Making the Case for the C4 Corvette - Redux

B Jake Moran

I think it was 3 years ago I asked about the viability of collecting, or simply enjoying, a C4 Corvette purchase. 

I appreciated the comments and discussion and I hope others did as well.  Since then, for the most part, the casual marketplace I run in has shifted from Craigslist to Facebook marketplace.  My living conditions have changed as well.  In that last incarnation of interest, I ended up purchasing a 1976 Cadillac Coupe deVille and a 1993 Polo Green Cadillac Allante, mostly because I enjoyed the Cadillac LaSalle Club and was both a CLC National member and a Iowa Regional member. 

Since that time, I divorced, sold all of my collector vehicles.  Now I generally live vicariously through others on this forum.  Their purchases and considerations - and I have purchased a nice modern home with a 2 1/2 car garage where my fiancé parks her 2020 Chevy Blazer and I park my 2021 Toyota Tundra OUTSIDE because it will not fit in the mildly shallow 2 1/2 car garage.  

In so doing, I have wrestled with purchasing a Triumph TR project car, a Volvo P1800 project car, both smaller interesting cars that can be restored in the spaces next to my partners car. 

As I often do, I browse.  And I located a local 1986 Corvette convertible with 16,000 original miles in Maroon and Grey interior, one owner, elderly grandparents had the grandson through on Facebook marketplace.  

May be an image of car

Could sell at any minute but after 5 months it remains unsold at $13,000 asking.  This was the 1st return year for the Corvette convertible in C4 form.  I guess this is a body style that most folks despise, because prices remain soft. 

If I had an honest $11,000, or close, I should be able to buy this original $34,000 car.   

This seems odd to me.  While I appreciate these are not highly collected by even Corvette fandom, what is so bad about them?  

1st of all, there are many with what is considered low mileage.  I will admit they have typical GM parts bin assembling with some interior items from the Camaro, but overall these are custom made GM cars. 

Is the styling a total dog?  

I can say I do not get excited right away by a C4 Corvette, but like many collector cars I have seen before - think 1965 Mustang,  1st gen Camaros, 1957 Chevy's (fill in the blank) I sort of look right past them.  But would ownership be different?   

If you opened the door, plopped down in that seat, and turned the key and heard a burble, then lowered the top on a nice late spring day to smell fresh cut lawns, neighbor kids playing, and headed to the bistro for supper, to get out at sunset, would it be better or worse than a different convertible?  

For a LOT less money!   It wasn't like Chevrolet and GM were trying to purposely get us to hate their flagship car, right?  

May be an image of car

I think one thing Chevy did was pour so much into a Corvette change that they always sought to run it through several years to make the change profitable.   So the C4 Corvette went on too long, and we have become too used to it.   Then the C5 Corvette yielded a totally different look and the C4 became an afterthought.  

So what is GOOD about the car and what is simply NOT GOOD?   And I am not necessarily speaking of special C4's like the 32V cars.  Let's just discuss the cars.   

i would like to hear comments.    Thank you  

19 minutes ago, B Jake Moran said:

Is the styling a total dog?  I can say I do not get excited right away by a C4 Corvette...I sort of look right past them.  But would ownership be different? 

Jake, I don't run in Corvette circles, so my thoughts

are independent as an overall hobbyist.

I think the styling is excellent!  The 1980-or-so with the

bubble rear window, and the following 4th generation,

are attractive to my eyes.  So don't let others' indifference

deter you if you end up liking the car.

From what I have heard, Triumph TR's are problematic.

Don't invite problems unless you love repairing cars.

But there are SO MANY interesting cars from which to

choose.  You say you aren't immediately enamored of 

these Corvettes.  Look into them a little bit, but you should

select a car that really appeals to you.  Don't buy something,

merely hoping you'll come to like it.  There are plenty

of mid-sized cars that should fit in your garage.  I recently

bought a 1985 Buick Riviera, which is also an affordable

model, is reliable, and is mid-sized:

IMG_2314.jpg

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

John, 

Some day I hope to meet you sir.  

