Jim Taylor's Collection Being Sold

Avanti Bill

On 4/26/2022 at 11:37 AM, Bhigdog said:

Amazing collection.

But I can't help but wonder........Why? At what point do you say enough is enough? At what point does the too much of a good thing kick in?

When you can have any material thing you desire what's the point of desire.

Being filthy rich must really suck............Bob

I'd like to try that for awhile. Being filthy rich. One thing I noticed about filthy rich people, very few of them decide that lifestyle sucks and give it all away for a lifetime of poverty.

That's the big difference. if you don't like being rich it easy to become poor. Not so easy to being poor and decide to be rich!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Ed Luddy said:

very few of them decide that lifestyle sucks and give it all away for a lifetime of poverty.

Actually many of them do give sizeable portions of their wealth away. Perhaps not dressing in sack cloth and ashes but still to help where they think they can. Good on them...........Bob

• Like 3

3 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

I'll never understand the logic of the people that enjoy pissing on "rich" people, and don't spend any time with them. Everyone that has posted a positive reply before me is a personal friend, most I've met in person many years ago and enjoy having them as a friend. 

Bob 

Bob,   I seem to have friends up and down the food chain.  Must be because I'm such a great guy.   Anyways  the ratio of pricks is pretty consistent regardless of net worth.   Wealthy people sometimes are a bit detached from every day reality experienced by "regular folk" but not necessarily because they are pricks.   On the other hand,  guys at the other end of the spectrum have a different set of issues.

• Like 4

This subject comes up at least once a year,  and I always say the same thing.  I can think of about 2 dozen wealthy guys I know well enough to know how they started.   And by wealthy,  I mean at least book a private jet if they need to, if not outright own one.   

Every single one of those guys started out broke with one single exception.    3 of them literally started with a shovel in their hands.  

I also know some guys that have done really well but not necessarily private jet well that started with zero.

The common dominator with every single guy is that they worked their asses off and had a decent amount of luck.  7 days a week,  10 hours a day and a lot of the time without pay.   

• Like 8

7 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

I'll never understand the logic of the people that enjoy pissing on "rich" people, and don't spend any time with them. Everyone that has posted a positive reply before me is a personal friend, most I've met in person many years ago and enjoy having them as a friend. 

Bob 

I don't generally disparage rich, old car guys. Often there are things I would do differently if I was in their shoes, but that isn't the important point. 

In fact I am sometimes jealous of the wealthy. Not so much because of their wealth / trappings of the rich, but rather for the ability to get down and get things done.

I have a few friends that are by anyone's measure quite well off. And they make that fact work for them. Basic building blocks that I have literally been pouring blood , sweat and tears into for decades now, were put in place within a period of a couple of years. And on with their program in whatever direction they choose.  

AJ, things might be a bit different in Canada. The wealthy people I know definitely do work hard, and always have as far as I can remember. But nearly every one in my circle started out with quite a bit of a advantage . A self made fortune is in theory possible, but man , there is so much capital from outside the country in this area that anyone of even significantly than better means is just submerged .

It's not necessarily the cars that are the big cost to this hobby. It's all the other stuff that stop many of us in our tracks, and reduce progress to a glacial pace. 

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, alsancle said:

The common dominator with every single guy is that they worked their asses off and had a decent amount of luck.  7 days a week,  10 hours a day and a lot of the time without pay.   

I disagree that they did not get something out of working that long and hard.   Perhaps not actual cash-in-hand by the end of the day, but a tangible asset of some kind that either paid off, or got invested or sold to make up for no income for the time worked.  Unfortunately, what I am seeing now are a number of individuals who have been screwed out of their pensions, because the company they've put in years, perhaps decades, of hard work for goes bankrupt thanks to mismanagement after they retired.

Craig

24 minutes ago, alsancle said:

This subject comes up at least once a year,  and I always say the same thing.  I can think of about 2 dozen wealthy guys I know well enough to know how they started.   And by wealthy,  I mean at least book a private jet if they need to, if not outright own one.   

Every single one of those guys started out broke with one single exception.    3 of them literally started with a shovel in their hands.  

I also know some guys that have done really well but not necessarily private jet well that started with zero.

