was a find, regardless of what pile of rust it might be and how I would dream about how I could make it look good again. (learned alot since then)  We would walk all over in the woods looking for some car someone told us about.  Never turned out to be anything great but the thrill of the hunt and once in a great while a souvenir or two were reward enough.  Hell I would still go today to look for one,  knowing it would be nothing but a pile but still neat to see.  

So did you buy it yet Ed? 

Auction is this Saturday coming up…….don’t cheap out, pry your wallet open with a crow bar……..let all the moths fly out……..and spend a little! 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, auburnseeker said:

I already blew my Wadd.  It's your turn. 

Randy……that was for AJ……not you. 😝

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Like I said.

Do you know what it ended up selling for?

It sells this Saturday……no reserve.

• Like 1

Ahh yes, that moment of "haven't had enough coffee yet" followed by "where am I going to put all this stuff" followed by "all this work better be worth it" followed by excitement and adrenaline that make it all worth it. 

2 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

Coupe? I thought it was a Four Door.

Nope....it's a coop, as in chicken........just one door. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I always wanted one of those Isettas. When I was little (probably about 1958?), mom and I would walk with my littler brother in a stroller to the stores about ten blocks from home. There was a small empty lot behind a fence between two stores in that shopping district. Peeking through the fence, I could see two Isettas among the weeds and trash.  I thought they were cute, and that front door with the steering wheel on it simply fascinated my young mind!

I await photos of the new Plymouth!