I DO like the C4 Corvettes but my issue is that being a contemporary car (I'm 58 and these cars started in 1984 and went thru? 1996 or so) I have seen them so often that I need to retrain my visuals to understand if they are styled for the long run. 

The overall shape of say, the C3 Corvette is pretty much timeless, the 1968 to 1982 iteration.  Most of us love them for their fantastical styling and Chevy was able to adapt to it as they got long in the tooth.  

I personally will NEVER tire of a 1968 to 1973 Corvette, but have come to appreciate the 1974 to 1977 years when Corvette was not exactly a wow car and was beat down by emissions.  The 1978 to 1982 cars sort of reinvented the C3, and I like them but sometimes for nice ones, the pricing can reach $15,000 to $22,000.  

I often look for value and could care less about appreciation, although no one ever hopes their choices will depreciate.  I think if a fellow could buy a C4 at the right price they could wring out a whole lot of enjoyment before their kids sold them after they pass on.  

Never owned sport cars before, so last year decided to try one. I like the styling of C4 so I picked one for $2000 exactly a year ago. Car was total mess. Bubba wiring, misplaced and miswired sensors, mouse nests everywhere, wires and vac. lines chewed off. Surprisingly motor ran, but at very high idle. Not a single plastic part that wasn't broken or cracked. Upholstery was shot (mice). In 3 months and $5000 invested it is a descent vehicle. Almost all new sensors, some gaskets, new upholstery, overhauled suspensions, driveline, updated EPROM, etc I enjoyed driving it thru the summer. Have a full restoration write up on corvette forums. Kinda hard to get in and out for the old man:)

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

• Like 4

Good info here:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/car-profiles/1986-corvette-convertible-was-a-big-deal/

Interesting that all 1986 Convertibles shipped with Pace Car stickers.

Seems they are just as good as any other C4 that’s not a 1984.  The ‘84’s largely have their own set of problems.   For 1986, the heads can be an issue, the 4+3 transmissions are quirky, and it was the first year for ABS.  Other than that, just the same C4 issues like window regulators, dash displays, stereo/speakers , headlights, and water pumps seem to be the common things to see fail.  Fairly common stuff on vehicles of that age.

Well, I'm between a rock and a hard place here because I've owned a couple TR6's and I love them, but I'm a fan of C4's (although mid-years are my favorite of all the generations) and they couldn't be different cars, which you already know. 

TR's do have a deserved reputation for some weak points, but if you know where to look and what to check for, you can find sorted TR's with the weak links generally ironed out by now. Good TR's owned by competent enthusiasts are out there in droves, but there are also some real basket cases to be given a wide berth. Sound familiar? My 2nd TR had OD, and I'd never have another one without it now.   

We're I in the market for a C4, I'd be buying the best one I could afford, but not really afraid of a well cared for higher mileage one either. Aside from some of the electronics, parts are relatively cheap and easy to come by, and there is an infinite amount of club support for them. I happen to love the 32V ZR1's- I've had plenty of seat time in them and they never disappoint, but they (and the LT4 GS cars which I love as well) are in the upper end of the market obviously. I think that 16,000 miler might represent a lot of car for not a lot of money if it's in good nick. I'm probably no help though because I don't think there's a wrong choice between a TR and a C4. Buy one of each. :) 

• Like 2

C4 Corvettes are under-rated in all their forms. The later LT1 cars are a bit more civilized, but there's a sweet spot in the late '80s with the L98 and a 6-speed that can be a lot of fun for not a lot of cash. They're reliable, rugged, fun to drive, and parts are cheap and easy to find. The complaint most have--and it's justified--is ride quality of the early cars is pretty brittle. They were building cars to generate great track numbers for the car magazines but in the real world, the early C4s will rattle the teeth out of your head and knock all the plastic inside the cabin loose as well. 