I just looked up Roger Penske to be sure I spelt his name correctly, it is Roger. Without asking it stated he is worth 2 Billion dollars, some may say he is a rich guy. At some time early on he gave a guy a full time job, now he has an accounting staff that writes a paycheck for all 27,000 employees. Roll model or greedy rich guy?

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)

One must remember the definition of “poor” is a net worth less than 20 million. Reality is today a “wealthy” person usually would be over 100m. The in crowd in Southern Florida means 500, and the term is Big M or “B”. It’s the B’s that get all the respect. 

23 minutes ago, 1912Staver said:

But nearly every one in my circle started out with quite a bit of a advantage . A self made fortune is in theory possible, but man , there is so much capital from outside the country in this area that anyone of even slightly than better means is just submerged .

Your personal "advantage" is that you bought your property where you are when you did.  No one can afford to buy a place where you live now!!

Craig

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, 8E45E said:

I disagree that they did not get something out of working that long and hard.   Perhaps not actual cash-in-hand by the end of the day, but a tangible asset of some kind that either paid off, or got invested or sold to make up for no income for the time worked.  Unfortunately, what I am seeing now are a number of individuals who have been screwed out of their pensions, because the company they've put in years, perhaps decades, of hard work for goes bankrupt thanks to mismanagement after they retired.

Craig

Craig,   just so I'm clear.   When you start business and have employees  you are the last guy that gets paid.    If not, you don't have employees for long.  So there are plenty of times when you don't get paid.    I have a buddy that is a multi-millionaire that I knew when he was flat broke.   All his employees made more money than him,  right up until the day he was able to sell his company.  If he didn't sell, there was years of under earning he would have never made up for.

There is not set formula to getting rich but a lot of common traits:

1.   Are you willing to bet everything you own on your idea?   Most of the guys I know took serious risk that the average guy would NEVER take.   Some of them went bankrupt early on.

2.  Are you willing (with your spouse if you have one ) to sacrifice family time?  Holidays?  Work every weekend?

3.  Can you handle tremendous stress and responsibility?    Many of your employees may be paycheck to paycheck.   You are the one that has to make sure they get paid.

4.  You still need luck,  right time, right place, etc.   

• Like 6

That's true to a point Craig. But the reality is that although the land itself is worth a reasonable amount of money, the house is , despite a decade of hard work and expense, a tear down. In fact the agent we have been recently working with stated we could sell for $100,000.00 more if the house was gone and we were just talking about an empty lot.

And in the context of South Western B.C. our place is actually worth a very ho hum amount of money. Just barely more than rock bottom for a SFD.  Yes , if we packed up and moved what would have to be a LONG WAY away we might end up with money in the bank. 

It's a nice lot, but really needs a new house.  A built by Farmers, Farm house after 80 + years in the rain forest isn't too much to write home about. 

For us to build even a very modest new house is going to be something like $500,000.00 or more these days. Just not in the cards. Nor is a move outside of S.W. British Columbia.

And every week a place in my area sells for 1, 2, 3, million and well up, more than my place is worth. So someone is buying. Just not generally people who earn their living in Canada. 

Canada has a program to attract Investor Immigrants. It has been a roaring success. Tens of thousands of wealthy newcomers have  bought up or invested in pretty much every business opportunity you can imagine. It's a pretty simple concept. Make a minimum required investment and put a few Canadians to work for several years. In return the Investor gets a Canadian Passport. Then sell the business to the next fellow countryman in line, rinse repeat. In the mean time the older generation , wife and children become Canadians, have no declared income , and put family money to work in the incredible bubble that is the Canadian real estate market. Head of household goes back home to a very low tax environment and resumes previous career. Canadian tax man gets diddley.  Local properties are sold off one by one when the price goes up enough. As they are all owned by the extended family , only one property at a time , by each individual family member at the time of sale it is considered their principal residence and exempt from any tax on the profit from the transaction.  Millions upon Millions , all tax free. 

Revenue Canada { our IRS } even went so far as to release a report where they found it very irregular that Vancouver's West side had some of the most expensive property in North America , but when income declarations were examined one could conclude that you were talking about the Downtown East Side , where a huge number of residents are either mental health suffers , drug addicts or as often as not both. Average earners never get beyond just making ends meet in this sort of situation.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, edinmass said:

One must remember the definition of “poor” is a net worth less than 20 million. Reality is today a “wealthy” person usually would be over 100m. The in crowd in Southern Florida means 500, and the term is Big M or “B”. It’s the B’s that get all the respect. 

