First Drive of my 1912 Flanders 20 Fore Door Runabout

cudaman

A friend of mine came down on the first day of spring 2022 to help document the first drive of my 1912 Flanders 20 Runabout, see the attached video link.  All in all, it went pretty well.  I need to adjust the brakes and fix a couple of nuisance fuel drips.  Later that evening, we lit the kerosene and acetylene lamps.  One of the headlights wouldn't light, it turned out that the gas elbow at the bottom of the light was clogged, easy fix.  :)

IMG_9269.JPG

IMG_9279.JPG

IMG_9281.JPG

IMG_9284.JPG

IMG_9285.JPG

• Like 13
  • Thanks 3

Regarding the headlights, I'm using the original E&J acetylene generator and lumps of calciaum carbide to make the acetylene for the headlights.  The top tank is filled with water and the mesh basket holds the carbide lumps.  When you open the valve, water drips from the top tank into the perforated brass cup in the middle of the mesh basket, wetting the carbide and generating acetylene gas.  The gas is then fed to the headlights via brass and red rubber tubing.  Once the gas is flowing, you open the headlight doors, blow inside to dissipate the accumulated gas, then light the burners with a match or other flame.  I use one of those long nose lighters to keep my hand at a safe distance.  :)

e_and_j_carbide_basket.jpg

IMG_0200.JPG

IMG_0201.JPG

IMG_7915.JPG

Edited by cudaman (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, MikeC5 said:

Where does one get carbide?

From Thomas "Carbide" Wilson of course - sorry I couldn't resist as he was a local boy who made those lights possible.  Kidding aside it is still available:

https://www.lehmans.com/product/five-2-lb-cans-of-calcium-carbide/

Edited by 3macboys (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

I have driven my Flanders a couple more times, less than five miles each time.  I relined the grease soaked brakes with new "green gripper" linings.  I also increased the water drip rate in my acetylene generator and removed the blockage that was keeping one headlight from lighting.

20220403_185153.jpg

IMG_9252.JPG

IMG_9257.JPG

• Like 5

Such a nice car! You have done a fine job of sorting it out and getting it ready to tour again. 

Many years ago, I knew a couple different people that owned and toured with Flanders automobiles. An elderly fellow of great energy, by the name of Jack Kopp, was a longtime member of the HCCA, and had quite a number of good cars over the years. Back in the 1950s and 1960s, he and his Flanders Twenty runabout were often seen on club tours and outings! In his later years, he had an early four cylinder Studebaker, and he often toured with a four cylinder Cole. The Flanders Twenty was still in his building, needing some minor "freshening". He often talked about it and remembered it fondly, saying he needed to take care of a few things so he could drive it some more.

About ten years ago, I got a bunch of early HCCA Gazettes, mostly from the 1950s. While thumbing through them, I found a few pictures of Jack and his Flanders on club tours. He was quite a character! It was like seeing an old friend again.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

The heat wave finally broke (for now, at least), so my friend came over and we drove the Flanders again this morning.  For this test, I leaned the carburetor out some and slightly advanced the base timing, the car seemed to like the changes.  :)

• Like 7

• 1 year later...

It's been a while since I posted an update.  A few months ago the car started having difficulty climbing hills, although it would start up and run fine sitting on level ground.  After much investigation and sorting out of the fuel and ignition systems, I finally found the culprit - a broken porcelain in the #3 spark plug.  The break was on the part of the porcelain inside the cylinder, so I didn't notice it until I removed the plugs and noticed that #3 rattled when I shook it.

I removed the Bethlehem five point plugs and installed a set of Edison 13s.  The car is again running normally and climbs hills well.  Here are links to the the last video while the car was acting up and the next video after the plugs were replaced.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geDD4uECyME

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWLtDWcFmjA

bethlehem_plug_broken_porcelain.JPG

edison_13_plugs_01.JPG

edison_13_spark_plug01.jpg

• Like 4

That 2007 Element is the best daily driver I have ever had!  It is coming up on 190,000 miles and I fully expect it to go at least that much more.  It is a base model 2WD 5spd car, so no automatic transmission or rear differential to worry about.  :)

My 2003 just turned 242,000 miles with only basic maintaince.  If my EMF history is correct Studebaker took over EMF sometime in 1912 and rebranded the remaining cars as Studebaker 20 and 30.  Also didn't Flanders produce a big 6 cylinder car in 1912 of which there are no survivors.

6 minutes ago, Robert G. Smits said:

My 2003 just turned 242,000 miles with only basic maintaince.  If my EMF history is correct Studebaker took over EMF sometime in 1912 and rebranded the remaining cars as Studebaker 20 and 30.  Also didn't Flanders produce a big 6 cylinder car in 1912 of which there are no survivors.

I have been a bit more curious about the evolution of the early Studebaker six cylinder engine lately. I sort of lost interest when I had to sell the 1915 built series 16 Studebaker six that I had had. However, lately, one of the big antique automobile dealers has had a 1912 Everitt six cylinder touring car for sale. I believe one of the lesser known of the EMF/Studebaker group. Photos of the engine were very interesting, in that it resembled the EMF and early Studebaker four cylinder engines, and I couldn't be sure, but it appeared to be a mono-block six?. Studebaker is generally considered to have been the first mass production mono-block six. I find the relationship between Studebaker and that 1912 Everitt to be interesting. 

As for Flanders building a six? Again, I am not sure, but I seem to recall reading something about it years ago?

Thanks!  I was very lucky that the car still had its original Splitdorf Model F magneto in working condition.  I was able to find a nearly NOS correct Flanders carburetor at Hershey a couple of years back.  Members of the EMF registry (especially Daryl Kemerer) were very helpful providing the correct lamps, coil box, and floor mat.  Here are some pics of the car in its essentially finished state.  Also, many thanks to Classtique Upholstery for using my original leather seat material as patterns to make new leather seat covers.

IMG_9351.JPG

IMG_9355.JPG

IMG_9359.JPG

IMG_9360.JPG

finished_floor_mat_001.JPG

• Like 5

Bloo is correct, "fore door" means the body has a front door, kind of a new thing in 1912.  The Flanders is right hand drive and has only one door, on the side opposite from the steering wheel.  :)

1912_flanders_fore_door_roadster.jpg

• Like 1

Robert's memory appears to be correct.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flanders_Automobile_Company

The "new" Flanders Motor Company of 1912 didn't last long, because Walter Flanders was soon asked to rescue the dumpster fire that was the United States Motor Company after Ben Briscoe left.  He agreed, and started chopping away all of the non-essential makes (including Flanders), creating a much leaner and stronger Maxwell Motor Company.

Thanks bloo & cudaman for clarifying "fore door", me coming from a maritime area, I was contemplating it differentiated from "aft door", i.e. rear door, but thought that might be too obvious. Never heard the term used before, learn something new everyday.

• Like 2