But all that said, I think they're under-valued. I'd shop for a later LT1 coupe, which you should be able to pick up for the price of this early convertible. The coupes are not really a big step backwards because of the lift-off roof panels, so unless you're really dying for a full convertible the coupes offer a lot of bang for the buck. Obviously a 6-speed is preferred but an automatic Corvette is a fantastic point-and-shoot machine that's also a relaxed grand tourer. 

I'm a fan of the C4 and for the moment, they're among the biggest bargains in the old car world. I loved this 1994 Corvette just because it was one of only 91 built in Copper Metallic, making it the rarest Corvette color. I think we sold it for like $11,000. A bargain!

007.jpg

And I WILL own a 93-95 ZR-1, preferably in a weird color. If you can make the reach to a ZR-1, they appear poised for big gains in the market in the next few years and are just fantastic to drive.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mike6024 said:

It is the styling, mainly the long pointy nose that makes them undesirable.

Undesirable?  NOT !

I was not, initially, a serious fan of the "Little Red C-4 Corvette convertible, having ages-back owned and driven a 1953, and later a '63 Split window 360-Fuelie !

My late cousin owned an always garaged and extremely well maintained 1988 red C-4 convertible. Following his passing, I helped find a good home for his 1954 Oldsmobile Super 88, and tried, unsuccessfully,  to find the "right" caretaker for the C-4.

Ultimately the little red Corvette came home with me. It does not have the power, nor the panache of the C-2 or C-3.

It came to me with more than 114,xxx miles.

I have added more than an additional 40,xxx miles, driving and touring coast-to-coast-to-coast, and Trans-Canada as well.

It IS Unrestored.

It IS now, after all those miles, recognized by AACA with:

First Junior     

Senior

First Preservation

First Junior

It IS surprisingly comfortable once I get my 79 year old chassis over the extremely wide entry sill.

It IS extremely comfortable for serious cross-country driving.

It IS surprisingly simple and affordable to maintain and service.

It IS very attractive looking now that it's looks have grown on me, since beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

It IS surprisingly economical, cruising Interstate-Plus speeds, returning an average of 28 mpg on 87 octane pump gas  from the more than adequate LT-1 Chevy Small-Block.

1988 CORVETTE LEFT FRONT 2 AT LAKEFRONT.jpg

1988 CORVETTE RIGHT FRONT AT LAKEFRONT.jpg

1988 CORVETTE LEFT AT LAKEFRONT.jpg

1988 CORVETTE LEFT FRONT AT LAKEFRONT.jpg

1988 CORVETTE REAR AT LAKEFRONT.jpg

1988 CORVETTE RIGHT AT LAKEFRONT.jpg

Edited by Marty Roth
Driver Error ! (see edit history)
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

...I loved this 1994 Corvette just because it was one of only 91 built in Copper Metallic, making it the rarest Corvette color. I think we sold it for like $11,000. A bargain!

007.jpg

I've never seen a Corvette in that color--not even in

pictures.  Your production figure explains why.  Nice looking!

In how many different colors did Corvettes come in a 

typical year?  And in how many over the C4 generation?

38 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

And I WILL own a 93-95 ZR-1, preferably in a weird color. If you can make the reach to a ZR-1,

Here's a nice 91, but not a weird color.  Does have low miles.

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/d/fountain-hills-1991-zr1-corvette-c4/7437623400.html

00W0W_7nPJaNwmQZHz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

Very clean 1991 zr1 corvette. Lt5 engine, manual transmission. 40,500 miles. This car was traded into a Chevrolet dealership in 2003 and has been stored there inside ever since. I recently purchased it, had the fuel system cleaned out. New fuel pumps, new fuel injectors. Car seems to run great. Looks real good. Tires are probably 20 years old, will need new tires. $26,900

• Like 1

Ahh...a topic I feel at home in. Full disclaimer- I graduated high school when the C4 was the current 'vette, and fell in love with Corvette then. It took me another 12 years before I was able to trade my way into one, a very abused '84. Now- I've had that '84, an '86, a '93, and my all time favorite, a '96.