The problem I have with this statement is that ALL people have a right to respect if they earn it, regardless of the size of their bank account. I have no need for someone that looks down on a person simply because they dont belong to the same country club. The way I see it, we are all breathing the same air and share the same fate. I am one of those poor slobs that has to get up and go to work everyday and with my hands none the less. I get to come home to a very nice house in pretty nice neighborhood. Albeit I am usually dirty, sweaty and grimy by the end of the day. 

To get back on track, I know of Taylor Made golf products, interesting this is the guy that had that. I thought maybe it was the insurance guy when I first read the name.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, alsancle said:

Craig,   just so I'm clear.   When you start business and have employees  you are the last guy that gets paid.    If not, you don't have employees for long.  So there are plenty of times when you don't get paid.    I have a buddy that is a multi-millionaire that I knew when he was flat broke.   All his employees made more money than him,  right up until the day he was able to sell his company.  If he didn't sell, there was years of under earning he would have never made up for.

There is not set formula to getting rich but a lot of common traits:

1.   Are you willing to bet everything you own on your idea?   Most of the guys I know took serious risk that the average guy would NEVER take.   Some of them went bankrupt early on.

2.  Are you willing (with your spouse if you have one ) to sacrifice family time?  Holidays?  Work every weekend?

3.  Can you handle tremendous stress and responsibility?    Many of your employees may be paycheck to paycheck.   You are the one that has to make sure they get paid.

4.  You still need luck,  right time, right place, etc.   

Those who start a business usually have a firm goal in mind that they are going to succeed.  True, there are aches and pains along the way; especially if they did not buy an established turnkey business.  Nine times out of ten, they are friendly with their banker, and their banker is friendly with them when it comes to extending a line-of-credit to keep operating while in a deficit state, until over the hump.  Too late for me to consider that one now that I'm in my sixties and getting close to retirement!!!

Craig

45 minutes ago, TAKerry said:

The problem I have with this statement is that ALL people have a right to respect if they earn it, regardless of the size of their bank account. I have no need for someone that looks down on a person simply because they dont belong to the same country club. The way I see it, we are all breathing the same air and share the same fate. I am one of those poor slobs that has to get up and go to work everyday and with my hands none the less. I get to come home to a very nice house in pretty nice neighborhood. Albeit I am usually dirty, sweaty and grimy by the end of the day. 

To get back on track, I know of Taylor Made golf products, interesting this is the guy that had that. I thought maybe it was the insurance guy when I first read the name.

No one made any comments about work or respect. ANY job deserves respect. People in the service industry work incredibly hard, and often for low wages. I know several people with four year degrees who prefer to work in the restaurant industry as servers......they like the work. It's certainly better than hating your job. No one is better than anyone else. I would say 95 percent of the wealthy people I interact with are down to earth, kind and decent people. Recently I met one of the biggest "new" players in the car world at Amelia. Someone everyone here is familiar with. He was 100 percent pure jerk. Started with nothing, and is now a "B". He should know better........and he wonders why his cars never win anything. I have a five year degree, and I'm a car mechanic. I too get dirty, burned, cut, banged up, ect........... no shame in it. Last fall I was at a high end restaurant on Palm Beach waiting for my car at the valet stand. I was wearing my blues.......my shop uniform with a car logo on it. Four guys came out of the restaurant all looking like Biff and the gang in their Italian loafers and Gucci gold. One hands me his valet ticket and says it's the XKE, can you drive a stick? And I responded without missing a beat, sure but I don't drive post war trash........I was driving a Duesenberg three hours ago. I'm not the valet.   His buddies burst out laughing, and then the valet pulled up my 17 year old Ford Focus and I drove away. Money doesn't make you smarter, better, or likable. In fact, most of the time it causes you as many problems as it solves. I clearly remember the days where I wished I had a thousand dollars in the bank.........I thought my life would be so much better. Money is a tool. If you don't use it wisely it's dangerous to you and those around you. I find the more I forget about it and ignore it, the more I accumulate. Respect it, but consume it, or you may as well not have it. And.......if you love money, you will eventually learn it doesn't love you back. 

• Like 6

14 hours ago, edinmass said:

I can't believe that that beautiful area would be so crass

as constantly to measure people by their possessions.

And no wealthy person would see someone with $20,000,000

as "poor."  Besides, the high liver may be deep in debt;  and

the quiet man living modestly and shopping at the hardware

store may have plenty of assets.

A man whose car collection has been endowed with $100,000,000

invited me into his trailer at a show for a chat.  When I interviewed

him and asked what he would like to be remembered for, he

didn't mention his 200-car collection or his worldwide company.

He wanted to be remembered for being a good person.

Someone much wiser than we instructed, "God is no respecter of persons."

• Like 6

49 minutes ago, edinmass said:

No one made any comments about work or respect. ANY job deserves respect. People in the service industry work incredibly hard, and often for low wages. I know several people with four year degrees who prefer to work in the restaurant industry as servers......they like the work. It's certainly better than hating your job. No one is better than anyone else. I would say 95 percent of the wealthy people I interact with are down to earth, kind and decent people. Recently I met one of the biggest "new" players in the car world at Amelia. Someone everyone here is familiar with. He was 100 percent pure jerk. Started with nothing, and is now a "B". He should know better........and he wonders why his cars never win anything. I have a five year degree, and I'm a car mechanic. I too get dirty, burned, cut, banged up, ect........... no shame in it. Last fall I was at a high end restaurant on Palm Beach waiting for my car at the valet stand. I was wearing my blues.......my shop uniform with a car logo on it. Four guys came out of the restaurant all looking like Biff and the gang in their Italian loafers and Gucci gold. One hands me his valet ticket and says it's the XKE, can you drive a stick? And I responded without missing a beat, sure but I don't drive post war trash........I was driving a Duesenberg three hours ago. I'm not the valet.   His buddies burst out laughing, and then the valet pulled up my 17 year old Ford Focus and I drove away. Money doesn't make you smarter, better, or likable. In fact, most of the time it causes you as many problems as it solves. I clearly remember the days where I wished I had a thousand dollars in the bank.........I thought my life would be so much better. Money is a tool. If you don't use it wisely it's dangerous to you and those around you. I find the more I forget about it and ignore it, the more I accumulate. Respect it, but consume it, or you may as well not have it. And.......if you love money, you will eventually learn it doesn't love you back. 

An associates degree that took you five years to complete?

• Haha 2

58 minutes ago, edinmass said:

No one made any comments about work or respect. ANY job deserves respect. People in the service industry work incredibly hard, and often for low wages.

Many years ago at a Studebaker meet, I chatted with a groundskeeper at the meet hotel we all stayed at.  He was older, perhaps semi-retired, and appears the reason he wanted to still work was 'to feel useful'.  He was sweeping up cigarette butts and other scraps of paper near the entrances, and he did say, "if not for employees who do what I am doing, no one would stay here."   I had to admit he was correct, as first impressions are lasting, especially a place where one is going to call 'home' for a few days.

Craig

Since this train has already derailed I will share what I think of as a bit of humor. I was very active in the Kiwanis for a number of years. In fact I was the youngest president at 24, in our divisions history. Anyway, I would always wear a suit and tie when going to a meeting, and for that matter, for years whenever I went out to dinner. My father did the same and I suppose I picked that up from him. My company was renovating a large commercial building and as typical my work wear is a pair of work pants, t shirt or sweat shirt depending on the weather. I do pride myself in my appearance but one can only stay so neat and clean doing construction. One of my fellow Kiwanians worked at the facility we were remodeling. He ran into me and walked right by. I called out his name and he turned, stunned to see me standing there. He said 'Oh its you Kerry, I didnt recognize you without your regular clothes'. I responded, these ARE my regular clothes, and you are used to seeing me outside of my comfort zone. We both had a chuckle. BTW, the fellow that I am referring to has a sister that was an A list actress in Hollywood at one time. He was very proud of her and would brag (not that I would blame him) but was a real down to earth fellow.

1 hour ago, edinmass said:

I knew a man who has a high end shop and does fantastic work on all levels. He explained to me his method of allowing a future customers to actually become one. He required the prospect to visit him at his shop. Gave them the cooks tour including lunch. At the end of the day the prospective customer would ask when they could get their work done. He would tell them when he might find a spot or he delivered the news that they flunked the test. When they asked what test he simply said the A hole test and showed them the door. He never was short of work.