The styling is 1980s, love it or hate it. Personally the refresh in '91 made the bodystyle timeless to me- I much prefer them to the earlier C4s. There were so many made, right now they are the trailer park corvette- you can find an abused version anytime. I think that is part of the low collector interest- every one sees them as a low rent wanna be. But the C4 was a game changer. Even the '84 everyone loves to hate was amazing in its day, and the Z51 package, which my '84 had, was rough riding but handled like a slot car. Everyone I've had, except the '96, was a fixer-up that I had a ton of fun with, and made money on when I sold.

The '92 up cars are amazing dailies as long as you maintain them. Difficult to get in and out of, you develop a method to get out, and after you are in, they are a driver's car, especially the '89 and up with the ZF 6 speed manual. They get amazing gas mileage and are still decently quick. The issues with the Optispark ignition on the LT cars are in my opinion way overblown, and the first thing I do every time I get one is to program the fans to come on around 190 instead of the factory 220 or so.

If you can't swing a King of the Hill ZR1, a 1996 LT4 car is your best bet. They made 6,539 manual transmission '96 Corvettes- and if you got a manual in '96 Gm gave you a gift, in the form of an Lt4. Basically an Lt1 with better heads and a hotter cam, they were claimed to have 330 hp over the 300 in the auto cars. But actually, every one I've had or had access too has dyno'd in the 360-370 hp range. I've got a '98 Ls1  C5 right now and my LT4 would hang with it and I suspect would spank it. 

Like Matt, I'll own a '94-95 Zr1 someday- I'd prefer it to be Admiral Blue, which would be a bit rare. The other C4 which has managed to claw its way to actual collectible is the '96 Grand Sport- 1,000 made (810 coupes, 190 convertibles) all admiral blue with a white "skunk stripe" and red hash marks, all Lt4/6 speed cars. In my mind one of the most beautiful Corvettes ever to roll out of Bowling Green.

I'll be fine with folks not appreciating them. I'll snatch up every one I can, and use them like GM and God intended- in curves, with a huge smile on my face. This one was my baby. Daughter talked me into trading it for a Jeep, and I've been trying to get it back every since. It was a fairly high ranking autocross car in Texas  I was told when I purchased it. It had been lowered, was rough riding, and handled like it was on rails. Thus the chewed up air dam- possums and roadkill were an enemy to be reckoned with. And the sound of the LT4 shifted close to the 6500 redline was pure heaven....

20171110_152416.jpg

Edited by Roscoe (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Thank you for all of the comments.   I just conducted a Facebook marketplace search and found several.  I am still amazed.  You see other cars with less quality for more money.  I have owned Buick Reattas, had a total of 7, and enjoyed that car.  Same situation, a contemporary of the C4 except the C4 had a longer shelf life.  

I can "usually" tell when a C4 is not to be pursued, the language in the ad will guide you.  

The reason I am interested in the Burgundy and Grey 1986 Convertible is that it is a one owner car local to me with only 16,000 original miles for $13,000 or offer.    There is one from KC that is "Maui Blue" - at least that is what Reattas were called in that color that I would not touch with a ten foot pole.  

Here is a red 1989 with 75,000 miles - whole lot of red - for $8,000 asking and unsold after 7 weeks.  

No photo description available.

Here is a 40th Anniversary car for $15,500, 48,000 miles - 

May be an image of car

Here is a 1993 with 61,000 miles for $13,000 asking - 8 weeks ago 

May be an image of car and outdoors

• Like 1

Tell me more about the seats and comfort?   Corvette seating and comfort does not seem real.  The seats look well padded, but the shape does not.  I have owned Mercedes and BMW and currently my daily ride is a 2021 Toyota Tundra with power lumbar, etc.  I prefer more of an upright experience over what the Corvette seats look like, to me anyway.  