• Like 3

Even a bit more OT but what the Hell.

Speaking of money and class. Last Saturday our cat went missing. On Monday I found her 65 feet up a tree unable to climb down. No one could help. Cat too high and tree too dangerous to climb. We heard of a company that had a 65 foot boom truck and I called the company's owner and explained the situation and that our cat would likely die in the tree. He said "we can't have that. I'll send a crew tomorrow morning". He did not quote a price and I didn't ask.

Yesterday AM the boom truck, 2 pickups and 5 men showed up. Long story short,  after several failed attempts and two truck moves the cat was gotten down uninjured.

When they were ready to leave I asked the truck driver how I would pay. Would a bill be sent. He said there is no charge the owner was glad he could help.

Now that's Class from a moneyed person.

I gave the driver a $100 to put in the pizza fund for the company crew.........Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)
  • Like 8

We have restored 5 cars for a very wealthy fellow who has sadly aged out of the hobby.  He could afford almost any car he desired but he focused on cars that are seldom treated to full show quality professional restorations.  He would buy a car, let's say a Hudson Sedan and have us fully restore it both mechanically and cosmetically.  When finished he would play with the car a bit then usually sell it for 1/3-1/2 what he had in it. One car he sold before we finished it.  Of the 5 cars we did for him he sold 4, all at less than 1/2 what he had in them.  One car, a Hershey Senior award winner, he drove about 6 miles before selling it. Somewhere out there there are 4 owners of very well restored cars that got the deal of a lifetime. We convinced him to come with us to Hershey one year.  He had never been there. 

• Like 4

Many people restore cars because they enjoy it. It's an interesting part of the hobby. Recently a car that was done for 2004 for 300k in the restoration just sold for 100. The owner never even started it after it was delivered to his garage. 

1 hour ago, Bhigdog said:

Now that's Class from a moneyed person.

I gave the driver a $100 to put in the pizza fund for the company crew.........Bob

You need to post that story in your local newspaper, or website so that crew gets more real paying jobs. 🙂

Bob 

22 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Many people restore cars because they enjoy it. It's an interesting part of the hobby. Recently a car that was done for 2004 for 300k in the restoration just sold for 100. The owner never even started it after it was delivered to his garage. 

I guess that is no different than loosing 200k in the stock market, Vegas or any horse racing track. Shop owner & crew were happy and hopefully the new owner is as well.

Bob 

• Like 1

Not to keep dragging off topic. I worked for a very wealthy man for over a decade when I was younger and we’re still friends today. He pulled up to the shop one day in a 63 Galaxie and the next in a mint 74 Cutlass S all original. A kid there at work asked him why didn’t you buy a Ferrari or a Lambo? He replied, I buy what I like, not what others think I should like. I’ve always respected that and resembled that. That’s probably why after 26 years we’re still friends.  

Edited by BobinVirginia (see edit history)
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, alsancle said:

An associates degree that took you five years to complete?

HELL, IT TOOK ME SIX YEARS TO GET THROUGH THE THIRD GRADE.......

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

We had just moved into a house we built on acreage when a lady rode up on her horse with a plate of cookies welcoming us to the area. We had no idea who she was but there was a phone number on the bottom of the plate. We called it and asked how we could return the favor with brownies my wife made and put on the plate. The lady said she was going by our place soon and would pick it up. A very used station wagon pulled into the drive and the little old lady got out looking as someone that had been working hard. We noticed her license plate was unusual so we asked her about it. She and her husband loved Brookfield Zoo and any animal that is not adopted for upkeep they adopt. Her father started one of the largest banks in the USA. She had her 75th birthday party at the zoo and we were invited. These people have more money than I can imagine do to hard work and luck being born to the right family. They give back to not only the zoo but to schools, local food banks, the township and many other organizations. They have their named engraved in stone as major contributors to several museums in Chicago plus symphony hall and the opera house. The third and fourth generations are continuing to give like the grandparents. 
I would never call people like that filthy rich, if someone has a lot of money I am happy they can enjoy it the way they want to enjoy it. 
dave s 

• Like 1

Jeez, I sure didn't want the thread to go to a philosophical debate about wealth accumulation or the morality of different car collectors.  For what it is worth if you met Jim Taylor and didn't know him I doubt you would know he had two nickels to rub together and that is not a criticism but a compliment.  He is down to earth, loves to talk about cars, polite and articulate not the least bit flashy.  Of all the collections I have seen in my life his is the most driven and enjoyed.  As he spoke to our group about each car or group of cars it was apparent that some of the least desirable were his favorites for the story and history the car held for him.  He was on the show field the next day with one of his most valuable cars giving all of us the opportunity to see and enjoy a car most people never will see in the flesh.  I just hope he is OK and selling because it is time to move on to pursue other adventures.  