I drove a 1995 Mercedes Benz SL500 from Florida to Iowa over winter break and never had back and leg issues.  Not sure about a Corvette - 

May be an image of car

May be an image of car

Perspective from a non corvette owner. I like the styling of the c4?  Agree that I would buy the best one I could afford and I think there are plenty to choose from. Having a convertible mustang I would not hesitate to get a convertible version. During the warm months the top barely goes up on my wifes 'stang. I think they are the b%@$@^%stepchild at this time because they are relatively new. I am your age and remember when a person couldnt give away an 82 vette. Now that 3rd gen is getting a bit of love, just like the 4th will with time. I rode and drove a vette for the first time a couple of years ago. It was a late model Z06 that was owned by a friend. I have never had an interest in the corvette but after getting behind the wheel of that beast I was ready to buy one!

The Anniversary car is the one to own of the batch you're showing, followed by the red '93 convertible. Figure a 10% bump for any special edition, even though they built like 35% of the 1993 cars as 40th Anniversary models. I also find the later cars with the sleeker, more rounded noses more attractive but that's purely subjective. The later cars certainly ride better and have analog/digital instrument panels that are more reliable than the previous all-digital versions. The LT1 is considerably stronger than the L98, too (50+ horsepower) but the L98 is a torque factory. Engine reliability is very good for both and the 700R4 is bulletproof, as is the ZF 6-speed manual. Skip the Doug Nash 4+3, which is just a 4-speed with a Borg Warner overdrive on the tailshaft.

The red convertible isn't selling because the seats are cooked. That's easy to deduce.

In good condition, the seats are very comfortable although the driving position is a bit reclined. They look space-age funky but they're quite comfortable for long trips and highly adjustable. The big thing is practicing the C4 flop to get into the car--the wide sills make it a unique proposition. Usually put my right foot on the brake pedal, drop my butt into the seat, then drag my other foot in, but some guys do butt first then both feet in. Either way, it's not graceful nor easy and is the biggest knock on the Corvette ergonomics. All years will have this situation to deal with.

I agree with Matt on the Anniversary edition being the most desirable of the ones posted above.

I have not owned a C4 but I did get the chance to drive the one a relative owned.

The C4 did seem more civilized than the '78 Silver Anniversary L-82 / 4 Speed car I owned at the time.

Suspension on the C4 didn't seem overly harsh and was definitely not stiffer than my '78 with the Gymkhana suspension package.

The C4 does seem like a great way to get a ton of car for the money.

I do like the later front ends better as well, and was happy when they adopted the rectangular taillamps, just to freshen the car a bit.  I am not a mechanical gauge guy either, yet I use digital display for my Tundra.  But generationally, big difference between then and now.  

I find seats quite comfortable. However, I wouldn't take my Corvette on longer than 2 hrs ride. The noise is what annoys me. I have a stock muffler, and at the cruising speeds around 80km/h sound is quite annoying.

I also have tundra as a daily driver. And what a difference in view of the road! In Tundra you can see miles ahead.

4 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

The Anniversary car is the one to own of the batch you're showing, followed by the red '93 convertible. Figure a 10% bump for any special edition, even though they built like 35% of the 1993 cars as 40th Anniversary models. I also find the later cars with the sleeker, more rounded noses more attractive but that's purely subjective. The later cars certainly ride better and have analog/digital instrument panels that are more reliable than the previous all-digital versions. The LT1 is considerably stronger than the L98, too (50+ horsepower) but the L98 is a torque factory. Engine reliability is very good for both and the 700R4 is bulletproof, as is the ZF 6-speed manual. Skip the Doug Nash 4+3, which is just a 4-speed with a Borg Warner overdrive on the tailshaft.

The red convertible isn't selling because the seats are cooked. That's easy to deduce.

In good condition, the seats are very comfortable although the driving position is a bit reclined. They look space-age funky but they're quite comfortable for long trips and highly adjustable. The big thing is practicing the C4 flop to get into the car--the wide sills make it a unique proposition. Usually put my right foot on the brake pedal, drop my butt into the seat, then drag my other foot in, but some guys do butt first then both feet in. Either way, it's not graceful nor easy and is the biggest knock on the Corvette ergonomics. All years will have this situation to deal with.

I agree with everything you have said; on these models