Edited by Avanti Bill (see edit history)
  • Like 6

13 minutes ago, Avanti Bill said:

Jeez, I sure didn't want the thread to go to a philosophical debate about wealth accumulation or the morality of different car collectors.  For what it is worth if you met Jim Taylor and didn't know him I doubt you would know he had two nickels to rub together and that is not a criticism but a compliment.  He is down to earth, love to talk about cars, polite and articulate not the least bit flashy.  Of all the collections I have seen in my life his is the most driven and enjoyed.  As he spoke to our group about each car or group of cars it was apparent that some of the least desirable were his favorites for the story and history the car held for him.  He was on the show field the next day with one of his most valuable cars giving all of us the opportunity to see and enjoy a car most people never will see in the flesh.  I just hope he is OK and selling because it is time to move on to pursue other adventures.  

My dream when I was young was to become the richest guy in the room but look like a hobo. I managed half of that.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

You know AJ, with your money and my brains, we should be able to get a cup of coffee at the church pantry down the street from my house. Bet we will have to wash the dishes to get the coffee! 🥴

5 minutes ago, edinmass said:

You know AJ, with your money and my brains, we should be able to get a cup of coffee at the church pantry down the street from my house. Bet we will have to wash the dishes to get the coffee! 🥴

Don’t forget good looks.

1 hour ago, Avanti Bill said:

Jeez, I sure didn't want the thread to go to a philosophical debate about wealth accumulation or the morality of different car collectors.  For what it is worth if you met Jim Taylor and didn't know him I doubt you would know he had two nickels to rub together and that is not a criticism but a compliment.  He is down to earth, love to talk about cars, polite and articulate not the least bit flashy.  Of all the collections I have seen in my life his is the most driven and enjoyed.  As he spoke to our group about each car or group of cars it was apparent that some of the least desirable were his favorites for the story and history the car held for him.  He was on the show field the next day with one of his most valuable cars giving all of us the opportunity to see and enjoy a car most people never will see in the flesh.  I just hope he is OK and selling because it is time to move on to pursue other adventures.  

The fellow that lived across the street from me growing up owned our towns first phone company. He was one of the nicest guys around. Probably in his 70's when I was a kid. His wife never drove and this guy drove a basic 4 door nova. Lived in a 1000 sf ranch house. He was worth A LOT of money, but never showed it or acted like it. 

2 hours ago, edinmass said:

Ed, If you need, I will buy you a cup of coffee if you like.  Would you like cream, sugar, or sweet & low?

• Haha 1

As part of last September's Glidden tour I took the tourists to see Jim Taylor's collection.  He was very anxious to be on hand that day and regaled both morning and afternoon groups with stories about every car.  Very personable guy and a big supporter of the Saratoga Auto museum too.  I too hope he's okay and just shifting gears.

Getting to see collections like this (of many different things) is why touring is so much fun.  Doors get opened and we get to peek inside worlds we never knew existed before they are gone.  Had the same privilege a few years ago when visiting an impressive private Edison collection in Buck's County, Pa while on a BBC brass car tour.  A year later it was all auctioned off with most of it going to the Smithsonian.

• Like 4

On 4/28/2022 at 3:35 PM, TAKerry said:

The fellow that lived across the street from me growing up owned our towns first phone company. He was one of the nicest guys around. Probably in his 70's when I was a kid. His wife never drove and this guy drove a basic 4 door nova. Lived in a 1000 sf ranch house. He was worth A LOT of money, but never showed it or acted like it. 

Same thing with an older person I knew, except he owned a lot of real estate on a busy street in Edmonton, and a successful lumber company.  At one instance, he gave one of his properties with a fully leased two-storey building on it to his daughter & son-in-law for a wedding gift.  I can't say I what his home was like as I never did see it, but his car was a basic trim level Valiant four door sedan.

Craig